PDA

View Full Version : Driveway planning permission?

stevie b
12-Mar-11, 12:24
im currently looking into buying a property which has no driveway, there is space at the front of the house to do so but i am not sure what the rules and regulations are. i have spoked to a couple of folk and had conflicting stories so was wondering if anyone on here could shed some light on it.

if it helps the properties are in the pennyland area and would be coming from the front garden so would be going over a path onto the road.

gleeber
12-Mar-11, 12:39
It wouldn't normally be a problem unless it was on a bend or similar hazard. You would need to get a contractor licensed with the council to drop the kerbs at the roadside to allow access.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 14:57
I always think its a right shame when gardens and the like get paved over for turning into car parking spaces (Joni Mitchell had a point!), or even worse, the shoehorning of house plots into town gardens. Theres a right lot of the middle of Kirkwall spoiled now by folk putting up houses in what was bonny gardens before.

stevie b
12-Mar-11, 15:08
It's got to be better than having cars parked all over the road?

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 15:10
Take the parked cars out of the roads, and then folk complain that the traffic whizzes through, and traffic calming measures are needed! No win!

theone
12-Mar-11, 15:28
Speak to the council planning dept, I'm sure they'll put you right. There's been plenty of other houses in pennyland had garages/drives added so I doubt it will be a problem either way.

There is an "open plan" policy in pennyland that means you can't build any walls or fences though.

And yes, as said above the kerbs will have to be lowered professionally.