PDA

View Full Version : Cockerels 'dumped' in Dunnet Forest

Nettie
07-Mar-11, 21:12
Eleven cockerels have been abandoned to fend for themselves in Dunnet Forest. The SSPCA have spent hours trying to catch them.

Someone out there must have noticed that their neighbour's farm/croft/yard is considerably quieter today! I am sure the SSPCA would like to hear from you!

gollach
07-Mar-11, 21:15
Do you mean SSPCA?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7865965.stm

unicorn
07-Mar-11, 21:43
Yes the SSPCA, either way it is disgraceful. How on earth could they possibly survive on their own. The world is full of idiots.

Phill
07-Mar-11, 21:51
The RSPCA have spent hours trying to catch them.Not surprised, they've a long way to come.

chordie
07-Mar-11, 21:52
Eleven cockerels have been abandoned to fend for themselves in Dunnet Forest. The RSPCA have spent hours trying to catch them.

Why all the bother of trying to catch them? One night out there and the lot will have been cleaned up by the foxes. Job done.

unicorn
07-Mar-11, 21:58
yes thats exactly the point, they would have been killed by predators, people have put a lot of effort into catching these animals so they will be safe and hopefully rehomed.
There is no need for the nitpicking and smart comments surely, well done to those who spent their time saving these animals who were so cruelly dumped to be killed either by predator or elements.
I really hope someone knows who they belonged to and informs the SSPCA.

chordie
07-Mar-11, 22:00
yes thats exactly the point, they would have been killed by predators, people have put a lot of effort into catching these animals

WOOOOSHHHH....... over the head it goes.

spurtle
07-Mar-11, 22:05
We have chickens that wander around the woods, they seem to survive fine

unicorn
07-Mar-11, 22:06
No it doesn't I am quite aware of what you are attempting to say.
Why do people have to knock the hard work of others, the way you speak it seems you find this a completely acceptable thing to do.
Abandonment of animals is illegal.
Do you just go around making posts all about you by pulling them apart and adding silly comments.
Someone has posted this to bring it to people's attention in the hopes of finding out who dumped them. Lets not make it about anything other than that.

ducati
07-Mar-11, 23:26
Oh we came across them today, luckily we saw them before the dogs did and got them on the lead. It never struck me that they had been abandoned, they were by the sawmill and someone was working there. I just thought they were being kept by the sawmill peeps.

Scarybiscuits03
07-Mar-11, 23:37
We lost a chicken last year and found it several weeks later - healthy and happy! They are birds after all.......

Scarybiscuits03
07-Mar-11, 23:38
We lost a chicken last year and found it several weeks later - healthy and happy! They are birds after all.......
Not saying that it's right to abandon them though......maybe they escaped!

purplelady
07-Mar-11, 23:59
Why all the bother of trying to catch them? One night out there and the lot will have been cleaned up by the foxes. Job done.

that is sick how cud you say something like that

Dog-eared
08-Mar-11, 00:30
There are also a few hawks out there, and owls.
The natural world, being what it is, red in tooth and claw,will weed out the dafties but no doubt one or two will be savvy enough to survive.
Pity they don't have any hens for company.
The "Feral Chickens of Dunnet Woods " would be quite unique !
Anyone got some spare hens ..........

The foxes won't get them when they roost up in the trees, maybe in the daytime though. Their biggest predator will be birds of prey.

Dog-eared
08-Mar-11, 00:34
PS have you ever tried to catch a chicken ? It's not very easy.

Now, I wonder what's for supper.........

Nettie
08-Mar-11, 01:40
SSPCA managed to catch 10 birds and will return on Tuesday to try to get the last one to a safe home.

Some of the comments above are just beyond belief ~ muppets!

Leanne
08-Mar-11, 01:44
Now, I wonder what's for supper.........

11 birds at £5 a pop at least in tescos - that's a nice money saver :) I'd be off to Dunnett but I have my own that I still haven't had the heart to neck...

I'm sure the cockrels are having the time of their lives - truly free range :) Better a life of freedom than a safe life of constraint.

Dog-eared
08-Mar-11, 01:51
SSPCA have always been held in high regard by me for the work they do.
Now, catching 10 chickens in a forest elevates them to godlike status !
Well done SSPCA !

Dog-eared
08-Mar-11, 02:02
Spare chickens their captivated misery- free them and contribute to the " Dunnet Feral Chicken Stock Bloodline " :)
A free place for all chickens who escape our everyday diet.

Dog-eared
08-Mar-11, 02:05
Why did the chicken cross the road ?

To get to the beach !!:lol:

rob1
08-Mar-11, 10:42
How on earth could they possibly survive on their own.

This had me rolling around the floor with laughter for ages.

Spring Flower
08-Mar-11, 15:16
Oh we came across them today, luckily we saw them before the dogs did and got them on the lead. It never struck me that they had been abandoned, they were by the sawmill and someone was working there. I just thought they were being kept by the sawmill peeps.

Change of subject but thought dogs meant to be on leads anyway in public places. My pet hate about the forest is the amount of dogs' dirt and that is probably down to owners who let their dogs roam freely and can't spot the mess. Also, if you were worried about what they would do to a chicken if they were off the lead, what would they have done to a small child!

Corrie 3
08-Mar-11, 15:42
Change of subject but thought dogs meant to be on leads anyway in public places. My pet hate about the forest is the amount of dogs' dirt and that is probably down to owners who let their dogs roam freely and can't spot the mess. Also, if you were worried about what they would do to a chicken if they were off the lead, what would they have done to a small child!
Oh dear Spring Flower,
I dont think you understand dogs very well do you?
The law on dogs and public places is that the dog must be kept under control, not neccessarily on a lead. My pet hate about the forests is the amount of rubbish left by Humans!!!
You ought to get yourself one, it can be great fun,they are very loyal loving animals.

C3.....:roll:;)

chordie
08-Mar-11, 15:54
My pet hate about the forest is the amount of dogs' dirt

Not only that, but who is going to go in now and pick up all that hens' dirt ?!? :lol:

ducati
08-Mar-11, 17:11

Plucked it

Corrie 3
08-Mar-11, 17:23
Plucked it
ROFL........:lol::lol::lol:

ducati
09-Mar-11, 18:07
In reply to your concerns about the ferociousness of our dogs, I hope the attached photo puts your mind at rest!

And in reply to jinglebells who's post just disappeared, I have no idea how my dogs would react to coming across a whole bunch of Cockerels on their favourate walk. To be on the safe side I put them on the leads. Anyone with half a brain would.

sandyr1
10-Mar-11, 00:09
Very enlightening......oh, and did I say, so very funny!

Kells
10-Mar-11, 00:33
In reply to your concerns about the ferociousness of our dogs, I hope the attached photo puts your mind at rest!

And in reply to jinglebells who's post just disappeared, I have no idea how my dogs would react to coming across a whole bunch of Cockerels on their favourate walk. To be on the safe side I put them on the leads. Anyone with half a brain would.

Is that not one dog and two cats? but what an adorable dog.... the cats are nice but I want your dog. lol