PDA

View Full Version : PANCAKE DAY!!! (shrove tuesday)

annemarie482
08-Mar-11, 10:40
ok folks so its pancake day.

but what kind of pancakes will you be making?

the thin ones you eat with lemon juice and sugar etc?

or thick wee pancakes you top with jam etc

i'll be making the thin ones as thats what we always had as kids, the other ones we always called dropped scones.

so which one's are you making? and how do you like yours?!!

meerkat
08-Mar-11, 10:58
Thin, with a lace-pattern of burnt brown on both sides, kissed with lemon and sugar, and eaten straight from pan to plate until pancakee is totally full up. (Full of vitamins A,B,C,D, and made with love, pancakes constitute a full meal!)

My mouth is watering already......

annemarie482
08-Mar-11, 11:04
couldn't agree more meerkat!!!!

word prefect!! lol

newpark
08-Mar-11, 11:16
When I was younger it was thin ones with lemon and sugar. I have bought the American style thick pancakes for the kids this year though as thats what they like and i'm on a diet.

Hoida
08-Mar-11, 11:59
I will be making the small thick ones and maybe some of the thin ones as I have a bottle of maple syrup someone from Canada brought me.
As a child my mother used to make thick pancakes the size if the frying pan and cover both sides with lots of butter, makes my mouth water just thinking about them. Then again maybe that is why I have high cholestrol today!!!!!!!

Beat Bug
08-Mar-11, 12:12
We'll be having filled savoury ones first. Dry-fried mince, with onions, mushrooms, peas and herbs. When the pancakes are all made, roll them up with the mince mix inside, place in a casserole dish, cover with a cheese sauce, and grated cheese on top. Brown in the oven. Delicious! Then it's the thin ones with sugar and lemon, plus a few with a fruit filling.

lindsaymcc
08-Mar-11, 12:14
Thin ones all the way for me and eldest daughter, younger kids like the thicker ones! So a bit of both in this house, but it wont be today...... we are off out for dinner so will have them tomorrow after school.

As a kid, it was always lasagne made with pancakes instead of lasagne sheets for dinner, followed by thin ones with lemon and sugar for pud!

annemarie482
08-Mar-11, 12:14
sounds good beat bug, never tried savoury ones like a dinner before!

FieryFairy
08-Mar-11, 13:25
American style pancakes here! :) Kids will have them with syrup and chopped fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, dates & bananas), and I'll be doing some savoury ones with bacon & onion, and some with cheese and onion! Yum Yum!

puffin croft
08-Mar-11, 13:31
we always have 2 courses of pancakes on pancake day.this year its pancakes stuffed with a ham and cheese sauce for mains then pancakes with berries and coconut cream for pud,can t wait! the kids got some for brekkie with lemon and sugar too!

kel24
08-Mar-11, 13:46
We're having homemade American style pancakes with sweet cure bacon and natural maple syrup! :) making me hungry just thinking about it! lol

SunnyChick
08-Mar-11, 14:33
We're having homemade American style pancakes with sweet cure bacon and natural maple syrup! :) making me hungry just thinking about it! lol

Now THAT sounds like an awesome pancake! YUM! Pity I'm also slimming, or I'd be making some of those tonight!

I am good at dropped scones, but never have tried proper pancakes before!

Dadie
08-Mar-11, 15:32
Ummm...we are having fairy cakes...ones with choc chips in them and yellow icing with hundreds and thousands!
Iona "helped" with the eggs.....before I could do the pancakes...
Ps If you drop a raw egg (or 6) on the floor cover it with loads of salt and it scrapes up easily!

Beat Bug
08-Mar-11, 16:03
Ps If you drop a raw egg (or 6) on the floor cover it with loads of salt and it scrapes up easily!

Ouch!!..........................

Beat Bug
08-Mar-11, 16:04
sounds good beat bug, never tried savoury ones like a dinner before!

A cheap and simple recipe from my flat-sharing days!

meerkat
08-Mar-11, 16:08
American pancakes are unique: they share the same name as ours, but as part of the Great American Breakfast (especially at THOP - The House Of Pancakes) - they are as brilliant as ours, just different. Two nations conjoined with one great concept - PANCAKES! I would even go so far as to say a person who is fond of pancakes is likely to be fond of life! Only 3 hours to go now.......