PDA

View Full Version : Harvest story

trinkie
03-Oct-04, 10:55
The favourite Scottish Christmas carol "Child in the Manger" was written by Mary MacDonald in the 18th century as a Harvest Offering because she was very poor and had nothing else to give.
Does anyone know if she wrote both the words and music? The tune is called Bunessan which is near to where Mary MacDonald came from so it is possible.
I'd love to know - it is a most beautiful gaelic tune.
Thanking you.
SD

weeboyagee
03-Oct-04, 15:37
Sorry, Silver Darlings, I don't think you're going to come up with much luck on this one. I'm just back from Mull and asked a good friend of mine if she could help. She has a terrific knowledge of Gaelic Songs and Tunes, especially from that area. There is no evidence to say who the composer of the tune Bunessan is and certainly no link to say that the composer was Mary MacDonald who wrote the song Leanaibh an Aigh (Child of Wonder). There is an interesting posting on it referring to words (both English and Gaelic) with translation, and to Mary MacDonald herself:

http://suburbanbanshee.blogspot.com/2004_01_04_suburbanbanshee_archive.html

Hope you find it interesting.

trinkie
03-Oct-04, 17:15
Thank you very much Weeboyagee - An interesting article , though I still dont know who wrote the music!
Child in the Manger ...................I bet you're singing it now too ?

ps. I have the 'Morning has Broken' words - but they're not easy to sing, I find they dont flow with the tune.

Thank you again,
SD