PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Dress - How did you choose yours?

cherokee
02-Mar-11, 22:00
There's too much doom and gloom on here, so I thought I'd try to lighten things up a wee bit by asking....

How did you choose your wedding dress; was it something you really wanted; did your Mum/MIL give you advice; was your budget small; maybe an heirloom.........?

Me?

My husband spied a wedding dress in a shop-window, and because he knew implicitly what I would love, he made a suggestion that I have a look.

I went to said shop and tried it on (my first trial of any dress) and it was massive on me !! :lol: ....but the assistant pulled it around me and stuck a few pins in (the dress BTW; not me !!!) and....................WOW!!!! That was my dress.

My husband never knew, although he asked how I got on with it, that I'd chosen it.

On our wedding day he was completely gob-smacked when he saw me in the dress he'd "picked for me" as, until then, I let him believe that I didn't like it !!

He's like that, to this day, nearly 14 years later, in that he knows my style and what I do/don't like !

What about your wedding dress ?.....

brandy
02-Mar-11, 22:08
completely dif. from what i wanted.. but as i was getting married in Scotland. i went home to buy my gown. i took my mother, godmother and aunt gown shopping..
i will always remember that day with lots of love and lots of frustration.
i had absolutely no say in my wedding gown.. i was just an opposable mannequin with a check book *laughs*
but i ended up with a very traditional.. queen Anne neck full cathedral train.. pearls as far as the eye can see... but it made the matriarchs happy.. so the rest of us was then happy as well *laughs*

AliciaMackinnon
02-Mar-11, 22:12
wel...

I was heavly pregnant when i got married so the choice was made as to what dress would hide my enormus bump! (not that I didnt love my bump.... I just wanted it to be my day)

In the end after looking at a lot of dresses for pregnant brides! I didnt find one that I liked (they all seemed to say look at me... look at my big bump!) My mum made mine just the way I wanted it!

Ok I wish I had had the perfect dress but im glad i had my baby there with me even if she was in my tummy! Made it extra special!

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 22:18
I fell in love with a dress in Debenhams, It was actually cheaper (and nicer) than all the other dresses I tried on in various shops trying to get something else I liked as much........
My Mum and Dad never saw me in it until my wedding day.
But Mum had to adjust the bridesmaids dresses so the straps stayed up and one had the bra sewn in so the sides wouldnt be seen.
So my bridesmaids had pins stuck in them (made them stand still:lol: )

I kept going back and trying it on (at least 5 times)before opting for it....
It was strapless and slimline..no meringue in sight!

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 22:20
Didn't have one, not into all that. I don't even possess a dress now.

Red
02-Mar-11, 22:44
I had chosen a simple shift dress in purple as it's my husbands favourite colour, but when I got up on the day of the wedding I saw what the weather was like (cold and wet) and put my jeans and a green jumper dress on instead, which was something that my husband had chosen for me because he thinks that the colour really suits me.

I'm not the most conventional of people and most people who know my husband and I well weren't surprised that we got married in jeans!

Fluff
02-Mar-11, 23:30
I have not chosen mine yet, but I am going dress shopping this month! Fingers crossed I will find what I want and hopefully not too expensive!

squidge
02-Mar-11, 23:33
The first time I was married I had my dress made by a firm called fairytales in Leeds. My mum came with me, I had several fittings and it was 1986 so the bridesmaids were in peach and my dress had satin roses on it which matched the ones on my handmade head dress too. It was expensive but I can't remember how much.

This time I wanted something different. I bought a green velvet medieval style dress off eBay for £90. I love it and it was beautifully made. I had a wee plain tiara thing which is made from wire with no beads or sparkles on it which cost
£30. It was called "Caithness" and I love it. I saw shoes online for £125 and really wanted them and then I went into Debenhams and spotted a lovely pair of strappy sparkly shoes which cost me £10 ... They were reduced and reduced and reduced and had been £70. I was delighted.

cazmanian_minx
03-Mar-11, 13:45
I thought I was going to have something plain and simple for a couple of hundred quid and then spend a bit on a really nice piece of jewellery as a more wearable momento of the day. And then I saw a picture of a Sophia Tolli dress, fell in love on the spot, went to try it on, fell in love even further and ordered it that day!

debsj01
03-Mar-11, 15:06
I looked at hundreds of photos online and goodness knows how many mags and shops and never really found a dress i loved, i went to a wedding fair to look for some ideas for favours etc and had a wee potter about looking at a few dresses and i came across a sale dress that i fell in love with as soon as i looked at it, it was the last one and in a size 12 but it was THE dress and i didn't want to put it down, i was a size 18 at that time but decided i had to have it, buying that dress was the start of great things and i did fit into it on our wedding day and felt fab :D

Tugmistress
03-Mar-11, 18:18
lol I got married in a £3 bikini from tesco with a £3 pink 'thing' that was shaped like a triangle and had gold beads and tassles on tied round me on top of the bikini and a pair of lidl sandals ;)
i was as happy as the proverbial pig ;)

cherokee
03-Mar-11, 19:00
What lovely stories of wedding dresses and how they came about - every single one is very special ! :)

Has anyone else got a story to tell ?...

Beat Bug
03-Mar-11, 19:27
In 1971 I borrowed my friend's wedding dress, as we were the same size. My head dress was borrowed from my cousin, and my shoes cost me 10/- (50p) in a local shoe shop sale. That lot must have brought me luck, as we're 40 years wed in 10 days time!

Truewoman
03-Mar-11, 21:52
I was shopping for work clothes in the January sales, saw a gorgeous dress half price in Monsoon and decided it was 'the one'! Never imagined finding a dress would be that easy!

The Music Monster
03-Mar-11, 22:08
I am going to get my Mum to make mine... She doesn't know yet, but that's not a problem because I have yet to find a prospective husband!!!!!

YummyMummy
03-Mar-11, 22:44
Was in London and thought we'd ooo and ahh in the Harrods Bridal Department. Tried on the dress of my dreams, corded lace bodice, raw silk skirt - went home and got a local dressmaker to make the said dress. A fraction of the price. Early 1990's, so very much a meringue - my 16 year old daughter looked fab in it when she tried it on recently and it brings back special memories! I'll never part with it, although I doubt the meringue will ever come back into fashion...............

Dadie
03-Mar-11, 22:51
Oh I remember standing in a bridal shop in Inverness ... having my first dress trying on session (on my own as my bridesmaids couldnt make it) getting chucked in dress after dress after dress even if I said I didnt like it.
It was a very fustrating day.
I didnt want anything heavy....some were so big I needed to step into them with help from 2 other people!

sweetpea
04-Mar-11, 00:11
Haha me too! I know exactly what dress and even have a spare in a box of ebay for when the time comes...

Lolabelle
04-Mar-11, 10:55
I had cooked, waitresses and been a bridesmaid too many time to count, so when Dave and I got married, I bought a nice creamy lace dress at a local chain clothes store for about $80 I thought it was was lovely, I'll see if I can find a photo to add :)8604

ShelleyCowie
04-Mar-11, 13:53
I was pregnant when i got married (only had 1 month to go) so any dress i could find that fitted would be awsome! But....i was searching ebay (good ol' ebay) because we were on a mega tight budget as we were only engaged for 8 weeks, found the perfect maternity dress that showed off my bump :) It was a nice blue colour (i dont do white with kids)

Might aswell let you in on the price too, £20 LOL! What an expence ;)

poppett
04-Mar-11, 16:34
My wedding dress was burgundy long sleeved with lace over a crinkled cotton underslip. No ironing required. It has been worn a number of times to spring or autumn weddings and a couple of christmas outings too. Cost £20 off a market stall in Bury in 1995 by a friend as a thank you for nursing her husband at home during his final illness. It was worn to two birthday celebrations, a wedding, anniversary and christmas before being my wedding dress in 1999. Excellent value for money, and it is still as good as new ready for the next wedding............................

annemarie482
04-Mar-11, 16:55
it'd be lovely to see pics of all your wedding dresses to see whats styles you picked!
im getting married next year in june, but although looking for ideas now, i'm not buying until jan next year.