PDA

View Full Version : wot, no petrol cartel in Wick?

bigpete
31-Aug-06, 16:13
Hi

Just driven through Wick and Thurso. In Wick, unleaded fuel:
CYMA £102.9
Dunnetts £102.00
Scottish Fuels £101.00
Elm Tree 97.9p

THURSO: Every one of 'em at £102.9 - says it all really..

(We filled up at Elm Tree; obviously) - Nice to see the wooden framework of Tesco going up!

Tristan
01-Sep-06, 06:25
Just came up from Inverness.....10p cheaper.

Only a couple of years ago there was less than a 3p difference.

mr do dar
01-Sep-06, 21:01
hi people of the north .
iv just come back from inverness after working there for a week and the petrol prices have gone down two times ...on my way home i called to tesco to fill up and the price for petrol was at 89.9 and diesel was 91.9 thats a big saving ..
come on TESCO get building fast lol:lol:

sam
01-Sep-06, 21:06
Hi

Just driven through Wick and Thurso. In Wick, unleaded fuel:
CYMA £102.9
Dunnetts £102.00
Scottish Fuels £101.00
Elm Tree 97.9p

THURSO: Every one of 'em at £102.9 - says it all really..

(We filled up at Elm Tree; obviously) - Nice to see the wooden framework of Tesco going up!

elm tree were £102.00 tonight for unleaded & 99.9 for diesel so their unleaded went up kinda quick :confused

bigpete
01-Sep-06, 21:46
Sam:"elm tree were £102.00 tonight for unleaded & 99.9 for diesel so their unleaded went up kinda quick "

Typical! - front page of the 'Groat today was 97.9p unleaded, the owner was saying in it; 'people are driving over from Thurso to fill up' - suppose now they've all read that , they drive over and 'oops' sorry it's £1.02. As Mr do dar says above 'come on Tesco' !

connieb19
01-Sep-06, 22:11
Sam:"elm tree were £102.00 tonight for unleaded & 99.9 for diesel so their unleaded went up kinda quick "

Typical! - front page of the 'Groat today was 97.9p unleaded, the owner was saying in it; 'people are driving over from Thurso to fill up' - suppose now they've all read that , they drive over and 'oops' sorry it's £1.02. As Mr do dar says above 'come on Tesco' !
Shame on Elm Tree!! [evil] What a dirty trick!

mickey101
01-Sep-06, 22:22
Hi
Does anyone know if he took a delivery or of any other legitimate reason for the sudden price rise ? Or is it as we all suspect pressure from the rest of the cartel.
Roll on Tesco and Roll on ASDA this profiteering CRAP has gone on long enough.

M

Sairheed
02-Sep-06, 19:23
It seems to me that "taking delivery" is irrelevant to petrol pricing, here - the pump price goes up at the merest whisper of an increase, down south, and stays high despite deliveries coming and going, after the news of lower prices.

footie chick
02-Sep-06, 20:43
J & G Sutherland in Halkirk is 101.9p for diesel

Doolally
02-Sep-06, 20:54
The bit in the paper I laughed at was when one of the local pump owners said that the price was needed as selling petrol was not justifiable any longer. This is even at the grossly inflated prices they are dishing it out at just now.

They are trying to make out that it's purely a service to the community they are making.... Clap Trap!

They were the first to object to Tesco coming to Wick.

Going by what they have said in the papers, you would think that they would be happy for Tesco to take such a chore away from them!!

footie chick
02-Sep-06, 21:00
I was ALOT cheaper getting my central heating oil from Dalcross Inverness than I was getting someone local £30.00/tank money better off in my pocket ;) local companys are at it!

sharon
02-Sep-06, 21:55
i filled up in wicks dunnets today, they were 97.9 unleaded and 99.9 for deisel......

Fran
03-Sep-06, 00:29
After all the publicity re their cheap petrol and being the cheapest filling station in Caithness, elm Tree Filling Station have now put their price up again. tonight they got a new delivery. I notice dunnets price is lower than elm tree and dunnets are also cheapest in wick.

angela5
03-Sep-06, 04:47
They'll be able to keep their petrol/diesel prices down when tescos arrives, why not now?

KennyL
03-Sep-06, 06:32
petrol at 95 cents / litre, life good.

COACHMAN
03-Sep-06, 09:40
The Price At Elm Tree Did Go Up Due To A Higher Price From A Supplier.there Was A Delivery Last Night And It Was A Lower Price Hence We Were Able To Take The Price Down.
The World Market Price Of Fuel Changes By The Hour So Does The Price We Buy It At .
Most Of The Fuel In Caithness Is Supplied By One Inverness Firm So Why Is There Not A Price Drop In Thurso.
That Is Were Your Cartel Is.
It Is Strange Dunnets Are In Wick And Thurso But A Lot Dearer In Thurso.
If As All You People State There Is A Cartel Report It To The Oft Or To Trading Standards.

daviddd
03-Sep-06, 10:39
The Price At Elm Tree Did Go Up Due To A Higher Price From A Supplier.there Was A Delivery Last Night And It Was A Lower Price Hence We Were Able To Take The Price Down.
The World Market Price Of Fuel Changes By The Hour So Does The Price We Buy It At .
Most Of The Fuel In Caithness Is Supplied By One Inverness Firm So Why Is There Not A Price Drop In Thurso.
That Is Were Your Cartel Is.
It Is Strange Dunnets Are In Wick And Thurso But A Lot Dearer In Thurso.
If As All You People State There Is A Cartel Report It To The Oft Or To Trading Standards.
Methinks the seller doth protest too much!

angela5
03-Sep-06, 10:42
90.9 at Tesco in Dingwall.

MadPict
03-Sep-06, 14:10
Seeing some of these prices (89.9, 90.9) in the north makes me wonder why down here some stations are pricing at 97.9, 99.9 still.

Methinks the seller doth protest too much!

Methinks the poster doth use Caps too much also...:D

Nice to see a member of the fuel supply industry here - can you explain your pricing policy in Wick and Thurso?

Maybe the people of Caithness should create their own cartel? Buy out a petrol station, get their fuel cheap from the south and sell it at a price which undercuts the local sharks? Could such a thing happen?

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 14:33
MadPict:Maybe the people of Caithness should create their own cartel? Buy out a petrol station, get their fuel cheap from the south and sell it at a price which undercuts the local sharks? Could such a thing happen?

Don't know about that, take a LOT of organising and money, it would be nice if one of 'em put their prices artifically low and WE ALL used him only..

BUT there is something going on nationally; "If a large number of us banded together and chose to give all our custom to one major forecourt chain" - have a look at http://www.pipelinecard.org/ interesting idea, be good to see how it pans out

changilass
03-Sep-06, 14:34
Not sure why everyone expects fuel prices to drop when Tesco come.

Unless they have changed their pricing policy, that it.

They have a national pricing policy, which is that they won't be beaten on price within a 3 mile radius. This does not mean they will be cheaper, just that they will match the lowest price in the area.

willowbankbear
03-Sep-06, 14:39
Cheer every1 up with that post Changilass!!! I havnt got a car yet so it doesnt bother me what price they charge but its still grim for the folks that do:~(

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 14:52
changilass: "Unless they [Tesco] have changed their pricing policy, that it."

Well they just might be doing that, they have problems with ASDA having 'National' and them having 'Local' pricing - having to constantly check local prices and spend time changing the pumps and displays, sometimes three times a day.
From Tesco customer service HQ: "Thank you for your email. We advise that our fuel pricing policy is currently under going changes. As soon as the new Store [Wick] has been completed, a revised fuel pricing policy will be made available.
Kind Regards, Jaimie Smyth, Tesco Customer Service

sam
03-Sep-06, 15:45
was in wick today and i see that the elm tree filling station has taken the petrol back down again to 97.9:confused

WeeBurd
03-Sep-06, 16:04
Me thinks the "Cartel" are taking it in turns with the cheaper prices, so each filling station is getting a share of the profits [lol] .

No cartel? Hmmmpphhhhffff.

BTW, Thurso sellers take note: Mr Burd did his weekly fill up in Wick this week, instead of the usual stop off in Thurso. Will continue to do so whilst it's cheaper through there!

MadPict
03-Sep-06, 16:10
bigpete,
That fuel card scheme was launched in November 2005 and it seems no closer to actually getting off the ground today, as it did back then. Looking at the site updates it seems like "There has been little significant progress on the card in the last few weeks" may well be a regular opening line....