PDA

View Full Version : View from Canada

canadagirl
12-Mar-11, 13:11
I've just spent 3 weeks based in Thurso on my first visit to Scotland and want to say what an absolutely beautiful area it is! The weather was very co-operative which I'm sure made a huge difference. I saw all of the coast from Wick to Talmine, attended a coffee morning, the drama festival, and went out with the CASST search dogs and spent many hours on the brae above Brims. Everyone was very warm and friendly. My biggest impression was the quiet- even when the wind is blowing hard it's still so quiet. I hope everyone who is lucky enough to live there takes the time to appreciate what an absolutely wonderful place it is. I am missing the bakeries and Mackays fishmonger on the harbour, and the Park Hotel steak pie, and all the friendly people in all the shops. Losing Dounreay will obviously change the character of the area but there do seem to be many small businesses making a go of it, so hopefully it will just adapt without losing character. I will be back in November! :D

sandyr1
12-Mar-11, 18:53
Yes Canadagirl.........Glad you enjoyed the North. As a visitor it is just wonderful, as a resident it is a tough life.
Dounreay did so much for the North, particularly Caithness. Unfortunately when Dounreay goes so will many of the small businesses.
The 'North' needs a Fresh Injection, but what that will be is certainly unknown at this time/ only time will tell.
But that saying that the glass is half full, rather than half empty is so true. I am sure something will occur.