PDA

View Full Version : vandalism at the old herring mart

Murchiemannie
30-Aug-06, 20:43
what has become of the youth of today.?
I try to remember the Wick I grew up in, where we were too busy playing hide'n'seek, swimming at the bathing pool and trinkie and doing "kids things"
We never knowingly destroyed peoples property for the fun of it as they tend to today, and we had nowhere near the hi-tech toys that today's youth can turn to.
A couple of baby's milk tins turned upside down with two holes and string to make "stilts" and we would clomp about for ages. and that was only one I mention, skipping ropes, inside rubber rings from one of the garages to help us learn to swim I could go on....
My mother always said "the devil makes work for idle hands" and she was sooooo right.
All that hard work by the volunteers helped by the grant they got and along comes the neds and tear the place up.... I ask you----

percy toboggan
30-Aug-06, 20:50
how very depressing. Why is this island spawning such dysfunctional, destructive youngsters?

Lolabelle
31-Aug-06, 00:31
Maybe it's islands, we have the same kind of carry on here. I can't help but think that it has to have something to do with the rubbish that is on the telly. There are shows about people cutting thier eyelids with paper, and sticking needles through thier privates, wrecking peices of furniture and anything else you can think of. It really is a sad reflection of what our world has come to. "Good is evil and evil is good".[disgust]

Whitewater
31-Aug-06, 09:59
This is a very emotive subject, and has led to many heated debates on this forum. I beleive the majority of kids today are no better or worse than we were. Difference being you cannot in this country discilpline the offenders in any way. They know the law, they know what the can get away with (which is just about anything) so pity help you if you even give a verbal warning to them, you are literally taking your life in your hands.

Discipline comes from good parenting, if a child won't answer you by the time it is 5 yrs old it never will. Too many parents now have not got the time or the energy to bring up their children properly and it is society in general that is suffering.

paris
31-Aug-06, 10:23
I have 4 grown up kids , all brought up the same , all treated the same ,but 1 of them is totally different to the other 3......been in trouble with the police many times , had 2 broken relationships. He has never appreciated other peoples things or mine come to that and worst of all talk`s to me like a nobody. So with regards to " its how you bring them up " sorry but its not. jan x

golach
31-Aug-06, 10:30
This is a very emotive subject, and has led to many heated debates on this forum. I beleive the majority of kids today are no better or worse than we were. Difference being you cannot in this country discilpline the offenders in any way. They know the law, they know what the can get away with (which is just about anything) so pity help you if you even give a verbal warning to them, you are literally taking your life in your hands.

Discipline comes from good parenting, if a child won't answer you by the time it is 5 yrs old it never will. Too many parents now have not got the time or the energy to bring up their children properly and it is society in general that is suffering.
Whitewater I agree this kind of subject has been debated many many times on this forum, and there is no easy answer to mindless vandalism, we live in a world nowadays that is too tolerant. I have said before and I am not ashamed of saying it again, there is not enough discilpine dished out at home these days, too many do gooders sticking their noses into the "Parenting Business" these days. I shudder to think what our offspring are going to be like in the future, we need to start dishing out hard sharp punishment for this sort of vandalism.

Bingobabe
31-Aug-06, 10:46
A majority of these offenders are around the same age mark as me so they are not children!!!!!! They should no better but i did go to school with these morons so i know what sort of people they are. Probarly high on drink and drugs looking for a quick buzz, Its a sad fact of society that people have to put up with there, Stealing,Vandilisam, And whatever else they get up to in there spare time.

As i know they dont work these morons have even more time on there hands. The most work they have done in there life is stand in the dole queue waiting for next giro which they dont deserve. I agree with most people on here there punishments are not hard enough and going to jail to them for a fortnight is a wee hoilday for them. ok rant over:roll:

Dusty
31-Aug-06, 12:28
I think that part of the problem is the percieved kudos these neds have with their peers.

A bit of public humiliation for persistant offenders might make some potential offenders think twice, but there again that might infringe their human right to make life miserable for the majority.

Woolie
31-Aug-06, 22:47
Sorry to ask but what exactly has been damaged not the gates that the kids and all those poeple worked so hard to do.

Ann
31-Aug-06, 22:52
No Woolie; it was the actual herring mart building that was broken into and vandalised. Some cash was stolen as well.
Here is a link to the story on the .org

http://www.wickheritage.org/news-story4.asp