PDA

View Full Version : Reckless Actions...............In accordance with.....................

Commore
08-Mar-11, 16:11
...........the Hill Farming Act 1946

How often the actions of the few have tragic consequences for so many,
I refer to the Muirburning on certain areas of the common grazings,
Now, I am not suggesting that these fires were caused by the crofters themselves, and I am aware that Muirburnings are allowed at certain times in the year, under the direction of the various committees and others, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/04/08154231/2

Like so many others, some of us are busy at this time of the year,
Spring has sprung and has brought with it, LAMBS.

Our ewes are lambing, at present we have three ewes and four lambs or we should have!

In the most recent past, ie; in the last few days, certain parts of the common grazings have been set alight by person or persons unknown (as of yet) and our ewes with lambs in tow have fled, no doubt in terror, traumatized by the burning ground/s,
therefore, if you catch sight of a ewe with lamb at foot looking lost, bewildered or just downright terrified, then she is most likely one of ours and any private messages as to her whereabouts will be treated in confidence.

Setting the land alight on dark nights may be fun for some, but I do wish they thought a little less of their own selfish gratification and a little more about the "live" stock on the HILL.

cherokee
08-Mar-11, 17:42
That's absolutely disgusting Commore.......[evil]

I was born and brought up on a croft, and have many a time heard of "hill-fires" which become totally out of control within seconds.......

If , this should be happening regularly then I, personally, would not hesitate in calling the police, immediately !

I can only imagine the utter fear in your animals when a fire breaks out, especially, as you've said, when they are in lamb !!! [evil]

Keep a "diary" of all happenstances within the boundary of your land over the next 2/3 weeks and supply same to the local police station...

Personally, I'd also have a wee word with my solicitor, as, if you know who might be behind this, then, said solicitor can give them a written warning ?:confused

Good Luck Commore !

Anfield
08-Mar-11, 18:14
The Scottish Government brought out a pocket size guide for people who were concerned with the "controlled burning of heather, grass and other moorland (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/11/20194/46113)"
Before starting a fire, either in-season or out of season, you must remember to:

"..Notify neighbours at least 24 hours beforehand.

Notify the fire brigade before burning and on completion, each day.

Erect warning signs if the fires will be close to areas heavily used by the public.

Assess the weather conditions: are they suitable for burning? The wind speed should not be too strong - normally not above Force 3 (8-12 mph).

Decide where you will burn in the expected weather conditions. If conditions change, re-assess.

You should not burn on your own. Carefully brief sufficient people (normally teams of 3) to carry out the planned burning programme.

At least one person in each team should know the area well.

No more than two fires should be lit at any one time.

Health and safety requirements must be met. Stout boots, fire-retardant overalls and face visors (or goggles) should be worn.

Communications should be available (e.g. mobile phone, radio); it is good practice to have extra people on call to assist if necessary.

A supply of drinking water and a first aid kit should be available; the water is important to reduce the risk of heat stress.

Avoid burning near nesting birds or sensitive habitats.."

A breach of these conditions could affect a persons entitlement to their Single Farm Payment, so I would suggest that you follow Cherokees advice in gaining as much information as possible about the perpetrators and report them.
Alternatively you could discuss the above with them, as the likelihood is that they would be to thick to be able to read the code themselves

Commore
08-Mar-11, 19:21
That's absolutely disgusting Commore.......[evil]

I was born and brought up on a croft, and have many a time heard of "hill-fires" which become totally out of control within seconds.......

If , this should be happening regularly then I, personally, would not hesitate in calling the police, immediately !

I can only imagine the utter fear in your animals when a fire breaks out, especially, as you've said, when they are in lamb !!! [evil]

Keep a "diary" of all happenstances within the boundary of your land over the next 2/3 weeks and supply same to the local police station...

Personally, I'd also have a wee word with my solicitor, as, if you know who might be behind this, then, said solicitor can give them a written warning ?:confused

Good Luck Commore !

Cherokee, thank you for your comment and very good advice, which is appreciated and will be followed.
Thankfully and after much traipsing around, our ewes with lambs in tow have been found,
brought home and generally fussed a little bit more than normal.
All appear to be well, if somewhat shaken.
From now until the end of burning season they will be kept close to home.

donnick
08-Mar-11, 19:28
hi Commore you dont say where about you are as to where people maybe on the lookout for your sheep.?
doh never read last post you have found them glad to hear it .

Commore
08-Mar-11, 19:33
The Scottish Government brought out a pocket size guide for people who were concerned with the "controlled burning of heather, grass and other moorland (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/11/20194/46113)"
Before starting a fire, either in-season or out of season, you must remember to:

"..Notify neighbours at least 24 hours beforehand.

Notify the fire brigade before burning and on completion, each day.

Erect warning signs if the fires will be close to areas heavily used by the public.

Assess the weather conditions: are they suitable for burning? The wind speed should not be too strong - normally not above Force 3 (8-12 mph).

Decide where you will burn in the expected weather conditions. If conditions change, re-assess.

You should not burn on your own. Carefully brief sufficient people (normally teams of 3) to carry out the planned burning programme.

At least one person in each team should know the area well.

No more than two fires should be lit at any one time.

Health and safety requirements must be met. Stout boots, fire-retardant overalls and face visors (or goggles) should be worn.

Communications should be available (e.g. mobile phone, radio); it is good practice to have extra people on call to assist if necessary.

A supply of drinking water and a first aid kit should be available; the water is important to reduce the risk of heat stress.

Avoid burning near nesting birds or sensitive habitats.."

A breach of these conditions could affect a persons entitlement to their Single Farm Payment, so I would suggest that you follow Cherokees advice in gaining as much information as possible about the perpetrators and report them.
Alternatively you could discuss the above with them, as the likelihood is that they would be to thick to be able to read the code themselves

Thank you Anfield, I believe that most if not all crofters / farmers will be familiar with the regulations regarding the common grazings for their own area,
and will be aware that any muirburning is done under the direction of their own committees and that these are always controlled.

I shudder at the thought of so many of last years "burnings" were in fact "uncontrolled" putting many livestock, and wild fauna in very real danger, not to mention the fact that these fires were started deliberately and well outwith the season.
I had heartfelt fear for the older members of our community whereby often their own property appeared to be in direct line of these fires,
and I remember the police and fire brigades by the roadside, unable reach the many affected areas which were on fire.

As we ourselves were given no warning with regard to the recent fires, "one" can only assume that these were started illegally,
on this occasion at least, we got our livestock back and for that we are thankful but what about the next time?