PDA

View Full Version : Councilors pay rise

Garnet
10-Mar-11, 15:56
At the risk of offending (none intended)..on today's news it was announced that Councillors are to get pay rises, this while most other people are getting pay cuts/freezes etc...is this fair especially as we are being asked to fork out more for less and less services.

What are your views on this? :confused

Trajan
10-Mar-11, 16:09
shocking,,imho. they shouldnt be paid at all, apart from expenses, then we would see who really wants to support the local people.

chordie
10-Mar-11, 16:12
...Councillors are to get pay rises...

Before your excitement gets ahead of you and you need to wipe yourself down with a damp copy of The Daily Mail, you should follow the news a little more closely.

The Scottish Local Authorities Remuneration Committee have done a REVIEW and have SUGGESTED that, as part of a number of changes to the way Councillors are remunerated.

Anfield
10-Mar-11, 16:30
shocking,,imho. they shouldnt be paid at all, apart from expenses, then we would see who really wants to support the local people.

If you do not pay elected officials, you would end up with a council of Retired, wealthy and unemployed/unemployable people - bit like the House Of Lords really

chordie
10-Mar-11, 16:51
If you do not pay elected officials, you would end up with a council of Retired, wealthy and unemployed/unemployable people....

That'll make Laurel Bush a dead cert for the by-election then.

RecQuery
10-Mar-11, 17:03
If you do not pay elected officials, you would end up with a council of Retired, wealthy and unemployed/unemployable people - bit like the House Of Lords really
I believe it's a modification of what Plato suggested in The Republic except he had it provisioned so no one wealth could run.

Before your excitement gets ahead of you and you need to wipe yourself down with a damp copy of The Daily Mail, you should follow the news a little more closely.

The Scottish Local Authorities Remuneration Committee have done a REVIEW and have SUGGESTED that, as part of a number of changes to the way Councillors are remunerated.

Ignoring some obvious conflicts of interest with the committee: So you actually think this won't get implemented.

That'll make Laurel Bush a dead cert for the by-election then.

Are we perhaps a tad bitter; do I detect some resentment.

chordie
10-Mar-11, 17:10
So you actually think this won't get implemented.

I haven't a clue - I haven't read the whole document (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/1070/0114523.pdf). But the OP had suddenly turned 'suggestion' to 'fact', as is usually the case the easily-excitable.

Are we perhaps a tad bitter; do I detect some resentment.

Quite the contrary - though highly unlikely, I hope the guy wins as the sitting and previous collection of Councillors haven't exactly demonstrated an ability to represent constituents. They seem to be of the opinion they are there to be the voice of the Council not of the people.

Puzzled
10-Mar-11, 17:20
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12700009

The Council voted for an ARMS LENGTH ORGANIZATION to run most ECS services today - hope it isn't going to cost us dearly!

At the risk of offending (none intended)..on today's news it was announced that Councillors are to get pay rises, this while most other people are getting pay cuts/freezes etc...is this fair especially as we are being asked to fork out more for less and less services.

What are your views on this? :confused

theone
10-Mar-11, 17:39
Let's see what happens.

I would have thought pay rises should go ahead for all, or be frozen for all.

Any other way is only going to cause resentment.

Alice in Blunderland
10-Mar-11, 17:49
Having recently attended a meeting where one of the questions asked was

What changes in pay and conditions have been agreed for Councillors and top officials to help balance the Budget?

The answer from what I recall mentioned an agreed pay freeze for the next couple of years for Councillors.

Puzzled
10-Mar-11, 17:55
Having recently attended a meeting where one of the questions asked was

What changes in pay and conditions have been agreed for Councillors and top officials to help balance the Budget?

The answer from what I recall mentioned an agreed pay freeze for the next couple of years for Councillors.

What they say and what they do..............................!

fingalmacool
11-Mar-11, 14:48
Reading between the lines are they saying that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. I cynically think that the timing of this news will stoke up the unions to once again say look! how long are you numties going to sit around and be shafted, get your marching boots on and bring out the flags, so i guess theres nothing more to do than look for me hobnails and get the sparks flying:confused

JustMe
11-Mar-11, 16:21
Reading between the lines are they saying that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Monkeys can be clever
At least they will do what you want if you give them a banana :)

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 22:38
Shouldn't all elected officials who have private incomes be donating their pay to the deficit?

Alice in Blunderland
12-Mar-11, 09:23
Shouldn't all elected officials who have private incomes be donating their pay to the deficit?

In a word I would say No. Councillors are elected into this job which offers a given salary no matter what their private income or other commitments are.

If they do the job they get the salary.

Now if they dont do the job or they don't do it in a way that the public find acceptable then at the next election should some other willing mug sorry candidate step up then they can be voted in to replace the Councillor who has lost favour. :)