PDA

View Full Version : New Tesco's in Thurso

sandra dearness
07-Mar-11, 23:20
Does anyone know when, or indeed if ,the new Tesco's is going to be built. Seems that they are just not in any hurry to build it. Wonder if the councillors will put more pressure on Tesco to get their finger out and start construction or will be another lame excuse again. Too many false promises have been made about a start date for construction. Wonder if the new store in Inverness will be built before the one in Thurso, probably will be and we will still be asking the question, "When is it going to be built " ? [evil]

theone
07-Mar-11, 23:30
They'll hold out for as long as they can. I'm sure of that.

But it will be built.

bekisman
08-Mar-11, 00:48
I've been in contact with Douglas Wilson (Tesco Scottish Corporate Affairs Manager) a number of times and have published the details on the Org on each occasion, I've asked him what the state of affairs was at the present time, he's came back with:

"Hi (Beks,) Thank you for your e-mail. As you have seen we have completed demolition and secured the site following feedback about security issues and access across the site. We are currently working with the Council to discharge conditions linked to the consent, this is a lengthy process as some conditions have to be discharged before we start onsite.
We are finalising the new development programme and hope to be able to announce firm dates for construction soon.
Thanks, Doug.."

So as theone says; hang on in there!

PS if you think I'm waffling there are at least two Orgers who've seen the emails and could confirm...

sandra dearness
08-Mar-11, 21:21
Think they have held out long enough already. Shame we never got Asda

Kevin Milkins
08-Mar-11, 21:25
Why would Tesco be in a hurry to build a new store in Thurso?

sandra dearness
08-Mar-11, 21:25
Well hopefully they will have it built in time for this xmas,

mi16
08-Mar-11, 22:54
why to cripple and no doubt bankrupt a few local shops.
Wick has been ripped apart since the Tesco opened there, Thurso will be no different

John Little
08-Mar-11, 23:15
I've been in contact with Douglas Wilson (Tesco Scottish Corporate Affairs Manager) a number of times and have published the details on the Org on each occasion, I've asked him what the state of affairs was at the present time, he's came back with:

"Hi (Beks,) Thank you for your e-mail. As you have seen we have completed demolition and secured the site following feedback about security issues and access across the site. We are currently working with the Council to discharge conditions linked to the consent, this is a lengthy process as some conditions have to be discharged before we start onsite.
We are finalising the new development programme and hope to be able to announce firm dates for construction soon.
Thanks, Doug.."

So as theone says; hang on in there!

PS if you think I'm waffling there are at least two Orgers who've seen the emails and could confirm...

I hereby affirm, attest and solemnly swear that the party of the first part (Bekisman) and the party of the second part (Tescos) have been in touch via email and that what the party of the first part says about the party of the second part is true.

There is no truth whatsoever that the party of the second part is giving the party of the first part lots of Tesco vouchers for being his ambassador on earth.

But the party of the first part probably wishes that it were so...

Metalattakk
08-Mar-11, 23:42
Way-hey, did someone mention a party?

Is it BYOB??

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 01:08
I hereby affirm, attest and solemnly swear that the party of the first part (Bekisman) and the party of the second part (Tescos) have been in touch via email and that what the party of the first part says about the party of the second part is true.

There is no truth whatsoever that the party of the second part is giving the party of the first part lots of Tesco vouchers for being his ambassador on earth.

But the party of the first part probably wishes that it were so...
Thank you kind sir (few vouchers in the post)
Not been on tonight as for two nights now my internet connection (Virgin) has gone from at 3 pm at 5.83mbps download to at 7pm: 0.51mbps and stayed like that until 11pm where as right now it's 5.86mbps..

OK I know I mentioned Tesco, but I don't deserve this!

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 10:36
Whats that Bekisman? Your not on Tesco broadband? Shame on you!

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 10:39

Whoops, sorry, did that come across as a recommendation? :eek:

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 10:59
No, bit of a sad story really.. I had wanted to get on Tesco net (as it's obviously the vey very best), but I was advised by their tech section that as I was known to be an over the top Tesco buff, I might generate animosity amongst others, and there were people roaming about who hated Tesco and all it stood for, so it was advised it might be better if I used another internet supplier.
Well I did, but looks like I was tracked down and the above happened - I just can't win ;)

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 11:11
Not too late to switch surely? Won't they give you BOGOF on it? That way, if your first internet connection goes down, you can always fall back to the second?

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 11:49
Not too late to switch surely? Won't they give you BOGOF on it? That way, if your first internet connection goes down, you can always fall back to the second?
Well I'd really love to, but reasons above still stand... but I feel (because of my undying support) that Tesco tried to make up for it, by getting BT to really look after me to the extent that they even had an engineer sent out to me on a Sunday(!) and this was only the day after I reported a minor fault..
Been getting a lot of 'international' and 'unavailable' nuisance calls (anti-Tesco bods I expect) that I asked for a new number yesterday at about 11 am - can take a week. But by 8pm - nine hours later - the old number was gone and my new number in operation, now ain't that nice?
As an aside, I DID contact Tesco under an assumed name and asked if they could amalgamate my providers under the 'buy one get one free' auspicious, but they refused.. no doubt even with my new number, THEY knew! - I just don't know which way to turn... Is Judith Glue an ISP or Argo's Bakery I could try?

bish667
09-Mar-11, 16:53
I'm confident they will not build a store there.
Why build a store that would put their other Thurso store out of business? or are they planning on selling that to someone else when they open the new store?

bekisman
09-Mar-11, 17:08
I'm confident they will not build a store there.
Why build a store that would put their other Thurso store out of business? or are they planning on selling that to someone else when they open the new store?

Not another expert who knows all about high commerce!,

Back in 2008 they (Tesco) reckoned it would be re-let (bit silly to have two stores on the go - but it would be naive to expect them to flog it to a competitor) ...:roll:

bish667
09-Mar-11, 19:15
Not another expert who knows all about high commerce!,

Back in 2008 they (Tesco) reckoned it would be re-let (bit silly to have two stores on the go - but it would be naive to expect them to flog it to a competitor) ...:roll:

Not an expert, thought it was a valid question.

Thanks for the answer :)

Vistravi
09-Mar-11, 19:34
In all fairness who really cares?

Tesco have taken an eyes sore, put up a big fence and then pussy footed around it til now. I expect they will continue untill they do something there.

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:02
One concern might be they plan to close the Wick store once the Thurso one is opened

bekisman
11-Mar-11, 23:05
One concern might be they plan to close the Wick store once the Thurso one is opened

Oh no they won't.......

Vistravi
12-Mar-11, 11:29

Why on earth would they do that?

Extra store equals extra money for them.

Kevin Milkins
12-Mar-11, 12:29
Erm,.. I dont think so.:confused Two stores = twice the staffing and running costs to service the same people that go to the one in Wick anyway.

I would even say that the sale of fuel would drop because people would not have to drive so far to fill up.

bekisman
12-Mar-11, 13:52
Erm,.. I dont think so.:confused Two stores = twice the staffing and running costs to service the same people that go to the one in Wick anyway.

I would even say that the sale of fuel would drop because people would not have to drive so far to fill up.

Something to do with Tesco making profits of £3.4 billion (£3,000,400,000,) so don't expect they are bothered by small change..

Tesco Town (Inverness): Two Big stores (you been the Inshes one since their enlargement)? and a small one..

A lot of folk I know 'out west' will not drive 'all the way to Wick' so when the Big Tesco opens, they will go there - it's quite a catchment area out here..
If I'm wrong in saying the Wick Tesco will not close when the Thurso one is in operation, you may call me all manner of nasty names - with the understanding that I can reciprocate?