PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is wrong with Internet speed here

bekisman
10-Mar-11, 00:12
Bit of a boring subject maybe, but my download speed has been thus this evening:
7.30 pm: 5.35mbps
8.00 pm: 1.17
8.30 pm: 0.47
9.00 pm: 0.18
9.30 pm unable to access any website
10.00 pm unable to access any website
10.30 pm: 0.38
11.00 pm: 2.24
11.30 pm: 5.72!
Ok so there may be an increase in usage, but surely not enough to do this? marwill, outskirts of Thurso has the same. Surely someone else is experiencing this? [evil]
Any ideas?

LMS
10-Mar-11, 00:38
Internet was pretty slow on the east side of the county on Monday night.

RecQuery
10-Mar-11, 09:12
I notice various random disconnects also (I get e-mail and SMS notifications) The speed is fine at least out of normal hours for me, I get the performance I used to get before the whole speed thing started months ago.

Congestion and over subscription are the problem which also cause an increase in latency (ping times) combined with BT just not caring. The only way to do anything as I've said is mass persistent complaints and possibly going to the media. I've been complaining since at least November but I'm just one guy. Complain to your ISP who will complain to BT, don't take no for an answer, gather evidence etc.

Just the last few days for me are:

EDIT: Numbers are in bit/s (bits per second) so some conversion is required:

Sunday

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-06/C9597A8CD252FB53D4FDA972D27CA3903DEC9EB6/BBIP16872229.png

Monday

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-07/CDB71D64376B6C2B44DCC084E49D8C87D387700E/BBIP16872229.png

Tuesday (fail is due to a reboot of monitoring equipment)

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-08/ACC530A829E804A61221E8F9AA158F3397E0A342/BBIP16872229.png

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 10:29
I suspect that that BT technician, who you believe Tesco commissioned to come out to you on a Sunday, was not actually from BT but a Tesco saboteur. It might be the case that he has doctored your line to give you really crap broadband speeds. Cue in 2 days time, a flyer through your door saying "Crap broadband speeds? We can help!" ;)

bekisman
10-Mar-11, 12:52
I suspect that that BT technician, who you believe Tesco commissioned to come out to you on a Sunday, was not actually from BT but a Tesco saboteur. It might be the case that he has doctored your line to give you really crap broadband speeds. Cue in 2 days time, a flyer through your door saying "Crap broadband speeds? We can help!" ;)
I've actually thought about that, so when that Engineer came out on that Sunday, I thought is was suspicious - A BT Engineer appearing on a Sunday!!!.. Anyway I chatted to him and actually asked for his name, and whilst Mrs Beks offered him tea, I used my mobile (well they may have doctored the land line) and rang a BT Engineer who we know IS a real one and asked him if HE knew this chap.. after a few minutes conversation it transpired he WAS genuine; phew! so allowed him to continue, but not before putting his tea cup into a sealed plastic bag - just in case

bekisman
10-Mar-11, 13:01
I notice various random disconnects also (I get e-mail and SMS notifications) The speed is fine at least out of normal hours for me, I get the performance I used to get before the whole speed thing started months ago.

Congestion and over subscription are the problem which also cause an increase in latency (ping times) combined with BT just not caring. The only way to do anything as I've said is mass persistent complaints and possibly going to the media. I've been complaining since at least November but I'm just one guy. Complain to your ISP who will complain to BT, don't take no for an answer, gather evidence etc.

Just the last few days for me are:

EDIT: Numbers are in bit/s (bits per second) so some conversion is required:

Sunday

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-06/C9597A8CD252FB53D4FDA972D27CA3903DEC9EB6/BBIP16872229.png

Monday

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-07/CDB71D64376B6C2B44DCC084E49D8C87D387700E/BBIP16872229.png

Tuesday (fail is due to a reboot of monitoring equipment)

http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/graphimg.cgi/2011-03-08/ACC530A829E804A61221E8F9AA158F3397E0A342/BBIP16872229.png

Thanks for the info - true I don't think affected folk complain enough..
Just been onto Virgin.net broadband support for ten minutes and explained that basically for the last three days I've been, in effect, unable to use the internet for a four hour period each evening - and gave him readings from the BT Speed test/Speedtest.net - he tested things and mentioned that there was maintenance going on (WBC Annex?) but nothing that would give me such low speeds in my area.. He says my PC is configured correctly, and sync test shows I'm getting 5.83 right now.. I mentioned Pings of 323 776 and 901 last evening.. he sys he's noted everything down, and I'm to ring them this evening when it goes slow and they can sync again..(I've no idea what he was talking about) but will ring this evening

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 13:59
I think you should just get Tesco to deliver you a brand new internet PC, complete with Tesco broadband and home phone service. Should be the end of your worries!

Anfield
10-Mar-11, 16:36
Bit of a boring subject maybe, but my download speed has been thus this evening:
Ok so there may be an increase in usage, but surely not enough to do this? marwill, outskirts of Thurso has the same. Surely someone else is experiencing this? [evil]
Any ideas?

Have you tried Mogadon, Horlicks or a good book to assist in helping you sleep?
Some people also suggest counting sheep

bekisman
10-Mar-11, 17:32
Have you tried Mogadon, Horlicks or a good book to assist in helping you sleep?
Some people also suggest counting sheep

Oh come come Anfield - you missed my initial few words: "Bit of a boring subject" One can be forgiven for concluding you mistakenly presumed I was referring to well-drilling or some affiliated actions.. But heaven forbid! No this refers to the internet, (I hasten to add that this new-fangled apparatus may be unknown to you, but all will become clear in time.)

I, although very old, arranged for my PC (Personal Computer) to automatically check and record the various speeds that the PC operates on during the night- whilst I enjoy the pleasures of somnolence...

Commore
10-Mar-11, 18:35
Any ideas?

I find it impossible to get on in the mornings, anything between say 9am and 11am, is a living nightmare.
Yet, in the evening my broadband is just that, faster than a speeding bullet, as they say.
I think it is a question of where we live and the possibility that your provider (and mine) has not the ability to provide.

Vistravi
11-Mar-11, 00:40
Oh come come Anfield - you missed my initial few words: "Bit of a boring subject" One can be forgiven for concluding you mistakenly presumed I was referring to well-drilling or some affiliated actions.. But heaven forbid! No this refers to the internet, (I hasten to add that this new-fangled apparatus may be unknown to you, but all will become clear in time.)

I, although very old, have set up my PC (Personal Computer) to automatically check and record the various speeds that the PC operates on during the night- whilst I enjoy the pleasures of somnolence...

You're only as old as you feel ;)

I don't know what speeds i have been getting as i often don't get to give any net issues my full attention until my little monkey is sleeping for the night. We have also had slow speeds at times over the last couple of days.

theone
11-Mar-11, 01:23
I, although very old, have set up my PC (Personal Computer) to automatically check and record the various speeds that the PC operates on during the night- whilst I enjoy the pleasures of somnolence...

How did you do that please?

bekisman
11-Mar-11, 12:41
How did you do that please?

Well it's very technical, maybe a Computer bod on here could explain in layman's terms, but in my instance, a bottle of wine, a large box of chocolates and hours of recorded horse racing for Mrs Beks, who checked every hour, whilst I went to sleep...

theone
11-Mar-11, 13:09
Well it's very technical, maybe a Computer bod on here could explain in layman's terms, but in my instance, a bottle of wine, a large box of chocolates and hours of recorded horse racing for Mrs Beks, who checked every hour, whilst I went to sleep...

Ah, good stuff.

Where can I get one of these "Mrs Beks", or is there perhaps a free downloadable programme I could use in her absence?

RecQuery
11-Mar-11, 14:04
Ah, good stuff.

Where can I get one of these "Mrs Beks", or is there perhaps a free downloadable programme I could use in her absence?

I think he's using legacy NMS and SNMP technology (himself) and making a note of the results using a legacy recording device (pen)

orkneycadian
11-Mar-11, 14:36

I may be wrong, but I believe there are plenty "Mrs substitute" programmes, websites and goods available on the World Wide Web! ;)

DeHaviLand
11-Mar-11, 15:55
Bekisman, you may be suffering from the same affliction I was having over the last 2 weeks, rate limiting! See post here http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?137419-Isp
Now, what you want to do is run a Glasnost test, if you are rate limited this will find it. Go here for test. (http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php) If you are being rate limited, just mention it to your ISP, they will be astonished, as will you when your internet connection suddenly fixes itself.

bekisman
11-Mar-11, 16:23
Ah, good stuff.

These free downloadable programmes are pretty rubbish, so even tried something I got from Stepford, but still no good I'm afraid; a bit mechanical.. so in desperation got Mrs Beks - That's sorghaghtanibeki - an Orger for many years (have a look).
I'm married to her hence bekis 'man'.. If you do a Google you might find she's not to be tangled with; hence the copious offering of chocolates and wine to keep her sweet, and recQuery you may well be right (about the pen) that is, and orkneycadian; behave yourself..

Anyway back to thread, I spoke at length last evening to my ISP and they tell me there is a massive upgrade going on, seems at last we - that is those out in the sticks - are going to have faster speeds.. something to do with WBC Annex??,(any ideas on this recQuery) and all this, out here in the West, will take place over the 13 and 14th March...I wonder, I wait with bated breath..

bekisman
11-Mar-11, 16:32
Bekisman, you may be suffering from the same affliction I was having over the last 2 weeks, rate limiting! See post here http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?137419-Isp
Now, what you want to do is run a Glasnost test, if you are rate limited this will find it. Go here for test. (http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php) If you are being rate limited, just mention it to your ISP, they will be astonished, as will you when your internet connection suddenly fixes itself.
Just tried and comes up with: We are sorry. Our measurment servers are currently overloaded and cannot serve you at the moment. Please try again later (I will).. don't know what's going on right now, but noticed an Openreach van at Strathy Exchange, another at Melvich Exchange, and two at Forss Exchange??

Phill
13-Mar-11, 22:03
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1200102747.png

Is it just me tonight?

(Slower than 97% of GB....now I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but really!)

bekisman
13-Mar-11, 22:10
For the last five hours my ping's been between 73 and 105.. and download between 0.47 and 3.96.. 'maybe' my local exchange is being sorted? noticed my internet connection was cut for approx 10 seconds about an hour ago.. Well my ISP said mine exchange would be sorted 13/14th March..

Phill
13-Mar-11, 22:32
I guess the usual games for BT, set themselves a low standard and fail to achieve it!

Drift:.....
Has anyone had this BT "webaddresshelp" pop up on their browser? A real 'big brother' piece o' crap if ever there was one.
Tried to go to a webpage and BT stopped me telling me it didn't exist, but here are some 'helpful' suggestions...of their sponsored, advertised, crap based on what 'they' want to sell me. Cheeky bleedin' infarction alert beggers!

If anyone else gets it here's how to switch it off:
http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/

I dunno how they get away with it but I shall be following it up. It basically pretends that the page you want doesn't exist and then redirects you to whomever advertises with them.

Rather naughty methinks!

oldmarine
13-Mar-11, 22:48
It appears that you folks are having a lot of Internet problems with BT. Aren't there any other worth while Internets with which you folks can get connected?

Phill
13-Mar-11, 22:54
No!

Is the short answer. Even though there is an open & free market for competition, in these parts everything is owned by BT. They are forced under competition rules to allow other companies to use their infrastructure and resell the service but ultimately the broadband comes from BT via a BT exchange via BT wires.

Virgin, Tiscali, Talk talk or whoever send the bill but the actual service comes from BT. Be that BT wholesale or whatever part of the company it is.

oldmarine
13-Mar-11, 23:01
No!

Is the short answer. Even though there is an open & free market for competition, in these parts everything is owned by BT. They are forced under competition rules to allow other companies to use their infrastructure and resell the service but ultimately the broadband comes from BT via a BT exchange via BT wires.

Virgin, Tiscali, Talk talk or whoever send the bill but the actual service comes from BT. Be that BT wholesale or whatever part of the company it is.

Sounds like Ma Bell and the Bell telephone system which was broken up as a monopoly some years back in the USA.

DeHaviLand
13-Mar-11, 23:02
Not just you Phill, though this is the best latency i've had in weeks :(

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1200179247.png