PDA

View Full Version : Boots Leaving Wick?

tides of pentland firth
04-Oct-04, 19:09
Can anyone confirm the rumours I've heard that Boots are leaving Wick? This would be another economic blow to Wick and, more importantly, where would I buy my mum's christmas present? By the time we have seven take aways (however good K2's curries are) and four charity shops in our town centre really is a sign that the place is going down the crapper. Is there any hope for wur fair toon? :~(

KitKat
04-Oct-04, 20:17
Like any store it can only stay open if it is viable so I guess its up to us to keep it open by actually shopping there. If you have all deserted Boots in favour of Semi-Chem then you reap what you sow.

themoth
04-Oct-04, 22:46
What I understand is that Boots is looking to 'down size' but remain in Wick

Doolally
04-Oct-04, 23:11
Well said KitKat.

Geo
04-Oct-04, 23:15
I heard the same rumour. I was also told that Semi-Chem are owned by Boots. Don't know if that is true though.

wicker
05-Oct-04, 08:24
I also heard it was shutting but youo know what rumours are like in the town.

Have also heard the tsb is the next bank to be shutting its doors aswell and the council are moving to the drome and did hear of something else but cant mind what

tides of pentland firth
05-Oct-04, 14:40
I heard that the More Store is also closing.

Geo
05-Oct-04, 14:49
Yes that's supposed to be definite unless they can find a buyer.

caithnessgossipquasher
07-Oct-04, 21:12
My my my!

Why would Boots be advertising for staff?

Do many shops close a year after getting such a refit?

Or when getting new tills/computers?

Wakey wakey!

Geo: Semi chem are owned by a branch of the co-op (I forget which one)

Wicker: look at the sign outside the TSB that's been there since last Friday!

ToPF: re: Your More Store; when a parent company goes into liquidation it is inevitable that some outlets are surplus to requirements..... not solely caithness ones! (if YMS is actually reviewing the alleged lack of future of their Wick branch!). What about the Golden Dragon! I reckon Boots will be here for a long time, so don't worry about the prezzies ;o)

[para]

tides of pentland firth
07-Oct-04, 21:19
Latest update fae the rumour mill:

Apparently Johnny Gunn's is closing it's Wick shop. And also DRs (I suspect the latter is rubbish though).

Mr P Cannop
07-Oct-04, 21:33
whos Johnny Gunn ??

lynsey
07-Oct-04, 22:21
he owns the shoe shops in wick an thurso

MadPict
08-Oct-04, 00:26
Will the last person to leave Wick please turn off the street lights and throw the key in the river........

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

Camra
08-Oct-04, 08:08
On a recent trip to Orkney, we heard a story that there had been an explosion at Caithness creels. As i understand it, a local chap working down south had a nasty accident involving a gas pipe and is a relation of one of the guys that work in Caithness Creels. Talk about adding arms and legs to a story/rumour! :mad: