PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Gas again.

piratelassie
03-Mar-11, 02:30
40 year old Westminster documents reveal that Scotland would have been one of the richest nations in the world had we been in control of the gas and oil reserves in our North Sea waters. Makes you think .

Phill
03-Mar-11, 02:37
Scotland has some of the finest open spaces, moorlands, Highlands, Lowlands, Glens and Lochs in the world. And we ignore this and build windymills instead.

Your point is?

ginajade
03-Mar-11, 02:39
i think her point is , are you not tired of the lies we scots get fed from the westminster crims,

piratelassie
03-Mar-11, 02:44
Could you explain what you mean please.

sandyr1
03-Mar-11, 02:45
40 year old Westminster documents reveal that Scotland would have been one of the richest nations in the world had we been in control of the gas and oil reserves in our North Sea waters. Makes you think .

Perhaps you could tell me how Scotland lost out? Who gets the Revenue from the Off Shore Oil?

porshiepoo
03-Mar-11, 09:51
i think her point is , are you not tired of the lies we scots get fed from the westminster crims,

Not that old tosh again. Seriously give it up, it's been moaned about to death now.

But OK humour me - what lies are Scots being fed now by the "Westminster Crims"?

weezer 316
03-Mar-11, 11:44
mmmmmm...........Scotland is one of the richest nations in the world. Plus we dont actually have all that much oil.

Plus, you seem to overlook, like most on this subject, is scotland was independent we wouldnt benefit from the city of london, the real powerhouse of this country, not oil.

Anfield
03-Mar-11, 11:55
And we ignore this and build windymills instead.

And Golf courses for rich Americans, certain MSP's and Aberdeen councillors who did not have the bottle to resist Trumps dollars

chordie
03-Mar-11, 13:30
It's not "Scotland's oil". It's not "Britain's oil". The oil belongs to the world. No-one in Scotland or Britain put it there - the world's natural resources should be owned by everyone or no-one. By all means pay people to extract it and process it, but it is such a superficial argument to say that because of a freak of geology that this part of Britain should be entitled to more money that anywhere else. Where do you draw the line - should the people living around the Moray Firth basin declare UDI and claim all the revenue from the Beatrice field?

theone
03-Mar-11, 13:38

Yes, it does make you think what could have been.

But there's little point in dwelling on the past.

The oil is a finite resource, it will be gone soon.

bekisman
03-Mar-11, 15:31
It's not "Scotland's oil". It's not "Britain's oil". The oil belongs to the world. No-one in Scotland or Britain put it there - the world's natural resources should be owned by everyone or no-one. By all means pay people to extract it and process it, but it is such a superficial argument to say that because of a freak of geology that this part of Britain should be entitled to more money that anywhere else. Where do you draw the line - should the people living around the Moray Firth basin declare UDI and claim all the revenue from the Beatrice field?
Ah, the Communist Manifesto 1949 section 8 sub para 31...

theone
03-Mar-11, 16:05
Where do you draw the line - should the people living around the Moray Firth basin declare UDI and claim all the revenue from the Beatrice field?

If Shetland ever went for independence it would take a lot of "Scotlands" oil with it, and be super rich as a result.

piratelassie
03-Mar-11, 18:23
Perhaps you could tell me how Scotland lost out? Who gets the Revenue from the Off Shore Oil?

Westminster . And Thatcher spent it on dole money etc. I say dont let Westminster waste it again.

weezer 316
03-Mar-11, 18:32
Westminster . And Thatcher spent it on dole money etc. I say dont let Westminster waste it again.

And the subsequent governments spent it. And scotland got more of it in "dole money" than any other part of the uk seeing as it gets more per head anyway.

Any other fallacies?

sam09
03-Mar-11, 22:44
weezer 316 you are writing a lot of crap. Scotlands industry was torn apart by the so called British Government. Where is our steel works,what happened to our ship builders. I could name more but whats the point ? with your mindset and others like you beleiving Westminster propoganda. What we need is a Free Scotland,out of europe. To build up our industries again put our people to work,make the oil revenue work for the Scottish Nation.

mi16
03-Mar-11, 23:00
weezer 316 you are writing a lot of crap. Scotlands industry was torn apart by the so called British Government. Where is our steel works,what happened to our ship builders. I could name more but whats the point ? with your mindset and others like you beleiving Westminster propoganda. What we need is a Free Scotland,out of europe. To build up our industries again put our people to work,make the oil revenue work for the Scottish Nation.

i sincerely hope not
RULE BRITTANIA

weezer 316
03-Mar-11, 23:06
Westminister propoganda??? What part would that be? Would that be the bit where scotland get around £10bn more from the UK govt than it pays in? Rememeber the taxes from the oil are part of what we pay. We are still £10bn short. Forgot that did you?

You are reading the sun or more likely babbling in the back of the pub.

And as for we need to get out of Europe??? Why exactly? before you make the case for why we should get out of the union and europe, explain what benefits we get from these things first?

theone
03-Mar-11, 23:20

Our industry torn apart by a government?

Absolute nonsense.

Where are our steel works? There were more closed in England than in Scotland. We can't compete globally in that kind of manufacture. Same goes for mining.

Ship builders? Same again. The vast majority of shipbuilding is now done in the far east, where labour is cheap. Nothing to do with the government.

A free Scotland, out of Europe? That would hurt our exports. Leaving the EU would mean our exports to europe would be subject to import duty and so less attractive.

Make the oil revenue work.......................................yes, there's a thought, lets risk our country's future on a resource expected to last about 30 years!

Britain is good for Scotland.

Scotland gets more money from Britain than it provides. And that includes oil revenue.

An independent Scotland would be poorer than the current Scotland. If you see that as a way forward I would suggest it is you, not weezer 316, that is talking a lot of crap.

ducati
03-Mar-11, 23:30

How exactly?

Phill
03-Mar-11, 23:38

Ah, the Communist Manifesto 1949 section 8 sub para 31...
Forget it! I can see the Beatrice from me bedroom window, therefore it falls under my new dictatorship.

Hmmm, now if ever there was a conspiracy for someone to rob the oil revenue I doubt they'd be pishing it up the wall on dole money.

Yes Westminster may be generally frequented by theiving lying criminals but some of them have been \ are Scots. And they generally have anyone over, except for their old public school chums, merchant bankers and all that!

Thatcher and various governments along with unions have destroyed the industry of the UK, it's not been restricted to Scotland.

There will be no independent Scotland, not truly independent. If there were in the current world it would be dead in the water.
The closest you'll get is some watered down pseudo crap from that Salmond idiot.

theone
04-Mar-11, 00:00
Forget it! I can see the Beatrice from me bedroom window, therefore it falls under my new dictatorship.

I'm afraid with only 5000 or so barrels a day you're going to have to find more funding sources to make that dictatorship work ;)

mi16
04-Mar-11, 00:05
I'm afraid with only 5000 or so barrels a day you're going to have to find more funding sources to make that dictatorship work ;)

At over $100 a barrel Id go for that

theone
04-Mar-11, 00:10
At over $100 a barrel Id go for that

Ah, but the profit goes to the oil company. Phil's dictatorship will only get a percentage of that profit.

With mature field extraction costs of up to $70 a barrel, it's not the cash cow it might be.

mi16
04-Mar-11, 00:14
Ah, but the profit goes to the oil company. Phil's dictatorship will only get a percentage of that profit.

With mature field extraction costs of up to $70 a barrel, it's not the cash cow it might be.

Indeed but even if i got $5 for a barrel id be chuffed

Phill
04-Mar-11, 09:03
Ahh but, being an 'independent' dictatorship I'd be setting my own taxation.
To pay for all my independent infrastructure and independent public services and be the richest state in the world I'd tax each barrel at $3000.

See, being independent works!

mi16
04-Mar-11, 09:10
I have a lot to learn in this dictatorship melarkey

weezer 316
04-Mar-11, 12:47
See now what we mean. Scotland is better off part of the union. Its not westminister spin, its a fact

sam09
04-Mar-11, 15:02
Why not have a look here: www.alba.org.uk/scotching/biglie.html. or maybe you are too brain washed to want to beleive the truth. I have to agree about Salmond however the man is a poor excuse for a Nationalist.

theone
04-Mar-11, 23:17
Why not have a look here: www.alba.org.uk/scotching/biglie.html. or maybe you are too brain washed to want to beleive the truth. I have to agree about Salmond however the man is a poor excuse for a Nationalist.

I think you need to read your link again.

Some of the assumptions there are just ridiculous, and the expenditure doesn't mention a penny of all the defence/public sector jobs in Scotland. If you believe for one Second that Scotland gives £42 Billion to Britain and only gets £12 Billion spent on it you're seriously brainwashed!

sam09
04-Mar-11, 23:53
Try reading the links properly open up different links,open your mind. These are Westminster Government figures.Your choice what you believe,my choice what I believe. My opinion is Scotland can be independent.

theone
05-Mar-11, 00:34
Try reading the links properly open up different links,open your mind. These are Westminster Government figures.Your choice what you believe,my choice what I believe. My opinion is Scotland can be independent.

I read the links.

SOME of the figures are from Westminster. A lot of the statistics (such as 97.1% of all oil revenue coming from the Scottish sector) are just made up lies.

The important thing in that link is that it lists income from taxation etc at £42 billion but says Scotland only gets £12 billion back. That's total nonsense!

Yes, the Scottish government budget may well have been that figure, but the Scottish government don't control, or pay for, everything in Scotland. What about the military? That's paid for by westminster. What about the benefits system, dole etc? Again, paid for by westminster. There's many, many more.

I'm all for debating the ins and outs of independence, but that site is one-sided rubbish. If the figures were true you could bet your life Salmond would have been waving them around for years.

I agree, each to their own opinions, and I'll also agree that Scotland could be independent. It would just mean we'd have less money for services, and that it would get less and less as the oil is depleted. What would be worse is that, as the assets of the union were divided up between us and them, we would also get our fair share of the UK debt.

Depending on what figures you believe, that debt is currently around £950 billion. Now assuming we got our 10% or so share, Scotland would instantly be £95 billion in the red. Suddenly the £42 billion your site says we make doesn't seem so significant.

Whereas the UK, with the economic powerhouse of London, can cope with these levels of debt, Scotland could not. Just ask Ireland. Or Iceland.

piratelassie
05-Mar-11, 23:59

Hmmm, now if ever there was a conspiracy for someone to rob the oil revenue I doubt they'd be pishing it up the wall on dole money.

Yes Westminster may be generally frequented by theiving lying criminals but some of them have been \ are Scots. And they generally have anyone over, except for their old public school chums, merchant bankers and all that!

Thatcher and various governments along with unions have destroyed the industry of the UK, it's not been restricted to Scotland.

There will be no independent Scotland, not truly independent. If there were in the current world it would be dead in the water.
The closest you'll get is some watered down pseudo crap from that Salmond idiot.
Norway has an oil fund that is so large they have dificulty spending it.

weezer 316
06-Mar-11, 00:13
A ha, i lost this thread! I was meaning to repond a few days ago.

Norway has far more oil than the UK, about twice as much. Dont im sure about 55% of all the oil in the north sea is in the Norwegian sector.

Again, dont "believe", lok at the facts. We are still nearly £10bn quid out, and I havent heard an idea yet on how we break even, simply "we can survive".

And thats not the mention the £95bn of debt theone mentions. We would be one of the most indebted countries in the world! We would then have a debt equal to more than double our GDP!

theone
06-Mar-11, 00:21

Yes, and Scotland could have had one too if they'd started it in the 60's.

But now, with the majority of the accesible oil gone we can't.

"What could have been" is not an indication of "what could be"

mi16
06-Mar-11, 21:43
But now, with the majority of the accesible oil gone we can't.

Hmm no one told excite energy, BP, eEncore oil or Ithaca that eh
all of the above sitting on massive finds

John Little
06-Mar-11, 22:06
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/douglasfraser/2011/02/oiling_the_economic_wheels.html

theone
06-Mar-11, 22:23
Hmm no one told excite energy, BP, eEncore oil or Ithaca that eh
all of the above sitting on massive finds

Define "massive".

None of those companies have made any recent finds anywhere near the scale of major previous north sea finds.

How many new platforms are being built? The vast majority of "new" developments are tiebacks to old platforms such as Ithaca's Jacky to Beatrice.

oldmarine
07-Mar-11, 19:35

In most places I have observed oil belongs to those who are located above the deposits, develops it, and controls where it will go. Good examples are Saudi Arabia and Alaskan oil. Saudi decides who gets it and who will profit from it. Most of Alaskan oil goes to the orient who are willing to pay the most for it.

Walter Ego
07-Mar-11, 20:45

Welcome to the world of Nationalist One Trick Ponies.

Any minute now someone is going to blart out "They can take away our...."

Blarney
08-Mar-11, 00:41
I suggest that piratelassie and sam09 should just take off into the sunset together ....with some honey and plenty of money wrapped up in a £5 note and hand in hand at the edge of the sand ...................they can recite more fairy stories to one another.

sam09
08-Mar-11, 23:00
Do any of you doubters think your england could go it alone? If Scotland was the lame duck you believe it to be, why keep the so called union?

ducati
08-Mar-11, 23:34
Why do you assume the anti-independence people are English?

Carole
08-Mar-11, 23:44
Why do you assume the anti-independence people are English?

Ditto! Look forward to reading your answer.

sam09
09-Mar-11, 00:16
Sorry I should have said "do any of you doubters of Scottish independance" think England could survive with out Scotland?

theone
09-Mar-11, 00:20
If Scotland was the lame duck you believe it to be, why keep the so called union?

Because together we are stronger.

golach
09-Mar-11, 00:22
Sorry I should have said "do any of you doubters of Scottish independance" think England could survive with out Scotland?

Yes it could

ducati
09-Mar-11, 09:01

Yes......:Razz