PDA

View Full Version : Caithness FM Radio

Fran
04-Mar-11, 00:06
Has anyone taped Caithness FM radio tonight,Thursday?. I'm praying someone has as I was working and couldn't get a signal on my cassette recorder.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 00:30
Has anyone taped Caithness FM radio tonight,Thursday?. I'm praying someone has as I was working and couldn't get a signal on my cassette recorder.

Im surprised anyone listens to that joke of a station?

davem
04-Mar-11, 01:56

Fine - you carry on not listening then and the people who volunteer there will struggle on without your approval somehow.

Walter Ego
04-Mar-11, 08:49

I do when I'm up here.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 08:59
I think we have been here before on this board.

Yes I acknowledge that it is volunteers that run the whole show and that is good.
The thing is that a more professional local radio station (MFR) has to give up its airwaves to CFM of an evening and I doubt if anyone could question the gulf in quality of the broadcast between the two.
Yes CFM is volunteer run and I am afraid that it shows bigtime.
An example of a decent local radio station is Superstation Orkney, again a gulf in class between them and CFM.

Volunteering is one thing but you should be capable of doing a decent job.

Walter Ego
04-Mar-11, 09:45
I think we have been here before on this board.

Yes I acknowledge that it is volunteers that run the whole show and that is good.
The thing is that a more professional local radio station (MFR) has to give up its airwaves to CFM of an evening and I doubt if anyone could question the gulf in quality of the broadcast between the two.
Yes CFM is volunteer run and I am afraid that it shows bigtime.
An example of a decent local radio station is Superstation Orkney, again a gulf in class between them and CFM.

Volunteering is one thing but you should be capable of doing a decent job.

Superstation is not a 'local' station as such. IIRC none of the DJ's are based in Orkney. Neither is it staffed by 'volunteers'. No comparison.

MFR didn't have to 'give up' airspace - it was negotiated amicably IIRC.

If you don't want to listen - then don't.

Yes, some of the stuff doesn't 'flow'. So what?

Or perhaps you think you could do better?

mi16
04-Mar-11, 10:20
Superstation is not a 'local' station as such. IIRC none of the DJ's are based in Orkney. Neither is it staffed by 'volunteers'. No comparison.

CFM would be a whole lot better if they took the Superstation Orkney approach, listening to the double D show, frankly folk or the Johnstones is painful.

MFR didn't have to 'give up' airspace - it was negotiated amicably IIRC.

It was part of the deal to allocate 102.5 FM to them IIRC

If you don't want to listen - then don't.

I dont, I find it rather annoying though that a decent station like MFR is broadcast over by the CFM drivel from 19:00 every evening though.
At least Radio 2, Superstation or Radio Scotland is decent of an evening though.

Yes, some of the stuff doesn't 'flow'. So what?

It is quite frankly a poor excuse for a radio broadcast.

Or perhaps you think you could do better?
No definately could not do any better, probably no worse though, however I do not proclaim to be a DJ (part time or otherwise)

chordie
04-Mar-11, 10:25
a more professional local radio station (MFR)

Are we playing Spot The Oxymoron ?

mi16
04-Mar-11, 10:46
Are we playing Spot The Oxymoron ?

I had to look that one up there. lol

Metalattakk
04-Mar-11, 11:28
I don't think there's any 'oxy' about it.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 11:39
I don't think there's any 'oxy' about it.

I am sure MFR would not take kindly to beign classed as morons

Dadie
04-Mar-11, 12:06
I listen to MFR in the car and dont mind when it swaps over to CFM in an evening, but, what I hate is when travelling up the road from Inverness and it flits between CFM, MFR and KCR that is seriously annoying.
KCR seems to be worse than CFM in its chats and banter between the songs.

orkneycadian
04-Mar-11, 12:50

Aye, yer having a laff now! [lol] If you dont like CFM in the evening on 102.5, just retune to MFR on 97.4 - Simples!

The opposite effect takes place over here. Superstation is seen as the "joke" station, because it is simply a PC and a transmitter playing out 24/7 automatically. There were "studios" here, but they were always shut, and have now been turned into a charity shop. It seems that all the content is now just streamed in over the wires from England, and the only local thing is the FM transmitter. Even thats not very local, as it can only be picked up in some parts of Orkney - Not Stromness for example.

If your going to listen to a station streamed in from England, then there are a huge number on the internet to pick from that are far better. Until such time as we can get 3G internet car radios here, then MFR on 97.4/1107 and 102.5 do just grand. Some of the CFM programmes are OK. Still miss Paula on the Friday Night Rock Show though.... :( At least CFM broadcast from actual studios with actual local presenters. If you phone them up, you get through to Thurso, not Macclesfield. Bit heavy on the country music though, but then over here, we thought that was just Caithness! [lol]

Metalattakk
04-Mar-11, 13:19

Did you hear that 'whooshing' sound just above your head? http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

The Music Monster
04-Mar-11, 13:25
I hope you've all had a go at guessing Caithness's Mystery Singer that they keep playing on their program...

Kevin Milkins
04-Mar-11, 15:15
Anyway, did anyone record Thursday's episode or not?

Kells
04-Mar-11, 15:45

What makes you think they would even be interested. :lol:

Kells
04-Mar-11, 15:47
:Razz
Did you hear that 'whooshing' sound just above your head? http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

It takes one to know one.[lol]

Torvaig
04-Mar-11, 16:45

Fran, saying as you have not had a single reply saying yea or nay, try contacting Moray Firth Radio themselves for a copy of what you want and maybe giving the reasons why. They are very helpful..... or maybe Caithness FM themselves, worth a try.

retrodj
04-Mar-11, 17:11
There was a topic about CFM a while back. I would gladly volunteer if I had more time. With work and children it would be quite difficult. My wife works in the evenings also. I would love to inject a little freshness on to the airwaves. Ideally i would love play mostly dance and some chart orientated music, mixed in at times, with requests from the listeners based on the music played in that allotted slot time.
What type of music would make more people tune into CFM? That is the question. I have always thought more music that would appeal to the youth of Caithness in addition to the current output would probably make a few more people tune in. Special guest DJs if there were ever any in the area would maybe also work. (as long as the guest DJ's knew it would be difficult to pay them a fee)

orkneycadian
04-Mar-11, 18:23
Why dont you contact them to see whats possible? Not sure if CFM put out pre-recorded shows, but a lot of other stations do. You could see if you could work around your other commitments. No reason why a programme can be set up on a Sunday morning for playout on a Wednesday night (preferably between 8 and 9! ;)) - Means you wouldn't be able to do any live requests or stuff like that....

With a bit of voice tracking, you could have an hours show put together in 5 or 10 minutes!

unicorn
04-Mar-11, 18:36
I assume those that are so negative about the quality of the station have contacted those at CFM to offer their free time and obvious expertise.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 21:57
I assume those that are so negative about the quality of the station have contacted those at CFM to offer their free time and obvious expertise.

Absolutely not, I neither have free time or experience or any DJ ability to boot.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 21:58

Certianly not, I was merely treating your tosspot reply with the contempt it deserved.
But saying you are obviously looking for a reacton then there you go.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 22:03
Aye, yer having a laff now! [lol] If you dont like CFM in the evening on 102.5, just retune to MFR on 97.4 - Simples!

The opposite effect takes place over here. Superstation is seen as the "joke" station, because it is simply a PC and a transmitter playing out 24/7 automatically. There were "studios" here, but they were always shut, and have now been turned into a charity shop. It seems that all the content is now just streamed in over the wires from England, and the only local thing is the FM transmitter. Even thats not very local, as it can only be picked up in some parts of Orkney - Not Stromness for example.

If your going to listen to a station streamed in from England, then there are a huge number on the internet to pick from that are far better. Until such time as we can get 3G internet car radios here, then MFR on 97.4/1107 and 102.5 do just grand. Some of the CFM programmes are OK. Still miss Paula on the Friday Night Rock Show though.... :( At least CFM broadcast from actual studios with actual local presenters. If you phone them up, you get through to Thurso, not Macclesfield. Bit heavy on the country music though, but then over here, we thought that was just Caithness! [lol]

I must say the car never picks up MFR on 97.4 however I will be sure to try and manually tune it in.
As I say, I prefer superstation as the music is better and it seems more slick however if it is streamed from the south then fair enough.
Another good local station which knock spots off MFR is Northsound Radio in Aberdeen.

Walter Ego
04-Mar-11, 22:56
Well, there you go.

Never mind, eh?

Metalattakk
04-Mar-11, 23:12
Certianly not, I was merely treating your tosspot reply with the contempt it deserved.
But saying you are obviously looking for a reacton then there you go.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/128921318576318716.jpg

orkneycadian
04-Mar-11, 23:21
I must say the car never picks up MFR on 97.4 however I will be sure to try and manually tune it in.
As I say, I prefer superstation as the music is better and it seems more slick however if it is streamed from the south then fair enough.
Another good local station which knock spots off MFR is Northsound Radio in Aberdeen.

Do so. I always find it a bit odd that when coming off the boat at Gills, MFR is stronger on 97.4 than it is on 102.5. But yet, crossing the Kessock bridge, 97.4 is a load of weak, crackely bruck.

Theres a whole world of internet radio out there these days. Original 106 I found a better station from Aberdeen than Northsound, and still sometimes listen to it on the internet radio. Superstations music policy is just confusing. At least with CFM there are clearly defined genres in shows. Tune into Frankly Folk, you know it'll be Folky. Tune into Barbara Bain, you know it will be, well, lets just move on....

With the "Super"station, its just like having the CD collection of someone with no clear idea of what they like on "random play". Presumably, its part of the "More Music, More Variety" (A tagline blatantly stolen from CFM!), but more likely a case of "play anything in the hope that the biggest range of audience tune in"

davem
05-Mar-11, 00:41
Hi Fran
Sorry - CFM have their own tapes of everything but I'm not sure if there is the facility to copy them. I'll ask next time I'm in - is there a specific show you wanted?

charlie
05-Mar-11, 00:49
Hi Fran
Sorry - CFM have their own tapes of everything but I'm not sure if there is the facility to copy them. I'll ask next time I'm in - is there a specific show you wanted?

A gent as always Dave even after the unwarranted flak this thread provoked.
I thought you might be along before long, but were biding your time.

Aaldtimer
05-Mar-11, 04:56
Strange that all these opinionated people like mi16 and Orkneycadian haven't noticed that Frankly Folk hasn't been on air since last Easter!...Finger on the pulse guys eh?:roll:

Moonboots
05-Mar-11, 08:16
2 years ago i wanted to give up some spare time but they wanted me to answer phones first for a while.
Im not interested in answering phones. If thats the case i would goto BT and get paid for it lol.

Walter Ego
05-Mar-11, 09:31
2 years ago i wanted to give up some spare time but they wanted me to answer phones first for a while.
Im not interested in answering phones. If thats the case i would goto BT and get paid for it lol.

Well, it would appear that you weren't that interested in the first place.

If I was genuinely interested in helping out somewhere then I'd be happy to start off with the most basic jobs whilst I learned the rest.

Apprentice: Fetch and carry, look and learn - then move up.

orkneycadian
05-Mar-11, 09:47
Strange that all these opinionated people like mi16 and Orkneycadian haven't noticed that Frankly Folk hasn't been on air since last Easter!...Finger on the pulse guys eh?:roll:

Gawd? That long? I must have done a Davey Sinclair and fallen asleep during the show!

mi16
05-Mar-11, 10:36

Like I say I dont listen to it so I wouldnt know anymore

Moonboots
05-Mar-11, 13:04
Well, it would appear that you weren't that interested in the first place.

If I was genuinely interested in helping out somewhere then I'd be happy to start off with the most basic jobs whilst I learned the rest.

Apprentice: Fetch and carry, look and learn - then move up.

I would have been more than happy to learn. You dont learn by answering phones tho do you.
And by the way. I have already worked in the broadcasting area and im also a DJ too.

Walter Ego
05-Mar-11, 13:35
And by the way. I have already worked in the broadcasting area and im also a DJ too.

I reckon you've just given the real reason for not being willing to help out in 'other' areas......;)

orkneycadian
05-Mar-11, 16:58
For all you DJ's that don't want to answer the phones, CFM are advertising this afternoon for presenters and for volunteer receptionists! No word about you having to serve your time on the phones first! :cool:

mi16
05-Mar-11, 21:07
For all you DJ's that don't want to answer the phones, CFM are advertising this afternoon for presenters and for volunteer receptionists! No word about you having to serve your time on the phones first! :cool:

Surely the receptionish would be on the phone?

kevsuths
05-Mar-11, 21:16
Like I say I dont listen to it so I wouldnt know anymore

Why would you speak about the station like that then. Maybe things have changed.

sandyr1
05-Mar-11, 21:20
I always wondered why I rec'd the signal sometimes and other times no, cumman up e rod!

golach
05-Mar-11, 21:41
Sandy, I listen to this station most Sat evenings, and it is in Western Canada, great owld fashioned Scottish music

http://cfcr.ca/index

sandyr1
06-Mar-11, 00:13
Thankx......

Fran
07-Mar-11, 00:48

Well everyone has to start somewhere in a job. Everyone does the phones to get the experience before doing their own show. why dont you try Radio Remedy at the hospital, they want volunteers, and no phone answering needed, but you still need to be trained!

Fran
07-Mar-11, 00:49

Well said Unicorn.

Fran
07-Mar-11, 00:59
Well , what can i say. I only came on to ask a simple question, and out of 40 replies, only two from Torvaig and Davem were the only ones who answered. thankyou both. Im surprised that none of you have made remarks about our other local radio station while you were at it - Radio Remedy, the hospital radio station in Wick.
mii6 you dont need experience, you would be shown what to do.

Retrodj you should apply if you are interested in being a volunteer even to answer the phones and then move up.

Orkneycadian - yes you are quite right. CFM is local with local presenters who give up their time, and you get through to Thurso if you phone, not somewhere far away.
If as you say the radio is heavy on country music that is because the listeners have asked for it.

Why dont some of you offer to help out at the hospital radio.

Moonboots
07-Mar-11, 14:12
I done Radio Remedy years ago as a presenter and co-presenter of a show.
I would have been more than willing to learn but answering a phone is not learning.

Walter Ego
07-Mar-11, 20:36
I done Radio Remedy years ago as a presenter and co-presenter of a show.
I would have been more than willing to learn but answering a phone is not learning.

Nah, I reckon you got a strop on because they didn't fall over themselves to give you a 'primetime' slot the minute you appeared......;)

Moonboots
08-Mar-11, 13:52
I actually didnt tell them about my experience. I just enquired about it thats all.

Any slot is better than none lol

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 11:22
So now that you know that they are looking for presenters, separately from the folk they are looking for to answer the phones, have you been in touch with them to tell them about your experience?

buddyrich
09-Mar-11, 14:22
I actually didnt tell them about my experience. I just enquired about it thats all.

Any slot is better than none lol

There is a hierarchy where those there longer have a chance at getting a slot, but it's also a voluntary organisation where people muck in to keep the place running. If you can be relied upon to turn up and do reception duties for a season then you can probably be allowed the responsibility of turning up to do a programme each week. Fair's fair. But i would say with your attitude, it's not for you to lower yourself to, having already scaled the heights of hospital radio.

Tugmistress
09-Mar-11, 15:52

If your going to listen to a station streamed in from England, then there are a huge number on the internet to pick from that are far better. Until such time as we can get 3G internet car radios here, then MFR on 97.4/1107 and 102.5 do just grand. Some of the CFM programmes are OK. Still miss Paula on the Friday Night Rock Show though.... :( At least CFM broadcast from actual studios with actual local presenters. If you phone them up, you get through to Thurso, not Macclesfield. Bit heavy on the country music though, but then over here, we thought that was just Caithness!

Aw thank you Orkneycadian :) i miss the emails from you lads too ! it was great fun for the few years i did it until office politics got in the way!
fran, the shows are recorded on VT so it may be possible to get it copied but don't wait too long, after a while they are recorded over.... or that's what happened when i was there anyway.

trix
09-Mar-11, 18:46

i see yer choost as popular on facebook as ye are on here mi16......

quote - "Caithness.orgers are only ever happy when they are complaining! I'd struggle to find something they haven't bitched about!"

yer gien us a bad name mate [evil]

kevsuths
09-Mar-11, 19:18
yer gien us a bad name mate [evil]

Very true!

orkneycadian
09-Mar-11, 20:09
it was great fun for the few years i did it until office politics got in the way!

Aye, you'll need to set up an internet radio station, specialising in Rock, metal, weather forecasts and tips to get reluctant Mark 3 Escorts to start! :lol:

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 13:13
Went an errand to Kirkwall this monring. Rumours that some of the roads were closed (yeah, we're wimps across here and an inch of snow sends folk into a panic....). Thought that since it was outwith the broadcast times for Radio Orkney, I would see what the "Superstation" was saying about the roads in the 11am news bulletin. Nowt. The "local" news seemed to consist of some football player "doon sooth" that is not getting charged for shooting someone with an air rifle! :roll:

Local radio station my rrrr's! :D

chordie
10-Mar-11, 13:33
"Superstation"......Local radio station my rrrr's! :D

Superstation isn't a local radio station, as such, it's just a general music station that happens to have local people in the delivery of it. I never really understood what market it was trying to aim at.

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 13:56
it's just a general music station that happens to have local people in the delivery of it.

Er, it doesn't even have that!

chordie
10-Mar-11, 14:03
Er, it doesn't even have that!

Xenophobe;)

(Surely the cleaner is from Kirkwall ? OK, maybe not.)

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 14:36
To clean what? The transmitter mast? [lol]

chordie
10-Mar-11, 15:15
To clean what? The transmitter mast? [lol]

Is the 'Training Scheme' ruse to get lottery funding defunct now then ?

orkneycadian
10-Mar-11, 15:18
I would have thought so. You don't even see a trained presenter round these parts, let alone one in training! No sign of any new young talent on and of the stations over here as a product of this training either!