PDA

View Full Version : baby girl brought back to life after being frozen for 3 days!!

annemarie482
03-Mar-11, 10:04
http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/british-baby-girl-brought-back-to-life-after-being-frozen-for-three-days/story-fn5fsgyc-1226015463826

what an amazing story!

amazing what pioneering procedures can be done nowadays!
the parents are so lucky to still have their baby.

that baby would have died in most hospitals.

SunnyChick
03-Mar-11, 10:19
Incredible!

AliciaMackinnon
03-Mar-11, 10:24
brought me to tears!

that is amazing!

Carole
03-Mar-11, 11:44
Brilliant story! Some lovely pics of mum and baby on http://www.metro.co.uk/news/857067-ella-the-stillborn-baby-brought-back-to-life-after-being-frozen

annemarie482
03-Mar-11, 12:09
excellent link carole thanks!

it's just amazing, i'm so glad medical advancements have come so far :)

chordie
03-Mar-11, 13:25
This is a piece of dangerous hype. This is actually a procedure which is broadly frowned upon by the medical profession because almost all babies that this has been done to, and survived, have severe brain damage because of the rather obvious side effect of being starved of oxygen at birth. The only reason this is in the news is because the child appears to not have initial signs of brain damage, but that means nothing as it takes years to properly find that out.

Carole
03-Mar-11, 13:41
This is a piece of dangerous hype. This is actually a procedure which is broadly frowned upon by the medical profession because almost all babies that this has been done to, and survived, have severe brain damage because of the rather obvious side effect of being starved of oxygen at birth. The only reason this is in the news is because the child appears to not have initial signs of brain damage, but that means nothing as it takes years to properly find that out.

If the alternative is a stillbirth (full stop), I would prefer the doctors to try out the 'risky' procedure on any child of mine. Most new procedures are risky to some degree but improving and perfecting procedures is surely to be encouraged? How else will medical science progress?

Blazing Sporrans
03-Mar-11, 13:50
I personally don't see what dangerous hype is involved here. It was a last-chance procedure used to revive a baby who might probably otherwise have died. Instances such as these will always be assessed on a case by case basis - it's not a prescriptive treatment and despite the wishes of any parents, the doctors will always have the final say on whether a newborn will be eligible for such a treatment, taking into account all the individual and risk factors. Let's celebrate a life saved and the incredible advances and pioneering research in medicine that bring us good news stories such as this.

Garnet
03-Mar-11, 15:04
Using ICE, althoug new 'here' (UK) is not new elsewhere as in Russia where some of their hospitals are extremely basic with little or no equipment have been using bucket loads of ICE to conduct operations, this was in a documentary a few years ago and was/is common practise and seem to have excellent long term results, so here's luck to the little one.

brandy
03-Mar-11, 15:19
personally, and this is coming from loosing my own child.. if they could have done anything and i mean anything to save my little boys life i would have agreed to it.
it actually hurt me to read this story and i felt jealous in a small way that this woman was so lucky when so many of us are not. there is not a day that goes by that i do not think of Tom , and i see other children his age.. and think of what could have been...
i am so glad that medicine has come along to give some a chance.. where death was the only other option.

chordie
03-Mar-11, 16:41
i am so glad that medicine has come along to give some a chance.. where death was the only other option.

Is it really worth having the 1 in 10 that survive this procedure at the expense of the 9 in 10 that survive with permanent brain damage ? That sounds a heck of a lot more cruel. Can't people accept that Mother Nature knows best.

bekisman
03-Mar-11, 16:44
Is it really worth having the 1 in 10 that survive this procedure at the expense of the 9 in 10 that survive with permanent brain damage ? That sounds a heck of a lot more cruel. Can't people accept that Mother Nature knows best.
So presumably you have never seen a Doctor?

brandy
03-Mar-11, 16:45
when you hold your dead child in your arms come back and talk to me.. until then get stuffed

Kitcat
03-Mar-11, 17:31

Why should a child with brain damage not have the right to live anyway? Do you think that every child who is damaged has no right to live a full and happy life.

Blazing Sporrans
03-Mar-11, 21:07
I suspect if chordie had a child's life saved by medical intervention, pioneering or otherwise, then he'd have a completely different perspective on things. I can only praise whatever powers that be that he's not a doctor, that he makes no important decisions to affect the rest of us and that he's a person of very little consequence in the grand scheme of things... :roll:

chordie
03-Mar-11, 22:09
when you hold your dead child in your arms come back and talk to me.. until then get stuffed

Been there, done that, Feb 2000 - a great way to start the new millennium. But I accepted it was nature's way.

Dadie
03-Mar-11, 22:33
Thet are making amazing steps in medicine, with ICE, its being tried in heart attack and stroke patients too.
Freeze them too buy the time to sort out the problem then take them back up to temp, to either prevent or lessen the brain damge that is caused by the brain being starved of oxygen.
Remarkable that something so simple as ice can do so much!

brandy
04-Mar-11, 00:08
i dont believe that.. if it was natures way i would not have any of my children. and they are in perfect health now.. my 8 year old would never have survived if it wasn't for medical intervention. if left up to nature me and ben both would likely be dead as i had to have a section with him as he was to big to birth. Tom died in Feb 2007, and my mother told me .. maybe its for the best.. its natures way.. if he had lived there would prob. have been something wrong with him.. do i care? no.. as i told my mother i wouldn't care if he had two heads.. he was my baby.. and he deserved that chance at life. we fight that is what makes us dif. from the beasts in the field. to push those boundaries and say no.. im not going to give up.. and we find new ways.
the drs asked me if i would consider a post Morten for Tom, they were so afraid i would freak out and break down at the thought.
i told them to do what ever they needed to do.. that if they could find anything that would help prevent another mother from going thru what i went thru it would be worth it.
they couldn't save my baby.. but i live in hope that the things they learn can save some one else's.

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 00:21
Thet are making amazing steps in medicine, with ICE, its being tried in heart attack and stroke patients too.
Freeze them too buy the time to sort out the problem then take them back up to temp, to either prevent or lessen the brain damge that is caused by the brain being starved of oxygen.
Remarkable that something so simple as ice can do so much!

Totally agree dadie ,
Here's hoping many more lives can be saved.

chordie
04-Mar-11, 12:03
i dont believe that..

Oh I see, so no-one else is allowed to have the same life experiences as you. Well if you'd like to take a half-hour out of your self-centred sanctimonious life and pop into Wick, I'll meet you at the entrance to the new cemetery and we'll visit the grave where he's in with his granny and grandpa.

Dadie
04-Mar-11, 12:12
You have mis quoted Brandy!
And mis read what she has said.
she doesnt believe that mother nature knows best and without medical intervention she wouldnt have her boys.
Not that she doesnt believe you lost a child.
Brandy is not self centred or sanctimonious.

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 12:20
Oh I see, so no-one else is allowed to have the same life experiences as you. Well if you'd like to take a half-hour out of your self-centred sanctimonious life and pop into Wick, I'll meet you at the entrance to the new cemetery and we'll visit the grave where he's in with his granny and grandpa.

i'm sure brandy meant she doesnt believe its natures way.
she most certainly is not that heartless.

AliciaMackinnon
04-Mar-11, 13:09
again the point of this story has been forgotten!

Brandy and Cherodi your stories brought me to tears!

But I belive if there is something that could be done... why not take that chance?

My husband has DNR on his medical records but if it was anything to do with our daughter Eilidh he would give his life so that she could have hers no matter what complications may arrise!

I think that every child deserves a chance at life no matter what is "wrong" with him/her!

When I was pregnant with my daughter I even told my husband that if he had to pick one or the other id rather he chose Eilidh!

brandy
04-Mar-11, 13:25
sorry chordie if you got the wrong end of that stick.. i never said i didnt believe you.. i said i dont believe personally that we should leave everything to mother nature.
I also have a wee boy in the new cemetery and i visit him quite often.