PDA

View Full Version : outdoor tomatoes

starry
05-Mar-11, 19:43
Can they be grown up here ?

I really like the idea of those upside down things but don't want to buy one if the tomatoes will just die of the cold.

Has anyone had any success ?

sweetpea
06-Mar-11, 12:21
I had some tomato plants last year in the house but was going on holiday so shoved them outside to take their chances but TBH I didn't get any decent tomatoes and something attacked them.

Beat Bug
06-Mar-11, 13:04
I had some tomato plants last year in the house but was going on holiday so shoved them outside to take their chances but TBH I didn't get any decent tomatoes and something attacked them.

I bought some tomato plants 2 years ago, and planted them outside as per the instructions. Not one survived! Apart from the wind getting at them, 'something' ate them. Last year I had loads from the ones in my greenhouse, so will be growing more again this year.

Scunner
06-Mar-11, 13:55
I doubt if tomato plants will survive outside and maybe greenfly attacked them. I had too many last year and put some of the minibel outside in July, they continued to crop, but the fruits were hard and horrible.

Kenn
06-Mar-11, 16:20
I managed to grow a couple of dwarf tomato plants in large pots outside and even got some fruits, they did seem to get blighted though so cut off the offending foliage and put them into the cold frame to finish off the final crop.
Think this year despite having a sunny south facing garden will put them in the cold frame right from the start.

starry
06-Mar-11, 17:04
Thanks all xx

muffin
07-Mar-11, 15:11
I grew one plant in my sunroom last year and I was still picking tomatoes in December, I even have 2 cuttings I took from it still growing, only an inch tall at the moment, I think you might grow them outside if you have some serious wind protection, worth a try if you raise several from seed and you can do this on your windowsill but do not put outside until all danger of frost has gone.

gardeninginagale
31-Mar-11, 17:46
I always raise my toms from seed, and always have some left over. I have regularly planted a few surplus plants in the veg plot. Over a decade, I have only ever achieved ripening on the first truss, and even then those dastardly climbing slugs get there first. Outdoor toms in Caithness is nothing more than a hobby, waiting for that magic summer . . .

Red
01-Apr-11, 22:26
I have heard about some tomatoes that grow outside in Siberia, if I can get hold of some seeds I was planning on giving them a go, if they grow outside in Siberia surely they'll survive Caithness...?