PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Prices

Shabbychic
02-Mar-11, 16:35
Parliament will be discussing fuel prices this evening, and a site called FairFuel (http://fairfuel.crowdmap.com/) is attempting to collect data of prices in various areas. I notice there is nothing for the Caithness area, so if anyone has the latest fuel prices for up here, it would be a good idea to maybe log these in.

I paid £1.34 per litre last week, but don't know what the going rate is now.

Shabbychic
02-Mar-11, 16:58
Have just heard that the SNP have tabled amendments to the Scotland Bill to devolve fuel duty to the Scottish Parliament.

theone
02-Mar-11, 17:05
Have just heard that the SNP have tabled amendments to the Scotland Bill to devolve fuel duty to the Scottish Parliament.

Classic move by the SNP.

Drop fuel duty, send less money to the UK government, then no doubt complain that Scotland doesn't get enough funding from Westminster.

Shabbychic
02-Mar-11, 17:14
Classic move by the SNP.

Drop fuel duty, send less money to the UK government, then no doubt complain that Scotland doesn't get enough funding from Westminster.

Well if it gets the fuel costs down in Scotland, it gets my vote.

theone
02-Mar-11, 17:22

Yes, and I'm sure many others too.

But the government will then have to decide to make even more cuts, or tax us elsewhere.

I actually think tax on fuel is one of the fairer taxes. A bit like VAT, you are taxed by how much you use, not how much you earn. I'd rather see road tax removed and added to fuel duty, again, the less you drive, the less you pay.

mi16
02-Mar-11, 17:23

SNP can ram it, they are one of the main reasons that Caithness is the way it is WRT work and spinning, flashing, noisy eyesores

oldchemist
02-Mar-11, 17:41
I actually think tax on fuel is one of the fairer taxes. A bit like VAT, you are taxed by how much you use, not how much you earn. I'd rather see road tax removed and added to fuel duty, again, the less you drive, the less you pay.[/QUOTE]

lindsaymcc
02-Mar-11, 18:04
1.34 would be a luxury!

notice the thurso town center fuel station is now at £1.42.9 - a 2p rise since the beginning of the week. Certainly wont be using the car much!

weezer 316
02-Mar-11, 18:30
Classic move by the SNP.

Thank god for that! The SNP are like a spoiled brother, they always blame the older brother for the mess of their bedroom

mi16
02-Mar-11, 19:32
I actually think tax on fuel is one of the fairer taxes. A bit like VAT, you are taxed by how much you use, not how much you earn. I'd rather see road tax removed and added to fuel duty, again, the less you drive, the less you pay.[/QUOTE]

what about the folks that use fuel to make a living?

theone
02-Mar-11, 20:15
what about the folks that use fuel to make a living? [/QUOTE]

Then it should be passed on to their customers in the price of their goods/service.

That might even encourage people to "buy local", something many on here think is the right way to go about things.

Corrie 3
02-Mar-11, 20:26

Then it should be passed on to their customers in the price of their goods/service.

That might even encourage people to "buy local", something many on here think is the right way to go about things.

Then the local suppliers can up their prices to whatever they want to rip us off even further........C'mon, get real!!!!!

C3...:mad:

mi16
02-Mar-11, 20:30

That might even encourage people to "buy local", something many on here think is the right way to go about things.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking more along the lines of myself that is on a fixed price contract and has to travel in excess of 600 miles a week to fulfil that contract (out of my own hipper)
I cant pass the cost on, so my profits are poured into my tank week in week out.
No work in Caithness either so that aint an option!!

Shabbychic
03-Mar-11, 01:29
Yes, and I'm sure many others too.

But the government will then have to decide to make even more cuts, or tax us elsewhere.

I actually think tax on fuel is one of the fairer taxes. A bit like VAT, you are taxed by how much you use, not how much you earn. I'd rather see road tax removed and added to fuel duty, again, the less you drive, the less you pay.

That one would also get my vote.

mi16
03-Mar-11, 09:05
That one would also get my vote.

The reson they have this tax is to get a dunt of cash out of the pockets of occassional car users.
It will never happen