PDA

View Full Version : National No Smoking Day today

golach
09-Mar-11, 12:21
Is anyone bothered? Is anyone going to try? I am a reformed smoker now, been over 11 years since I gave up the weed and kicked the habit. oh I feel so righteous [lol]

http://www.nosmokingday.org.uk/

meerkat
09-Mar-11, 12:49
I celebrate the existence of "no smoking day" in exactly the same way I will come to celebrate "no drinking day, "no dancing day", "no red meat day", "no sex day" - and the inevitable (how close are we to Doublethink?) "no free thinking day"

Corrie 3
09-Mar-11, 13:13
I am waiting for someone to start a "Yes" day, Yes smoking day, yes dancing day, yes drinking day, yes to sex day etc, etc......In fact I might just go and start it on Facebook right now!!!
I am getting right fed up of the Nanny State and the "Do-Gooders" of this once proud and Great Country!!!

C3........:(:roll:;)

Gronnuck
09-Mar-11, 13:36
It's not a day I can get excited about tho' I suppose it's an opportunity to highlight the message that smoking is bad for you. TBH smokers can please themselves if they want to spend a vast amount of money making themselves ill; that’s their choice. My only objection is when they do it near me with the attendant smells and their smoke.
I have to say many of the most vehement members of the anti-smoking lobby are reformed smokers. That could be because they realised the truth in the saying of the late sixties, "Kiss a non-smoker and taste the difference!"

theone
09-Mar-11, 14:28
I have to say many of the most vehement members of the anti-smoking lobby are reformed smokers.

I'd go along with that.

Commore
09-Mar-11, 15:41
I'd go along with that.

And many of those reformed smokers are the most miserable and bitter people I know,

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 15:46
And many of those reformed smokers are the most miserable and bitter people I know,

Come on Golach, put Commore straight!

golach
09-Mar-11, 16:38
Come on Golach, put Commore straight!

Sorry Bekisman, I know I am the happiest wee soul on the Org, could not give toss what smokers think of reformed smokers. [lol]

The Music Monster
09-Mar-11, 16:44
Congrats, Golach, on quitting!!

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, nor would I, it doesn't go with my line of work!!! I know that doesn't give me the right to tell anyone else they shouldn't smoke, but I will shamelessly congratulate people who have managed to kick the habit.

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 16:58
Coincidently, just had a break, and happened to watch some programme on BBC1 called "smoke house" about kids trying to get their mothers/fathers to stop smoking..
Just surprised, as one of the Dads; 'Keith' is an 80 a day smoker, seems he's spent over £295,000 in his lifetime about £5,475 a year.. Where the hell does he find £105 a week? they live in rented accommodation, he wants to buy his own house, and seems Keith's kids can't have holidays - I wonder why?
Each to their own I suppose.

Dreamweaver
09-Mar-11, 18:46
I recently had to stay at Raigmore during treatment for cancer. Every day as I entered/left the hospital I had to walk through groups of people huddled in the entrance ways and smoking - some of them wearing nightwear and attached to dripstands.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm all for a free country and the right to behave as you wish (within reason) but I felt really bloody offended to have to walk through these people to get in/out of the hospital which is, incidentally, supposed to be a smoke-free site!

I was in the bus shelter one day heading for Inverness when a lad lit up a ciggie. An automated voice response thingy came on to remind said offender that it was a smoke-free site and if he wanted advice to give up blah blah blah. You can imagine the kid's response - something along the lines of "go forth and multiply my good man" :lol:

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 20:17
Well, I am pleased to report that I have not smoked today! No different to any other day, but at least I have done whats been expected of me!

Regarding automated voices in bus shelters. Nothing comes close to the one in Leeds in 1996 that students hacked into and replaced the talking timetable with a message suggesting that "the less than athletic children of unmarried parents should go forth and walk" Class!

Corrie 3
09-Mar-11, 21:07
I have took no notice of the countries do-gooders and smoked around 50 which I have done for the past 53 years.

What is it tomorrow?......No posting on Forum's day?

C3.....:roll:;)

SunnyChick
09-Mar-11, 22:55
Didn't realise it was no smoking day today! I used to be a "social smoker" when I was about 18 years old - imagine calling it that - a "social smoker", when it's really a pretty antisocial thing to do, wafting cancerous smoke fumes among your friends! Anyway, I never really found it all that hard to give-up, however, I only did it for about a year, averaging 20 cigs every wknd in the pub, and for a while 3-4 cigs a day. Won't ever go back to it. Am embarassed to admit I ever did it!

I wish anyone who want's to give up the cigs the very best of luck - invest in yourself - I did! ;o)

Foxy
10-Mar-11, 00:58
I gave up smoking one year ago after smoking for 21 years. I wouldn't dream of preaching to anyone as you will only stop if you really want to as i had tried many times and failed, but last year i just decided i was fed up with smoking and stopped and 1 year on i feel better for it. :)

Bazeye
10-Mar-11, 03:34
I am waiting for someone to start a "Yes" day, Yes smoking day, yes dancing day, yes drinking day, yes to sex day etc, etc......In fact I might just go and start it on Facebook right now!!!
C3........:(:roll:;)

Call it the weekend here.