PDA

View Full Version : Flying nitro heli

bilbobaggins
09-Mar-11, 20:36
Does any one no were I can fly my nitro helicopter in wick can I fly it in the bignal park

chordie
09-Mar-11, 20:44
Does any one no were I can fly my nitro helicopter in wick can I fly it in the bignal park

Common sense should tell you to take it somewhere that you won't bug the crap out of local residents with the racket from it.

bilbobaggins
09-Mar-11, 20:58
I keen at what about a electric trex 450 helicopter

Corrie 3
09-Mar-11, 21:12
Wick airport seems a good place to me, give it a go!!!

C3.....:roll:;)

bilbobaggins
09-Mar-11, 21:16
Haha I wish lol

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 09:28
You can fly the T-Rex in the Bignold. Ive flown electric planes there before.

Chordie is wrong, you dinna fly Nitro in the Bignold cos it will upset the residents. Its cos of the dangers associated with flying these things. They are killing machines, theres no question.
Have you got BMFA insurance? Its only £29 for up to £10 Million liability cover:- http://www.bmfa.org/about/applicationForm.pdf (have to ask this im afraid!)
There is a recognised flying site at Sarclet (Thrumster), where you can fly nitro aircraft.

I havent flown a lot of helis myself, but I can fly them if you need info on setups etc..

chordie
10-Mar-11, 09:36
You can fly the T-Rex in the Bignold.......They are killing machines, theres no question.

What makes it wise to fly a 'killing machine' in the Bignold Park ?

A 30 acre field with no livestock, people or property nearby sounds more appropriate.

Or a licence to use it, in a restricted area, sounds best of all.

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 10:01
Why did you paste two totally seperate parts of my post together?????

Do you even know what your talking about????

I didnt think so.

Use Google next time before you spout. A T-Rex is a small electric RC helicopter, thats designed to fly in parks. Thats why they call them "parkflyers"
The CAA regulates all RC flying, and they class them as such.

chordie
10-Mar-11, 11:28
Why did you paste two totally seperate parts of my post together?????

Do you even know what your talking about????

I didnt think so.

Use Google next time before you spout. A T-Rex is a small electric RC helicopter, thats designed to fly in parks. Thats why they call them "parkflyers"
The CAA regulates all RC flying, and they class them as such.

Electric, nitro, or nuclear powered - makes no odds. It seems pretty irresponsible to be mucking about with something like this in a public park where it's highly likely to come down on top of someone, a child or an animal.

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 11:57
Point your trolling questions towards the Civil Aviation Authority then.

chordie
10-Mar-11, 13:27
I don't know any other toy for which it is advisable to have £10M of public liability insurance in place before you play with it.

The most sensible advice to the boy here is to take it to the field at Sarclet, full stop.

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 13:43
Here we have reached an agreeable conclusion Chordie. Fly these IC (Nitro) models at the designated flying field only, and be sure to have insurance cover.

(But toys they are not!)

I only use my IC planes at Sarclet, because they are very large, can weigh in excess of 8Kg, and travel in excess of 100mph. The damage that would cause if it hit something is huge. They have been known to write-off cars etc..
Getting lessons from an instructor is also a must for the larger IC aircraft. Caithness has a club that fly at Dounreay Airstrip on Sundays (weather permitting) This would be the safest and most successful entry point to the hobby.

My smaller electric planes (parkflyers) however, only weigh 100 grams or so, and travel at maybe 4mph. These can acceptably be flown anywhere within the confines of common sense and safety, ie:- away from people and animals in nice wide open spaces.

Safety is the prime consideration with this hobby.

bilbobaggins
10-Mar-11, 13:54
Must go there one day what days can you fly

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 15:29
Flying at Sarclet is anytime, but you have to respect the farmers animals and property. Use an empty field well away (a few fields away) from any livestock, and always close gates. I fly over the heather covered mossy area at the base of the hill at the end of the road. It gives a soft landing if theres a problem, but it wont be any use for heli's I'm afraid.

Dounreay flying is only on silent hours (out of normal working hours) You have to be a member of the Caithness Model Aero Club to fly there. I can put you in contact with the club if you wish. This is the best and recommended route.

Insurance is also mandatory for flying at both the Dounreay and Sarclet flying sites.

Hope this helps

Anfield
10-Mar-11, 16:33
Who wants a bet that in a couple of weeks time there will be a thread about UFOs flying around Caithness

Even Chance
10-Mar-11, 16:46
Ats a good idea Anfield!!!! Twa flashin LED's and wur away......................

I tried RC flying at night with wee lights once. It took me a very long time to find the pieces of aircraft after it er........... landed!