PDA

View Full Version : butchers

andrew.bowles30
28-Feb-11, 21:15
can any one tell me which butcher is the best to use as we are about to open a B & B in caithness and i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them

sweetpea
28-Feb-11, 22:49
Maybe best to do a taste test and try them all. I like Harrolds for some things and Harpers for others and so on..

Dadie
01-Mar-11, 00:54
Ermm for breakfast goods do a taste test with the patrons...and order what is most popular from each ie blackpudding from one and sausages from another..

Kodiak
01-Mar-11, 00:58
Tesco has the best Butcher and are a lot cheaper as well :D

theone
01-Mar-11, 01:05
The best bet is to try them yourself.

In a community like Caithness people will tell you the one they use, and their parents used, is best, even though they've never tried an alternative!

I personally use Bews in Thurso, but I've been told Harrolds do a mean steak pie.

I've also heard Mackay's in Wick have a great White Pudding.

charlie
01-Mar-11, 11:30
can any one tell me which butcher is the best to use as we are about to open a B & B in caithness and i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them

Surely you must have some experience in this matter already with your outlet at Wick airport?
What butcher so you use to supply that and what customer feedback have you had regarding quality?
That would give you some guidance.

_Ju_
01-Mar-11, 12:34

Gosh, I would have to disagree there. They cannot claim a local product, which is what is most interesting in a business like a B&B. Also the recycled black bin bags used at night are enough to put me off if nothing else!

GLENELG
01-Mar-11, 15:16
Sinclair the butchers Macarthur Street,George and his staff i reckon are the finest butchers that you could go to,and you allways get some-thing extra.

buster
01-Mar-11, 16:04
Castletown Butchers are very hard to beat - and their sausages are a decent size, not like the small ones you get in the Thurso butchers.

sids
01-Mar-11, 18:48
Castletown Butchers are very hard to beat - and their sausages are a decent size, not like the small ones you get in the Thurso butchers.

If only sausages were sold by weight! Then it would be fair.

Leanne
01-Mar-11, 22:39

Tescos is actually far more expensive for a lesser quality products.

Harrold's is my favourite - they have lovely meat and have just started selling wagu beef - now that is a steak and a half!! Absolutely delish! Lovely and marbled and ever so tasty...

Kevin Milkins
01-Mar-11, 22:49

The previous owner of the burger van parked at Homebase used to get his supplies at Tesco and he found them to be extremly good value for money.:lol:

charlie
01-Mar-11, 23:44
Surely you must have some experience in this matter already with your outlet at Wick airport?
What butcher so you use to supply that and what customer feedback have you had regarding quality?
That would give you some guidance.

If the OP does not already assert to his claim "i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them" what am I getting at Wick Airport if he don't know already??

Aaldtimer
02-Mar-11, 04:41
If the OP does not already assert to his claim "i do expect the best from a good butcher as we will order all meat from them" what am I getting at Wick Airport if he don't know already??

Erm, Charlie...is English not your first language? Because both your posts are very confusing!:confused

lexie
02-Mar-11, 11:39
having bought a piece of beef for roasting from Tesco, and taking it back to complain... was told by two members of Tesco Staff.. "never buy my meat from here!"... not much of an advert!!

plus not local,

.. Recently started going to Castletown Butcher and abs delish!... sausages by weight?... last time i was in i just asked for a lb and thats what i got! steak kebabs yum.... and rib eye steak... melting!

SunnyChick
02-Mar-11, 11:48
You can't go far wrong with any of the Thurso butchers (I haven't tried any of the Wick butchers). Castletown butchers is especially good and this is where I go. The staff are friendly, and the shop is good.

Why not have tasting night with some friend to help you decide?

Wanted
02-Mar-11, 12:45
just wondered where your new b+b will be andrew.

Dadie
02-Mar-11, 12:52
I use Sinclairs for meat when in Wick and try to not miss the butchers van from Castletown butchers when it goes past on a wed afternoon.
I prefer Sinclairs sausages but like the Castletown butchers blackpudding marginally better.
But I dont know if anywhere makes their own bacon in amounts that you would need for cooked breakfasts for a B&B.
As for eggs there are lots of people selling eggs locally..must be worth looking into that too!

Eilanboy
02-Mar-11, 16:50

Get your sausages from the stall in Wick town centre on a Saturday.By far the best I have ever tasted.

elaine834
02-Mar-11, 17:37
Sinclair the butchers Macarthur Street,George and his staff i reckon are the finest butchers that you could go to,and you allways get some-thing extra.

i second that :)

annemarie482
02-Mar-11, 18:42
HARROLDS HARROLDS HARROLDS!!! in wick

absolutely beautiful local meat (often labelled to exactly where its come from),
excellent service,
a range of pre-packed stirfry etc.
various martinated meats, variety of burgers, homemade kievs etc
cooking advice,
always give the bairns a free apple :)
also can vacum seal meat so it will keep longer for you so less waste.
they deliver,
(and have the added selling appeal of the may selections for your b&b)

dbooth82
02-Mar-11, 19:18
Harrolds is the besst....

piggin26
02-Mar-11, 21:49
i would say castletown is by far the best lovely meat hard to beat and there is a lot of choice

lhm
02-Mar-11, 22:07
Harrolds every time best quality you will get and all local

starlight express
02-Mar-11, 22:25
Oh Definately Castletown Butchers....what a selection, and lots of different things, lovely spicey steak kebabs,greek pork chops, stir fry steak in a creamy mushroom sauce, beautiful sausages and lots more, lovely staff and nothing is a bother to them. lovely clean shop and everything fresh, also they deliver.

Torvaig
02-Mar-11, 22:36
In a nutshell, going by the above posts, you can't go wrong with any of the butchers in Caithness. Quality on your doorstep wherever you are!

Tangerine-Dream
02-Mar-11, 22:38

Factory farmed rubbish for the masses. Stressed up animals = stressed up people (you are what you eat).... this is why people in big cities are so stressed, eating all that factory farmed junk. This is the last "bastion" of normality up here, why oh why would you want to buy meat from Tesco when there are perfectly good local butchers selling top quality "local" stuff? Tesco is far from "cheap".... 95 pence for a suede the size of an orange, you will get a local suede the size of a medicine ball in Harolds (Thurso) for 70 pence.... you can't buy boiling beef (to make soup) in Tesco, you will get a lovely bit of boiling beef from any of the butchers in town for a couple of quid. It is FAR cheaper to buy from local butchers and there are a lot more cuts on offer... if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.

You can't go wrong with Aultbea black pudding by the way.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/120608-003-small.jpg

GLENELG
02-Mar-11, 22:50
George Harper, you will not beat him give's all ay old people free sausages and if your younger you get a free meat roll some-times you get two,i will not go any-where else

Corrie 3
02-Mar-11, 22:51

I love my black pudding but Aultbea does nothing for me, if you want a good pudding go to Cormacks in Latheronwheel...his meat is superb as well !!

C3...:cool:

Tangerine-Dream
02-Mar-11, 23:02
I love my black pudding but Aultbea does nothing for me, if you want a good pudding go to Cormacks in Latheronwheel...his meat is superb as well !!

C3...:cool:

Black pudding is a very individual thing, some like them long, others like them thick and some prefer them bendy.... The Aultbea one is nice if thinly sliced and "pan fried" (what else would you fry it in... a plastic bucket?) until crispy, don't add any oil to the pan the natural fat in the pudding is enough to do the job.

I never say no to a good length of pudding (oooh err matron) so will look out for this "cormacks" pudding you speak of.... is it an under the counter job (nudge nudge, wink wink) or is it generally available to the public? I'll try a foot for starters and, if it's good, work up to a yard.

gerry4
02-Mar-11, 23:33
But I dont know if anywhere makes their own bacon in amounts that you would need for cooked breakfasts for a B&B.

I believe that Harold Bros in Wick cure their own bacon

gerry4
02-Mar-11, 23:38
if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.

I understand that Tesco's have been in Wick for a number of years and yet there are still 2 good butchers. These butchers remain because the products they sell are better than Tesco's and at a reasonable price.

golach
02-Mar-11, 23:42
I believe that Harold Bros in Wick cure their own bacon

Why, has it been unwell [lol]

bekisman
02-Mar-11, 23:43
Factory farmed rubbish for the masses. Stressed up animals = stressed up people (you are what you eat).... this is why people in big cities are so stressed, eating all that factory farmed junk. This is the last "bastion" of normality up here, why oh why would you want to buy meat from Tesco when there are perfectly good local butchers selling top quality "local" stuff? Tesco is far from "cheap".... 95 pence for a suede the size of an orange, you will get a local suede the size of a medicine ball in Harolds (Thurso) for 70 pence.... you can't buy boiling beef (to make soup) in Tesco, you will get a lovely bit of boiling beef from any of the butchers in town for a couple of quid. It is FAR cheaper to buy from local butchers and there are a lot more cuts on offer... if Tesco get their way we will all be walking about in cheap Chinese clothes, eating processed rubbish and the local shops will be a distant memory... goodbye Thurso, hello Tesco... they will suck the place dry.

What's a suede?

mama2
02-Mar-11, 23:58
Castletown for me. Loads of choice and different things such as yummy greek pork steak, chicken or beef stir fry, chilli pork, steak in mushroom sauce! They also usually have more varieties of sausages and burgers instead of just beef & pork. They do bombay burgers, chilli burgers, chicken sausages etc etc. Saying that the last time I was in Wick I had a steak pie from the butchers beside Houstons and it was beautiful x

Amowat
04-Mar-11, 08:41
Can`t beat Bews Butchers in Thurso they are brilliant!

Kezmac
05-Mar-11, 10:45
I would recommend the Castletown Butchers, Derek is a good Butcher - they have some lovely things and very reasonably priced and staff are friendly and helpful. Personal favourites include - Southern fried chicken, steak kebabs, hot and spicy chicken just to name a few and the lorne sausage is excellent best we have tasted. Derek gets his beef and pork locally.

But it is very true everyone has personal preference.

But keep up the good work Derek and your team!!

horsegirl
06-Mar-11, 21:13
I have to say Castletown Butchers all the way. Have had meat from a number of butchers around Thurso and i cant find anything better than Castletown for taste and price.

buster
03-May-11, 17:34
Castletown Butchers by far. Their standard is consistent and excellent, and their sausages are nearly double the size of the Thurso butchers.

kmackay
04-May-11, 08:47
Personally I use Bews in Thurso or Mackay's in Wick. Although I have heard good things about the one in Castletown too.