PDA

View Full Version : LibDems beaten into 6th place behind the BNP !!!

Corrie 3
04-Mar-11, 12:55
Is this the start of the demise for the LibDems for getting into bed with the Tories?
I dont think anyone expected them to end up in 6th place in the Barnsley bye-election and getting beaten by UKIP, BNP and an Independant!
I think a lot of people feel let down by the LibDems, they were always the alternative party but since they joined up with the Tories I think it has cost them dearly !!!
What do you think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12644261

C3.....:eek:

The Music Monster
04-Mar-11, 13:27
I'm not at all surprised, and I think it is fairly amusing!! They should never have teamed up with the Tories if they wanted to be taken seriously.

NickInTheNorth
04-Mar-11, 13:39
given the peculiarities of the seat in question I'm not really surprised, there is quitea racist element in Barnsley, which probably accounts for the BNP, the independant was a miner and campaigned on government sleaze, and as for UKIP and there anti-european rhetoric they are always going to do well in bye-elections.

The lib dems are not going to do well for several years yet, so no huge surprise in the result.

Gronnuck
04-Mar-11, 13:45
A lot of political pundits will say this is not unusual for any party in power to lose a by-election but we can see in Barnsley Central they were truely thrashed. Labour's Dan Jarvis got 14,724 votes against LibDem's Domonic Carman with 1.012 votes. Even the Conservative candidate could only muster 1,999! More astute people than I will be able to figure out how much of this was a true reflection of Labour's popularity or how much of a poke in the eye for the LibDems. My own feeling is that it was a bit of both, 50/50.

Trajan
04-Mar-11, 14:04
Ahh me first post, im suprised, shocked that even the BNP beat them , lordy thurso must be quaking in his boots , Cait is a very safe seat for the lib dems, or was, roll on the elections, lol

pinotnoir
04-Mar-11, 14:25
First up will be the Scottish Parliament election in May when the Lib Dem prospective parliamentary candidate is a former Conservative PPC, hopefully the electorate will make his mind up for him.

Trajan
04-Mar-11, 14:33
I like lordy thurso, he seems a very decent man, for e silver spoon brigade, but danny alexander, the torys new hatchet man, lets hope he gets chased out pronto.

northener
04-Mar-11, 17:54
NickintheNorth has it.

Barnsley has always been hardcore Labour left. The Labour supporters drifted over to the LibDems as they were of the opinion that New Labour were Tory wannabees.

LibDem then get into bed with the Torys....and there's no way any self respecting Barnsley Labour constituent will have anything to do with the Tories.

Result? LibDem get slaughtered and Labour stroll back in on a backlash vote. (echoes the the Whos' "Won't get fooled again" in my head)

So I wouldn't start the 'demise of the Tories celebrations' just yet.

As for the BNP? Yes, they picked up backlash votes, plus the rather nastier elements of Barnsleys WASPs.

BTW, keep your eyes on Dan Jarvis. I reckon he's being groomed for greater things in the Labour Party.

rob murray
04-Mar-11, 18:02
Just wanted 4 in a row lo lol