PDA

View Full Version : Strays in Caithness 2011

mop top
01-Mar-11, 23:04
Just an update to let people know the extent of dogs being dumped in Caithness since 1st of January 2011, there have been 19 stray dogs to date - not including the ones that have been returned directly to owners without coming into kennels.

15 of them have not been claimed:~( which in the space of 2 months in such a small area is quite shocking, none of these dogs are ferral! they all came from a house, or were deliberately put out of one, or dumped and have ended up needing new homes through no fault of their own.

Rant over just wanted to make people aware of these figures which average about 2 dogs a week.

unicorn
01-Mar-11, 23:19
Thank god you and your team are all there for them, the cost of a dog does not end at buying and feeding it, more people need to understand that you have the cost of repairs when they damage things, toys, vet bills, most of all your time and patience.

Liz
01-Mar-11, 23:46
Really disgraceful ,and sad, statistics for such a small place.:(

Too many people get a puppy/dog without any research or thought and it is the poor animal which suffers as a result! I wonder how many older dogs are dumped to make way for a new arrival to whom the same thing will happen by time and so the cycle continues.[evil]
Why oh why won't people get their dogs neutered/spayed as well?

It is so good that you and KWK9 are there Moptop to help these dogs but I know how frustrating and stressful it must be for you. How awful to think that they would all be pts if you weren't there.:~(

summer
02-Mar-11, 11:17
I know everybody uses the phrase "needing rehomed through no fault of his own" but it really is true.

They've done nothing to deserve being kicked out on the street like that.

GruesomeTwosome
02-Mar-11, 12:47
I really dont understand how a person can abandon a pet, I just cant grasp what people can be thinking. To me it would be like abandoning a child.

And to make way for a new puppy to me is just mad, I couldnt wait for my wee girl to grow up and be rid of the 5am starts and no cleaning up the wee's and poo's! Are people just plain crazy??

Well done moptop, hats off (as always) to you, it takes a special person to do the job you do.

carasmam
02-Mar-11, 17:05
What amazes me is that it isn't old decrepit, smelly dogs that are being abandoned. I had always imagined it was these dogs that were starting to cost the owners money that were dumped to make way for the bright eyed, cute wee puppy. The amount of young dogs, who have obviously been well treated at some point in there short lives, is shocking. Some of them give paws, sit on command etc A lot of time must have been put into them at some point - then to just open the door and let them go to be picked up as a stray - it just beggars belief !

Liz
02-Mar-11, 19:22
What amazes me is that it isn't old decrepit, smelly dogs that are being abandoned. I had always imagined it was these dogs that were starting to cost the owners money that were dumped to make way for the bright eyed, cute wee puppy. The amount of young dogs, who have obviously been well treated at some point in there short lives, is shocking. Some of them give paws, sit on command etc A lot of time must have been put into them at some point - then to just open the door and let them go to be picked up as a stray - it just beggars belief !

As you say Carasmam it does indeed beggar belief why someone would abandon a young dog who they had taken the trouble to train. With some people the 'novelty' just wears off I'm afraid which, to those of us who love our dogs and they are family members, is beyond comprehension. Also, they might find that they are costing more than they thought or that they don't have as much 'freedom'.

Another factor is that too many people don't get their dogs spayed/neutered ending up with unwanted puppies who they just want 'rid of' and so will just give them to anyone!

I do realise that there are many genuine reasons why people can no longer keep a dog but I would hope that they would go through the correct channels rather than just abandon them.

Commore
02-Mar-11, 19:44
Do ypu believe that people are driving deliberately into Caithness to specifically dump their dog
or are these dogs originating from Caithness?

I agree, it is quite deplorable for such a high number of strays in any one county, but these numbers are considerably higher as you get near the towns and
cities,
a lot of people think that this is all down the recession, but I disagree with that notion in as much as nearly every centre has a great number of dogs in their centres at any given time.
how would "one" go about changing the attitude of a nation whose people believe the life of a dog worthless?

mop top
02-Mar-11, 20:40
Hi Commore

I often wonder where they have come from, sometimes i have a good idea but i often wish they could speak for just 5 mins and tell me their story. People dont realise how disturbing just being abandonded can be for an animal, we have nothing to go on for eg a name, would just make all the difference to the dog feeling a wee bit more secure. Dogs are amazingly resillient though and respond well to just regular food, walks and a bit of TLC.

I often tell them when they arrive at the kennels all scared and hungry "this is the first day of the rest of your life", and thanks to all the kind people out there who open their homes and hearts to a rescue dog either by fostering or adopting, it is really the start of their new lives.

caithgal
02-Mar-11, 21:08
First time i went to Balmore it broke my heart. But the job you guys do is just exceptional. God knows what happened before it was there. Well done to you all. Just wish i could help more x

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 21:16
Mop top is the dog warden.
Balmore is the SSPCA.
Both different, but, both doing exellent work re homing unwanted and abandoned animals.

caithgal
02-Mar-11, 21:40
Ahhhhh well both jobs are fantastic x

sweetpea
03-Mar-11, 14:50
Moptop, im nearly greetin here reading about the number of dogs being abandoned, and I bet you do have a good idea where some come from and I'm sure it's not the first dog some folk have got rid of either!
I think the novelty does wear off and they get dogs and then they don't get on with their other dogs they have and can't be bothered putting the time in with them. Also with the number of puppies some folk have, everyone in the family gets one without thinking of the commitment and then get fed up with the poor souls and they get passed from pillar to post as well.