How's this for a new ice cream flavour!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

AliciaMackinnon
01-Mar-11, 21:13
erm... what ever tickels your taste buds i suppose

I love how it can be served with calpol or bonjela lolololol

George Brims
01-Mar-11, 21:56
I think I read yesterday that this has already been shut down.

joxville
01-Mar-11, 21:59
Do they do raspberry nipple flavour? :D

AliciaMackinnon
01-Mar-11, 22:06
Do they do raspberry nipple flavour? :D

Lol that made me laugh!

Very clever!

bekisman
01-Mar-11, 23:33
I think I read yesterday that this has already been shut down.
You're almost right:
Baby Gaga breast milk ice cream seized for safety tests..
Ice cream made from breast milk has been removed from a central London restaurant on health grounds following complaints by members of the public. The dessert, called Baby Gaga, went on sale at ice cream parlour Icecreamists in Covent Garden in February. But Westminster Council officers removed the product to make sure it was "fit for human consumption".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12615353

shazzap
01-Mar-11, 23:37
Who would want a perfect starngers breast milk?? YUK.

trix
01-Mar-11, 23:58
i agree shazz....'ats gross min - yuk!

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 00:14
Whilst breast feeding is a personal choice, and do with it what you will. Freeze it, boil it make it into cheese if you are so inclined.
Consuming some one else produce makes me feel sick. It will be back to the days of wet nurses next.

trix
02-Mar-11, 00:20
whats 'weet nurses'?

eeugh....i da ken if i really want til know...!!

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 00:24
A wet nurse is some one who feeds the baby, who is not the mother Trix.
I don't think woman here in the UK still do.
I believe some mothers in some countries still do this.

trix
02-Mar-11, 00:35
mmhhh...'an, is 'at such a terrible thing??

i mean, it sounds gross...even thinkin aboot breasts wi' milk comin oot them makes me cringe.
but, before all 'e health an' safety or health an' hygene issues came aboot, maybe 'iss widna o' bin seen in such a bad light....or did'ed??? i da ken.

i mind watchin 'the hand that rocked the cradle' an' 'at wis kwite creepy, but years ago maybe best pals didna mind sharin each ithers milk wi' each ithers bairns. ye know.....whoiver gets on first sort o' thing.......!

what if 'e bairns mither's milk wisna available, wid anither womans breast milk still no be better for 'e bairn than bottled milk??

na....its gross, am sorry.

i thot i could go somewhere wi' at.....:roll:

ducati
02-Mar-11, 00:39
mmhhh...'an, is 'at such a terrible thing??

i mean, it sounds gross...even thinkin aboot breasts wi' milk comin oot them makes me cringe.
but, before all 'e health an' safety or health an' hygene issues came aboot, maybe 'iss widna o' bin seen in such a bad light....or did'ed??? i da ken.

i mind watchin 'the hand that rocked the cradle' an' 'at wis kwite creepy, but years ago maybe best pals didna mind sharin each ithers milk wi' each ithers bairns. ye know.....whoiver gets on first sort o' thing.......!

what if 'e bairns mither's milk wisna available, wid anither womans breast milk still no be better for 'e bairn than bottled milk??

na....its gross, am sorry.

i thot i could go somewhere wi' at.....:roll:

Intensive care units for babys appeal all the time for doner milk

trix
02-Mar-11, 00:42
Intensive care units for babys appeal all the time for doner milk

there ye go, see! :D

..........................had on, is 'at even true?????

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 00:48
I have had 5 children. All bottle fed, and healthy. My choice, like you trix i didn't like or want to.

ducati
02-Mar-11, 00:48
there ye go, see! :D

..........................had on, is 'at even true?????

Yes........:Razz

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2010213_appeal_to_help_the_tiniest_of_babies

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 00:54
SCBU do give Doner breast milk, but it is sterilised first. It was stopped some time in the 80s due to the risk of deceases past on to babies.
But it is not the same as a wet nurse feeding your baby directly from her breast. Also it is done to save lives.

trix
02-Mar-11, 00:58
thanks for 'e link :lol:

gee...i guess it cana be 'at bad then, especially if 'e milk wis in guid health...well, 'e mither...ye know.

still tho........

i didna get breastfed, nor did ma little brither. but ma beeg brither did.

eh...is 'at too much information, mam?? :Razz

nightowl
02-Mar-11, 01:19
If the money situation were to get really tight and baby formula milk prices rise steeply would "wet nursing" be a viable alternative for mums who cant manage or just hate the thought of breast feeding?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1144123/As-Salma-Hayek-feeds-strangers-baby-ask-Would-let-woman-breastfeed-child.html

Aaldtimer
02-Mar-11, 05:08
If the money situation were to get really tight and baby formula milk prices rise steeply would "wet nursing" be a viable alternative for mums who cant manage or just hate the thought of breast feeding?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1144123/As-Salma-Hayek-feeds-strangers-baby-ask-Would-let-woman-breastfeed-child.html

Seems to me that neither of your criteria fit this story. It was a spontaneous act of generosity on the actress's impulse.
Wet nurses were common in history to feed the bairns of the upper classes who wouldn't/couldn't provide the service.:(

John Little
02-Mar-11, 08:14
My wife has pointed out that breast milk is for small babies and you should not feed ice cream to small babies so she cannot see the point of it.

brandy
02-Mar-11, 09:04
while natures way is breast. i have no problem with bottle feeding. both of mine were bottle fed, but it was simply because i was unable to feed them.
if they had been born before the invention of formula they would have had to have a wet nurse or not survived.
we tend to forget how lucky we are on the whole advancements side of things.
when it was practically yesterday that we had no modern science.
personally, i dont have a problem with baby gaga ice cream. its not a big deal.. where do you think the milk you drink comes from? a cow or goats boobies..
they just pasteurized it to death first. we are just as much mammals as a cow.. just walk around on two legs and with a bigger brain capacity.

nightowl
02-Mar-11, 09:35
Or maybe a way for breastfeeding mums to supplement their income until they can return to work.

No surprise that the rich and famous in Hollywood are taking advantage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-480407/The-return-wet-nurse.html

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 09:38
Well if it was done to raise the profile of the resturant by hitting the headlines...its worked...nice cheap advertising there.
Sensationalism to gain customers who think they are gastranomic fashionistas willing to spend silly money on what is essentially just a scoop of vanilla icecream.
Breastmilk can be put to better uses.
Like donating to maternity units for babies in scbu as was mentioned before.

Julia
02-Mar-11, 10:04
I'm a member of a Facebook breastfeeding group who regularly appeal for breastmilk donations either for sick or prem babies.

https://www.facebook.com/EatsonFeetsUK

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 10:10
I would think that in hollywood the amount of fake boobs would make breastfeeding very difficult or impossible.
The milk ducts can be compromised during surgery for breast implants, reductions,lifts etc due to the nature of the breast tissue and the work carried out!

squidge
02-Mar-11, 10:16
Breast milk doesn't taste nice. It's sweet and thin and not terribly nice. Why anyone would want to turn it into ice-cream I have no idea

rob1
02-Mar-11, 10:51
I find it really funny that some people find this totally repulsive, but getting milk for thier cornflakes from a cow is not!

SunnyChick
02-Mar-11, 11:43
I've clocked up arount 2 years breastfeeding my children.

I used to express some milk to supplement their first foods when I started weaning them. I made scrambled eggs, porrige and creamy pasta using breast milk, but never ever did come up with the idea to make them ice cream!

Breast milk doesn't taste all that bad actually, it's pretty rich and sweet, (but you would have to shake it as it tends to separate)! Don't know if I would have wanted someone else to nurse my bairns, but I'd have been happy to supply breast milk to a newborn baby who needed it. 4 years down the line though, the cupboard is probably bare!

What is it sitting in our fridges at home if it isn't "cows breast milk" anyway?

Leanne
02-Mar-11, 13:28
I find it really funny that some people find this totally repulsive, but getting milk for thier cornflakes from a cow is not!

You can't catch HIV from cow's milk

rob1
02-Mar-11, 14:02
You can't catch HIV from cow's milk

True. But you could get salmonella, e coli, literia, coxiella and an increased risk from developing Crohns disease from drinking cows milk.

If you take milk from a sick human you might get ill, take it from a sick cow you might also get ill.

shazzap
02-Mar-11, 14:38
If all milk provided to SCBU, is now sterilised.
Doesn't that mean all the nutrients are removed from it in the process, making formula milk more beneficial.

_Ju_
02-Mar-11, 17:05
My wife has pointed out that breast milk is for small babies and you should not feed ice cream to small babies so she cannot see the point of it.

hmmmm.... with that view point milk is only for calves, any fowl eggs for the reproduction of their species. And this is not going into the purpose of animal and vegetable matter used for food!
Breast milk isn't only for small babies. Human children are "designed" to suckle until between 2 and 3 years of age. In the "olden times" this gave them the best chance of survival and also helped to space babies so that there would be 2/3 years between siblings, making it more likely that the children would successfully be raised.

annemarie482
02-Mar-11, 17:35
hmmmm.... with that view point milk is only for calves, any fowl eggs for the reproduction of their species. And this is not going into the purpose of animal and vegetable matter used for food!
Breast milk isn't only for small babies. Human children are "designed" to suckle until between 2 and 3 years of age. In the "olden times" this gave them the best chance of survival and also helped to space babies so that there would be 2/3 years between siblings, making it more likely that the children would successfully be raised.

totally agree.......

however.......

as far as breast milk ice-cream goes......

i certainly wont be eating any of it!!! *boke*

Tristan
03-Mar-11, 00:59
News update: The ice-cream has been banned and is no longer in production because (wait for it) it was deemed "unfit for human consumption".

Sadly this is not a joke http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/28/main20037337.shtml

John Little
03-Mar-11, 08:12

My wife says 'Yes - but you wouldn't put sugar in, whip it up and freeze it'.

Leanne
03-Mar-11, 11:18
True. But you could get salmonella, e coli, literia, coxiella and an increased risk from developing Crohns disease from drinking cows milk.

If you take milk from a sick human you might get ill, take it from a sick cow you might also get ill.

All of these you can get from human breast milk if improperly sterilised (the same as with cows) the difference is with human milk you can catch HIV and hepatitis - both of which are incurable and deadly. The illnesses you list can be deadly but you can usually recover from them. HIV and Hepatitis are a death sentence...

brandy
03-Mar-11, 11:24
but from what i understood they did do screening for these things before the breast milk could be used?

annemarie482
03-Mar-11, 11:25
but from what i understood they did do screening for these things before the breast milk could be used?

surely you'd need to screen every "batch" donated?!

brandy
03-Mar-11, 11:31
yeah you would.. but from the article i read they did.. thats why they were selling it for like 14 quid a glass

SunnyChick
03-Mar-11, 12:49
Hey Brandy, I also think I read somewhere that it had been tested prior to use.

I've seen/heard many remarkable/slightly crazy stories about the use of breastmilk for health reasons.

A gentleman was on tv saying he drinks breast milk every day and swears it's part of the reason he beat cancer.

There was a mother who adopted a child (toddler age) and insisted on breastfeeding him/her to help forge a mother/daughter bond.

Worldwide the average age for breastfeeding is something in the region of 4 years old.

I fed my first for 11 months (she gave me up), and my second for 13 months (he started biting)! I really miss it, but for both of my children, it stopped at the right time but...

... If I'd known I could have sold ten ounces of gold-top for £15, then I could have easily been making £60/day on the stuff! :lol:

rob1
03-Mar-11, 15:38
All of these you can get from human breast milk if improperly sterilised (the same as with cows) the difference is with human milk you can catch HIV and hepatitis - both of which are incurable and deadly. The illnesses you list can be deadly but you can usually recover from them. HIV and Hepatitis are a death sentence...

Yeah, my examples were probably not the best ones to use.

I am not sure whether your point is a general factual comment or whether it is a reason to have this icecream and other human milk products banned. The vast majority of women in the uk who are producing milk that are HIV+ve will know due to blood test done during pregnancy in the hospital and continuing health visits after birth (therefore know not to pass it on to others). There must be a very small proportion of women and babies that are not picked up, therefore the risk of consuming milk from a human that is HIV+ve must be tiny. And then consuming the milk there is no garantee that cross infection will occure (i did read somewhere that it was around 20% for a baby taking milk every feed for 12 months - so one dose would be tiny too).
In the icecream case the woman did not have HIV or hepatitis so the risk of catching it is 0%.

_Ju_
03-Mar-11, 18:17

The milk donors were screened and tested just as blood donors are, making the likelihood of these two virtually nill. And the pastuerization process reduces/eliminates any bacteria.

oldmarine
03-Mar-11, 22:48
How's this for a new ice cream flavour!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

Never heard of it.

bagpuss
05-Mar-11, 22:28
Ah the power of Mumsnet

Call me Dave's favourite policy think tank