PDA

View Full Version : Big Society- Work a day for Free

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:30
Wy don't we all do our bit to back Britian? How about all of us offering to work for free for a day-with employers donating what they think our work is worth to Mr O for the deficit? A restuarant in our street in Lodon is doing just that. My sister in law did the cooking for a day- and gave her pay to the Tory party funds. She said she had a really jolly time- all her friends came in and spent money, and her step daughter did the washing up.

Just think of what you can be doing for your country....

Bazeye
11-Mar-11, 23:36
Wy don't we all do our bit to back Britian? How about all of us offering to work for free for a day-with employers donating what they think our work is worth to Mr O for the deficit? A restuarant in our street in Lodon is doing just that. My sister in law did the cooking for a day- and gave her pay to the Tory party funds. She said she had a really jolly time- all her friends came in and spent money, and her step daughter did the washing up.

Are you for real?

lasher
11-Mar-11, 23:41
Are you for real?
Exactly what i was thinking, i'd rather burn the days pay than give it to the tory's they get enough off me as it is!!

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:50
But isn't this what the Big Socety is all about? Just think if every teacher, nurse, doctor and public servant did this, we'd soon get rid of the deficit. Sister in law is married to a tory MP by the way

Bazeye
11-Mar-11, 23:55
But isn't this what the Big Socety is all about?

No, its a con to get us doing things for free which we have already paid for via our taxes.

starfish
12-Mar-11, 00:01
just get the bankers to give they bonuses to the troys pr should i sat w====ers

flowertot
12-Mar-11, 00:08
I wouldnt p8ss on Mr O if he was on fire let alone give him any more of my hard earned than he already steals!!!!!

shazzap
12-Mar-11, 00:16
When i read this, i thought i was hallucinating, and had to read it again.
My answer to this is......................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGn6_EH2gM

bagpuss
12-Mar-11, 00:18
Right- now I've got your attention, consider this one

Had the chancellor raised income tax for the highest earners, he would have been unpopular with the bankers- but he'd ahve been seen to really support the big society. He criticised the Labour proposal to raise NI contributions as a tax on jobs- but then went ahead to raise VAT- first to 20% with plans to raise it to 30%.

Now think- only the rich would have been hit by extra income tax- but everyone pays that VAT.

Remember that in the 1970's ted heath was full of similar ideas- but then there was trouble in the Middle East and rising prices cause petrol (and living costs) to treble, and upset his plans. (but he did cut the price of sweeties)

But Davy and Georgie's plans are in effect making those teachers and nurses and doctors work a day a week for free.......

And I too get very dismayed by the amount of praise those gentlemen get on this site- for making you all work that extra day for free- just think how much your living costs are rising- and will go on rising over the next 4.70 years

Bazeye
12-Mar-11, 01:59

Had the chancellor raised income tax for the highest earners, he would have been unpopular with the bankers- but he'd ahve been seen to really support the big society. He criticised the Labour proposal to raise NI contributions as a tax on jobs- but then went ahead to raise VAT- first to 20% with plans to raise it to 30%.

Now think- only the rich would have been hit by extra income tax- but everyone pays that VAT.

Remember that in the 1970's ted heath was full of similar ideas- but then there was trouble in the Middle East and rising prices cause petrol (and living costs) to treble, and upset his plans. (but he did cut the price of sweeties)

But Davy and Georgie's plans are in effect making those teachers and nurses and doctors work a day a week for free.......

And I too get very dismayed by the amount of praise those gentlemen get on this site- for making you all work that extra day for free- just think how much your living costs are rising- and will go on rising over the next 4.70 years

I dont care. Im still not going to give a days pay up.

sandyr1
12-Mar-11, 02:11
In the Province of Ontario, in the early 90's., Gov't Eployees had to take unpaid days off. I think it was 3 weeks unpaid days off., for several years. It was that or other's got laid off.......
The saying...Think what you can do for your Country, not what it can do 4u!

theone
12-Mar-11, 02:19

Good post bagpuss, and it raises a lot of questions.

The problem with raising tax for the highest earners is that it is the bankers etc that make the biggest single contribution to our economy now. The lack of manufacturing and heavy industry etc has meant the banks, and London, are more important than ever. Annoy enough bankers and the business will go elsewhere. I believe there was a rumour that HSBC was thinking of relocating to Hong Kong to limit taxation.

You've mentioned the 30% VAT before I think. I thought it was only mentioned in a brainstorming type situation? I don't remember it being mooted as a possible future policy.

Regardless of that, yes, VAT would affect everybody. But we're all in this together. We've become used to having money spent on us at a level we can't sustain. Government debt is costing the taxpayer £120 million a day in interest alone. We've got to spend less or take in more, or probably a mixture of both. We've become used to having money spent on us at a level we can't sustain.

A 10% increase in VAT would, I imagine, raise a lot more money than an income tax increase on those earning £150k+. If that's what we need to do to get out of this debt, then so be it. I'd rather we all have to "take the hit" to learn a lesson. That said, I would also like to measures introduced to protect the poorest.

What I'd like to see in the longer term, and I haven't heard it suggested yet, is a law brought in to prevent governments getting us into debt in all but the most extreme circumstances. To win the election, the government has to be popular, not necessarily good. That obviously means the parties may be willing to promise the earth to win the popular vote.

That's a big part of what got us in this mess, lets stop it happening again.

theone
12-Mar-11, 02:24
I forgot to mention.............

Back to the main point of public sector workers doing more days for free - no, I don't agree.

It punishes them, and only them, for the governments mistakes.

I think we should all pay in one way or another, probably best through taxation, and not income tax. It shouldn't just be the workers and taxpayers that have to suffer, it should be everybody entitled to a vote and benefitting from government spending.

Kenn
12-Mar-11, 02:30
What makes me so angry is that the warnings were there for all to see, there have been regulations in place for many years regarding the banks but the government at the time buried it's head in the sand, leaving us as taxpayers to pick up the bill.
Saddy as the old saying goes, "As you sow, so shall you reap."
It is a time for all of us to reflect and see what each of us can do to aid the situation although it is quite obvious that many still think the status quo should remain whether or not the nation can afford it.

theone
12-Mar-11, 02:39
It is a time for all of us to reflect and see what each of us can do to aid the situation although it is quite obvious that many still think the status quo should remain whether or not the nation can afford it.

That's the problem we have.

The current government are becoming unpopular for raising taxes and cutting spending. Things we NEED to do.

If people (and governments) lived within their means there would have been no credit crunch and we would not be in this position in the first place.

But no doubt a more popular government, one making promises it can't afford, will be voted in at the next election. And the cycle continues. A failure of our democracy, or at least our version of it.

Aaldtimer
12-Mar-11, 04:36
"The Raggle Trousered Philanthropists" comes to mind...:~(

annemarie482
12-Mar-11, 09:16
Wheni read this, i thought i was halucinating, and had to read it again.
My answer to this is......................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGn6_EH2gM

LOL disgustingly gross but hillarious!!!!

ducati
12-Mar-11, 10:16
I like the idea of us all being given bank shares. Worth little now but likely to be x10 or more in a couple of years. Then sell them, give George his original stake back and bobs your uncle, we are all profitable bankers:cool:

Gronnuck
12-Mar-11, 10:33

In the great scheme of things someone somewhere once worked out that the average UK worker spent the first five months of the year working for the grubbiment already before they could consider their salary their own.
The example you describe appears to be a Tory party fundraising affair and nothing to do with reducing the deficit.
If you really wanted to do your bit to support Britain you would buy only british manufactured goods - oops I apologise there aren't many of them about. OK how about investing your precious savings in the british financial services - ooops I forgot they have a penchant for gambling and losing.
I think I'll take up knitting so I can make myself a pair of socks so I can stuff them with my hard earned and keep it under the mattress.;)

Doreen
12-Mar-11, 11:10
Wheni read this, i thought i was halucinating, and had to read it again.
My god this post is a joke my husband and i besides thousands of people in Britain are being hammered with tax to give up a days pay thats a joke do you know what my answer would be to that.

shazzap
12-Mar-11, 11:18
My god this post is a joke my husband and i besides thousands of people in Britain are being hammered with tax to give up a days pay thats a joke do you know what my answer would be to that.

Why are you quoting me Doreen. Is it my post you mean is the joke. If so i can't see why.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 11:25
I think I'll take up knitting so I can make myself a pair of socks so I can stuff them with my hard earned and keep it under the mattress.;)

I think I'll spend a chunk of the day making home brew so the government can't get their hands on that duty either!

RecQuery
12-Mar-11, 11:40
The big society is a con to get people to provide their own services and screw others out of jobs.

Here's a few more suggestion for the big society:

Why doesn't anyone with 20 million or more in liquid assets donate a quarter to half of it to the government.
Why doesn't anyone with more than one house donate its use to the local housing charity
Why doesn't the government close tax loopholes and get people to pay what they legally should which would bring in far more money than any other scheme thus far.
Why doesn't anyone making 10 times more than their lowest paid employee donate the different to the government.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 11:44
Or we could just "go communist"!

squidge
12-Mar-11, 11:46
How about giving up a day full stop and doing some volunteering, We could have some fun. Bazeye could go volunteer in a muslim womens group in Oldham or London, Drunken Duck could volunteer to help out at a children's home, weezer could go and help out at an old persons day care centre and see how many think they arent paying their way. Sandyr (if he was in the uk) could go help a disabled person have a life without a car - just using public transport..... Me????? I would go and have lunch in downing street with Nick Clegg and see if he can persuade me of his integrity and honesty followed by dinner with Phillip Green to see if he can persuade me he shouldnt pay the taxes he is due to pay.

Well....That little dance into a parallel universe amused me for a while

bagpuss
12-Mar-11, 15:05
Right, lets take a point that keeps coming up- who got us into this in the first place. Look far back to the 1970's, when that first huge hike in petrol happened. All of a sudden living costs shot up, and the unions got restless- and years of hard times later led us to 'the winter of discontent'. That in turn put in the Thatcher government- which favoured the bankers and those who had bright ideas- remember John de Lorean? But t least if you bought clothing from M&S it was made in the UK
Then we had Blair- and the 1990's when most manufacturing went abroad because no-one could compete with those nice cheap imports- everything from TV's to knickers.
Then we spent all that money on Bush's war on terror.

Now the money has run out, and as you quite rightly say, we will do anything to keep on the right side of the bankers- in case they go away a take their money with them.

I have a Tory MP as a brother in law and a cousin who works for Deloitte. They spend more on wine than I earn in my part time job in a year. They complain about short holidays- but think nothing of having gas guzzling Ferraris and Caribbean Cruises for Christmas.

Yes I get angry- especially when my husband's sister does that 'raise money for the big society'- but I get worried that so many people are being so complacent about changes that once made won't be reversed

My brother in law talks glibly about how the workhouse would solve the problem of all those idle single parents. he talks about using Caithness as a dumping ground for all those 'spongers claiming housing benefit in London', and euthanasia for pensioners- that's dinner party conversation in our house one night a week.

and just think- that's running the country

secrets in symmetry
12-Mar-11, 15:08
My brother in law talks glibly about how the workhouse would solve the problem of all those idle single parents. he talks about using Caithness as a dumping ground for all those 'spongers claiming housing benefit in London', and euthanasia for pensioners- that's dinner party conversation in our house one night a week.
He would fit in well on this forum - apart from the bit about using Caithness as a dumping ground.

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 15:13
He would fit in well on this forum

Maybe he was Chordie? :confused:

theone
12-Mar-11, 15:36
My brother in law talks glibly about how the workhouse would solve the problem of all those idle single parents.

I imagine such a suggestion might be quite popular with more people than you might think.

squidge
12-Mar-11, 15:53
I despair.... How on earth do we get rid of a government before they call a general election.

weezer 316
12-Mar-11, 16:04

The problem with raising tax for the highest earners is that it is the bankers etc that make the biggest single contribution to our economy now. The lack of manufacturing and heavy industry etc has meant the banks, and London, are more important than ever. Annoy enough bankers and the business will go elsewhere. I believe there was a rumour that HSBC was thinking of relocating to Hong Kong to limit taxation.

You've mentioned the 30% VAT before I think. I thought it was only mentioned in a brainstorming type situation? I don't remember it being mooted as a possible future policy.

Regardless of that, yes, VAT would affect everybody. But we're all in this together. We've become used to having money spent on us at a level we can't sustain. Government debt is costing the taxpayer £120 million a day in interest alone. We've got to spend less or take in more, or probably a mixture of both. We've become used to having money spent on us at a level we can't sustain.

A 10% increase in VAT would, I imagine, raise a lot more money than an income tax increase on those earning £150k+. If that's what we need to do to get out of this debt, then so be it. I'd rather we all have to "take the hit" to learn a lesson. That said, I would also like to measures introduced to protect the poorest.

What I'd like to see in the longer term, and I haven't heard it suggested yet, is a law brought in to prevent governments getting us into debt in all but the most extreme circumstances. To win the election, the government has to be popular, not necessarily good. That obviously means the parties may be willing to promise the earth to win the popular vote.

Very well said! We, as a country, dont pay enough if we want to have the services we have at the moment. We always cry "tax the rich" dspite the fact its them that pays for the service we, the common man, use every day.

Id back a rise in VAT and income tax. Infact, id also back a rise in national insurance as well. Otherwise the system will collapse and the rich will still have their health care and what have seeing as they can actually afford it, whilst I wont have that seeing as I wont be able to afford it.

sandyr1
12-Mar-11, 16:22
I despair.... How on earth do we get rid of a government before they call a general election.

S...I agree with that you say, BUT kicking one bunch out to get another bunch of the same, is not the solution. That costs more money/ much more. Do you know the costs of changing a Gov't.
Somewhere sometime, the system must change. Everyone,...... yes all must take a hit.
The UK is not the only Country. Fortunately we did it 20 years and it works/ there is life after a down turn!

A great example is Ford, GM and Chrysler. Ford sorted out their mess 5/10 years ago. Sharp cuts, downsiziing.... they are profitable today.
The other TWO......We shall see, but I doubt if they are going to make the cut.

ducati
12-Mar-11, 19:07

Ask Col. G

Commore
12-Mar-11, 20:18
But isn't this what the Big Socety is all about? Just think if every teacher, nurse, doctor and public servant did this, we'd soon get rid of the deficit. Sister in law is married to a tory MP by the way

that figures.

Corrie 3
12-Mar-11, 21:23
Id back a rise in income tax. Infact, id also back a rise in national insurance as well.
Your wish will be granted next month Weezer.......enjoy!!!!!

C3.....:roll::eek:

shazzap
12-Mar-11, 23:51
Thank you for the PM with an apology Doreen. I thought it was funny how you had quoted my post as upsetting you.

Dadie
12-Mar-11, 23:54
If I got paid for what I do in a day as a mum.....no pay, 24h/7d/52 weeks a year without sick leave or holidays then I might think about it!
Oh no benefits other than child benefit either!

sandyr1
13-Mar-11, 01:05
If I got paid for what I do in a day as a mum.....no pay, 24h/7d/52 weeks a year without sick leave or holidays then I might think about it!
Oh no benefits other than child benefit either!

Isn't life all a matter of choice?

buddyrich
13-Mar-11, 02:28
I'd forgo a days pay if the bank executives in the publicly owned banks gave up their bonuses and took pay cuts and if companies like vodafone pay the hair raising amounts of tax they've avoided paying thru loopholes and lax enforcement by this government and the last one.

After all, we're all in this together.

theone
13-Mar-11, 04:25
Your wish will be granted next month Weezer.......enjoy!!!!!

C3.....:roll::eek:

I don't doubt it will.

But I doubt he'll enjoy it!

The cut's have already reached the limits of "acceptability". Any more will target health, education, or the benefits system.

Touch any of these, whether needed or not, is political suicide. With the result of another 4 year government that will spend more than they have. The cycle continues........

oldmarine
13-Mar-11, 05:18

This is a good thought, but by reading the comments you can see why it would never work.

Alice in Blunderland
13-Mar-11, 08:21

I think that from the people you have listed here some already do contribute many more hours into their working month unpaid as it is. :D

nightspirit
13-Mar-11, 10:22
A lot of pain would be saved if the amount of wastage in government was stopped. I work in local gov as one of the low paid plebs and the amount of money that on a local level alone that is wasted is sickening . Just imagin how much less this seficite would be if the wastage alone was stopped !!

RecQuery
13-Mar-11, 12:42
You'd actually be surprised how much the government spends on software licensing and on how much they spend on outsourcing to large companies (Cap Gemini, HP, BT etc). It's things like £800,000 for a single website etc and these relatively cheap and simple projects take forever to complete.

They'd save a lot of money if they used Free and Open Source Software and if they brought IT back in house or outsourced to small and medium companies. They actually made some progress in that area but I suspect the large companies will push back so they can lock them in again.

http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/enterprise-os-how-hard-can-it-be/2011/02/the-government-gets-really-serious-about-open-source/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/09/govt_must_bring_it_skills_inhouse/

Bazeye
13-Mar-11, 21:29
How about giving up a day full stop and doing some volunteering, We could have some fun. Bazeye could go volunteer in a muslim womens group in Oldham or London

As long as I dont have to take off my trainers and the canteen has bacon butties.

Doreen
14-Mar-11, 09:50
Iwould gladly do a days unpaid work if my pay went to all those poor people in Japan think if everyone in Britain did that how much it would help them i cant help feeling how lucky we are and seeing all that poor familys thats left with nothing.

rob murray
14-Mar-11, 10:34

You say that we are all in this together but at the same time suggest taxing the bankers will cause them to up sticks and leave...how can "we" all be in this together then ? However I do agree with you on your bankers point, financial services is a huge earner and potential big tax take, but again common sense should tell you that loads of people are hacked of with stories of bankers bonuses etc whilst being told they have to accept sacrifices, can you blame them for not seeing that we are all in this together ? VAT rises impact upon everyone...fair enough..but hits the less well off disproportionatly, I cannot think of any true measure that is truly spreading the pain around.