PDA

View Full Version : twins

funky-dunky
29-Aug-06, 12:05
has anybody ever had twins???

i amk expecting twins and i dont know what it is like would anyone please tell me. i am 12 weeks tomorrow and got thru that bit so far without morning sickness, so what else is to come.

Saveman
29-Aug-06, 12:07
has anybody ever had twins???

i amk expecting twins and i dont know what it is like would anyone please tell me. i am 12 weeks tomorrow and got thru that bit so far without morning sickness, so what else is to come.

Two babies. ;)

Congratulations BTW! :D

Ricco
29-Aug-06, 12:15
Two babies. ;)

Congratulations BTW!

Very droll, Saveman. Well done, nice answer. :D

Saveman
29-Aug-06, 12:19
Very droll, Saveman. Well done, nice answer. :D

Sorry, I just can't resist sometimes. I hope you get some sensible answers Funky-Dunky. :)

funky-dunky
29-Aug-06, 12:20
thank you everyone

SEB
29-Aug-06, 12:25
Hi there
I am a Co-Ordinator with Home-Start Caithness (as well as a mum of twins!). We run a twins club every month (one in Wick on the first Wednesday of the month, and one in Thurso on the first Monday of the month). They are open to all parents of twins and multiple births and to all mums expecting twins/multiples. They're a good opportunity for mums to meet up together to chat/compare notes/etc etc, and the children get the chance to play together. We also provide a buffet lunch. If you would like to get in touch, you can contact me on 01955 606222 or 0796 160 1821, or email h-scaithness@btconnect.com
Congratulations by the way!
:D

paris
29-Aug-06, 12:34
porshiepoo has twin girls.....

Suth11
29-Aug-06, 13:30
The home&health channel have a programme called mulitple mums its all about twin and multiple births, pregnancy and so on. its quite good but i couldn't watch those programmes when i was preg cos they can be a bit graphic! http://www.homeandhealthtv.co.uk/_listings/

Why not ask your mw if she knows of anyone that would give you some advice about twins.

the only advice i can think of is instead of buying double everything try to borrow from friends and family.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PREGNANCY
:)

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 13:52
Congratulations :D

Murchiemannie
29-Aug-06, 14:51
Congratulations funky-dunky on your forthcoming happy event.
Have 7year old twin grandsons (identical) and they are a joy to look after.
They were only three and a half pounds each in weight when born six weeks prem. but you should see them now....healthy happy wee boys, now into P3 at school. When you call one if it's the wrong name they innocently say "I'm not K... I'm R... no doubt that will change...but think of the fun...
Please keep us posted on your progress and Good Luck!

porshiepoo
29-Aug-06, 19:07
Yep! Have twin girls (identical) now 15 years.

I think it's quite normal to expect not to go full term. I was 3 weeks premature and was told that was good. One weighed 4lb 8 and the other 5lb (one of the plus sides to having twins - they're smaller) lol.
The down side to them being so small was that they couldn't feed themselves so they had to be fed through a tube in the nose. (Not so scary as it sounds). And because I wanted to do it myself and showed that I could do it, it meant they couldn't go to special baby care unit and I had to stay in hospital for 2 weeks - the time it took for them to feed themselves.

You'll probably get xtremely cheesed off before long with 'well meaning' people you know that congratulate you 'on getting it all over and done with in one go' or 'oh you're so lucky - I'd love to have 2 at once'. Yeah right!

They're a joy to have and will most probably cause alot of stir when you're out and about with them, in fact my hubby's dad and uncle found it drew the ladies when they used to take them walks. lol.

On the down side (sorry, but they do have em) it's twice the cost, twice the time consumed and twice as knackering.
The trick is to find whats best for you when they're just babies - do you want to feed them both at the same time or one at a time? If you're bottle feeding it's easier one at a time (unless you have hubby to help), in which case you have to hope that you can get a bottle in the mouth of one before the other wakes up. :lol: If they're identical though I don't fancy your chances at that.

The biggest tip I can give is to perservere, whatever it is. It's harder to adjust when theres 2 of them and if you're not careful you can end up feeling useless. That won't be the case!
As frowned upon as it was, when I was alone I'd feed one (bottle) and I'd prop the bottle against something for the other one. Try as you might no 'supermum' has 4 hands. It saved time (which you learn is important) and meant you didn't have to leave a screaming baby whilst you fed them 1 at a time. Anyone that tells you it's bad to do that, probably hasn't had twins!
It's also hard to spend quality time with each one individually as well, especially if you're on your own, but you soon learn ways around that. When they're very young those bouncy seat/cradle things are a god send for entertaining 2 at a time with funny faces.

Most importantly though would be to accept help whenever it's offered. Don't think you should be able to cope alone (you and other half), you'll be a much more relaxed, happy mum if you accept the help when it's needed and get time to yourself.

Congratulations though and enjoy every minute of it. Like I said before they're a joy to have.

funky-dunky
30-Aug-06, 20:43
thank you everyone and i am going to be breastfeeding

may67
30-Aug-06, 21:39
I have twin boys, now nearly 9 years old. My top tip is.....one of the arched pillows ( V shaped ones)......brilliant for propping up 2 babies and feeding with a bottle in both hands.
I tried to get them into feeding together , other wise i'd never of got any sleep at all. yes its hard work, yes its tiring, and yes expensive with nappies etetetete, but as they grow up they are never lonely! Enjoy! Feel free to Pm me if i can be of any help.........x

funky-dunky
31-Aug-06, 10:14
thank you for your post i will pm you if i feel stuck at anytime

corky
31-Aug-06, 11:34
Go for it on the breastfeeding front funky-dunky - it can be done with twins - my wife managed well into their second year with the health visitor regularly amazed and chuffed at how she was managing.

Agree with Porshipoo that it is knackering and at times when they're babies it can appear their is no end in sight to the slog but there is an end and it is well worth it.

Don't know if you've others but we had two older siblings at nursery and school to manage too and got there so you can too. If someone offers any help then grab it - it can make a big difference. Even if it is just someone to run them round the block a couple of times in their pram it is a break.

Twice the work yes but once they notice each other way more than twice the fun.

Good luck