PDA

View Full Version : Cheese!

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 14:20
(another wee light hearted thread to lighten the mood around here these days!)

i love cheese.

no seriously, i REALLY love cheese!

but whats your favourite kind?
and how do you eat yours?

i'm always trying different or new varietys of hard or soft cheese!

but i'm looking for inspiration from fellow cheese lovers!!

Red
04-Mar-11, 15:08
Try barbequed Tomino cheese (it's an Italian cheese so you'd have to buy it mail order) they are quite small individual cheeses, wrap one in foil and throw it on a bbq or in the oven, absolutely delicious. It tends to be served as an after dinner course in Italy, before little cream cakes!

Camembert makes an acceptable substitute, and dip warm soft bread into it!

I too could eat my own body weight in cheese.

ducati
04-Mar-11, 15:18
mmmm Blue cheese, the smellier the better. Unchain the cheese!!!

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 15:18
ooooh sounds good!! just googled it.

i also love camembert!! lovely :D
it's lovely breaded and deep fried with a redcurrant jelly!
or in a fondue for dipping.

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 15:24
mmmm Blue cheese, the smellier the better. Unchain the cheese!!!

blue cheese is something i am growing to like,
it's taken a while,
and servel disgusting varietys!!
but it's definately an aquired taste.

how do you suggest eating blue cheese do appreciate it the most?!

meerkat
04-Mar-11, 15:52
A blatant case of spread discrimination. (In keeping with the spirit of the Org Ethos). It is inappropriate to declare a fondness for cheese over other comestibles. Growers, preparers and processors of OTHER foodstuffs will see their livelihood ripped from their mouths like widows and orphans whilst you laud this cow-produce above all others. How can you look at yourselves in a mirror and argue the fine points of Emmenburger Schnarchtaler Blau and Frisson de Lactation over Caerphilly and the like whilst Brave Men and Women go for days sometimes without even a bowl of gruel? This is typical of our bloated "I'm alright Jacques" consumerist philosophy which has weakened the bulwarks of this once-great country of ours. Are we forever to rest on our laurels, or hide our lamps under the nearest bushel? Well, then! Let us hear NO more of this "cheese", save to say, actually, that it is quite fine, especially on fresh bread with a bit of Branston or a shallot or two, and......escuse me in mid rant, I've come over all peckish!

puffin croft
04-Mar-11, 15:57
for hubby blue cheese is best on a digestive biscuit,for me i have it on a poppy seed cracker.the smelliest cheese we used to sell in our yorkshire deli was Stinking Bishops,anyone tried it? Cambozola is great favourite of mine,a german blue brie,the best of both worlds!

Trajan
04-Mar-11, 16:05
Danish blue wee a nice scottish oatcake,, cant beat it.

Red
04-Mar-11, 16:11
I agree with Mr Puffin Croft - stilton on a digestive biscuit is wonderful, having said that put it with a glass of port too and I'm floating on air!

Digestives also work well with a mild cheese like a mild cheddar or double gloucester and strawberry of blackcurrant jam (don't make that face - think of what cheesecake is!)

Lancashire cheese is another favourite but you tend to wear it rather than eat it!

Also if you are going to the expense (or rather in terms of waist - expanse!) of having cheese for goodness sake use proper butter and not some second rate spread!

poppett
04-Mar-11, 16:17
Filo pastry parcels with chopped mango and camembert warmed inside............divine.

Used to love jars of Cheeze Whizz spread on Abernethy biscuits sandwiched together.

OH loves cheddar cheese (Isle of Bute or Orkney equal favourites) with strawberry jam in a crusty bread sandwich.

golach
04-Mar-11, 16:18
A nice Stilton, and a glass of good port, as a treat, otherwise I like most other cheeses, Caithness Smokehouse smoked Orkney cheese is another treat ,I just do not buy French cheese tho'

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 16:39
interesting! alot of blue cheese fans here.

i also love wensleydale with cranberries, lovely on museili ryvita.

brie, in a sandwich with a nice piece of ham or on a hovis buscuit just devine!

and whats that garlic one something roulade? oh thats lovely!

Beat Bug
04-Mar-11, 17:08
My favourite at the moment is White Stilton with apricots and ginger! Just cut off a chunk and eat it!. My Dad used to take cheddar cheese and marmalade sandwiches to work for his elevenses. Sort of sweet and sour. And the marmalade keeps the cheese moist. I still have it from time to time. OH loves any blue cheese (I can't stand the stuff!) especially on fruit cake.

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 17:11
ok folks

what is the best cheese for cheese on toast, for taste and texture.

(some cheeses just dont melt right!)

ducati
04-Mar-11, 17:43
blue cheese is something i am growing to like,
it's taken a while,
and servel disgusting varietys!!
but it's definately an aquired taste.

how do you suggest eating blue cheese do appreciate it the most?!

Just as it comes with an apple or some grapes :D

Beat Bug
04-Mar-11, 18:06
ok folks

what is the best cheese for cheese on toast, for taste and texture.

(some cheeses just dont melt right!)

Cheddar is ideal. Either grated or sliced. Raclette cheese should also be good, as it holds it's shape, but I haven't yet tried it. But any cheese should be full fat, as the low fat ones don't work properly.

Ricco
04-Mar-11, 18:45
I lov e any cheese. When i t comes to a 'blue' cheese my fav is Blacksticks - nice and creamy. A good strong cheddar, especially with warm apple pie - god, I'd go miles for that! If it is Camembert or Brie I have been known to go through a whole wedge in one sitting. My apologies to Golach - Stilton is way down on my list; personally, I think it very over-rated but maybe I just haven't had a good'un.

The Music Monster
04-Mar-11, 18:48
I am an absolute Cheese Fiend!!! I love the stuff! Although I don't like blue cheese in sandwiches, I think it makes the best cheese on toast!

Corrie 3
04-Mar-11, 18:54
I scrape mine from between my toes and spread it straight onto oatcakes........

C3....:roll:;)

poppett
04-Mar-11, 19:23
Red leicester toasted is my favourite.

debimac
04-Mar-11, 22:16

That is so funny! :lol:

Kenn
04-Mar-11, 22:32
I'm off to raid the fridge!
Stilton with apricots,mature cheddar, brie, St Augur or Wenslydale?
Think I'll settle for a wedge of each.

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 22:37
don't ya just love cheese!!

whats opinions on spreads?

philidelphia, dairylea, laughing cow etc?

i personally love them too

although i dont like "plastic cheese" as i call it.
(those awful value cheese slice things lol )

achingale
05-Mar-11, 17:01
I like most cheeses, apart from blue cheeses. But I still find it weird that there is such a thing in the US as spray on cheese - yuk! Thank goodness it has not arrived on our shores.

cherokee
05-Mar-11, 17:13
Yep, love cheese, :lol:

Has anyone tried broccoli and stilton soup....gorgeous !!

Brie, Wensleydale, Stilton.....mmmmmmmm :cool:

John Little
05-Mar-11, 19:14
I too believe in cheeses.

annemarie482
05-Mar-11, 19:30
I like most cheeses, apart from blue cheeses. But I still find it weird that there is such a thing in the US as spray on cheese - yuk! Thank goodness it has not arrived on our shores.

spray on cheese?!
sounds gross! yuck!!

maybe thats for the kinky cheese lovers! lol ;)

annemarie482
05-Mar-11, 19:31
Yep, love cheese, :lol:

Has anyone tried broccoli and stilton soup....gorgeous !!

Brie, Wensleydale, Stilton.....mmmmmmmm :cool:

i love broccoli and stilton soup although not usually keen on stilton!
it's a fab combo.....

northener
06-Mar-11, 12:47
Best cheese for toasties? Weapons grade vintage cheddar...or, if you're really hard, try melted stilton on toast. Absolutely stunning.

Ah like cheese, me.

Runny bries and camemberts, wensleydale, good cheddar, gloucester, stinking bishop...bring 'em on I say.

_Ju_
06-Mar-11, 13:19
I was very lucky to have a friend that lived in Serra da estrela and every year while I was at Uni, he would invite a bunch of us to his house on the three kings day after new year (7th January or there abouts) for a dinner of sour dough artesenal bread and Serra da estrela cheese.Back then it was the most expensive (legal) cheese of europe. I don't know if it still is, but it is amazing!
http://www.portuguesefood.co.uk/serra-da-estrela-cheese-p-6.html
In Portugal a hole is cut in the top to scoop the cheese out. When only the rind is left, you chop up vegetables to fill the rind, put the lid bak on and put it in the oven and bake it. Nothing is wasted!

squidge
06-Mar-11, 15:05
I have never found a cheese I don't like. I love blue cheese, roqueforts saltiness, Danish blues sharpness and the smoothness of a mature Stilton. I also like the softer blue cheeses... Bleu de breeze, saint agur and cambazola, blacksticks is also a favourite. At Christmas I like to buy Scottish cheeses and yummy yummy yummy yummy. When we visit my mum in France I am in heaven. I love goats cheese too.

For me it's oat cakes or water biscuits for eating cheese on. However I like just cheese, a bit of salad and more cheese just eaten with my fingers.

It has to have been left out of the fridge for a while too, so it's at room temperature.

Cheese on toast is best with a real strong farmhouse cheddar which Makes your mouth do that thing when you eat it. You know what I mean, I cant describe it.... It's sort of a nnggrrrmmmmm feeling.

Having said all that I have no cheese just now because I'm on a diet and whilst I can resist chocolate, sweeties and puddings I cannot resist cheese mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

John Little
06-Mar-11, 17:42
I agree with Squidge's recipe - but I would not forget the vital ingredient for cheese on toast, which is a good dash of Worcester Sauce on the cheese before toasting...

squidge
06-Mar-11, 18:09
Oh John fancy forgetting that! Of course mmmmm Worcester sauce

cherokee
06-Mar-11, 20:06
I love goats cheese too.

Oh no !!! Please not goats cheese !!! :eek::eek:

I've smelt a goat (well it's coat, TBH, LOL !) and that is exactly what goats cheese tastes like...... Ack, Ack, Ack !!!! [disgust]

pig whisperer
06-Mar-11, 22:32
slap philly on a pringle another pringle on top, yummy, & whatever happened to Anchor Black Label chedder, that was a good cheese

John Little
07-Mar-11, 18:29
The Mistress of the known universe is out tonight so I am making my own dinner.

I believe that I shall grill some bacon.

Then I shall place it in some pitta bread into which I shall put sliced onion, grated cheese, diced tomato and more grated cheese. A dash of Lee and Perrins in top and heat under the grill.

Eat with red wine.

She doesn't know what she'll be missing....

Bazeye
08-Mar-11, 02:48

Im glad you said "from between my toes".:eek:

Buxton Blue by the way.

Bazeye
08-Mar-11, 02:50
Quite like Edam as well. Cant be doing with that Brie nonsense though.

annemarie482
08-Mar-11, 08:37
o bazeye!

brie is beautiful!

annemarie482
09-Mar-11, 23:57
enjoying a lovely plate of crackers and cheese right now! :o)

edam, wensleydale and cranberries, brie, and garlic roule.

yum yum

theone
10-Mar-11, 01:39
I'm a huge "cheeso"

Get yourself a "Raclette" Grill. It's a French concept, a bit like Fondue in that it's "cook your own" party food.

Everybody gets a little dish, you throw in some cheese, then add whatever you want, ham, tomato, onion etc. Basically anything you'd put on a pizza.

You stick it under the grill for a couple of minutes, then enjoy.

Superb.

annemarie482
29-Nov-11, 19:05
finally found a cheese i dont llike,

double glousteshire with onions and chives

tastes like a sweaty sock smells :(:(

good job i made biscuits with brie, wesleydale and boursin as well!

pig whisperer
29-Nov-11, 20:11
Illchester mexican cheese, on toast yummy

Kenn
29-Nov-11, 23:25
Cheese, cheese, glorious cheese for every recipe it's a great wheeze,
Am sure my legs are filled with ut up to the knees,
I love all the colours and all of the taste,
Just don't like what it does to the waist!
Life would be duller without all it smells and it's colours.

Mrs Sweetie
30-Nov-11, 23:03
Ooo, my faves are roquefort with rich fruit cake, warm goats cheese salad, wensleydale and grape sandwich, baked camembert or Philly melted with pesto stirred in and stuffed into a baked chicken breast.

I have never tried any of the Caithness Cheeses but thanks to Puffin Croft farm shop I shall be trying a few over Christmas. Can't wait!