PDA

View Full Version : Brough bay

Maccy
12-Mar-11, 20:44
Does anyone know why someone has put a chain across the entrance to Brough bay.

gollach
12-Mar-11, 20:47
I don't think it would take much detective work to solve this one...

Maccy
12-Mar-11, 20:50
If you know say so, if not dont bother.

gollach
12-Mar-11, 20:59
There's a history of bad blood over that piece of ground, e.g. see this article.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8831

Maccy
12-Mar-11, 21:26
Interesting, that answers that question. Thank you.

Next question is, who thinks they have the right to block the entrance with a chain and padlock.

This is a lovely place to go and relax, and I for one will not be detured by this foolish attempt to score browny points. As part of my work I carry a large bolt cutting tool in my vehicle and wether it is considered wright or wrong I will use this to gain access. I personaly get sick to the stomach with these so called doo guders, who's only purpose in life is to try and prove something to themselves, they are usualy non local bisybodies trying to change a lifetime of history. And before anyone jumps on the racial bandwagon I have lived most of my life with these kind of people. But I have seen the light and come home.

Amy-Winehouse
13-Mar-11, 17:36
Now this surely wouldnt be the same crackpot that tried to deny my bro in law & myself a spot of fishing in the very beautiful Brough Bay ???? He seemed to think it was his bay , his fish & we were non local( Im a Wicker & my bro in law lives in Scarfskerry) and there was no way he was letting us fish there . We just laughed at him & went fishing anyway even though he tried his very best to stop us. Ive also heard of a chap from Thurso who fishes in his Kayak , who has had problems down there at Brough with the same nutjob , He was told his car was going to get damaged & such like, it put him off as you would imagine.

gingernut
13-Mar-11, 18:19
I think that particular crackpot has now passed on, but there are still a few other nutjobs in Brough causing trouble!

Kenn
13-Mar-11, 20:35
Interesting article gollach.
I have always understood there to be a public right of way down to the slipway so am a little miffed that one or other of the factions has decided to try and stop access.
It is such a tranquil place and good for seal and bird watching also some beautiful wild flowers on the braes. Unfortunately neither myself or my husband are as agile as we used to be , the steps down the cliff would be nigh impossible for us now so we use the track to take the car down, turn the engine off and sit quietly without disturbing the wild life.
It's one of our favourite places when we want complete peace and quiet.

bekisman
13-Mar-11, 20:44
Interesting, that answers that question. Thank you.

Next question is, who thinks they have the right to block the entrance with a chain and padlock.

This is a lovely place to go and relax, and I for one will not be detured by this foolish attempt to score browny points. As part of my work I carry a large bolt cutting tool in my vehicle and wether it is considered wright or wrong I will use this to gain access. I personaly get sick to the stomach with these so called doo guders, who's only purpose in life is to try and prove something to themselves, they are usualy non local bisybodies trying to change a lifetime of history. And before anyone jumps on the racial bandwagon I have lived most of my life with these kind of people. But I have seen the light and come home.
If you click on the 'comments' (7) at end of article it gives an email address and phone number, if you want to contact?

gollach
13-Mar-11, 21:23
I've not been to look, but does this chain and padlock have a sign on it saying that it is being watched by CCTV?

tremner
13-Mar-11, 23:50
Does anyone know why someone has put a chain across the entrance to Brough bay.

In the next few weeks there is repair work being done to the slipway that will involve machinery and vehicles.As far as i am aware the chain across the entrance will only be used during the time of the repairs as there will be no room to turn at the bottom of the access road.This is to preserve this beautiful wee harbour, not stop the many regular visitors like myself.

tremner
20-Mar-11, 22:06
This work has now started and seems to be going well.Have been down to the slipway several times since work started,no problem with access.