PDA

View Full Version : Cowcaddens Firfighters - The outcome

brokencross
31-Aug-06, 14:06
An earlier post highlighted a news item about firefighters refusing to handout fire safety leaflets at a Gay Pride March (Pride Scotia) in Glasgow and them facing disciplinary action.
Well for those interested, this is the final outcome: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/5301334.stm

Whitewater
31-Aug-06, 16:51
Just read the article, it is correct. Our emergency services should not choose whom they help or assist. The Gay people have to pay their taxes as well.

percy toboggan
31-Aug-06, 17:24
Since when are public servants required to attend displays of rampant homosexuality?

They have my admiration for resisting the politically correct nonsense which is being foisted upon us by over educated lunatics and 'diversity' professionals.
I would not wish to go within a kilometre of a gaggle of homos' marching, mincing or whatever. I hope these lads appeal. More power to their collective elbows. The limp wristed mob can please themselves whether they march or not , attendance should be entirely voluntary, on a professional or any other kind of basis.

Ann
31-Aug-06, 17:40
Since when are public servants required to attend displays of rampant homosexuality?

They have my admiration for resisting the politically correct nonsense which is being foisted upon us by over educated lunatics and 'diversity' professionals.
I would not wish to go within a kilometre of a gaggle of homos' marching, mincing or whatever. I hope these lads appeal. More power to their collective elbows. The limp wristed mob can please themselves whether they march or not , attendance should be entirely voluntary, on a professional or any other kind of basis.

What politically correct nonsense in relation to this thread please?

WeeBurd
31-Aug-06, 17:45
So where does it stop, Percy - firefighters refusing to work Sunday's because it's against their religious beliefs?

brokencross
31-Aug-06, 17:53
Percy Toboggan, you're either trying to wind people up or you are missing the point.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. However, forget the cause or the reason for the march; it was a large public gathering where the fire authority were hoping to pass on a fire safety message by the firefighters handing out leaflets. The firefighters were not being asked to march, condone or condemn the cause; only to do their jobs promoting fire safety awareness amongst the public.
And before you ask, No, I am not one of the "limp wristed mob" you refer to in your less than kind, homophobic post.

scorrie
31-Aug-06, 19:23

I am sure our noble shift on Pink Watch were far too busy watching TV and playing cards to get involved with actually carrying out orders!!

There is a world of a difference between being politically correct and simply treating a section of the community the same as you would anyone else. Gay people are hardly "unclean" just because we may disapprove of their sexuality.

Nobody can take such stereotypical and shallow thinking seriously and I think your post is Too Boggan for its own good and you must be Lugein' the plot. Yours in sport, Sister Sledge ;o)

bigpete
31-Aug-06, 19:29
scorrie
"I am sure our noble shift on Pink Watch were far too busy watching TV and playing cards to get involved with actually carrying out orders!!"

Quick question Scorrie; have you ever been a fire fighter?

percy toboggan
31-Aug-06, 22:03
What politically correct nonsense in relation to this thread please?

The politically correct nonsense which directs firefighters to attend an event like a gay 'pride' march. The target audience for fire prevention leaflets can be reached any afternoon of the week in any town centre or at any number of sporting or mainstream social events. I do not suggest homosexuals are 'unclean' although the mechanics of some of their personal doings might be regarded as such by some. It's all a matter of personal preference and choice.

The senior officers who 'ordered' these men to attend this event should, in my opinion, be sacked. Any such attendance should have been on a purely voluntary basis, once again a matter of personal preference and choice.

connieb19
31-Aug-06, 22:08
I bet they'd be there like a shot if it was a hen night they had been asked to attend lol.:eek:

Ann
31-Aug-06, 22:41
The politically correct nonsense which directs firefighters to attend an event like a gay 'pride' march. The target audience for fire prevention leaflets can be reached any afternoon of the week in any town centre or at any number of sporting or mainstream social events. I do not suggest homosexuals are 'unclean' although the mechanics of some of their personal doings might be regarded as such by some. It's all a matter of personal preference and choice.

The senior officers who 'ordered' these men to attend this event should, in my opinion, be sacked. Any such attendance should have been on a purely voluntary basis, once again a matter of personal preference and choice.

I'm glad you are not in the army Percy; not much good if you refused to follow orders there.

percy toboggan
01-Sep-06, 17:45
I'm glad you are not in the army Percy; not much good if you refused to follow orders there.

I agree.
Remember that until fairly recently homosexuality in the Army was an extremely serious offence. I should add I have no wish to turn the clock back but I can't see homo's being too popular in the barracks.

These 'orders' were mis-guided. This topic has been all over the radio airwaves today and the concensus is predictably split about 65-35 in favour of the firefighters.

What would have happened if one or two of the men had been muslims? Would they have been 'ordered' to attend this silly march? I ask because apparently some of their objections were on religious grounds. They didn't like the idea of homo's dressing up as Nuns and Priests. Also, past parades have resulted in some of the firemen being 'touched up' - apparently, and subject to drunken, ribald comments.

mccaugm
01-Sep-06, 19:51
Just read the article, it is correct. Our emergency services should not choose whom they help or assist. The Gay people have to pay their taxes as well.

Well said....why the march was held is irrelevant and who attended it..its the fire safety message that is of paramount importance.

Normally I support firefighters as they do a fabulous job and risk their lives on a daily basis but this was just handing out leaflets to the public...

gleeber
01-Sep-06, 21:41
Communication between people, and the breaking down of archaic values, are directly linked to the expanding idea, that, homosexuality doesnt need to be prejudiced against.
Percys thoughts on the subject are as valid as mine, and I recognise them, and their source in me, and choose to try to change.
I was impressed by the comments of the senior fire officer who defended the brigades decision. He basically said that it was his forces policy not to discriminate against any minority group, no matter what the source of the complaint.
It's interesting ,that the puppet archbishop of glasgow, Mario Conti, has come out and defended the rebuked firemen claiming their rights were infringed on religious grounds. Hes right too.
My own idea is why should I allow something as private as someone elses sexual relations, be judged by me and my sexual preferences.

percy toboggan
02-Sep-06, 16:35
My own idea is why should I allow something as private as someone elses sexual relations, be judged by me and my sexual preferences.

All very reasonable stuff but when you are required to immerse yourself in an event generate by those sexual preferences, and they happen to be different to your own, and when you are required to dress up in a uniform much beloved of homo-eroticists, apparently thus exposing yourself to an even greater degree of attention than you would welcome or seek what then?

I think it understandable to decline attendance.

You chose the word 'archaic' in yout post gleeber. You know as well as I do that if such a word truly applied here then there would possibly have been a different reaction. Homosexuality was illegal, even in private less than half a century ago. Laws can be changed with the flick of a pen, attitudes and cultural resistance take much, much longer, often centuries. These marchers would have skulked in dark corners when I was a boy. Now they flaunt themselves dressed in very little, often lampooning religious figures. I anticipate the time when a few will dress as bearded Imams from the neck up, wearing only a thonge down below. The reaction to this would be most interesting.

There will be an ultimate conflict of tolerance and repression brewing here anyway. No doubt those who feel the firefighters are wrong would also champion muslim beliefs and rights. Taken to the logical conclusion though, when the muslims hold a majority in England as one day they might will there still be homo-pride marches? Ask yourself.

gleeber
02-Sep-06, 17:01
Its not about right and wrong for me. It's about my ability, and willingness to change, and in the process, discover, that discrimination is not nice. I have no difficulty with homosexuality as long as they dont make it compulsory. I would still battle for equality for hetereosexuals even if the homosexuals displayed the same intollerant attitude towards my gender as many of us do towards them.
As for the muslim fear. Thats different. Bona fide Muslims offer no threat to my existance. Muslims with murderous intentions do. I am happy to differentiate the difference and not discriminate against all muslims.

percy toboggan
02-Sep-06, 17:23
[quote=gleeber;129140]I would still battle for equality for hetereosexuals even if the homosexuals displayed the same intollerant attitude towards my gender as many of us do towards them.
quote]
They already love your gender, especially the ones that share it. Perhaps you mean your 'sexuality' if this is indeed the case and it ever comes to not being 'tolerated' then we are all doomed.

Homosexuality when taken to its logical conclusion means an end to the human race within a few generations. This is why it's flawed. Why it's growth and encouragement is wrong. 'Encourage ment might seem a strange word but I have no doubt a few of these people opt for it, rather than being fully born into it.

Though it might be a 'natural' condition, we can all thank our lucky stars it is not a normal one.

Just my view, and gleeber, I thank you for your tolerance of it and willingness to challenge it

Ann
02-Sep-06, 22:08
"Homosexuality when taken to its logical conclusion means an end to the human race within a few generations. This is why it's flawed. Why it's growth and encouragement is wrong."

"Logical conclusion"? Do you mean that all hetersexual people are going to jump on the bandwagon and become homosexuals to stay in fashion? I don't think so!

And as for "growth and encouragement" surely you are not referring to the fact that we now acknowledge homosexuality as existing without perversion in most cases.

What is it with a lot of men? They seem to be irrationally frightened of homosexuality, and condemn it loudly and vociferously on many occasions. Some females too I know, but not so many from what I see.

Have they all been the subject of approaches or harrassment by a homosexual pervert or do they just think they, homosexuals, are all perverted?

I can honestly say that I have been severely harrassed by heterosexual men from my teenage years onwards (and condemned for retaliating I may add) but never have I been harrassed by a lesbian. There are still "normal" men who think that it is ok to harrass a women and that she is bound to be flattered and enjoy their unasked for attentions and cannot accept that they are the perverts.

I am sorry if this offends anyone's religious or sincere beliefs; it is not intended, but I cannot keep quiet on something I feel quite strongly about; the abuse of a section of our society.

Naefearjustbeer
02-Sep-06, 22:35
Irrespective of whether homosexuals are perverts or not, If you are asked to do something that is against your sense of moral or religious beliefs then whoever that is doing the asking should of been disciplined not the workers who quite rightly refused. You would not ask a Muslim or a Jew to do something against there religious beliefs. So why should a white christian be forced against there beliefs to do something like that. It is a scandal that the men have been disciplined.

Ann
02-Sep-06, 23:12
Irrespective of whether homosexuals are perverts or not, If you are asked to do something that is against your sense of moral or religious beliefs then whoever that is doing the asking should of been disciplined not the workers who quite rightly refused. You would not ask a Muslim or a Jew to do something against there religious beliefs. So why should a white christian be forced against there beliefs to do something like that. It is a scandal that the men have been disciplined.

How can handing out leaflets be against any religion? I just cannot see the connection.

Is it that they would become unclean or break religious laws if they handed out the leaflets to homosexuals? How can that be?

Does the doctor who has strong moral beliefs refuse to treat a prostitute who appears in A & E? Does the nurse with the same patient refuse to look after her when she is admitted to a ward? Does every minister refuse to marry a couple who have no obvious connections to the Church or who have been "living in sin" or where the bride is pregnant?

I'm sorry, but I really do think that most of the furore is about peoples' irrational fear and hatred of homosexuals rather than any religious reason. I know not everyone approves of them marching dressed in strange clothes and flaunting their sexuality just as some people don't approve of mini skirts and low necklines or tight jeans. It is all a matter of degree.

Have none of the protestors here been to gala parades? Anything goes! How weird is it that some people consistently dress up in outfits of the opposite sex yet it seems to be perfectly acceptable amongst our "own" folk?

As I said before, it seem to be all a matter of dregree.

maverick
02-Sep-06, 23:24
In the Christian faith people believe that homosexuality is a sin against God.
People in society believe that homosexuals are perverts. I myself believe that homosexuality is not natural ( as in goes against the purpose of procreation) and dont generaly agree with the concept of homosexuality. If a person's house was on fire and that person was a known homosexual, and firefighters refused to help and that person was to die, that in my opinion would be a crime against humanity (and probably murder in this country). When the fire fighters signed on it didn't give them the right to pick and choose who's fires to put out. Regardless of there opinions on homosexuality ( and they are certianly entitled to them) they have a moral obligation to society and like it or not (unfortunatly) homosexuals are part of that society, and the firemen deserved to be disciplined for their actions...

scorrie
02-Sep-06, 23:57
In the Christian faith people believe that homosexuality is a sin against God.
People in society believe that homosexuals are perverts. I myself believe that homosexuality is not natural ( as in goes against the purpose of procreation) and dont generaly agree with the concept of homosexuality. If a person's house was on fire and that person was a known homosexual, and firefighters refused to help and that person was to die, that in my opinion would be a crime against humanity (and probably murder in this country). When the fire fighters signed on it didn't give them the right to pick and choose who's fires to put out. Regardless of there opinions on homosexuality ( and they are certianly entitled to them) they have a moral obligation to society and like it or not (unfortunatly) homosexuals are part of that society, and the firemen deserved to be disciplined for their actions...

The trouble with the Christian faith is that it is largely blind faith and has not moved with the times to embrace the greater knowledge we possess of ourselves today. The creation of a human being from the coming together of the sperm and egg is an inexact science. I have a theory that God died while he was still on the Beta version and left behind the genetic flaws that occur to a greater or less extent. There is a working model there, but there is a margin of error to take into account. How big that margin of error is will never be fully understood because we stereotype our kids from a very early age and boys have to be tough and running around with toy guns, while girls get their dolls and practice for their main function in life, bearing and raising children. I ask myself which is the more perverse image, seeing a man openly expressing love for another man, or seeing a young lad pretend to kill Indians with his plastic Winchester or slaughtering Iraqis in a Desert Storm computer game?

I can assure everyone that there are as many Heterosexual people getting up to antics that would be considered perverse as there are Homosexuals. The big argument always seems to be that if everyone were homosexual then the human race would die out. This is a pointless argument because it requires a set of conditions that are never going to exist. There is room in the world for Homosexuals and compared to some of the evil Heterosexuals that exist in this world they have a far more valid place in my opinion.

Firefighting is a highly professional role, there is no room for orders to be disobeyed. If anyone wants to make a big moral stand then they should resign from the job. Otherwise get on with what you are being paid to do. After all it is not very macho to be able to tackle a big fire and yet run away like a wee lassie at the first sign of a limp wrist.

ps I have never been a Firefighter but was once offered the part of Bayleaf in London's Burning, unfortunately it was a part his wife needed more ;o)

Ann
03-Sep-06, 00:24
"I can assure everyone that there are as many Heterosexual people getting up to antics that would be considered perverse as there are Homosexuals."

This is part of what I am trying to say, thank you Scorrie.

And what about the unfortunate men (and women) who are devout Christians and also homosexual? The ones who deny even to themselves their sexual being and get married to be normal and have children but still struggle with their unwanted and un-Christian feelings.

Think of what they go through, what their wives go through and how they try to have a Christian marriage but are desparately unhappy and feel so guilty.

How can that be right? Perfectly good people but in turmoil.

percy toboggan
03-Sep-06, 08:42
[quote=Ann;129238
Have they all been the subject of approaches or harrassment by a homosexual pervert or do they just think they, homosexuals, are all perverted?

.[/quote]

Actually, yes, in my case to both questions. Any divergence from the norm is a perversion to some degree. It's only the perjorative use of the word that might upset you. I've already agreed it's usually a natural condition.

I'm not a practicing Christian before you ask, and I can't see it as an 'abomination' under God. I just think it's not quite right and shouldn't be encouraged. Recognition is a different matter. It is and never should have been a Crime of course.

Let these fellows get on with what they want to do quietly , in private, without feeling the need to shout from the rooftops about it. If we are to have sub-cultures of this kind they can & should be tolerated and accepted by consent, and co-operation...not rammed down people throats.

It is ludicrous to think a firefighter would not apply himself 100% to rescue a homosexual from a burning building. Pure fantasy.

That's my lot on this.

gleeber
03-Sep-06, 09:31
Let these fellows get on with what they want to do quietly , in private, without feeling the need to shout from the rooftops about it. If we are to have sub-cultures of this kind they can & should be tolerated and accepted by consent, and co-operation...not rammed down people throats.

They do mostly. However, some of them have become so disenfranchised from what most of us take for the norm, that this is their form of rebellion.
I cant imagine what it must be like for young homosexuals growing up in a climate of thoughts like have been expressed here about their very existance.
I know what prejudice is like though and I know the effects.
Life is difficult enough being "normal" but if your tagged with some minority function, then, that person will also take on board the idea that there is something wrong with them and an attitude that "I am not normal" Homosexuals get that attitude from the percys and mavericks of the world and although I was a part of that discrimination for many years, I have now chosen to accept homosexuality as a purely private affair between consenting adults and the homosexuals as equal human beings.

Ann
03-Sep-06, 10:48
Pax Percy! Anyone here to help me down from my high horse?

connieb19
03-Sep-06, 10:50
Pax Percy! Anyone here to help me down from my high horse?
LOL, try the fire brigade.. :lol:

maverick
03-Sep-06, 11:05
They do mostly. However, some of them have become so disenfranchised from what most of us take for the norm, that this is their form of rebellion.
I cant imagine what it must be like for young homosexuals growing up in a climate of thoughts like have been expressed here about their very existance.
I know what prejudice is like though and I know the effects.
Life is difficult enough being "normal" but if your tagged with some minority function, then, that person will also take on board the idea that there is something wrong with them and an attitude that "I am not normal" Homosexuals get that attitude from the percys and mavericks of the world and although I was a part of that discrimination for many years, I have now chosen to accept homosexuality as a purely private affair between consenting adults and the homosexuals as equal human beings.

Gleeber i have never discriminated against anybody's race,creed,colour,religion or gender. I may be of the OPINION that homosexuality is not a natural concept. ( which is my opinion) I am also of the OPINION that firefighters ( or any professional body) should not discriminate against a person because they are GAY. I have no desire to see people die because of their gender or have their lives put at risk. I also respect the fact that you are entitled to your OPINION but don't stand in judgement of others because one day you may be judged yourself...............

Lolabelle
03-Sep-06, 11:23
I have two very good friends who are lesbians. I don't condone their relationship because to be totally honest I think that homosexuallity is wrong. But I love my friends and do not judge them because of thier sexual orientation, but as individuals, people, they are great, I love thier company and find them great fun. Having said that, I wouldn't want to go to a gay parade, but as a chef, if we had, say a gay "wedding" I would have to cater. I couldn't let my personal and religious beliefs interfere in such a matter. So if it was part of thier job to attend, then they should attend. Or get a different job.

connieb19
03-Sep-06, 11:31
Why are fully trained firefighters being paid to spend valuable time handing out leaflets anyway? Surely this could have been done by volunteers.

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 11:37
Hi
I may be wrong, but maybe I'm the only poster on this thread who was a Wholetime Operational Fire Fighter? (11 years, West Mids).
It's fascinating to read the wide diversity of opinions on this topic, ranging from Percy's pretty direct comments, to the unnecessary slurs of Scorrie: "I am sure our noble shift on Pink Watch were far too busy watching TV and playing cards to get involved with actually carrying out orders!! ... After all it is not very macho to be able to tackle a big fire and yet run away like a wee lassie at the first sign of a limp wrist." No doubt Scorrie has his reasons for demeaning the Fire service? One finds this envy in all walks of life, springs to mind Rudyard Kiplings 'Tommy'.
Invitation to Scorrie, drop into the Watch Room of Cowcaddens Fire Station, 91 Port Dundas Road, Cowcaddens, Glasgow G4 1ES or if you can't make it down, ring: 0141 302 3111, then let us all know if they agree that they run off at the first sign of a limp wrist.. (silly boy, Scorrie).
Maverick's "If a person's house was on fire and that person was a known homosexual, and fire-fighters refused to help and that person was to die, that in my opinion would be a crime against humanity (and probably murder in this country), I have no desire to see people die because of their gender or have their lives put at risk." I'm sure you have no worries whatsoever Maverick, there is a whole world of difference between saving someone's life and property and handing out leaflets and getting comments like "can I touch your Fire-Man's helmet Officer"?..
I personally, fully agree with Gleeber; "I have now chosen to accept homosexuality as a purely private affair between consenting adults and the homosexuals as equal human beings.".
I attended one incident about 2am at a Remand Centre where a 'mail person on remand' set fire to his mattress in his cell. We arrived just as the Prison Officers were using a hydraulic ram to force the door out of the jam, a quick chat to access the situation and turns out the chap was a persistent thief and it was mentioned he was homosexual. The door goes down and after the thick acrid smoke had cleared the bloke was found lying on his back, not breathing. As I was a First Aid Instructor at that time (used to get £7 an hour for instructing when off-shift, nice!) carried out CPR; used a Brookes Airway to get him going again, but did not cross my mind it was snogging a queer.
Whether or not it was wrong to discipline those fire-fighters for refusing to hand out leaflets is something down to the conscious of each one - bit inane to say 'orders is order's - not exactly important is it? Personally I think the ADO who thought it was a 'good idea' to hand out leaflets was a bit of a prat, it has nothing to do with core duties, just a PC observing twit who should have known it would put the backs up of a few fire-fighters, apart from 'can I feel your fire-mans helmet' to telling 'em you're actually wearing 'undress' uniform (honest) is open to misinterpretation. Storm in a teacup really, but bet that it won't happen again..

connieb19
03-Sep-06, 11:37
I have two very good friends who are lesbians. I don't condone their relationship because to be totally honest I think that homosexuallity is wrong. But I love my friends and do not judge them because of thier sexual orientation, but as individuals, people, they are great, I love thier company and find them great fun. Having said that, I wouldn't want to go to a gay parade, but as a chef, if we had, say a gay "wedding" I would have to cater. I couldn't let my personal and religious beliefs interfere in such a matter. So if it was part of thier job to attend, then they should attend. Or get a different job.
If you was expected to wear the typical waitress short skirt and pinny, knowing you were going to be ogled at while handing out volouvonts, would you still be happy to do it?
I believe forcing the firemen to attend is sexual harrasment.

maverick
03-Sep-06, 11:53
I have a question for you bigpete, if it was women making those comments to the firemen, i wonder how many would complain of sexual harassment?

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 11:56
maverick:
"I have a question for you bigpete, if it was women making those comments to the firemen, i wonder how many would complain of sexual harassment?"

Are being silly?!

scorrie
03-Sep-06, 12:55
Hi
I may be wrong, but maybe I'm the only poster on this thread who was a Wholetime Operational Fire Fighter? (11 years, West Mids).
It's fascinating to read the wide diversity of opinions on this topic, ranging from Percy's pretty direct comments, to the unnecessary slurs of Scorrie: "I am sure our noble shift on Pink Watch were far too busy watching TV and playing cards to get involved with actually carrying out orders!! ... After all it is not very macho to be able to tackle a big fire and yet run away like a wee lassie at the first sign of a limp wrist." No doubt Scorrie has his reasons for demeaning the Fire service? One finds this envy in all walks of life, springs to mind Rudyard Kiplings 'Tommy'.
Invitation to Scorrie, drop into the Watch Room of Cowcaddens Fire Station, 91 Port Dundas Road, Cowcaddens, Glasgow G4 1ES or if you can't make it down, ring: 0141 302 3111, then let us all know if they agree that they run off at the first sign of a limp wrist.. (silly boy, Scorrie).
Maverick's "If a person's house was on fire and that person was a known homosexual, and fire-fighters refused to help and that person was to die, that in my opinion would be a crime against humanity (and probably murder in this country), I have no desire to see people die because of their gender or have their lives put at risk." I'm sure you have no worries whatsoever Maverick, there is a whole world of difference between saving someone's life and property and handing out leaflets and getting comments like "can I touch your Fire-Man's helmet Officer"?..
I personally, fully agree with Gleeber; "I have now chosen to accept homosexuality as a purely private affair between consenting adults and the homosexuals as equal human beings.".
I attended one incident about 2am at a Remand Centre where a 'mail person on remand' set fire to his mattress in his cell. We arrived just as the Prison Officers were using a hydraulic ram to force the door out of the jam, a quick chat to access the situation and turns out the chap was a persistent thief and it was mentioned he was homosexual. The door goes down and after the thick acrid smoke had cleared the bloke was found lying on his back, not breathing. As I was a First Aid Instructor at that time (used to get £7 an hour for instructing when off-shift, nice!) carried out CPR; used a Brookes Airway to get him going again, but did not cross my mind it was snogging a queer.
Whether or not it was wrong to discipline those fire-fighters for refusing to hand out leaflets is something down to the conscious of each one - bit inane to say 'orders is order's - not exactly important is it? Personally I think the ADO who thought it was a 'good idea' to hand out leaflets was a bit of a prat, it has nothing to do with core duties, just a PC observing twit who should have known it would put the backs up of a few fire-fighters, apart from 'can I feel your fire-mans helmet' to telling 'em you're actually wearing 'undress' uniform (honest) is open to misinterpretation. Storm in a teacup really, but bet that it won't happen again..

I did suspect this was coming when you asked earlier about whether I had ever been a Firefighter. I assume the (11 years, West Mids) suffix is an indication that Firefighters consider that they are similar to the armed forces.

I note that you quote the parts of my post that suit your theory that my response is a slur on the Fire Service. Have you never heard about being "tounge in cheek"

You should note that I said "Firefighting is a highly professional role" and "be able to tackle a big fire"

The use of these phrases demonstrates that I am giving due credit to the fire service in general. It is not the Fire Service in general that I am talking about anyway, it is these particular ones who refused to carry out what can hardly be described as a hazardous task and I genuinely find it bizarre that men who are courageous enough to tackle a blazing building should be incapable of handing out leaflets to gay people.

As far as envy is concerned, if I were to be envious of a Firefighter it would be of one capable of carrying out their given duties without prejudice.

Lighten up a bit BigPete, life needs a bit of humour.

ps I was once offered a job as a Special Constable but had to decline due to meeting only half the criteria of the second part of the job title ;o)

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 13:37
Corrie: I did suspect this was coming when you asked earlier about whether I had ever been a Firefighter. I assume the (11 years, West Mids) suffix is an indication that Firefighters consider that they are similar to the armed forces. [Yep, originally firemen were recruited from the Navy; Head for heights, discipline, that sort of thing, the terms Leading Fireman, Sub-officer etc are Navy based]
I note that you quote the parts of my post that suit your theory that my response is a slur on the Fire Service. [well Pink Watch for a start] Have you never heard about being "tounge in cheek" [Fire service humour has a great tradition. After a nasty shout, most people would find our humour 'sick', but it's just the way we deal with the aftermath of sweeping up some toddlers brains in a motorway pileup] You should note that I said "Firefighting is a highly professional role" and "be able to tackle a big fire" The use of these phrases demonstrates that I am giving due credit to the fire service in general. [fair enough] It is not the Fire Service in general that I am talking about anyway, it is these particular ones who refused to carry out what can hardly be described as a hazardous task [I]and I genuinely find it bizarre that men who are courageous enough to tackle a blazing building should be incapable [not incapable,just did not fancy doing it] of handing out leaflets to gay people. As far as envy is concerned, if I were to be envious of a Firefighter it would be of one capable of carrying out their given duties without prejudice. Lighten up a bit BigPete, life needs a bit of humour. [you've obviously not been in an organisation that faces danger as a group. Humour? hmm the Fire service is a lovely place for humour. typical; On morning Parade, we were all told that the fire alarm system in a large department store had broken down, we had been getting a lot of Mickey's and the system was being repaired. The sub instructed one of our 'Probies' (Probationers) he was to get a pair of field-glasses and the megaphone, climb to the top of our drill tower; 60ft and keep watch on the building, and if he saw smoke was to alert us below doing our duties.. sounds daft but the way the sub put it over was great.. (left him there all day).
'London's Burning' basically the first episode or two were reflective after that it dissolved into mainly nonsense.
Lighten up a bit BigPete [I'm not serious Corrie, all this cowcaddens stuff was minor, see the Manchester fire-fighter in the tumble dryer, heavens above, health and safety went mad]

scorrie
03-Sep-06, 19:24
Sorry, I'm not Corrie. There was a Scottish Folk duo called the Corries but one of them died and unless the other one went on under the name Corrie, or I am part of a Scottish hillside left over from glaciation then I think I am actually the local seabird or football fan, Scorrie.

The mix of black and red is really hard on the eye and points to someone trying really hard to emphasise something. To my mind you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I don't really follow your point that my humour is a slur, whereas Fire Brigade "sick" humour is a way of getting through the day.

On your other points, I am sure many of us going about our chores sometime "just don't fancy" doing something or other. I would ask how often that thought does, or will, wash with employers?

In a previous job I worked with some of the most radioactive and poisonous substances known to mankind. May not have been seen as being as dangerous as some jobs but I noticed that some of my colleagues never took their turn with the arsenic and osmium tetroxide as often as I did myself.

I think it's time we closed out on this one. If you do reply, please give the red ink a miss. Never mind London's Burning, my eyes are burning!!

bigpete
03-Sep-06, 20:10
Ok Scorrie

We'll leave it at that