PDA

View Full Version : Bus Fare Increases and buses in general

RecQuery
07-Mar-11, 08:48
So turns out there's a 70p increase on my return ticket (Wick to Thurso). It's going from £4.50 to £5.20. That seems rather steep to me considering the other increases, surely all of that can't be an increase in the cost of business.

The buses are still cold and smelly in the winter and too hot and smelly in summer, they still over pack them, they're still late or slow. If they're that hard up perhaps they should considering charging college kids, I had to my my own transport costs when at university.

chordie
07-Mar-11, 14:51
So turns out there's a 70p increase on my return ticket (Wick to Thurso). It's going from £4.50 to £5.20. That seems rather steep to me considering the other increases, surely all of that can't be an increase in the cost of business.

Here's a little arithmetic mental exercise for you. Work out the total costs to run a bus from Wick to Thurso and back. Take into account at least all of the following:
- fuel
- proportion of road tax
- driver wages, NIC & PAYE
- proportion of passenger transport licence cost
- proportion of vehicle insurance and public liability insurance
- proportion of capital cost of bus
- proportion of wear & tear
- proportion of wages, NIC & PAYE of maintenance and support staff
- proportion of marketing support, i.e. publishing printed timetables, website, etc
- etc.

Now divide that total by the average number of passengers who make the journey, on a good day that may be 10, probably less.

If you can make that less than £5.20 per passenger, then I think you should invest in a new calculator....or start a bus company.

orkneycadian
07-Mar-11, 18:25
Still cheaper than car I guess, taking into account single occupancy, fuel, insurance, tyres, servicing, depreciation, etc!

porshiepoo
07-Mar-11, 19:31

The buses are still cold and smelly in the winter and too hot and smelly in summer, they still over pack them, they're still late or slow. If they're that hard up perhaps they should considering charging college kids, I had to my my own transport costs when at university.

Well both my "college kids" have to pay for bus fare to Thurso from Lybster and back.

I gave them a lift to the equestrian centre this morning so they weren't aware of a fare increase. They tried to get on the bus at Halkirk this afternoon and buy a megarider and were refused because they only had the £20.50 on them that it was last week. Apparently it's gone up by a pound so they were left stranded in Halkirk. Luckily I was at home and able to go get them.

ducati
07-Mar-11, 20:13
Here's a little arithmetic mental exercise for you. Work out the total costs to run a bus from Wick to Thurso and back. Take into account at least all of the following:
- fuel
- proportion of road tax
- driver wages, NIC & PAYE
- proportion of passenger transport licence cost
- proportion of vehicle insurance and public liability insurance
- proportion of capital cost of bus
- proportion of wear & tear
- proportion of wages, NIC & PAYE of maintenance and support staff
- proportion of marketing support, i.e. publishing printed timetables, website, etc
- etc.

Now divide that total by the average number of passengers who make the journey, on a good day that may be 10, probably less.

If you can make that less than £5.20 per passenger, then I think you should invest in a new calculator....or start a bus company.

It is subsidised, that is why the bus company runs it. Actually doesn't matter to them whether there are any passengers or not.

Droopy
07-Mar-11, 21:19
It is subsidised, that is why the bus company runs it. Actually doesn't matter to them whether there are any passengers or not.

Yip, more of ours, the tax payers money........;)

RecQuery
07-Mar-11, 22:33
Subsidies are in play, plus every bus I've been on is smelly, dirty (both inside and out) and I'm not talking standard detritus picked up in a week I doubt some of those buses have been washed or cleaned in months so that takes two or three points out of that equation.

I mean I understand your point it just seems a rather excessive increase.

bagpuss
11-Mar-11, 23:47
You are privileged to haveany public transport. And remember you're subsidising all those pensioners on their awaydays- compared to London public transport costs, you've got a bargain fare