PDA

View Full Version : Reay psychic

Sigi
02-Mar-11, 01:17
Does anyone know the number or website of the psychic in reay....if they still do readings that is?? Thanks.

youwhat?
02-Mar-11, 13:09
The "psychic" of Reay has no formal accreditation from either the S.N.U (Spiritualist National Union) or the S.A.G.B (Spiritualist Association of Great Britain).This person is no medium,psychic or whatever else she claims to be.
Don't waste your time or money.Only consult with such persons who have the necessary accreditation.That is your "guarantee" if you like.

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 13:24
Or altogether simpler advice....

Don't waste your time or money.

:)

Doreen
02-Mar-11, 13:49
Or altogether simpler advice....

:)Ive been to her and she is brilliant.

Metalattakk
02-Mar-11, 14:26
Ive been to her and she is brilliant.

Brilliant at what? Charging you money for filling your heid with lies and false hopes?

Why is it only women who fall for this? Why?

Doreen
02-Mar-11, 14:29
Brilliant at what? Charging you money for filling your heid with lies and false hopes?

Why is it only women who fall for this? Why?
I can express my opinion if i want who in the hell do you think you are and yeh she is good.

Dog-eared
02-Mar-11, 14:31
Phone her and ask her what time you'll be arriving at....

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 14:37
T....has no formal accreditation from either the S.N.U (Spiritualist National Union) or the S.A.G.B (Spiritualist Association of Great Britain). Only consult with such persons who have the necessary accreditation.That is your "guarantee" if you like.

Hmmm, so what does this accreditation "guarantee"? The membership area of the SAGB simply invites you to provide your credit card details so they can take the £20 (good at taking money these mediums....)

What kind of test, examination or other proof of "competency" do you undergo in order to become "accredited"?

To join the "union" (SNU) seems similarly simple. Pay your 15 quid and promise to abide by 7 principles.

At what point are "accreditied" psychics "tested" to make sure that the services they are charging money for are proper and represent value for money for the consumer, and are not a load of airy-fairy claptrap?

Seems a reasonable consideration. If I were going to one, I would want to make sure she or he has not simply "bought" their accreditation by joining a club....

Metalattakk
02-Mar-11, 14:38
I can express my opinion if i want

So can I. Bite me.

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 14:46
An interesting excerpt from http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/apr/06/eu

Indeed, a whole list of disclaimers must be added to the spiritualists' spiel if they are to avoid an avalanche of writs following the repeal next month of the Fraudulent Mediums Act, to be replaced by the new Consumer Protection Regulations. Promises to raise the dead, secure good fortune or heal through the laying on of hands are all at risk of legal action from disgruntled customers. Spiritualists say they will be forced to issue disclaimers, such as 'this is a scientific experiment, the results of which cannot be guaranteed'. They claim the new regulations will leave them open to malicious civil action by sceptics.

What was that that was being said about a "guarantee"?

Doreen
02-Mar-11, 15:41
So can I. Bite me.No thanks grow up

Metalattakk
02-Mar-11, 15:53
No thanks grow up

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

OK, answer my question then:

Why is it that it's mainly women that believe in all this nonsense?

Doreen
02-Mar-11, 16:23

OK, answer my question then:

Well answer mine why are you so rude and how do you know its a load of nonsense have you been to one i will shut up now and let you prattle on.

Metalattakk
02-Mar-11, 16:50
Ah right. Issue a challenge and those with no answers run away crying. Well done, that's me convinced now. . .:roll:

How can psychics 'speak to the dead' when there's not even any credible proof that an afterlife even exists?

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 16:59
Calm down Metalattakk.....

If you use a member of the S.N.U (Spiritualist National Union) or the S.A.G.B (Spiritualist Association of Great Britain), then they will be accredited and absoltuely guaranteed to be able to tell your fortune with 100% accuracy, as well as contact any dead folk you care to mention. Guaranteed!

Now, if an accredited psychic can get in touch with them, surely that proves beyond all doubt that the afterlife does exist?

Seems there are regulations concerning mediums dating back to at least 1951, and more recently, they are covered by Consumer Protection Regulations. How could there be any doubt whatsoever? ;)

Metalattakk
02-Mar-11, 17:10
Now, if an accredited psychic can get in touch with them, surely that proves beyond all doubt that the afterlife does exist?

Wow. With proof like that at hand, I'm surprised the 'believers' aren't queueing up to find out for themselves what the afterlife's like.

caithgal
02-Mar-11, 22:42
Wow. With proof like that at hand, I'm surprised the 'believers' aren't queueing up to find out for themselves what the afterlife's like.

Now boy you know fine who i am so i will start by saying that many men actually do belive and attend these readings! I for one have had great comfort from readings with the passing of my brother and will go to one when i feel ready from the passing of my ma. Whether you believe or not many folk i know take great comfort from a "belief" that an afterlife does exist whether its a want to believe of just a belief. Dont really think its for anyone to rubbish it. Its for each individual to choose what they feel is right. Having had close family members die over the past 3 ish years i "choose" to believe and really if im honest hope that they are at peace be it in an afterlife or indeed whatever exists after passing. So behave yousel cos i know where ya live lol x

Red
02-Mar-11, 23:43

It isn't, and who says it's nonsense? That may be your belief, but not everyone is as narrow minded.

Some of my family members are spiritualists, mediums and healers. Some of them are men. If you go to a spiritualist church you will find quite a number of the congregation are men.

Rather than spouting vitriol at the beliefs of other people, why don't you open your mind and attend a spiritualist church meeting - you might actually surprise yourself with what you learn.

Spiritualism is a religion and a belief, so why do you have to be so rude to other people about their beliefs - would you consider doing this to someone who has another religious belief e.g. a catholic, a protestant, a muslim, a jew or a hindi? If someone finds comfort in spiritualism, what right do you have to deny them that comfort?

Metalattakk
03-Mar-11, 01:40
*sigh*

As I've always suspected, these believers are beyond help. There's not a shred of evidence you could present them that would change their view, they're like religious fundamentalists. I suspect that if the 'psychic' took them aside and told them - right to their face - that they were being duped they wouldn't believe it.

Quite simply they want to believe, more than anything, and all rational reasoning goes out the window. Yet they say, with no trace of irony, that I'm the one with the closed mind?

Ye couldna make it up.

For those who actually have open minds, here's my usual references. This is how they do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_statements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

RecQuery
03-Mar-11, 08:59
I've taken to asking people 'is there anything that would change your opinion on this' there are a ton of tests which if positive would convince that paranormal etc was real.

I agree it's mainly women that believe these things not sure why, hell they've done tons of experiments to debunk them even recorded a few of them.

BTW science and proof aren't beliefs, this isn't about an 'open mind'; the truth is not democratic - the entire world can believe something that still doesn't make it so, science and reason care not for your feelings or diversity. I consider crap like this to be harmful in the same way that some people used to 'believe' that certain medical practices were valid. As for religion I'd make the same arguments about it. To me it's all just as stupid as believing a teapot orbits the earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot). People seem to get the same comfort from these things as some people get from drugs, hell drugs are less harmful in a way.

Here's a rather extreme and hypothetical analogy: say I believed that all black people or women were stupid animals who shouldn't be allowed to make their own decisions, people would attack that belief and rightly so, or demand proper proof at least. I feel the same with religion, spiritualism etc.

On the subject of comfort from these things. I'd personally be insulted if some idiot tried to impersonate one of my family members. Also would you really want that sort of fate for your relatives: forced to communicate with you via something like Chinese whispers. Here's a test agree on a password before someone dies then go to every psychic and see if anyone of them know that password.

Fran
04-Mar-11, 00:48
Now boy you know fine who i am so i will start by saying that many men actually do belive and attend these readings! I for one have had great comfort from readings with the passing of my brother and will go to one when i feel ready from the passing of my ma. Whether you believe or not many folk i know take great comfort from a "belief" that an afterlife does exist whether its a want to believe of just a belief. Dont really think its for anyone to rubbish it. Its for each individual to choose what they feel is right. Having had close family members die over the past 3 ish years i "choose" to believe and really if im honest hope that they are at peace be it in an afterlife or indeed whatever exists after passing. So behave yousel cos i know where ya live lol x

Well said Caithgal. I have been to both public meetings and private readings which gave me great comfort, and received messages which no one else would have understood because they were personal for me.

onecalledk
04-Mar-11, 11:46
Once again I would ask why people can CATEGORICALLY state there is no afterlife or nothing beyond what they perceive as living with such venom? Each one of us has our own truth, it was not that long ago that people thought the earth was flat and you would have been laughed at for thinking otherwise. Dogs have a range of hearing that is beyond us humans but we dont deny that dogs can hear things we cant. Before anyone has a go I am not defending anyone in this post. Both "sides" are correct.

It is well known that human beings can only register an experience of something that happens to them if they have something to compare it to. If you have not seen something before and have nothing to register it against then in effect you CANNOT see it or hear it. So METALATTAK would be correctly stating there is no afterlife if he/she has never had any encounter with anything that would be termed supernatural or otherworldly. However that would only be THEIR truth as their life experience is completely different to everyone elses.

That is also true though for those who have gone to mediums and have had an experience that would prove to them that they have contact with a relative. As these experiences are highly personal for both those who believe and those who dont it is somewhat irrelevant to spend pages and pages attacking each other for something that only the person themselves can state as true !

We are all highly individual with no 2 people on the planet EVER having the same experience of anything. Think of a room full of people for example listening to a concert, EACH person if interviewed would give a slightly different report on things that happened based on their perception of the event, passed experience etc etc.

So in effect both sides of this "argument" will always be true.

Life is a learning experience and we learn based on our past experiences, thats what makes life the journey that it is. Perhaps a wee bit of respect for everyones personal beliefs would be a way to go. If everyone in the world did this then perhaps we as a species would get a long a bit better ?

K

Metalattakk
04-Mar-11, 13:21
Once again I would ask why people can CATEGORICALLY state there is no afterlife or nothing beyond what they perceive as living with such venom?

My crystals told me.

orkneycadian
04-Mar-11, 13:29
Once again I would ask why people can CATEGORICALLY state there is no afterlife or nothing beyond what they perceive as living with such venom?

Maybe something to do with in the middle ages, it was probably believed with near 100% support, in 1951, regulations were introduced to protect the public against Fraudulent mediums, in this day, mediums are controlled by consumer protection regulations that suggest they have to recite a discaimer before starting and advise the punter this is no more than a scientfic experiement or "entertainment", and that kirks are closing left right and centre?

Meanwhile, science advances in leaps and bounds and makes "conventional thinking" harder and harder to justify.

Trajan
04-Mar-11, 15:04
Common sense tells me, not a lot of that on the go these days, anyway you should not be made a fool of for your beliefs, they are pretty harsh on these forums, good luck on what ye are looking for.

RecQuery
04-Mar-11, 17:14
Once again I would ask why people can CATEGORICALLY state there is no afterlife or nothing beyond what they perceive as living with such venom? Each one of us has our own truth, it was not that long ago that people thought the earth was flat and you would have been laughed at for thinking otherwise. Dogs have a range of hearing that is beyond us humans but we dont deny that dogs can hear things we cant. Before anyone has a go I am not defending anyone in this post. Both "sides" are correct.

It is well known that human beings can only register an experience of something that happens to them if they have something to compare it to. If you have not seen something before and have nothing to register it against then in effect you CANNOT see it or hear it. So METALATTAK would be correctly stating there is no afterlife if he/she has never had any encounter with anything that would be termed supernatural or otherworldly. However that would only be THEIR truth as their life experience is completely different to everyone elses.

That is also true though for those who have gone to mediums and have had an experience that would prove to them that they have contact with a relative. As these experiences are highly personal for both those who believe and those who dont it is somewhat irrelevant to spend pages and pages attacking each other for something that only the person themselves can state as true !

We are all highly individual with no 2 people on the planet EVER having the same experience of anything. Think of a room full of people for example listening to a concert, EACH person if interviewed would give a slightly different report on things that happened based on their perception of the event, passed experience etc etc.

So in effect both sides of this "argument" will always be true.

Life is a learning experience and we learn based on our past experiences, thats what makes life the journey that it is. Perhaps a wee bit of respect for everyones personal beliefs would be a way to go. If everyone in the world did this then perhaps we as a species would get a long a bit better ?

K

*Sigh* BS postmodern relativism. No I will not respect peoples stupid beliefs. BTW that thinking the earth is flat thing is a misconception as far back as Ancient Greece and further people knew better.

Both sides are not correct, the truth is not democratic as I have said before. It doesn't care about your feelings or your stupid little grigri, whatever it may be.

Also your asking us to prove a negative, that is prove something doesn't exist. Check that tea pot link in my last post.

There are tons of documented psychological stuff for why people think mediums are successful. There's a reason the TV ones make people sign 50 page NDAs and record the audience and record 8 hour shows edited down to 1 hour.

Now why am I being so harsh and confrontational about this stuff, because it holds us back. For too long people of science and reason have just gone along with these stupid things assuming people are harmless. Now look at the state things are in: homoeopathy, brain gym et al - I say no more.

redeyedtreefrog
04-Mar-11, 17:43
Psychics make me cross. They are without exception either greedy scam artists or incredibly deluded individuals. You show me ONE controlled, published and peer-reviewed study that shows a shred of evidence for ANYTHING psychics claim to be able to do.

http://craphound.com/images/joe_power.jpeg

Kells
04-Mar-11, 19:26
*Sigh* BS postmodern relativism. No I will not respect peoples stupid beliefs. BTW that thinking the earth is flat thing is a misconception as far back as Ancient Greece and further people knew better.

Both sides are not correct, the truth is not democratic as I have said before. It doesn't care about your feelings or your stupid little grigri, whatever it may be.

Also your asking us to prove a negative, that is prove something doesn't exist. Check that tea pot link in my last post.

There are tons of documented psychological stuff for why people think mediums are successful. There's a reason the TV ones make people sign 50 page NDAs and record the audience and record 8 hour shows edited down to 1 hour.

Now why am I being so harsh and confrontational about this stuff, because it holds us back. For two long people of science and reason have just gone along with these stupid things assuming people are harmless, thinking that they're harmless. Now look at the state things are in: homoeopathy, brain gym et al - I say no more.

How would you define BS postmodern relativism.

Vistravi
04-Mar-11, 19:53

Now why am I being so harsh and confrontational about this stuff, because it holds us back. For two long people of science and reason have just gone along with these stupid things assuming people are harmless, thinking that they're harmless. Now look at the state things are in: homoeopathy, brain gym et al - I say no more.

Answer me one question would you be like being told your beliefs are stupid?

I am a spiritualist and i have had personal experience that has convinced me that for me its true and this has made my belief strong. My personal experiences could not have been imaginary.

But i when i speak to a medium i am wary and don't give anything away. The one i have seen could never have known what she did unless she truly has the gift.

Spiritualism is just like any other religion and for the people who believe in it, brings comfort.

Would you belittle someone who believed what you believe?

Just because you think spiritalism is stupid it doesn't mean that others do.

secrets in symmetry
04-Mar-11, 23:59
On another thread, we have been asked to reply to the questions asked by the thread creator. Here is my attempt to do that.

Does anyone know the number or website of the psychic in reay....if they still do readings that is?? Thanks.There is no such thing as a psychic. Therefore there are no psychics in Reay. So there is no answer to your question.

RecQuery
05-Mar-11, 00:01
Answer me one question would you be like being told your beliefs are stupid?

I am a spiritualist and i have had personal experience that has convinced me that for me its true and this has made my belief strong. My personal experiences could not have been imaginary.

But i when i speak to a medium i am wary and don't give anything away. The one i have seen could never have known what she did unless she truly has the gift.

Spiritualism is just like any other religion and for the people who believe in it, brings comfort.

Would you belittle someone who believed what you believe?

Just because you think spiritalism is stupid it doesn't mean that others do.

Let me begin by saying that there are certain proper tests and experiments which if passed would convince me and others of paranormal or spiritual activity... but none of them ever have been. If any of this were real then the person who proved it as such would be set for life, but it isn't. Why don't these psychics play the lottery, even if they don't need the money they could donate it to charity. Amazing how every other skill or ability can be refined and controlled but not this, they can't control it, it's the will of the spirits ad infinitum. BTW I give no special consideration to religion I think it's stupid also, it's just a stupid thing a critical number of people happen to believe.

Let me draw a parallel say someone believed in Santa, like really believed, insisted they got gifts from him, or say they believed and insisted that characters from a TV show were real regardless of the evidence... What's the harm? you say as long as it brings people comfort. Well drugs bring people comfort too, but that sort of comfort is frowned upon.

There is nothing which I know to be true right now that I couldn't renounce next week provided the proper body of evidence and studies was provided.

Your own experiences I can't really speak for but to urge you to reconsider them. It could be any number of psychological or sociological tricks: cold/warming reading, leading questions, prior research, reciprocity, the rule of three (three times more likely to ignore a mistake and exaggerate something remotely true), cult of personality, local knowledge etc.

As I've said I have no particular desire or take no joy in ripping apart peoples fantasies but when it starts to influence society as a whole or diminish actual truth then I take some offence and I think the reason it's so bad right now is that people have been doing the same - ignoring peoples crazy beliefs and ideas as harmless - since the 1900s. Harry Houdini and various others debunked a lot of this stuff but it started making a big resurgence in the 1960s

Sometimes I feel like the only sober person in a car full of drunk people who refuse to pull over and let me drive.

The Music Monster
05-Mar-11, 00:22
Ok, folks, step down from this one. No one is asking you to believe in psychics, or even any other form of spirituality, but if you don't then this is not a thread you should be writing on. The original poster was not asking for views on psychics but information about one. If you want a gripe about this - which many of you seem to - start a new thread instead of hijacking someone else's.

rob1
05-Mar-11, 00:50
The original poster was not asking for views on psychics but information about one.

And some people are replying with information that these so called 'psychics' are charlatans! To top it off people are advising others in the county to stay away from these frauds. Sounds like good advice and you get to save a few bob while you're at it.

domino
05-Mar-11, 00:50
Some people talk to the dead others believe in fairies, crystals and many other things. So What!! live and let live for goodness sake. You just never know the moment!!

secrets in symmetry
05-Mar-11, 01:59
Some people talk to the dead others believe in fairies, crystals and many other things. Indeed. We have a Wick Community Councillor who believes in fairy magic and a poster on this thread who sells crystal healing. Now fairy magic may be hard to disprove, but you would have to be educationally deprived or totally deranged to believe that crystals have healing powers. Why isn't the sale of crystal healing subject to the same regulation that other forms of outrageously disingenuous quackery have to adhere to? If the spivs that claim psychic powers are being brought to heel, why doesn't this new regulation also apply to charlatans that waft crystals under your nose in exchange for your hard earned cash?

squidge
05-Mar-11, 02:35
What a lot of rude postings we have here. People do what they need to do to get through their lives and deal with the rubbish we get dealt sometimes. Why does that annoy others so much. Someone says it holds people back.... Back from what ? How do you KNOW it holds people back. You posters who are so anti this stuff will have your own ways of dealing with your own rubbish, they might seem odd to someone else but no one has a right to either criticise or demean you for whatever it is you do.

People do what they need to do. That's all.

oldmarine
05-Mar-11, 03:55
Psychics make me cross. They are without exception either greedy scam artists or incredibly deluded individuals. You show me ONE controlled, published and peer-reviewed study that shows a shred of evidence for ANYTHING psychics claim to be able to do.

http://craphound.com/images/joe_power.jpeg

I've never been to a psychic so don't know anything about them. But this thread has given me a large laugh with the comments.

orkneycadian
05-Mar-11, 10:30
The general section on here is quite awash with warnings to fellow posters not to get conned in this scam or that scam, whether it be someone phoning up offering to sort the viruses on your computer, the Nigerian widow looking for a safe haven for her late husbands millions or even the local shop who dares charge a bit more for their goods than the online retailer.

My OH went to a clairvoyant the other night. :roll: Well, its her money and she can waste it how she pleases! She came back saying it was the biggest load of bruck she had ever heard (no surprise there then...) and that this clairvoyant was so far off track all the time that she (OH) took all her time to not burst out laughing continuously. Personally, if I want to pay money for a laugh, I would rather pay my £15 to go and see a stand up comic on stage, as at least I know then what I am paying for. But she paid wasted her hard earned £15 on probably a much shorter laugh than you would get at a stand up comedy show. Her choice.

What I find odd is that if there are accredited mediums, psychics, clairvoyants, whatever you want to call them (cue someone pointing out that each are very different....) that are so accurate, there is an afterlife, and its perfectly feasible to, in exchange for cash, find out that dearly departed uncle Frank still enjoys his stamp collection and has been reunited with his beloved Rover, then why accredited psychics are not the first port of call in murder investigations?

I am sure it has been done / tried / come up with some result through co-incidence, but in a murder investigation, surely the best person to be interviewing would be the deceased themselves? If anyone in the afterlife wanted to get back in touch, then someone who has just been murdered would surely have some things to say? I am pretty sure I would be quite cheesed off having just been murdered and keen to get back in touch with the world as we know it and let them know that it was Professor Plum, in the conservatory with the (non-Tesco) dagger that did it. I would even have thought that God himself would have been keen to facilitate such a communication, given that one of his flock was dead, and that at least another one of his flock had broken the 6th commandment? Surely that would elicit a priority pass to the phone box by the pearly gates?

But yet, with all these "guarantees" and money that crosses palms, modern murder investigations still rely on traditional detective techniques, brought up to date with things like DNA profiling, CCTV camera footage, mobile phone / internet records and the like. Why don't we make the investigation much simpler and simply asked the deceased what happened to them?

Vistravi
05-Mar-11, 11:00
Your own own experiences I can't really speak for but to urge you to reconsider them. It could be any number of psychological or sociological tricks: cold/warming reading, leading questions, prior research, reciprocity, the rule of three (three times more likely to ignore a mistake and exaggerate something remotely true), cult of personality, local knowledge etc..

My own experiences can not be ignored. The one that really made me believe i can't say as its too personal but i do have some on a regular basis as my house is haunted. One is a lovely old lady who comes by and says hello every so often. She has such a nice buzzing atsomphere. I also have a man who paces our room and hallway upstairs and is a general pain in the ass. When my partner works nights this man will come downstairs and try and stare me down. I don't get a good vibe of him and don't like having him in my house. But he's here and doesn't seem to want to leave. Perhaps he enjoys making me feel uneasy.

I couldn't prove scientifically that these spirits are really there but i know they are as i am sensitive to spirits and can pin point exactly where they are. There are times when i wish i could not.

So my experiences are based on what i feel around me and what has happened a few months back not cold readings or what people have told me. I believe because of what i have expereinced myself and this makes my belief strong. Of the experience that really made me believe in what i believe there is no way that was imaginaery as there are too many variables to consider.

But at the end of the day people believe what they do and if they truly believe then they can not be wavered from it.

Vistravi
05-Mar-11, 11:04
What a lot of rude postings we have here. People do what they need to do to get through their lives and deal with the rubbish we get dealt sometimes. Why does that annoy others so much. Someone says it holds people back.... Back from what ? How do you KNOW it holds people back. You posters who are so anti this stuff will have your own ways of dealing with your own rubbish, they might seem odd to someone else but no one has a right to either criticise or demean you for whatever it is you do.

People do what they need to do. That's all.

Very true squidge

orkneycadian
05-Mar-11, 11:27
..... i do have some on a regular basis as my house is haunted.

I think ours is haunted too. I have heard all sorts of funny noises in the night, particulalry after watching Paranormal Activity 1 (Looking forward to seeing Paranormal Activity 2)

Our ghosts dont show their faces, but just wreak a bit of havoc and make disturbing noises in the night. One night, they ripped a couple of slates off the roof and flung them down outside, making a lot of clattering. What ghosts were doing out on such a windy night, I'll never know..... Another night, they tipped over a bag of sticks for the fire I had left leaning up against the wall in the lobby. What a din they made at 2am! On yet another night, they pulled a shower basket off the wall in the shower (one of these ones stuck on with a rubber sucker) and let the basket and all its contents clatter into the shower tray. Just for devilment!

The most annoying ghost though is the one that makes random creaking sounds out in the lobby early in the morning. I think that ones a cold bitten ghost, as it always waits until the heating has come on until it makes its presence known. ;)

Loganberry
05-Mar-11, 12:01
Oh how sad it is how small minded some people are - 'we' are so arrogant that 'we' believe there is nothing more than what we can see and seem so offended to let people believe and take comfort in what they please, that we feel the need to attempt to degrade and humiliate people publicly. So who is it really that is ignorant? Who is anyone to 'URGE' someone they do not even know to alter their beliefs to their own? I would not appreciate someone stuffing their religion or beliefs down my throat as I have my own mind and can make it up as I please.

I particularly enjoyed the comment about it 'holding us back'. Of course, THAT must be the reason we are being held back as a society. Nothing to do with the fact that we are greedy, racist, segregated by our religious beliefs which cause us to kill and create wars, or the fact that we are so materialistic that we are destroying the very planet that we live on.

Yes, there have been and still are charlatans - why though, would anyone feel so strongly as to paint everyone with the same brush? I can see both sides and there are charlatans in every walk of life - taking me back to the point of us being greedy!

I can't help but feel sorry for those ignorant, small minded people who will have their eyes opened when they can no longer submit their stunted views to forums like this.

golach
05-Mar-11, 12:05
Now Loganberry, thats what I would call a rant, a good one, just wish I could understand what you were on about [disgust]

Loganberry
05-Mar-11, 12:09
LOL golach - me too, me too ;)

Colin Manson
05-Mar-11, 12:15
Ok, folks, step down from this one. No one is asking you to believe in psychics, or even any other form of spirituality, but if you don't then this is not a thread you should be writing on. The original poster was not asking for views on psychics but information about one. If you want a gripe about this - which many of you seem to - start a new thread instead of hijacking someone else's.

Agreed and as such anyone who is not answering the question is dragging the post OT and some posts could also be considered as Trolling.

Vistravi
05-Mar-11, 13:12
Does anyone know the number or website of the psychic in reay....if they still do readings that is?? Thanks.

I've not heard of him/her but if you get a phone number for him/her can you pass it on to me? Like to try him/her out.

Corrie 3
05-Mar-11, 13:26
Now Loganberry, thats what I would call a rant, a good one, just wish I could understand what you were on about [disgust]
I'm staying out of this thread.......its too heavy for me !!!

C3.....[lol][lol]

Gizmo
05-Mar-11, 15:37
It baffels me that in this day and age, with all that science has proven about the origins of life on this planet, that anyone could still believe in such nonsense.

orkneycadian
05-Mar-11, 16:19
I've not heard of him/her but if you get a phone number for him/her can you pass it on to me? Like to try him/her out.

What a load of postings would be saved if this psychic put their contact details in the business section, like the other 2 do. A search of this site for "psychic" returns 2 promoting their services in the business section, and a wide range of threads that invariably start off with someone asking for contact details, followed by discussions on the merits of psychics, mediums and clairvoyants. Whilst discussing such subjects is an enjoyable pastime, I cant help think that those who just want a phone number, not a discussion, would be served an awful lot better if the phone number they were after were there for the taking in the business section?

Vistravi
05-Mar-11, 19:54
What a load of postings would be saved if this psychic put their contact details in the business section, like the other 2 do. A search of this site for "psychic" returns 2 promoting their services in the business section, and a wide range of threads that invariably start off with someone asking for contact details, followed by discussions on the merits of psychics, mediums and clairvoyants. Whilst discussing such subjects is an enjoyable pastime, I cant help think that those who just want a phone number, not a discussion, would be served an awful lot better if the phone number they were after were there for the taking in the business section?

I have to agree with you on this. It would save alot of time if this was the case.

onecalledk
05-Mar-11, 20:48
It baffels me that in this day and age, with all that science has proven about the origins of life on this planet, that anyone could still believe in such nonsense.

are you saying that something cannot be proven with some scientist saying "Ok thats fine, thats real"?????????? what if science is playing catch up?

K

Greenland
06-Mar-11, 10:54
I am not the reay psychic but I have been able to connect with spirits since I was a child. I don't do this very much as it's not something I want to do very often as I don't know enough about what I'm doing. It's an ability I just have and it's a bit overwhelming really so I don't do it. I also speak with angels and to God. Am I deluded? Would you ask a minister who prays if they were? If someone has faith then that's a wonderful gift. I do not practice as a psychic and I do not ask for messages. I have advised/ supported people at times if I was able to and I have given free angelic healinga few times to calm people. I trained as a reiki healer but this was out of personal interest. I have been to psychic healers and know 3 accurate people in the uk who became friends. This was so I could discuss my experiences with other psychic people. I think anyone can open their minds/ hearts to spiritual/ religious energy/ experiences if they choose to and there are lots of ways and religious beliefs. I am very interested in buddism but I live my life as close to God as I can. I do not attend church but I pray and meditate every day. I have been through alot of difficult experiences and my faith has been there to help my keep walking on and trying my best every day. That's all we can do I think. I am writing a spiritual book to put in writing some of my experiences with angels but it's fiction as I think most people would not believe what I have to say and it's easier to write as fiction.

Greenland
06-Mar-11, 11:56
Wanted to add that I am guided by angels/ god, not spirits as I personally find communicating with spirits is overwhelming for many reasons. God's energy is different. I don't feel that asking for lottery numbers or solving crimes is following God's path for me. I'm not trying to feed the poor, that's not my in my little league. Things happen for a reason and happen to show us God's love if we try to learn from our experiences however awful they are. Please don't rant at me. I'm speaking from my heart. I don't think I know best I just know what I have experienced and I'm a normal sane person. It's not easy putting your heart out there and I normally don't talk about my faith very much. Thank goodness I live in a country where I can have a voice as a woman.:)

Gizmo
06-Mar-11, 14:44
are you saying that something cannot be proven with some scientist saying "Ok thats fine, thats real"?????????? what if science is playing catch up?

K

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to ask me there.

RecQuery
06-Mar-11, 18:32
I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to ask me there.

I was going to reply to that myself, but I couldn't find a central point or premise to refute. I think it's an "Imagination is better than fact or reason." reason screech. Also seems like a variation on the proving a negative thing"

Gizmo
06-Mar-11, 18:49
I was going to reply to that myself, but I couldn't find a central point or premise to refute. I think it's an "Imagination is better than fact or reason." reason screech. Also seems like a variation on the proving a negative thing"

Glad it wasn't just me then :)

onecalledk
06-Mar-11, 21:22
ok so perhaps it wasnt as clear as I thought it was when I typed it ......

my question is

do you only believe what science can prove ?

and if yes

then why?

and whats with the trying to prove a negative stuff? If something cannot be proven to be true it doesnt mean its false......

At the end of the day there is NO definitive answer. If people want to hide behind science, then thats fine, but science is only now beginning to prove what others have known as truth for a very long time. I still IMHO think it very egotistical to state that since a man in a white coat in a lab hasnt given the ok to it , it isnt real !

Reality is created by thought. has anyone watched What the bleep do we know? a fascinating documentary that looks at how thoughts create our reality ........

K

Gizmo
06-Mar-11, 22:54

my question is

Well, it's a pretty good place to start. It's given answers to the origins of the universe, how planets are formed etc etc. An invisible man in the sky did NOT create the earth and everything on it in 6 days. We know how it was created, and how it's going to die. I don't honestly know why i'm bothering replying to you, no offence intended, but iv'e just had a look at what you do for a living. So getting involved in a discussion about the merits of Psychic abilities is completely pointless.

If people want to hide behind science, then thats fine

There is absolutely no need to hide behind science, it's gives us answers. To believe in an afterlife, and the ability to connect with the deceased, you have to believe that everything in this universe was created by some supreme deity. And scientific fact! has destroyed the foundations of all religions. You can believe whatever you want, and i'll stick with reality.

theone
06-Mar-11, 23:39
I also speak with angels and to God. Am I deluded?

Do us all a favour.

The next time you're speaking to the big man, ask him which religion is right. Because they can't all be.

Let's set it straight, once and for all.

secrets in symmetry
07-Mar-11, 00:07
Reality is created by thought. has anyone watched What the bleep do we know? a fascinating documentary that looks at how thoughts create our reality ........ Can you tell me how to create my own Universe? Can I do it with my thoughts alone, or do I need dark matter, dark energy and an even darker megalomania?

RecQuery
07-Mar-11, 00:40
ok so perhaps it wasnt as clear as I thought it was when I
and whats with the trying to prove a negative stuff? If something cannot be proven to be true it doesnt mean its false......

Prove there's not a pink unicorn orbiting the planet or that I'm not Thor or that Churchill and Gandi weren't the same person.

At the end of the day there is NO definitive answer. If people want to hide behind science, then thats fine, but science is only now beginning to prove what others have known as truth for a very long time. I still IMHO think it very egotistical to state that since a man in a white coat in a lab hasnt given the ok to it , it isnt real !

Reality is created by thought. has anyone watched What the bleep do we know? a fascinating documentary that looks at how thoughts create our reality ........

Standard postmodern relativism; all opinions are not equally valid. I would rank the opinion of a doctor higher on a medical issue that I would rank the opinion of an historian for example. One could think they could survive an explosion, that doesn't mean they can. See my extreme example regarding women and black people in my first post.

If you've got examples of 'but science is only now beginning to prove what others have known as truth for a very long time.' BTW you have a skewered version of science - if anyone else thinks that's what science is there a few books I'd recommend. Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a good start.

I suppose if people want to hide behind ignorance, superstition and the paranormal then no matter how reasoned the argument or how large the body of evidence then nothing will change their minds.

EDIT: Just a remark in general and no direct at you, but I often think that people who are opposed to science shouldn't be allowed to benefit from it's advances, though that's probably undoable.

onecalledk
07-Mar-11, 01:01
Well, it's a pretty good place to start. It's given answers to the origins of the universe, how planets are formed etc etc. An invisible man in the sky did NOT create the earth and everything on it in 6 days. We know how it was created, and how it's going to die. I don't honestly know why i'm bothering replying to you, no offence intended, but iv'e just had a look at what you do for a living. So getting involved in a discussion about the merits of Psychic abilities is completely pointless.

There is absolutely no need to hide behind science, it's gives us answers. To believe in an afterlife, and the ability to connect with the deceased, you have to believe that everything in this universe was created by some supreme deity. And scientific fact! has destroyed the foundations of all religions. You can believe whatever you want, and i'll stick with reality.

I am a crystal therapist , that is what I do and what countless others do across the world. To be able to do this does not involve believing in ANY religion, I dont claim to follow a religion, I have never said I do. Not sure about why I cant be involved in a discssion about connections to the deceased either, at no point did I say that I do either and nowhere is it written that using crystals makes you able to connect to the deceased!

I personally believe that if religion was dismissed by the whole planet tomorrow then it would solve a hell of a lot of wars, there are more people killed in this world over "my god is better than yours" than probably anything else.

Medical opinion is subjective, your diagnosis is as good as the doctor who sits before you. Medical science does not have all the answers or we would all be walking about in tip top shape and living for hundreds of years.

Science does give us answers but sometimes it gets it wrong. I dispute that to believe in an after life you have to believe in god....... heaven is a creation of the bible, which was created to control the masses. One little book can be interpreted whatever way you wish and is done by lots of those who preach. I believe there is another thread trying to work out who god is ...

We live in a universe of millions of planets and stars and people still believe that we are alone in the universe and when we die thats it? all I am saying is that perhaps this is wrong. I cant prove either way, no one can , this can be debated forever and ever.
What i take exception to is people who try to shout down those who have differing beliefs and make out they DO have the answers.....

This thread does go to show the ability of the human mind to prove itself right at all costs though doesnt it ......

K

Gizmo
07-Mar-11, 01:26
I am a crystal therapist , that is what I do and what countless others do across the world. To be able to do this does not involve believing in ANY religion, I dont claim to follow a religion, I have never said I do. Not sure about why I cant be involved in a discssion about connections to the deceased either, at no point did I say that I do either and nowhere is it written that using crystals makes you able to connect to the deceased!

K

I never said you couldn't be involved, i only questioned why i would get involved in a discussion about Psychic abilities and contacting the deceased with someone who believes that crystals can heal you. If you believe that, then you'll obviously believe anything. I never implied it had anything to do with religion. Crystal healing is something else that there is no scientific proof for. As previously, you can believe what you like, and i'll stick with trusting scientific fact, not fairytale nonsense.

RecQuery
07-Mar-11, 08:58
Crystal healing does do something, but it's no better than placebo... anyway that's a different topic all together.

Wanting all the answers right away seems childish to me, making up cute little stories to explain things is childish.

Science doesn't have all the answers yet, because that it's a large task. Science operates under strict guidelines because the scientific method is reliable and efficient for producing accurate results.

Of course the scientific method has its limitations. Of course science doesn’t have all the answers. And, of course, it never will. But it is the only way we will ever know anything. And we do know some things and we know that some ideas are incompatible with the things we do know. And when such ideas are really too stupid to be worth a considered response, the best response is often ridicule.

This thread does go to show the ability of the human mind to prove itself right at all costs though doesnt it ......
K

Also really you're lecturing us on rationalising without the least hint of irony. If crystal healing works, then why don't you claim the James Randi prize (http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html). There is nothing I won't change my mind about provided the appropriate proof and body of evidence are provided.

northener
07-Mar-11, 09:12

my question is

and if yes

then why?

K

I'd be careful about using the old "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" line...it's a double-edged sword....

Greenland
08-Mar-11, 21:08
Do us all a favour.

The next time you're speaking to the big man, ask him which religion is right. Because they can't all be.

Let's set it straight, once and for all.

God is a man? Religion is created by people. Read Neale Walsch books for some intereting thoughts on organised religion and try to be less rude, you may not have spoken to God but others have, you should try it and maybe you would be more repectful of others experiences.

DeHaviLand
08-Mar-11, 21:34
God is a man? Religion is created by people. Read Neale Walsch books for some intereting thoughts on organised religion and try to be less rude, you may not have spoken to God but others have, you should try it and maybe you would be more repectful of others experiences.

Oh aye, Neale Walsch, charlatan, conman, plagiarist, preys on the gullible. Wonder just how many millions he's managed to con since 1992?

theone
08-Mar-11, 21:41

Maybe he's not a man, but I assume he looks like one, as Adam was made in his image. That said, Adam might have been quite feminine?

You're right, I haven't spoken to God. You say you do.

So all I'm asking is for you to find out for us all which religion God wants us to follow. Which one gives him his manna? Surely you could squeeze that into your conversation with him?

I'd hate to waste my time worshiping Zeus when I should be praising Ra.

Greenland
09-Mar-11, 11:32
Oh aye, Neale Walsch, charlatan, conman, plagiarist, preys on the gullible. Wonder just how many millions he's managed to con since 1992?
What horrible thoughts you choose to put out out into the world about others.
How sad.

Greenland
09-Mar-11, 11:34
Maybe he's not a man, but I assume he looks like one, as Adam was made in his image. That said, Adam might have been quite feminine?

You're right, I haven't spoken to God. You say you do.

So all I'm asking is for you to find out for us all which religion God wants us to follow. Which one gives him his manna? Surely you could squeeze that into your conversation with him?

I'd hate to waste my time worshiping Zeus when I should be praising Ra.

Why don't you ask yourself?:)

theone
09-Mar-11, 13:27
Why don't you ask yourself?:)

Because I don't make claims of having conversations with god or angels.

You do.

Do you only speak to one god, or are there more? If you could even just answer me that question it would help.

Gizmo
09-Mar-11, 13:33

Why can't you stop side-stepping the question that 'theone' asked you?

rob1
09-Mar-11, 15:23
Why can't you stop side-stepping the question that 'theone' asked you?

Well thats an easy one to answer. Whenever those who believe in god or psychos sorry I mean psychics (damn my dyslexia!) are asked a question on their beliefs that they either don't know the answer to or the answer could be seen as hypocrytical, then either you get the side-stepping as demonstrated here or you get 'its god' or some variation.

Greenland
09-Mar-11, 17:39
Why don't you try, anyone can I imagine. I shared my experience so that other people might share theirs about being psychic and spiritual experiences. Why do you say I make a claim? What is so odd to you, people talk to God everyday. I ony speak to one God but there may be many as part of the one. I haven't asked lots of questions like Neale Walsch, it's more of a meditation for me. That's all I can tell you.

Greenland
10-Mar-11, 10:39
Well thats an easy one to answer. Whenever those who believe in god or psychos sorry I mean psychics (damn my dyslexia!) are asked a question on their beliefs that they either don't know the answer to or the answer could be seen as hypocrytical, then either you get the side-stepping as demonstrated here or you get 'its god' or some variation.
I wonder how you think it's ok to insult everyone who believes in God and have psychic abilities in one paragraph? That they all side step questions or don't know answers? I can only speak for myself, I wouldn't presume to sweep away the voices of hundreds of thousands of people, and I will answer any question I can if I decide it's asked in a respectful way on here or if I'm talking to someone in the street and they are interested in a discussion and not just trying to put me down or judge me. I'm sure most people respond to a personal question in the same way.

rob1
10-Mar-11, 11:47
I wonder how you think it's ok to insult everyone who believes in God and have psychic abilities in one paragraph? That they all side step questions or don't know answers? I can only speak for myself, I wouldn't presume to sweep away the voices of hundreds of thousands of people, and I will answer any question I can if I decide it's asked in a respectful way on here or if I'm talking to someone in the street and they are interested in a discussion and not just trying to put me down or judge me. I'm sure most people respond to a personal question in the same way.

It was not my intension to insult everyone who believes in god. I only intended to take the Michael out of those that claim to have psychic abilities. The rest of my comment was not meant to be an insult but is taken from personal experience. On many occasions when I have encountered those who are very open about their beliefs and have been asked a perfectly legitimate question that they end up not knowing the answer to, instead of saying they don't know, there in many cases is a feeble attempt to conjure up a reply either by side-stepping or 'god did it'.

To me religion is quite frankly a bizarre concept especially for the 21st century but it should be a personal matter and if someone chooses to speak about their faith publicly then they must accept that they will get questions that are aimed at testing their argument.

Greenland
10-Mar-11, 15:38
It was not my intension to insult everyone who believes in god. I only intended to take the Michael out of those that claim to have psychic abilities. The rest of my comment was not meant to be an insult but is taken from personal experience. On many occasions when I have encountered those who are very open about their beliefs and have been asked a perfectly legitimate question that they end up not knowing the answer to, instead of saying they don't know, there in many cases is a feeble attempt to conjure up a reply either by side-stepping or 'god did it'.

To me religion is quite frankly a bizarre concept especially for the 21st century but it should be a personal matter and if someone chooses to speak about their faith publicly then they must accept that they will get questions that are aimed at testing their argument.
I do not follow any religion. Can I ask why people feel the need to test other people's faith and insult them? I have been called a hypocrite and deluded on the 'who is God' thread. What is this hostility all about? Because i have shared that I have had spiritual experiences I now have to prove or defend this? Why?
I'm not out to deny anyone else's faith or say that their faith is wrong so what's going on? I understand questions and interest and that some people do not believe me because they have not had a simular experience. This does not mean I have not had a spiritual experience and I am to be shot down.

gleeber
10-Mar-11, 15:50
Stop whining for goodness sake.

Greenland
10-Mar-11, 16:09
Stop whining for goodness sake.

Fair enough.