PDA

View Full Version : Still want ASDA?

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 03:18
Check this out -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005310705,00.html

Lolabelle
29-Aug-06, 03:23
What exactly is this ASDA?? Is it a supermarket company?
And if it is, then it isn't exactly thier fault that there is a foriegn object in a can of food. They would only buy products from a company, even generic brands.

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 03:33
What exactly is this ASDA?? Is it a supermarket company?
And if it is, then it isn't exactly thier fault that there is a foriegn object in a can of food. They would only buy products from a company, even generic brands.

It is indeed a U.K. supermarket (chain) that is owned by American Company -http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=316

So, what would you do if something turned up in your food, like in that example? Would you not go back to whoever you got it from?

Lolabelle
29-Aug-06, 03:42
It is indeed a U.K. supermarket (chain) that is owned by American Company -http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=316

So, what would you do if something turned up in your food, like in that example? Would you not go back to whoever you got it from?

Ofcourse you would, but so would they. I don'tlike big US supermarket chains, and we have plenty of em. But the independant (IGA) ones are so much more expensive and have little variety. So it's difficult. I tend to go for convenience.

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 03:46
You will have seen the threads on here about Tesco and Asda coming to Caithness?

Here's Tesco. http://www.tesco.com/

Lolabelle
29-Aug-06, 03:55
And you don't want it?

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 04:00
I knew Walmart over in Canada - I didn't like them then, don't like them now, but they own Asda and I'm in the minority. Of course, over in USA many of their Stores sell guns and that is my main rub - not that they can do it over here, but I think of the money made in that part of their business - scandalous. Tesco is at least British (if that counts for anything anymore).

saffy100
29-Aug-06, 12:07
Hi

How bizarre, i don't really believe much that the tabloids put out.....this seems a bit far fetched...a bullet....i found a snail in a tin af peas once!!!

Saffy100

JimH
29-Aug-06, 12:49
Check this out -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005310705,00.html
How should this story affect Asda coming to Caithness. I do not see the connection. Anybody else see what I am obviously missing.

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 13:49
Weel if it happened in caithness the tin would of exploded due to our hot summers someone could of been killed :lol: . Wait lets ban all tinned food before something bad happens. In fact lets ban shops as they are obviously not good for our health. Everyboby back to crofting and self subsistence living.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 14:01
Hi

How bizarre, i don't really believe much that the tabloids put out.....this seems a bit far fetched...a bullet....i found a snail in a tin af peas once!!!

Saffy100

Meat and Veg hope you not a veggy.

But seriously in the past lots of people have claimed to find things in food some genuine like saffy,but others to claim compensation, discredit companies or just get attention for themselves.
Not from the most reliable source either.

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 14:21
Meat and Veg hope you not a veggy.

But seriously in the past lots of people have claimed to find things in food some genuine like saffy,but others to claim compensation, discredit companies or just get attention for themselves.
Not from the most reliable source either.

Agreed that it isn't the most reliable. However, just as you can't believe everything, surely some things are believable?

There was actually a story in the news last May of a little boy in Telford who found a live snake in his box of cereal!

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 14:24
How should this story affect Asda coming to Caithness. I do not see the connection. Anybody else see what I am obviously missing.

Tongue in cheek maybe, but ask folk on the street what they think maybe?

Rheghead
29-Aug-06, 14:26
I see ASDA have a very good policy in relation to age discrimination. Can only be a good thing, I suppose? In a world which has seen vocational pension benefits slashed and multiple redundancies then I can see good things to come out of an ASDA up here. OK, the pay not be the best in the world, but if folks are just wanting something to keep them out of the red then it might be just what they're looking for.

Elenna
29-Aug-06, 15:43
There was actually a story in the news last May of a little boy in Telford who found a live snake in his box of cereal!

Hey! It was me told you that, on your "Froggie in the Salad" thread! :Razz

Kingetter
29-Aug-06, 15:57
Hey! It was me told you that, on your "Froggie in the Salad" thread! :Razz
You are so right, and I also saw it on a website that showed the wee froggie having his/her greens, earlier. You phrased it so well. Thank you.

http://dreamchimney.com/oftheday/index.php?date=05.04.105&otd=7:)

Victor Vendetta
29-Aug-06, 21:21
"I knew Walmart over in Canada - I didn't like them then, don't like them now"
Why? would be my first response to the above quote from this thread starter.
I'm no lover of big business but Asda are no worse or better than the rest. It doesn't count for anything that Tesco are a British company either, I'm not buying their Britishness I'm buying a product.
It is fashionable to rant against big business but Thurso isn't that special that it ain't gonna happen here.
I look forward to Tesco , Asda et al coming north and I hope the local shops survive as well.
As for the article about the bullet in the spaghetti it could have been worse, it could have been a hand grenade!
The fact that you read the Sun (one of the most immoral institutions around) says more about you than your opposition to Asda does.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 21:40
I want choice.
I want better prices.
I want longer opening hours.
I want ASDA/Tesco... whoever!
And hopefully more cheerful and helpful staff....

scorrie
29-Aug-06, 22:00
And hopefully more cheerful and helpful staff....

I think you will find that you will be getting served mainly by ex Somerfield and Co-op staff. New uniforms, same old faces.

BLACK DOG
29-Aug-06, 22:05
I think you will find that you will be getting served mainly by ex Somerfield and Co-op staff. New uniforms, same old faces.
Tesco opened a store in my home town and it was their policy not to recruit from the other supermarkets in the town (Co-op and Sommerfield).

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 01:28
"I knew Walmart over in Canada - I didn't like them then, don't like them now"
Why? would be my first response to the above quote from this thread starter.
I'm no lover of big business but Asda are no worse or better than the rest. It doesn't count for anything that Tesco are a British company either, I'm not buying their Britishness I'm buying a product.
It is fashionable to rant against big business but Thurso isn't that special that it ain't gonna happen here.
I look forward to Tesco , Asda et al coming north and I hope the local shops survive as well.
As for the article about the bullet in the spaghetti it could have been worse, it could have been a hand grenade!
The fact that you read the Sun (one of the most immoral institutions around) says more about you than your opposition to Asda does.
I read the Sun? So because I highlight a page from one edition that came off the 'Net', I read the Sun? Something very flawed in your deductive reasoning there - and, as it happens, that was linked to from another site and you need to keep personalities out of these discussions. One last thing - I never expressed any opposition to Tesco or big business yet your message might be taken to imply that I had. Please take more care in future.
Thank you.

Rheghead
30-Aug-06, 01:43
Tesco opened a store in my home town and it was their policy not to recruit from the other supermarkets in the town (Co-op and Sommerfield).

I am probably making a pretty good assumption that the situation is a bit different up here. It is a captured customer base and labour market to boot. So choice in the labour market will be fairly limited. Something has to yield though!

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 01:52
I am probably making a pretty good assumption that the situation is a bit different up here. It is a captured customer base and labour market to boot. So choice in the labour market will be fairly limited. Something has to yield though!

Good point, and maybe also add that the Company will seek to do a PR job up here so cannot afford the bad publicity they would surely get by saying 'no' to staff from other shops. Of course that might be a 'public view' so they aren't 'seen to be poaching labour'.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Aug-06, 10:03
They may not be poaching staff I dont know. but is it a coincedence that the other thread is talking about empty shelves and low numbers of staff in wick. If the staff are leaving and just so happen to start working in tescos when its ready thats not poaching is it?

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 10:09
Right, but, when is Tesco due to open and what is 'poaching'?

Naefearjustbeer
30-Aug-06, 10:17
I think tesco is due to open in november. As for poaching ask Delia http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-poach-an-egg,12,AR.html

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 10:29

Probably right on the button there. But, here's another point. If folk change jobs and go to the Tescos and ASDA's, find that they really don't like working for them, will they then want their old jobs back? and will their old employers want them back?

Victor Vendetta
30-Aug-06, 12:45
[/color][/u][/i][/b]
I read the Sun? So because I highlight a page from one edition that came off the 'Net', I read the Sun? Something very flawed in your deductive reasoning there - and, as it happens, that was linked to from another site and you need to keep personalities out of these discussions. One last thing - I never expressed any opposition to Tesco or big business yet your message might be taken to imply that I had. Please take more care in future.
Thank you.

Why did you not like Walmart in Canada?

By getting a little hot under the collar (or seeming to) you have avoided the issue.

I'm not getting personal, just baited a hook and you bit.

Chill out - but why ?

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 14:01
Why did you not like Walmart in Canada?

By getting a little hot under the collar (or seeming to) you have avoided the issue.

I'm not getting personal, just baited a hook and you bit.

Chill out - but why ?

First, you failed miserably to address my remarks to you
Second, I did not get 'hot under the collar' and just because I pointed out your errors need not and does not imply that
Third, if you wish to play games, even mind games go somewhere else & do it
Fourth, my reasons for not liking ASDA were not part of the question which started this thread
Fifth, I have no need to 'chill out' and I find you boring and uneccessary. Go pick faults with someone else or better still answer the initial question.

Now, as we all need to try and co-exist peaceably on this forum, let's call this quits. Is it possible to agree on that?

Victor Vendetta
30-Aug-06, 18:46
And I was genuinely interested in your reasons for disliking Asda.
I hoped my last post would have placated you but it seems to have made you more upset which was not the intention.

peedie man
30-Aug-06, 19:03
the wooden buildings for tesco is arriving by ship on friday

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 20:17
And I was genuinely interested in your reasons for disliking Asda.
I hoped my last post would have placated you but it seems to have made you more upset which was not the intention.

I'm yet to be convinced of your sincerity - your approach has been underhand. Why do I need to justify myself or my reasons to you? I don't.
However, I'll give you one item. Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and amunition in the USA - that power enabled them to buy ASDA. That's all I'm giving you. Now, end of our discussion!

bigpete
30-Aug-06, 20:55
Hi

Kingetter: "However, I'll give you one item. Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and amunition in the USA - that power enabled them to buy ASDA"

Is it that ASDA is now associated with Walmart that you won't buy their beans, or is it that Walmart does what is perfectly legal in the US?

Just down the road is C.H. Haygarth & Sons at Dunnet, Caithness they do nothing BUT sell guns and amunition, that's on our doorstep.. Just a wee bit confused.. never mind

Kingetter
30-Aug-06, 22:53
Hi

Kingetter: "However, I'll give you one item. Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and amunition in the USA - that power enabled them to buy ASDA"

Is it that ASDA is now associated with Walmart that you won't buy their beans, or is it that Walmart does what is perfectly legal in the US?

Just down the road is C.H. Haygarth & Sons at Dunnet, Caithness they do nothing BUT sell guns and amunition, that's on our doorstep.. Just a wee bit confused.. never mind

Do you support the American policy of freedom to buy guns?
How does having a Haygarths 'just down the road' affect your life?

I suppose that shop carries all kinds of guns, just as American shops would?
No I don't really because I'm not so stupid.
I said "Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and amunition in the USA - that power enabled them to buy ASDA" and I do not support any policy that offers such freedom to buy guns or use companies that sell them. Now what is so confusing about that? Those same guns and amunition being bought legally in the USA are not just used for hunting animals with but actually kill people as well - can you justify that? And just because they won't be able to sell guns in ASDA shops here in the UK, does that make them ok? I think not. Maybe you should try living that side of the ocean where 'gunlaw' is the norm and then you'd see how much better our society is without them. If you don't support the freedom for guns policy, why support a company that makes a fortune from those guns?

changilass
30-Aug-06, 23:33
If you don't support the freedom for guns policy, why support a company that makes a fortune from those guns?

My decision to shop in Asda is based on price and product, what their parent company does (legally) in another country does not affect me. The day Asda starts selling guns in the UK is the day I stop shopping there and not before.

Rheghead
31-Aug-06, 00:48
Do you support the American policy of freedom to buy guns?

Yes. What they want to do legally in their own country is their business, not ours. We can laugh, cringe or be disgusted by it, but it is their business.

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 00:50
My decision to shop in Asda is based on price and product, what their parent company does (legally) in another country does not affect me. The day Asda starts selling guns in the UK is the day I stop shopping there and not before.

And what you are doing is expressing personal choice, and that is fair enough. So am I. I just won't willingly or knowingly support a company or its subsidiary that is involved in the 'gun business'. I'm obviously anti-guns so feel therefore it would be hypocritical of me to have anything to do with companies who even legally deal in them.

Lolabelle
31-Aug-06, 01:16
And what you are doing is expressing personal choice, and that is fair enough. So am I. I just won't willingly or knowingly support a company or its subsidiary that is involved in the 'gun business'. I'm obviously anti-guns so feel therefore it would be hypocritical of me to have anything to do with companies who even legally deal in them.

Well I actually believe that you're right. I do not like guns and would not knowingly support any company who sells them beside the frozen peas. Dave and I are boycotting any company that we know who is "related" to Coles/Myer/Shell.
Our reasons are not as morally supported as the gun issue, but we have our reasons.

These things are a personal choice and it's not really anyone elses place to agree or disagree with a personal opinion. Do what you think is best. Lead by example everyone

Ancient Mariner
31-Aug-06, 13:18
Finding half a snail.

Ancient Mariner
31-Aug-06, 13:29
I live near ASDA at Livingstone and shop there regularly.

There are 40 tills and no matter how busy the shop, I've never had to wait for more than one person to get served in front of me.

The staff are all pleasant and friendly, mixed ages.

It's not the be all and end all for shopping but it is very good and the prices are excellent.

For variety I also go to Tesco, Morrison and the Co-op. These are also large supermarkets with a good variety and prices.

Last time I was in Thurso I went to Somerfields, the shelves were bare so went to the Co-op and it was untidy and had big queues at the tills that were open.

Most of the food stuffs sold are proprietry brands that can be had in any other supermarket, although they do have their own brands like most stores.

If they open in Thurso then people can make up their own minds where they want to go.

I know who I would bet on.

bigpete
31-Aug-06, 17:16
From Kingetter: Do you support the American policy of freedom to buy guns? - [if it is the democratic right of that country to do so]
How does having a Haygarths 'just down the road' affect your life? [in no way whatsoever; it is their legal and democratic right to sell weapons, I know 'cause I purchased one, I was merely emphasising the anomaly of not visiting a premise because of a dubious connection with a parent company thousands of miles - and a continent -away, with the juxtaposition of having weapons freely available near by]
I suppose that shop carries all kinds of guns, just as American shops would? [shotguns, rifles, and of course de-activated; sten guns, 303's etc..]

I said "Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and ammunition in the USA [please provide proof -a simple balance sheet? - that shows Walmarts profits were 'very well enhanced' by it's gun sales] - that power enabled them to buy ASDA" and I do not support any policy that offers such freedom to buy guns [but surely the British also have the freedom to buy guns] or use companies that sell them. Now what is so confusing about that? [see above] Those same guns and ammunition being bought legally in the USA are not just used for hunting animals with but actually kill people as well [Michael Ryan killed 15 people in Hungerford. In Dunblane, Hamilton killed 16 kids et.el- these were legally procured weapons] - can you justify that? [it's not the weapon it's the people, - if you ever lived in Switzerland, ask the homeowner to show you his gun, most have legal possession, but a very low rate of gun crime] And just because they won't be able to sell guns in ASDA shops here in the UK, does that make them ok? [they do not sell guns in the UK] I think not. Maybe you should try living that side of the ocean [lived all over the world where guns are freely available, as mentioned above it's the 'people' not the guns] 'gunlaw' is the norm and then you'd see how much better our society is without them. If you don't support the freedom for guns policy, why support a company that makes a fortune from those guns? I don't think folk know this: There are no known rights binding on the states as part of this [second]Amendment. The Second Amendment has NOT been incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment. This means two things: the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not a fundamental personal right; and state and local governments are free to devise any sort of gun law they choose. Currently there are over 20,000 existing gun laws throughout the U.S., many of which are unenforceable because of the sheer numbers involved. . And, one may immediately ask: What is the benefit of that? [carrying arms] The answer is that Kleck & Gertz (1998) found that cities with higher than average gun-carrying rates generally have lower rates of unarmed robbery.

Kingetter
31-Aug-06, 19:33
All that work, all that typing, copying and pasting or whatever just to point out you disagree. So you have opinions, so do I. Seems we will just have to agree to disagree.

From Kingetter: Do you support the American policy of freedom to buy guns? - [if it is the democratic right of that country to do so]
How does having a Haygarths 'just down the road' affect your life? [in no way whatsoever; it is their legal and democratic right to sell weapons, I know 'cause I purchased one, I was merely emphasising the anomaly of not visiting a premise because of a dubious connection with a parent company thousands of miles - and a continent -away, with the juxtaposition of having weapons freely available near by]
I suppose that shop carries all kinds of guns, just as American shops would? [shotguns, rifles, and of course de-activated; sten guns, 303's etc..]

I said "Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and ammunition in the USA [please provide proof -a simple balance sheet? - that shows Walmarts profits were 'very well enhanced' by it's gun sales] - that power enabled them to buy ASDA" and I do not support any policy that offers such freedom to buy guns [but surely the British also have the freedom to buy guns] or use companies that sell them. Now what is so confusing about that? [see above] Those same guns and ammunition being bought legally in the USA are not just used for hunting animals with but actually kill people as well [Michael Ryan killed 15 people in Hungerford. In Dunblane, Hamilton killed 16 kids et.el- these were legally procured weapons] - can you justify that? [it's not the weapon it's the people, - if you ever lived in Switzerland, ask the homeowner to show you his gun, most have legal possession, but a very low rate of gun crime] And just because they won't be able to sell guns in ASDA shops here in the UK, does that make them ok? [they do not sell guns in the UK] I think not. Maybe you should try living that side of the ocean [lived all over the world where guns are freely available, as mentioned above it's the 'people' not the guns] 'gunlaw' is the norm and then you'd see how much better our society is without them. If you don't support the freedom for guns policy, why support a company that makes a fortune from those guns? I don't think folk know this: There are no known rights binding on the states as part of this [second]Amendment. The Second Amendment has NOT been incorporated into the Fourteenth Amendment. This means two things: the right of the people to keep and bear arms is not a fundamental personal right; and state and local governments are free to devise any sort of gun law they choose. Currently there are over 20,000 existing gun laws throughout the U.S., many of which are unenforceable because of the sheer numbers involved. . And, one may immediately ask: What is the benefit of that? [carrying arms] The answer is that Kleck & Gertz (1998) found that cities with higher than average gun-carrying rates generally have lower rates of unarmed robbery.

bigpete
31-Aug-06, 19:35
Fair enough kingetter

Pete

Victor Vendetta
01-Sep-06, 01:25
I'm yet to be convinced of your sincerity - your approach has been underhand. Why do I need to justify myself or my reasons to you? I don't.
However, I'll give you one item. Walmarts buying power is very well enhanced by its sales of guns and amunition in the USA - that power enabled them to buy ASDA. That's all I'm giving you. Now, end of our discussion!

Thanks for your reply, no doubt you will soon be relocating to a country other than the UK which has sold more guns and caused more mayhem than Asda/Walmart put together.
Getting pelters from Big pete too cuttin' and pastin' like a good cheil'
You better change your sign off message, you neither convinced or confused me and you are right our discussion has ended..............

Rheghead
01-Sep-06, 01:35
The American law in relation to right to bear arms was directly influenced from British law.