PDA

View Full Version : The greenhouse effect on our children

pultneytooner
29-Aug-06, 13:43
I see a lot of discussions starting on war and religions.

This is what the world leaders want: everyone is looking to the side where actual problems occur and evolve.

No one is looking to the other side, where they are filling their pocket. Nature is completely neglected.

A hurricane goes over New Orleans and they succeed in creating a debate on the black/white issue.
Not on the why do we have more than 20 hurricanes in one season and 5 that went into the category 5? (Never seen before)

If we want to save the world for our children we have to react today, trying to stop using oils as main energy source.

Not the big central projects as wind mills and solar panels.
No: we all have to see how we can change our behaviour.

Give religion and racism a rest and think about global warning.

Chobbersjnr
29-Aug-06, 13:59
I see a lot of discussions starting on war and religions.

This is what the wold leaders want: everyone is looking to the side where actual problems occur and evolve.

No one is looking to the other side, where they are filling their pocket. Nature is completely neglected.

A hurricane goes over New Orleans and they succeed in creating a debate on the black/white issue.
Not on the why do we have more than 20 hurricanes in one season and 5 that went into the category 5? (Never seen before)

If we want to save the world for our children we have to react today, trying to stop using oils as main energy source.

Not the big central projects as wind mills and solar panels.
No: we all have to see how we can change our behaviour.

Give religion and racism a rest and think about global warning.

World is dying from terminal rampant consumerism. EEK

Ricco
29-Aug-06, 14:13
World is dying from terminal rampant consumerism. EEK

... and excessive apathy-ridden lack of action.

Rheghead
29-Aug-06, 14:18
and a rampant 'sod you Jack, I'm alright' attitude

Ricco
29-Aug-06, 14:24
and a rampant 'sod you Jack, I'm alright' attitude

Coo, I hope there's no-one called Jack, Rheghead. :lol:

Ann
29-Aug-06, 14:36
Time that the Government made it a priority to educate people about eradicating wasteful practices. Ok, they do so just now but methinks it is only lip service as there has been such a furore about global warming.

The thing is, like crime, dog waste and litter etc., there are those who have a conscience and those who don't and I don't think we can ever the overcome ignorance of those who just don't want to know.

We have all become used to a comfortable life compared to what we had in the fifties; the emergence of electricity, running water, water closets and such like. It is very difficult to go back in time although I acknowledge that a lot of people do observe canny use of our resources.

What needs to be focussed on is the enormous wasteful practices of bodies like the utilities e.g. leaking water etc., and using their money to pay enormous salaries and bonuses instead of making their companies more efficient.

BUT - we can all do our bit by not being hypnotised by the clever marketing of Big Business. They manage to convince us that yes, we really need to spend loads of money on the children, have bigger and better weddings than anyone else, (for goodness sake, the only important factor is that the couple get married) with the fanciest of wrapping paper, hand made cards, presents for all the guests, acres of balloons and ribbons, dresses worn once costing hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds, bigger and thirstier vehicles, holidays abroad are a must, as is all the fancy gadgets that appear every Christmas. How we need bigger and fancier kitchens to hold all these gadgets, a new suite every two or three years because the home magazines tell us to, and all the rest.

Go to any car boot sale or auction sale and see the amount of toys, large and small, being sold because there is no room in the house to keep them and we must get rid of them before the next birthday, Christmas whatever, that heralds the coming of even more unnecessary toys and fancy goods.

Then we complain that our kids don't appreciate what they've got! What do they know, it is happening all around them!

Hopefully, sooner rather than later, we will get a grip and cut down on all the wasteful practices and let the young ones grow up aware of what it takes to produce all the gadgets we think they simply cannot live without.

We can all do our bit; think before we waste and teach our youngsters to value the earth's resources better than we have done.

Whitewater
29-Aug-06, 14:38
You have raised a good point pultneytooner. I think the greenhouse effect is not helping matters, but it is perhaps the early stages of world climate change. This planet 'Earth' that we live on is, in 'Geological' time, a very volatile place. There have been many climate changes, massive volcanic eruptions which we would have difficulty in comprending, polar reversals etc, happening on the planet itself. If we then look at the number of large and small objects which have struck us from outerspace, it is indeed a very dangerous place to be.

I once read that if the history of planet earth, from its birth, were to be condensed into an hour, man would have been in existance for the last 60 seconds. Not very long is it. There is an aweful lot we don't know about, and I think there is lot we don't want to know about. When one of the above happens again it will probably wipe out civilisation as we know it.

Yellowstone park in America sits on top of a massive sea of lava and they think is probably in the crater of one of the "mega" volcanos. Paentologists (spelling) have worked out from geological studies that an eruption in that area is now overdue, they expect one in the next 600 yrs.

So pultenytooner you are right, we should all get over the wars (which are rather petty when we look at the overall picture) and get all the world focused on the future of the planet, but at the end of the day I fear we may not be able to do too much about it.

Lolabelle
29-Aug-06, 14:43
We are consumed with consumerism. I think that governments, all of them, keep us on the financial back foot to keep us from having time or emotional energy to do much more than comment on the state of our world. I agree, we need to choose our life styles more carefully. Choose products that are more environmentaly friendly, though I don't think I will be going to candle lighting any time soon. I have decided to be more aware of what I am doing.
I was asked to write something about where I live and post it on the literature forum. I have done this, but what amazed me was what I said about what was happening to my area. I will have to polish it up and get it on there.

PS Dont mind my spelling, I can't be bothered with the dictionary tonight.

Rheghead
29-Aug-06, 14:49
Since global warming is now a question of morality, I think we all have a duty to respond to what the scientists have been telling us all along.

Ann
29-Aug-06, 14:59
Since global warming is now a question of morality, I think we all have a duty to respond to what the scientists have been telling us all along.

We do indeed. As with lots of things in life, it is time we faced up to our responsibilites and have a greater respect for this world we live in.

And we can all make a difference, a great difference!

muddywilli
29-Aug-06, 16:05
Well green house gases hey.. what a politial debate.
I am all up for saving our planet. I recycle tins, glass paper and metal. The only rubbish that reaches my wheelie bin is stuff i cannot recycle. Why oh why can't products be packed in materials we can recycle? Plastic for gods sake, so many goods in plastic... more gallons of oil gone. All those wrappers just land filled. God knows what untold damage we are doing to the earth by removing millions of gallons of oil a day from beneath us.
Everyone wants goods cheaper and because of this we have become a throw away society. Hey look thats only £5, if it only last couple of years it'll be good... good for who i ask. There are only two people who benefit from selling throw away goods, the government who get their tax when you buy it and the director of the company who makes it, oh and he pays tax to so that's a few more pennies for the tax man.
The germans discovered how to make a combustion engine run on citrus juice, guess who bought that idea.. i wonder, yep the government and prompty scrapped the idea. We could all run our motor vehicles ( with little modification) on rape seed oil but what about all that tax lost on oil. Yes indeed we would pay tax on rapesed oil but at least it would be clean on the environment and replenishable. Now doubt there is some polital reason why we cannot use alternative fuels. Our poor little island burns quite a few gallons of oil a day but lets be honest now and realistic. How many big engine cars are in America, how many factories in Middle East and what exactly are they doing for our planet.
The fragile world we live in belongs to everyone, so everyone has to do their equal share to help towards the global warming problem.
The planet will always suffer as long as we have greedy people in this world. The government are the biggest player in the game and they can make a difference but never want to handle the ball. Our earth is getting overrun by the motor car but we don't slow up the production, no because we risk damaging the economy.
Surely it is better to damage the economy now, then the planet forever.

George Brims
29-Aug-06, 17:33
'tooner you make a good point about it being up to us. As the Native American saying goes, we don't own the planet, we have only borrowed it from our grandchildren. However the black-white issue was not "created", it was all over our TV screens for a week. It wasn't just black people who were neglected by the US government - it was their entire responsibility for the people of the Gulf coast - but the poor, who are mostly black, took the brunt of it. That's why George Dubya Bu$h is sitting in a church as I type this, beside some black lady he's never met before, trying to salvage some credibility for his administration before the November elections.

Muddywilli, if you believe that old story about the car running on citrus juice, I have a nice bridge I would like to sell you.

martin macdonald
29-Aug-06, 17:56
:Razz Gods in cotrol. relax:lol:

pultneytooner
29-Aug-06, 18:33
Well green house gases hey.. what a politial debate.
I am all up for saving our planet. I recycle tins, glass paper and metal. The only rubbish that reaches my wheelie bin is stuff i cannot recycle. Why oh why can't products be packed in materials we can recycle?

Britain is currently exporting recyclables to china to be placed in landfill.

Link (http://www.recyclenow.com/facts/myths_exploded/myth_plastic.html)

Everyone wants goods cheaper and because of this we have become a throw away society. Hey look thats only £5, if it only last couple of years it'll be good... good for who i ask. There are only two people who benefit from selling throw away goods, the government who get their tax when you buy it and the director of the company who makes it, oh and he pays tax to so that's a few more pennies for the tax man.

Everything seems to be disposable now, why would a company sell a product that lasts say 12 years when they can sell you one every 4 years.

How many big engine cars are in America, how many factories in Middle East and what exactly are they doing for our planet.
Surely it is better to damage the economy now, then the planet forever.

And the usa wont sign to the kyoto protocol because it may damage their economy, well, sod the future eh.

muddywilli
29-Aug-06, 19:44
George... i'll buy your bridge providing it's made from recycled materials and in years to come it won't harm the planet. I pray now i've agreed to buy that it's not made from cardboard.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 19:57
With the pace of development and innovation products are dated and to an extent less efficient than newer models. This combined with peoples desire to conform to fashions and trends means that everything has a much shorter lifespan.
People want change and new goods in their home.
Even the doom and gloom Orgers have grasped innovation and change merely by the fact that they post here.
My "carbon footprint" will be smaller, I have done more conservation work and recycling than those with the high moral ground who post on here and yet I don't feel the need to moan to all who would listen.
Live life- do what you can for the environment - and let others live theirs - its not all doom and gloom.

Or is it????????

pultneytooner
29-Aug-06, 20:22
I have done more conservation work and recycling than those with the high moral ground who post on here and yet I don't feel the need to moan to all who would listen.
Do you know,100%, that you have done more conservation and recycling than anybody else here?
You feel you don't need to moan about it on here, why post then?
I don't occupy any moral high ground but I thought it was a subject worth posting on.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 21:01
Do you know,100%, that you have done more conservation and recycling than anybody else here?
You feel you don't need to moan about it on here, why post then?
I don't occupy any moral high ground but I thought it was a subject worth posting on.

100%
You bite so easy.
:lol:
You should get out more:Razz

pultneytooner
29-Aug-06, 21:11
100%
You bite so easy.
:lol:
You should get out moreI do get out plenty, they exercise me once a day.[lol]