PDA

View Full Version : what happen to the new shops

starfish
09-Mar-11, 19:33
has anyone idea what happened to the new shops by tesco wick or was the land bought by tesco just to stop a rival supermarket buying it

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 19:52
Was there no truth in the rumour that Tesco were going to let out affordable shop units to local retailers, as part of their "Local Sustainability" policy?

chordie
09-Mar-11, 19:57
has anyone idea what happened to the new shops by tesco wick or was the land bought by tesco just to stop a rival supermarket buying it

Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to phone Tesco in Wick and ask them first.......01955 673407 ?

starfish
09-Mar-11, 20:08
Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to phone Tesco in Wick and ask them first.......01955 673407 ?

would you get the truth as tesco wants to take over everywhere and stop the opposition like asda in thurso

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 20:11
Never? They wouldn't would they? I thought they were all lovely and cuddly and pro the local community?

Thumper
09-Mar-11, 20:30

Why on earth would customer services in the Wick shop know what the head office were or were not planning to do with the land? x

chordie
09-Mar-11, 20:46
would you get the truth as tesco wants to take over everywhere and stop the opposition like asda in thurso

Oh well, that's this thread finished as you clearly managed to answer your own question before you started.

bridgeend
09-Mar-11, 23:19
Ground still owned by H&I Airports and is for sale by SCAPA PROPERTIES 01381 621 421

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 22:57
I happen to know the Scapa Properties people- they bought that land and planned a retail park to accomodate Homebase, Argos, etc, but a rival firm beat them to it and put up the units on the south road.

Tom looked at the option of putting up units anyway to accomodate Next, Primark and a few others- but shortly before building was authorised, he paid a visit to Wick and on seeing the state of Bridge Street revised his opinion. and of course the recession happened.......

gleeber
11-Mar-11, 23:14
Tom who? :confused

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:19
Tom McGeehan who owns Scapa properties- they're based in the Black Isle- he used to work with my OH

gleeber
11-Mar-11, 23:27
Surely it wasn't Bridge Street that put them off. There must have been other factors?

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:33
Nope- he told my OH that if any of the big companies saw a town centre dominated by charity shops, bookies and takeaways that they'd immediately jump to the conclusion that it was a poverty area- and they wouldn't invest. Seems the last time he'd been in the town was when Morrison's construction had built the Co-op......

Phill
11-Mar-11, 23:34
I happen to know the Scapa Properties people- they bought that land and planned a retail park to accomodate Homebase, Argos, etc, but a rival firm beat them to it and put up the units on the south road.

Tom looked at the option of putting up units anyway to accomodate Next, Primark and a few others- but shortly before building was authorised, he paid a visit to Wick and on seeing the state of Bridge Street revised his opinion. and of course the recession happened.......

I thought it hadn't been sold off before the retail park opened.

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:35
they hadn't done all their homework.....

Dog-eared
11-Mar-11, 23:56
Surely it wasn't Bridge Street that put them off. There must have been other factors?

I was talking to a woman in Fraserburgh a good few years ago , during the decline of the fishing industry there.
I remarked that there was good pickings in the charity shops there. She said " That's the sign . I've seen it before. First the charity shops, then the takeaways. We're finished. "
There's no room for small shops once the biggies get in.

bekisman
12-Mar-11, 00:07
Nope- he told my OH that if any of the big companies saw a town centre dominated by charity shops, bookies and takeaways that they'd immediately jump to the conclusion that it was a poverty area- and they wouldn't invest. Seems the last time he'd been in the town was when Morrison's construction had built the Co-op......

Didn't Argos, homebase, Carpetright, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Pets at home, New look, Superdrug notice the charity shops, bookies and takeaways?

bagpuss
12-Mar-11, 00:08
The real clue is in the bookies- lots of the great unwashed hanging around smoking outside them wasting their money on scartchcards. Not exactly upmarket young thrusting executives in suits or yummy mummies in Boden frocks. Takeawy wrappers in the main street don't help either

starfish
12-Mar-11, 00:21
most of the bookies custom are the chinese and dole mongers

bagpuss
12-Mar-11, 00:36
Didn't Argos, homebase, Carpetright, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Pets at home, New look, Superdrug notice the charity shops, bookies and takeaways?

Argos and Homebase would have bought blind- as they'd been courting builders to let them into new turf- which they do automaticlly under an expansion programme. The last time I was north I took a look around. it was mid day on a Thursday. I was the only customer in Superdrug. A couple were buying a carpet sample for a pound in Carpetright. EWM were chuffed because I bought a box of toffee- their only sale that morning. and each shop had only one member of staff. How long will that sort of thing last?

Spongeboab
12-Mar-11, 00:49
it was mid day on a Thursday. I was the only customer in Superdrug. A couple were buying a carpet sample for a pound in Carpetright. EWM were chuffed because I bought a box of toffee- their only sale that morning. and each shop had only one member of staff. How long will that sort of thing last?

that's maybe because most people were at work and the unemployed folk were in the bookies

going there on a Thursday morning is hardly representative of their normal trade

greener
12-Mar-11, 04:21
The real clue is in the bookies- lots of the great unwashed hanging around smoking outside them wasting their money on scartchcards. Not exactly upmarket young thrusting executives in suits or yummy mummies in Boden frocks. Takeawy wrappers in the main street don't help either

Name Suits u !! How dare down the town !!!!

Walter Ego
12-Mar-11, 09:14
Yes, how dare you make an accurate assessment.

Phill
12-Mar-11, 10:28

We banned smoking in public places so yer gonna get people smoking outside all manner of buildings, groups of smokers hanging around outside buildings is no real gauge of apparent affluence. 'yummy mummies' ??? Is that a PC term for MILF?

bekisman
12-Mar-11, 14:03
Been thinking (dangerous) but as it seems - in my opinion, erroneously - that Tesco in Wick forced the closure of loads of shops (Including the place in the harbour that sold fishing gear/net floats etc).

Why is Homebase not blamed for affecting those other furniture shops in Wick? or the hardware stores, or any other shop that sells 'stuff' Homebase sells? Or Argos; taking away the business of the small shops trying to sell electrical goods (for example) who cannot compete with such a large buyer.. Carpets; what about the loss of business there?, Woollen Mill, Pets at Home etc.. seems a bit hypocritical to me...

orkneycadian
12-Mar-11, 14:33
]Why is Homebase not blamed for affecting those other furniture shops in Wick?

They are, and if not, they should be!

bagpuss
12-Mar-11, 14:46
Are JJM Shearer still there? Last time I was up, they were talking about closing down- another hit for Homebase. I know that The Linen Cupboard (who took over Fairways) closed because they couldn't make a profit, and that Mackenzies closed down their furniture and gift shops.

I feel very sorry for the nice shops in the town: Geddes'; Gunn's, Gail's Gifts etc- because they are trying to make a living in a difficult time and place. Is Serendipity still open in Thurso?