PDA

View Full Version : Armed forces set out plans for first redundancies

bekisman
01-Mar-11, 19:39
I see the first lot of redundancies in the Armed Forces are being planned *

I can understand that maybe cuts have to be made, BUT in the climate of world uncertainty, seems a tad stupid..

Additionally with fewer - for example - Squaddies - to undertake tours of duty in Afghan, obviously means shorter time between tours. A lot of married folks in the Army, getting jarred off with too many stints, coming around too soon, will stick in their notices. Result; less squaddies for other theatres; simples..

The Forces have not changed, man-management is still crap. Me, I had served 9 of my 15 years in Germany and was informed by Army Records that I could have a posting of my choice in UK.. Well I was in the process of going through a divorce, and requested a posting to a unit that was based in UK and did not go outside of the country.. I was notified by Regiment this was fine. What happened? I was notified by Records, nope, you're off to an Airfield Construction unit that's in Canada, comes back in a month then off to Africa for another 9 months.. What prats these are.. So I put in my Notice and purchased my discharge.. (This was 1977)..

Zoom forward to 2003 My eldest son was in the Army and had completed his time.. Goes off to Canada, arranges to get married, everything finalised... what happens? although he's out of the army, he is still called back from Canada and ordered out to Iraq (still on reserve you see).. so Wedding knackered..

Again zoom onto 2011. Middle son in Germany, getting remarried on 9th July...All details arranged. Army says, nope, you're off to Iraq.. he whines a bit.. Ok they say, you can go to Gibraltar instead, but that does not end till beginning of August - so another wedding knackered.. Man-management? nah they ain't got a bloody clue (and that's just 'our lot' over 30 odd years..) [evil]
The Ministry of Defence says the first wave of redundancies in the armed forces will be made in September. The MoD must make 11,000 job cuts and the RAF is the first service to set out where its share of 2,700 will begin. Those on operations in Afghanistan in September will be exempt, but troops due back in April could lose their jobs, it has been announced.
A review has found that, after natural wastage, a total of 11,000 redundancies will have to be made in three or four tranches.
The RAF is the first service to set out details of its plans, with the first 1,020 jobs due to go in September.
Up to 170 trainee pilots will be made redundant, although the RAF says no qualified pilots will be affected. Another 100 posts will go from the Weapons System Officers Branch, 100 from the Weapons System Operator Trade, along with 529 ground staff.Two Tornado squadrons will be disbanded - 14 Squadron based at Lossiemouth in Moray, and XIII Squadron from Marham in Norfolk.
Their personnel will not automatically be made redundant. In the short term they will be found other jobs, probably in different locations.
"We did not take any of these decisions lightly," he said, "and they will have a difficult impact on the people involved in the RAF, the Navy and the Army and their families, and we will do everything we can to help them. But it is right to make the decision."
In September, servicemen and women who are on operations - or in training to be deployed, or recovering from a mission - will not face compulsory redundancy.
However, those currently serving in Afghanistan and due to return home in April will be considered.
Mr Murphy added: "It's remarkable that in the week when the prime minister and the government are talking about a no-fly zone over Libya, amid all the turmoil that's happening there, they now turn their attention to our own RAF and sack so many trainee pilots."
The Army is looking to cut 5,000 jobs and the Royal Navy 3,300. They will set out their fields for redundancy on 4 April.

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12609173

Commore
01-Mar-11, 20:26
Quote "I can understand that maybe cuts have to be made, BUT in the climate of world uncertainty, seems a tad stupid.."

With you there!
I think myself that this government and those responsible for any such redundancies in our armed forces may just live long enough to regret it,
if a country needs anything, it has to be it's ability to protect itself,

We are nothing without that ability, I wonder what Churchill would think?

Phill
01-Mar-11, 21:40
...... it has to be it's ability to protect itselfProtecting the UK is one thing. But its looking very likely we'll be dragged into another US oil pillaging scheme regime changing military intervention. With a decimated military, particularly air force, how would we deliver any no fly zones or support for ground operations.

The Drunken Duck
01-Mar-11, 22:32
Protecting the UK is one thing. But its looking very likely we'll be dragged into another US oil pillaging scheme regime changing military intervention. With a decimated military, particularly air force, how would we deliver any no fly zones or support for ground operations.

We can do it, maybe, but it means the cupboard is bare if we do, our defences are supposed to be able to cope with two conflicts at once. Liam Fox seemed quite chuffed about the efforts of the recent airlift in Libya. Pity it was done by a C-130 fleet reducing by the day, from a base that will be closed soon and by crews who can read the writing on the wall and are looking to civvy street for future employment. Wouldnt you if your allowances had just been cut by 25% and your pension rules re-written to be worth less ??, C130's are being trailered out of the front gates of Lyneham to be scrapped at the rate of about one a week. And they arent being replaced.

And we cant even protect the UK properly, we need at least five squadrons to defend the airspace of the UK. We have three and a half right now, dropping down to three at the end of the month when the last of the Tornado F3's go to the scrapyard. And even the Tornado GR4 fleet has been cut today by two squadrons, 13 and 14 disband in June. And this is despite the Harrier Force being binned to save the GR4 fleet.

We are at below minimums, right now we dont have enough tankers to trail replacement Typhoons to the Falklands or transport aircraft to get troops there to bolster the ground defences let alone ships to guard the waters should anything happen. We cant protect our interests now. The Government are hoping they will get away with it. Lets hope they are right.

Gronnuck
02-Mar-11, 00:05
It looks very much as if the powers that be want to reduce our defence capability to the point where become totally dependent on Europe (who have supported us so assiduously in the recent past,:confused) or the USA (because we have such a special relationship that we could become the 51st state of the union,:eek:).
Touch wood, fingers crossed nothing too catastrophic happens in the next twenty years!

golach
02-Mar-11, 00:11
Maggie Thatcher and her lot did this in the 80's, mass redundancies for Senior Rates, then the Argies invaded the Falklands, I often wonder how many went to save the Islanders with their redundancy notices in their back pockets and never returned to collect it. [disgust]

sandyr1
02-Mar-11, 00:15
But don't you think that something has to be done.....
The Gov't of most Countries have Over Spent trying to keep everyone happy, and to get re-elected.
It's a sorry State!

golach
02-Mar-11, 00:17
But don't you think that something has to be done.....
The Gov't of most Countries have Over Spent trying to keep everyone happy, and to get re-elected.
It's a sorry State!

Sandy, we over here are a Country, not a State, we have a monarchy[lol]

ducati
02-Mar-11, 00:47
Here is a thought. Why not scrap all the armed forces we have now. Issue all the population with AK47s, you can get them on the internet for about a hundred quid. Pass out some heavy weapons at random (just in case) and Nuke anyone we don't like the look of now. :eek:

sandyr1
02-Mar-11, 01:30
Sandy, we over here are a Country, not a State, we have a monarchy[lol]

Gosh I thought I was being smart with such a Pun!!
Yes we Worship the Queen....Both the Federal and Provincial Gov'ts here are under HM the Queen. Funny coming over here and the RCMP cars were registered to HM the Queen!
And I paid my $12.00 to swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen altho' I was a British Subject(Not a Scottish Subject).....to a person who could not speak English! Go Figure!

sandyr1
02-Mar-11, 01:31
Here is a thought. Why not scrap all the armed forces we have now. Issue all the population with AK47s, you can get them on the internet for about a hundred quid. Pass out some heavy weapons at random (just in case) and Nuke anyone we don't like the look of now. :eek:

Brilliant gun!

Aaldtimer
02-Mar-11, 05:18

Well Ducati, I'm a pretty level headed guy, and a marksman btw, so AK47 wouldn't be a problem, although I'd probably prefer a SLR, or even a 303...but just how do you propose we nuke them without an "armed forces"?:roll:

The Drunken Duck
02-Mar-11, 09:43

So you want to give people who think X Factor is entertainment live weapons .. *gulp* .. not a good plan. Look what happens when you give them soft fruit to be employed as a weapon !! .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfeTZNcA3g

Although the idea has merit if you look at it another way. The inevitable amount of negligent discharges may well thin out the idiot population and leave just the worthwhile citizens to protect.

Commore
02-Mar-11, 12:16
It looks very much as if the powers that be want to reduce our defence capability to the point where become totally dependent on Europe (who have supported us so assiduously in the recent past,:confused) or the USA (because we have such a special relationship that we could become the 51st state of the union,:eek:).
Touch wood, fingers crossed nothing too catastrophic happens in the next twenty years!

God forbid.:)

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 14:54
Look what happens when you give them soft fruit to be employed as a weapon !! .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfeTZNcA3g

[lol]Yay! Classic! Thing is, this melon shooting contraption probably develops more ft.lbs than the piffly air guns that folk get hung up on! Looks like fruit is going to have to get banned too! [lol]

ducati
02-Mar-11, 16:41
[lol]Yay! Classic! Thing is, this melon shooting contraption probably develops more ft.lbs than the piffly air guns that folk get hung up on! Looks like fruit is going to have to get banned too! [lol]

I nearly lost an eye to a grape once :eek:

orkneycadian
02-Mar-11, 16:54
I nearly lost an eye to a grape once :eek:

Damned dangerous things. Assume you are an Aberdeenshire farming loon?

ducati
03-Mar-11, 00:50

Why?:confused

golach
03-Mar-11, 00:55

A grape is a grape in many fermyaird lingo, I was brought up on Caithness and Carse o Gowrie ferms, they were the same