PDA

View Full Version : NHS care or lack of it

golach
29-Aug-06, 11:23
I am shocked on seeing and hearing this news in todays media, what is our NHS doing to us, if not killing us with MRSA
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5294518.stm

Then they are starving our "In care" eldery
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5275932.stm

How has this state of affairs come about, [evil]

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 11:38
At a wild guess I would say cost cutting would be at the heart of the problem. Too many overpaid management meaning less money for the wards and the kitchens.

Ann
29-Aug-06, 14:52
Exactly! The same is prevalent all over.

How many businesses start up with all the help available, grants etc., then the next they are closing because the directors got loadsamoney for doing much less than the unfortunate souls that came to work for them and who are then cast on the scrapheap.

Methinks the hospitals would be better off NOT being part of Big Business.

Whitewater
29-Aug-06, 15:55
There are too many administrators in all our hospitals now, the place is run by accountants, I don't think the matrons (is there still such a person?) or consultants have much say in matters. The minimum amount of cleaners are employed, and they are restricted by their contracts and unions as to what they may or may not clean, as well as the height they are allowed to reach.

What you have all said is sadly, very relevant and true.

celtchicky
29-Aug-06, 18:58
bein a nurse in the hosp i totally agree about the management. there are too many rules and regulations about can and cant be done etc. i will say the domestic staff work damn hard at our place. however one such cause would be the lack of handwashing by the DOCS!!!!

ginajade
29-Aug-06, 20:08
How to erradicate MRSA:- Bring back the old nurse system with your hierarchy of staff. Domestics came under the scrutiny of matrons and sisters, who ruled their wards with an iron rod. Management were practiced, mature nurses, who had worked their way to the top and knew how things worked on ground floor level. Student nurses had to pass their accademic stuff and practical exams. Respect for colleagues and patients alike was a priority. The holistic care of the patient was utmost, Eg: uncreased beds, proper nutrition, respect for spiritual needs, pressure area care, form filling, proper reports at handover of shifts. I am not talking about that many years ago, but in the 1980's when I did my training. Nursing has become too textbook with minor emphasis placed on practical care, and as for the manager posts, a manager from Lidls is more likely to get the post than a nurse.
Through privatisation, political correctness, a greed for money and a lack of general discipline in our world, the government is slowly killing the nhs that generations of our family have fought for.
Sorry will get off my high horse, but I really think that moving forward is not always the answer. The old way was not perfect, but sometimes we need to stock of what did work.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 20:47
What you are saying is true of more than just hospitals so many places are getting bogged down with all sorts of rubbish that doe not help the job progress or improve. Too many fat cats with fat wallets working out how to keep the wallet fat and not actually doing anything usefull.