PDA

View Full Version : Census 2011

Eilanboy
10-Mar-11, 17:35
Questionaires for the forthcoming election are now being delivered by post or by hand.This year households are able to complete the form on line by using the unique number on the first page and you are encouraged to use this method as it makes life easier.Please encourage all your friends to do it this way

chordie
10-Mar-11, 17:37
as it makes life easier

For whom ? The householder ?

Eilanboy
10-Mar-11, 17:51
For whom ? The householder ?

Yes if you are able to access the form you should find it easy to complete.

morvenview
10-Mar-11, 19:22
Waste o bloody paper! Send a form and then throw it away and do it online!
What is the first question?......Do you recycle!!!

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 19:30
Waste o a lot of resources! In another thread on here, someone worked it out at around £13 per head of population in Scotland! Even if the form contains a £ worth of paper, thats still £12 of something else being wasteful!

sweetpea
10-Mar-11, 19:38
I thought it came in the post today, turns out it was the council tax bill but with 2 copies of some leaflets padding it out! another waste of paper for the new recycling bin, makes me mad!

ducati
10-Mar-11, 19:46
Waste o bloody paper! Send a form and then throw it away and do it online!
What is the first question?......Do you recycle!!!

Of course, it will be printed in 17 different languages :eek:

Probably including Klingon:lol:

octane
15-Mar-11, 12:01
Fair enough the government can pull everything up about you but I object to filling in a stupid form giving away lots of personal info as well as irrelevant information.

It is of no benefit to anyone in our country because the government just do as they please anyway and we have no say or influence over any decisions they make. Making out there trying to find out how many people are nearing retirement age for example....cmon they must have a threshold alarm that will go off if it gets too many so they can fix it by "increasing retirement age"

Its just another means of looking at what white elephants they can pour millions maybe billions of our tax money into failed ventures as a way of filtering money back into there pockets through contacts/golden handshakes etc etc.

And they have the hard neck to say we can be fined up to £1000 for not filling it in......swivel on it you scammers!!!!! your not getting another penny over and above the illegal and damn right disgusting amount of tax the working man/woman pays as it is.

Anyone up for a burning the Census gathering ?

porshiepoo
15-Mar-11, 12:13
Fair enough the government can pull everything up about you but I object to filling in a stupid form giving away lots of personal info as well as irrelevant information.

It is of no benefit to anyone in our country because the government just do as they please anyway and we have no say or influence over any decisions they make. Making out there trying to find out how many people are nearing retirement age for example....cmon they must have a threshold alarm that will go off if it gets too many so they can fix it by "increasing retirement age"

Its just another means of looking at what white elephants they can pour millions maybe billions of our tax money into failed ventures as a way of filtering money back into there pockets through contacts/golden handshakes etc etc.

And they have the hard neck to say we can be fined up to £1000 for not filling it in......swivel on it you scammers!!!!! your not getting another penny over and above the illegal and damn right disgusting amount of tax the working man/woman pays as it is.

Anyone up for a burning the Census gathering ?

Most definitely! Just let me fill it in online first. lol.

roadbowler
15-Mar-11, 13:32
octane, you have a good point. I am not against the census, in fact very much in favour of it for genealogical research and historical statistic purposes. (Basic Information only!) However, I have a MAJOR problem with an American company, one of the largest defence contractors in the world, Lockheed Martin and CACI Ltd. collecting and processing our data! More info at https://network23.org/countmeout/2011/03/12/scotland%E2%80%99s-census-and-caci/

Metalattakk
15-Mar-11, 13:34
And they have the hard neck to say we can be fined up to £1000 for not filling it in......

Be careful about not filling in the forms. ;)

There were only 38 successful prosecutions (http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/noncompliancees.asp#cases) (in England & Wales) for non-compliance of the 2001 census, with fines issued in the region of £35 to £500 plus costs.

In Scotland, there were only 3 successful prosecutions (http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files1/stats/cenop.pdf). (PDF download, section 2.6.)

onecalledk
15-Mar-11, 14:58
how can they prove you didnt send your form back ?

K

bekisman
15-Mar-11, 15:02
They've sent me TWO, each with a slightly different address - anyone want one?

Bazeye
15-Mar-11, 18:44
how can they prove you didnt send your form back ?

K

They cant, thats why you dont have to fill it in.

Corrie 3
15-Mar-11, 20:19
Just filled mine in online , took all of 12 minutes, easy peasy!!!

C3....;)

orkneycadian
16-Mar-11, 21:41
6 minutes on the paper version! Would have done the online one, but they sent me all that dreef of paper and a post paid return envelope. Easiest way to get shot of it all is to post it all back to them, original envelope included! I have plenty of paper for lighting the fire, otherwise that would have been its fate after doing it online.....

So, has anyone put their religion down as Jedi yet?

brandy
16-Mar-11, 22:13
we have not even got ours yet laughs* wonder if they will fine us for not receiving one?

Venture
25-Mar-11, 09:40
They cant, thats why you dont have to fill it in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369781/Census-police-chase-late-form-fillers-operation-costing-hundreds-millions-pounds.html

nicnic74
25-Mar-11, 10:58
Iv tried to fill mine in online as we have 7 people living in our house, but it wont let me into the site, 3 times i put the access code in & my postcode, it said it didnt match phoned them up & they told me to enter the access code & postcode in lowercase tried that 3 times again still cant get into it, they canna say i havnt tried to fill it in

Tugmistress
25-Mar-11, 11:22
we have not even got ours yet laughs* wonder if they will fine us for not receiving one?

haha same here,not had one yet!

Scunner
25-Mar-11, 11:29
I am still waiting for delivery of the census form

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 18:50
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369781/Census-police-chase-late-form-fillers-operation-costing-hundreds-millions-pounds.html

Just tell them you filled it in and posted it. How are they going to know? Typical DM scaremongering, nothing more, nothing less.

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 18:51
Btw, still havent had mine delivered yet.

gleeber
25-Mar-11, 19:35
Its bad organisation if it's not arrived yet. Its good to keep an eye on the numbers through the census and its no much till ask a citizen to do. Societies need good housekeeping just like any business not than Im saying societies a business but you know what I mean. :confused

bekisman
25-Mar-11, 20:15
Just done mine on line; ten minutes - suppose I'll have to send the other copy they sent (with a slightly different address) back to 'em

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 20:55
They've sent me TWO, each with a slightly different address - anyone want one?

One come through the front door and the other through the back?

bekisman
25-Mar-11, 22:22
One come through the front door and the other through the back?

No - only got a front door.

Rang 'em up on that 0300 number, had loads of alternative numbers, and after a wait of 15 minutes got a human - he said just put the 'spare' one in an envelope and write on 'address no longer exists' and post it back - wonder how many folk will do that with their single one?

neepnipper
25-Mar-11, 22:34
I havn't had one yet either, rang the help line and a recorded message said if you don't have one by the 26th you can request and fill out one online, you have to go to the contact us bit and do it from there.

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 23:55

Rang 'em up on that 0300 number, had loads of alternative numbers, and after a wait of 15 minutes got a human - he said just put the 'spare' one in an envelope and write on 'address no longer exists' and post it back - wonder how many folk will do that with their single one?

No, what I meant was how come you got two if they had similar addresses or are you winding me up or am I winding you up or what? I'm confused now.:confused

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 23:59

Isnt that a bit of a fire hazard only having one entry and exit point. Are the HSE aware of this?

bekisman
26-Mar-11, 09:59
Isnt that a bit of a fire hazard only having one entry and exit point. Are the HSE aware of this?

Me, winding you up? now, would I do that?

The addresses were similar, but one was the address when it was a croft and just a number with a partial location address but for decades it's been a name with the correct location address, as laid down by Royal Mail - no idea where they dragged the old address up from..
No back 'door' but a big pair of sliding French Windows (with no letter box you see)

bekisman
28-Mar-11, 10:31
"the detailed information on the individual census will not be released for 100 years"

Might have been OK, donkey years ago, but seeing that there are more than 12,000 folk in UK who are 100 years and older - 'bout time they changed it?

RecQuery
28-Mar-11, 12:11
"the detailed information on the individual census will not be released for 100 years"

Might have been OK, donkey years ago, but seeing that there are more than 12,000 folk in UK who are 100 years and older - 'bout time they changed it?

It's worse than that: The PIA (http://amberhawk.typepad.com/files/census_pia-final-version.pdf) (Privacy Impact Assessment) for the census states that:

information was to be confidential...Other than for the purposes of conducting the census and in the circumstances set out in Section 39 of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007, it is unlawful for any member or employee of the UK Statistic Authority (which includes any member or employee of ONS) or any person who has received personal information directly or indirectly from the Authority, to disclosure such information" (paragraph 12.6.1).

The ONS comes under the jurisdiction of the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007. This act is a bit New Labour anti privacy legislation. Which essentially says that privacy does not apply when a disclosure:

is required or permitted by any enactment,
is required by a Community obligation,
is necessary for the purpose of enabling or assisting the Board to exercise any of its functions,
has already lawfully been made available to the public,
is made in pursuance of an order of a court,
is made for the purposes of a criminal investigation or criminal proceedings (whether or not in the United Kingdom),
is made, in the interests of national security, to an Intelligence Service,
is made with the consent of the person to whom it relates, or
is made to an approved researcher.

There are other sections which screw with privacy for nation security etc but this is the main one.

I expect some idiot government worker with a crappy IT department to leave it on a laptop, CD or USB device within the next two years or some dodgy outsourced data entry worker to sell the information to companies.

barmar62
28-Mar-11, 19:42
What I want to know is how the information is checked, The census is sent to the householder ( not named) so I could say I shared my house with 20 others etc,.Or get my OH to fill it in and leave me off, who checks, and like someone else said, how do they prove you didn't send it back?

thejudd
28-Mar-11, 19:45
Of course, it will be printed in 17 different languages :eek:

Probably including Klingon:lol:
it was available in 25 different languages lol

ducati
28-Mar-11, 20:17
Yes I clocked that :lol:

ducati
28-Mar-11, 20:19
37 posts of primarily, people complaining about filling in a short form they have do every 10 years.

John Little
28-Mar-11, 20:21
The censuses from 100 years ago are available through a private company for a hefty sub. I think that public information acquired by law should be freely available from the government dept responsible. And having a 100 year rule on it is ridiculous.

Why should my info make a profit for Ancestry.co.uk?