PDA

View Full Version : Sore tail!

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 12:33
Well this morning as I bent down to stroke Frodo as I fed him, he hissed at me.
On further investigation of slowly stroking him it was his tail that was hurting him, then after pinning him down in a towel between my knees (to save myself from serious injury from an unhappy cat) I found a nasty inflammed sore at the base of his tail....so off to the vets tonight!
I would happily pay the vet to look at and treat such a sore...but the thought of giving the reluctant patient tablets if he needs antibiotics (from the look of it I would hazard a guess that is going to happen) is already giving me that sick feeling in my stomach as he is such a little sod at taking tablets!
Previous efforts at getting him to take tablets have involved the wearing of oven gloves/leather gauntlets...thick boilersuits..and wrapping him in a towel...definately a 2 person job...one to pin him down..one to be brave or stupid enough to force the pill down the cats throat...then a good half hour watching the little sod to see if he spits it out!

Alba.gu.brath
02-Mar-11, 13:22
oh dear poor lad..

Could it be a swollen gland?

Also you might be able to tell me... Is it too early for ticks?

thanks

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 13:47
No he had been fighting!
Infected abcess type wound..rather the vet sorting it out than me:lol:
Its on the top of his tail...
With the warmer weather we had the last couple of days even if its colder today....the ticks may be emerging now if not pretty soon!

Liz
02-Mar-11, 13:56
Dadie, the vet can give him antibiotics by injection but it will mean you travelling back and forth to the surgery. I think it's every second day but not 100% sure.

Not sure whether they have antibiotic powder which you could put in strong smelling food?

Get well soon Frodo.

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 20:49
Yup..I wimped out and he is getting the jabs!
He had a go at the vet, but, the abscess has been burst so hopefully it will be cleaned out and will heal nicely now.

unicorn
02-Mar-11, 21:10
ouch poor Frodo, sometimes the easy option is best :)

brandy
02-Mar-11, 21:44
awww poor mannie! but at least you are in one piece and he is now getting better! *laughs* good all around!

Dadie
04-Mar-11, 21:32
The little pest was all set up to go to the vets tonight.
In the cat carrier and everything....then the kids let him out the carrier and the front door!
He didnt turn up until it was far too late, even after phoning the vets and getting a later appointment.
So he will have to go either tommorrow or monday depending on the state of his tail which he wont let me look at!

Vistravi
04-Mar-11, 22:25
Well this morning as I bent down to stroke Frodo as I fed him, he hissed at me.
On further investigation of slowly stroking him it was his tail that was hurting him, then after pinning him down in a towel between my knees (to save myself from serious injury from an unhappy cat) I found a nasty inflammed sore at the base of his tail....so off to the vets tonight!
I would happily pay the vet to look at and treat such a sore...but the thought of giving the reluctant patient tablets if he needs antibiotics (from the look of it I would hazard a guess that is going to happen) is already giving me that sick feeling in my stomach as he is such a little sod at taking tablets!
Previous efforts at getting him to take tablets have involved the wearing of oven gloves/leather gauntlets...thick boilersuits..and wrapping him in a towel...definately a 2 person job...one to pin him down..one to be brave or stupid enough to force the pill down the cats throat...then a good half hour watching the little sod to see if he spits it out!

He sounds just like the cat my sister had. Her cat for injections was held by the scruff of the neck as she'd attack the vet.

Is there a gadget that puts it far in the cats throat forcing the cat to swallow?
My stepfather's cat is really bad for taking tablets too and he uses a weird gadget thing for her.

Saying that i'd totally wimp out and go to the vets too! I'm just glad Merlin is a big softie! He got told of by the vet last time as the vet couldn't hear his heartbeat as he was purring too loud :lol:

brandy
04-Mar-11, 22:45
peach was the same way.. the vet said i assume she has a heart beat but all i can hear is the purr

Vistravi
04-Mar-11, 23:25
A purring cat is a healthy, happy cat though at the vets you wouldn't think so! lol.

Dadie
06-Mar-11, 01:27
Flipping beast never showed up all day!
So if his tail goes septic and falls off before he decides to show up......:mad:
If not he is going to cost me more than if he went through the whole treatment at the right time..
Animals!:eyes

Dadie
07-Mar-11, 15:24
Well we have caught him.
He is going this time without any mishaps.
He is caged and in the car just got to get the kids ready.
It doesnt look so bad today....so hopefully wont need much!