PDA

View Full Version : urban foxes

buggyracer
29-Aug-06, 22:19
ive seen lots of urban foxes in citys but never seen any in caithness has anyone seen any in our towns? or are there just not enough kebabs etc left around our streets like in the bigger citys?

i used to see them almost every weekend when i lived in edinburgh, and quite far in the city as well, not just on the outskirts.

connieb19
29-Aug-06, 22:22
I saw one dead on the road at Milton one night. :( Never any actually in the town though.

engiebenjy
29-Aug-06, 22:32
Yeah, used to see them when I lived in the borders, but not up here. Used to see loads of badgers lying dead at the side of the road as well. Do we just have no evil farmers up here who shoot them and then throw them on the road to make it look like they've been hit by a lorry, or are there none up here?

Ann
29-Aug-06, 22:36
Yeah, used to see them when I lived in the borders, but not up here. Used to see loads of badgers lying dead at the side of the road as well. Do we just have no evil farmers up here who shoot them and then throw them on the road to make it look like they've been hit by a lorry, or are there none up here?

Haven't seen any badgers in Caithness but when I drove to Skye in July I saw quite a few. Luckily didn't kill any of them!

ASmith5517
29-Aug-06, 22:36
I've seen a couple of foxes at the wester end of Riess beech, was a bit worried as the dog went to chase them!! I wouldn't have been if it wasn't the fact that the dog is smaller than a fox, he has a big bark though :lol:

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 22:42
The Gamekeeping lecturer at the College does a pretty good job of controlling foxes in the area.
Maybe too many two legged foxes in the town for the four legged variety:lol:

willa
30-Aug-06, 08:33
There are no badgers in Caithness. Its not the farmers that are evil. Have you ever seen the damage that foxes can do to lambs - taking of their tongues and tails and then just leaving them.

unicorn
30-Aug-06, 09:30
I once saw a badger in Caithness but sadly it was dead on the road on the causeymire (spelling)

topotheuk
30-Aug-06, 09:43
E foxes dinna need to go into towns in Caithness. There are plenty of lambs, chickens, ducks, etc etc in the countryside to keep them fed. There has never been fox huntin up here in years to my knowledge, so the foxes werna ever needing to move into town. Now that huntin's been banned, you might find that in bigger towns and cities that the fox numbers receed cos they can safely go back to killing lambs, chickens, etc in e countryside. I heard one farmer took 46 foxes last year. That's a lot of lambs that could have been killed. I lost all 6 of my hens last year in one afternoon to a fox, three of which were just left lying in my field.

unicorn
30-Aug-06, 09:49
Urban foxes are a real menace, I remember a rabbit breeder in England who had 5 in her garden, she had a flat garage roof and they would get up on it and sit most of the night she had an alsation that didn't even deter them as they were so brave, she lost a lot of rabbits to them as they just go straight through the wire on the hutches but as far as I can remember she wasn't allowed to harm them eventually she had to call in pest services.

Ricco
30-Aug-06, 12:42
I used to see fox tracks whilst up along Thurso river - summer and winter. Cannot recall seeing one in the fur. Not enough trash for them to raid and the farmers keep them down.

Been getting them in the back garden occasionally, up to last month when I plugged the last access point.

Its the blasted herons that I want to get rid of!

buggyracer
30-Aug-06, 15:26
the amount of dog walkers on thurso river youd think that would be the last place a fox would go??

gary.b
30-Aug-06, 21:47
I saw dead otter on the beach this morning.

Buttercup
30-Aug-06, 22:07
There are no badgers in Caithness. Its not the farmers that are evil. Have you ever seen the damage that foxes can do to lambs - taking of their tongues and tails and then just leaving them.

Beg to differ with you here but I know for a fact that there are badgers is Caithness - or at least there was a couple of years ago near Skinnet (between Thurso and Halkirk).

paris
30-Aug-06, 22:56
Lybster 2 yrs ago, we had a pair and 4 cubs up on the hillside. Used to watch then running about quite alot, and yes they ate all my chooks one afternoon while we were out. I was not amused ! ( Doubt if the chooks were either ) LOL jan x

pultneytooner
30-Aug-06, 23:18
I want yur chickens.....:eek: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/voltarol/fox.gif

Whitewater
31-Aug-06, 10:11
Wick is full of foxes, some parts more densley populated than others.

paris
31-Aug-06, 10:26
I want yur chickens.....:eek: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/voltarol/fox.gif

To late the fox got them LOL jan x

MadPict
31-Aug-06, 11:32
One of the reasons 'urban foxes' are more common in the deep south is due to the intensive farming carried out down here. The ripping up of old hedgerows to create 'superplains' has removed a lot of the places that foxes find their natural food. So they start to come into the nearby villages to make their dens and eventually as their young lose their fear of humans they get deeper into the urban areas.

Rubbish bags left out overnight, once the dinner plate of the street moggy, have become the takeaway deli for Reynard.

While Caithness still has its untouched countryside (or relatively untouched) foxes will prefer to stay in the landscape thet are happy with. Concrete it over and stick a wind turbine on every available bit of land and you could start to see foxes in your garden.

buggyracer
31-Aug-06, 12:36
Wick is full of foxes, some parts more densley populated than others.

what in the town??

gary.b
31-Aug-06, 14:02
My Nan had a den under her shed once.

gary.b
31-Aug-06, 14:04
I heard there was a silver fox in wick.

Whitewater
31-Aug-06, 16:54
what in the town??

You made me laugh !!! All the Wick foxes have two legs, there are a couple of silver ones as well.

unicorn
31-Aug-06, 18:00
I heard there was a silver fox in wick.

I have put quite a few to Wick lol

connieb19
31-Aug-06, 18:01
My Nan had a den under her shed once.A bed would have been far more comfy lol:eek:

willowbankbear
31-Aug-06, 18:12
I used to see them all over the county in my last job, 1 night ,I ran 1 down, came round a bend and a car coming other way so it was hard luck mr.fox.
Car wasnt that bad either surprisingly, 2 wee scratches was all

buggyracer
31-Aug-06, 21:33
You made me laugh !!! All the Wick foxes have two legs, there are a couple of silver ones as well.

Doh!! :) lol