PDA

View Full Version : Highland games

debimac
02-Mar-11, 22:36
Where would one say holds the best highland games?
Whilst on holiday about 5 years ago now we stayed in Dornoch and went to the Tain event.
Would have been good if the weather had been better, it emptied down, we were drenched. People running back and forth to the drinks tent for cover! :cool:
I know the weather is one of those things you have to go with the flow.
Would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to which games are good to go to! :)

cherokee
02-Mar-11, 22:39
Although I've never been to it....

"The Black Isle Show" without a doubt !

I've heard rave re-views about it and I know that there is a vast majority of people who attend it !

Kodiak
02-Mar-11, 22:55
In my opinion the Very Best is the Halkirk Highland Games.

It is always very well organised, well attended and every time I have been I have had a fantastic time there.

Here are three Photo's from the Halkirk Highland Games :-

http://i55.tinypic.com/1z5lzs8.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j466h4.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/34qppht.jpg

Cape Crusader
02-Mar-11, 22:58
Try Durness Highland Gathering - last Friday in July.

And then you could go to Halkirk Games on the day after.

My uncle was shot through the tongue at Dunkirk; didn't talk about it much.

Torvaig
02-Mar-11, 23:03
Braemar Highland Games - very popular.

Scarybiscuits03
02-Mar-11, 23:04
I do enjoy the Halkirk Games, it's just a shame that they dont have better toilet facilities.
Every year without fail the toilets end up overflowing and they have to close them......Apart from that a good family day out (if you dont need a wee!!);)

JD6400
02-Mar-11, 23:05
Halkirk is in my opinion without a doubt the best organised games in the circuit, with some of the best prize money. Even on a rainy day this games is always well attended.

lasher
02-Mar-11, 23:09
Although I've never been to it....

"The Black Isle Show" without a doubt !

I've heard rave re-views about it and I know that there is a vast majority of people who attend it !
Black Isle show isnt highland games!

theone
02-Mar-11, 23:19
Halkirk seems to attract big crowds and many proffesionals.

oldchemist
03-Mar-11, 17:57
Halkirk is far and away the best North games. Perth is pretty good too.

cherokee
03-Mar-11, 19:09
Black Isle show isnt highland games!

Please excuse my ignorance, lasher !!! :(:(

OK then, Highland Games ?..........Yes,have to agree with other posts on here - Halkirk Highland Games, definetely !!

George Brims
03-Mar-11, 20:40
We enjoyed the Lonach games a few years ago. Besides the celebrity-spotting (one William Connolly lives there, and his daughter was competing in the Highland dancing, watched by Pamela and Euan McGregor's wife) they have a whole big thing with the various local clans marching about with spears etc. Apparently the tradition is they visit the various bigger houses around the village and enjoy some "hospitality" at each. They are followed by a horse and cart, supposedly to pick up the "wounded and dead" (too drunk to walk!) but really to carry the spears most of the way. The games themselves have the big-time pro athletes - the Glenfiddich heavies.

S&LHEN
03-Mar-11, 20:55
Portree Highland Games on the Isle of Skye a fantastic time with a friendly atmosphere with people from far and wide... Perfect