PDA

View Full Version : "Told you so"

Phill
11-Mar-11, 02:38
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12707222

Errm, Mr Cameron....y'know those planes what we bought....and then scrapped....cut up into tiny pieces.....and closed the base what they were to operate from......well....its....just....err...looks like we needed them!

Gronnuck
11-Mar-11, 02:47
The words "face," "egg," and "on" springs to mind.
God help our guys and girls in the military if these dipsticks in Westminster decide to take us into North Africa, Iran or any other conflict. We can't continue to punch above our weight in world affairs with the resources they've left us with.

theone
11-Mar-11, 03:48
Great post.

Whilst I don't doubt for a second that we need to cut our spending, Nimrod was never the answer.

Why bother with our subs if they can be tracked the minute they leave dock?

That said, I can understand how a political party trying to win a 4 year equivalent of the X-Factor could see nimrod as a target.

All the calls in the daily tabloids for "boots for troops" saw to that.

ducati
11-Mar-11, 10:02
Nah, the yanks have it covered. The only use trident could be is if they were already at sea and hidden. You can't start a nuclear war by sending something the size of a WW2 aircraft carrier at 30ish notts

Phill
11-Mar-11, 10:57
........ carrier at 30ish nottsYou'll never make a mariner!

I suspect the yanks did have it covered, like the TSR2. And now were buying equally ageing and less capable bucket of 'Rivet's to replace Nimrods.

ducati
11-Mar-11, 11:33
you'll never make a mariner!

.rowlocks!

Phill
11-Mar-11, 11:39
.rowlocks!
:eek::eek::eek:

How very dare you!

theone
11-Mar-11, 13:02
Nah, the yanks have it covered. The only use trident could be is if they were already at sea and hidden. You can't start a nuclear war by sending something the size of a WW2 aircraft carrier at 30ish notts

Not just Trident, our hunter killers also.

They've lost a lot of their stealth with the loss of Nimrod.

oldmarine
11-Mar-11, 18:19

The Yanks have already tried to cover too much of the world. It's about time they pulled back from the countries they have occupied since the end of WW2 and concentrate on defending their own shores.

dafi
11-Mar-11, 18:48
I am sure the cut moungers rationalised it by thinking it was cheaper to scrap Nimrod than mothball them, afterall they wont have any Harriers to direct and soon no Tornado.....whats the point in having expensive close air support when they can issue an extra box of hand grenades.

This bunch of cowboy politicians are a minority goverment propped up by turn coat lib dems. They do not have a real mandate from the pepole to be doing this sort of damage to the nation!!! This situation exposes the negligent treatment of the already streched british armed forces. I am not a fan of the political direction that british forces are being used in but things are just rediculious. These resources are the life blood of our defence and are bleeding away rapidly....bleeding out the stab wounds in the MOD's and every british servicemans back.

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 22:33
Do we really need armed forces at all?

Call me Dave has another grand plan- the big society Dad's army- if we all have a baseball bat or a hockey stick we can defend ourselves from all those nasty baddies, and put lots more dosh into paying the dreadful deficit

gleeber
11-Mar-11, 22:49
What gets me most about political threads is the amount of stick politicians have to take. I couldna be doing with it. Thank goodness some of them can.

bekisman
11-Mar-11, 22:51
What gets me most about political threads is the amount of stick politicians have to take. I couldna be doing with it. Thank goodness some of them can.

Yes, it does seem strange - you never see em getting off their bums and having a go themselves

Bazeye
11-Mar-11, 23:42
The Yanks have already tried to cover too much of the world. It's about time they pulled back from the countries they have occupied since the end of WW2 and concentrate on defending their own shores.

Same as we should be doing.

starfish
11-Mar-11, 23:51
if the people that sit in par;iment done a days work like the armed forces on doctors and nurse on the front line for half a day they would quit and sit on the brew as it would be to much like hard work i travel to work can not claim for a second house but as they say its my choice

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:54
Now ust think. Nimrod aircraft were also used to support RAF search and rescue helipcopters. With our wise PM and Chancelor cutting back on those, we mightnow be able to say that you go to sea at your own risk. So the next time you go on a boat, take a life jacket.

ducati
12-Mar-11, 10:00
Do we really need armed forces at all?

Call me Dave has another grand plan- the big society Dad's army- if we all have a baseball bat or a hockey stick we can defend ourselves from all those nasty baddies, and put lots more dosh into paying the dreadful deficit

Great idea (again)

ducati
12-Mar-11, 10:01
if the people that sit in par;iment done a days work like the armed forces on doctors and nurse on the front line for half a day they would quit and sit on the brew as it would be to much like hard work i travel to work can not claim for a second house but as they say its my choice

What do you think they did before they were politicians?