PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages, Notifications and E-mail Accounts

Niall Fernie
29-Aug-06, 15:20
With the new forum upgrade, we now have the inclusion of the contents of a private message emailed out when you are notified about it. I posted a few days ago about receiving replies to these and thankfully most people seem to have got the hang of it.

So I now have another problem, people who have changed their e-mail account and not updated it in their UserCP. What I get now is the bounced version of the same notification e-mail containing the preview of the private message, unfortunatly none of them have been very interesting mostly relating to items for sale, however they are adding to the already massive amount of mail that I get.

I'd like to ask everyone to log into their UserCP and make sure that they have a valid/working e-mail account in there to prevent me getting their private message notifications and other messages from the forum. As an added incentive, every time I receive one of these messages I'm going to give a 5 point infraction to the user in question which I'll remove again once the problem is recified. If that causes a user to be temporarily suspended, then that (from my email's point of view) will also solve the problem.

I know that there are lots of you with new e-mail accounts and that this is simply an oversight, but I need to take action to cut down my incoming e-mail as its getting a bit silly. I got just over 1000 e-mails yesterday, mostly junk so I hope you can understand my motivations :)

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 15:27
In my case I use a hotmail account for all my emails. I do have an ISP account but I only use when I have to i.e here because you dont accept hotmail and the like. I dont check my ISP account any more as I got sick of all the spam coming through. It is quite possible that my inbox will fill up with spam and start bouncing emails. I would not want to get a ban however temporary because of it. is there any way to disable the function?

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 15:32
Never mind the above post I have switched of the email notification.

Niall Fernie
29-Aug-06, 15:38
Good point, if you go into your UserCp and then click on "Edit Options" you will find in there all the options for e-mail notifications for PMs and thread subscriptions.

I don't think we (the admins) have sent out any e-mails to users via the forum for a very long time if ever (Colin will confirm), so disabling "Receive E-mail from Administrators" should also cause no problems.

E-mail notifications of PMs and thread subscriptions can be very useful especially for people selling items or users posting infrequently but still wanting to keep up to date with a thread.

A 5 point infraction would not on its own cause a suspension but if a user has points from other infractions it may well push them over the points limit. As I've said though, I'd remove it as soon as the e-mail problem was sorted out.

Colin Manson
29-Aug-06, 19:38
I don't think we (the admins) have sent out any e-mails to users via the forum for a very long time if ever (Colin will confirm), so disabling "Receive E-mail from Administrators" should also cause no problems.

Only used it once to try and I wont be using it again. If I need to get in touch I'll do it by Private Message.

Cheers
Colin