PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to....................

poppett
28-Feb-11, 15:12
The St Andrew`s Hotel in Edinburgh.?

An elderly relative spent her honeymoon there over sixty years ago at the expensive rate of 2/6 per night for dinner bed and breakfast, use of the bath sixpence extra! Her daughter is coming to Edinburgh for her fortieth anniversary and the nearest place the travel agent could find for them was the Balmoral Hotel.

Anyone have any idea what happened to the St Andrews Hotel?

orkneycadian
28-Feb-11, 18:33
....... The Likely Lads?

Venture
28-Feb-11, 19:36
There used to be a 'St Andrew's Temperance Hotel' in South St Andrew Street, just off Princes Street. Many of the old hotels are now closed and turned into offices around that area. Try google maps.

poppett
28-Feb-11, 19:49
It has been suggested it is now the jobcentre.

golach
28-Feb-11, 19:56
Thats correct, it is a Job Centre now

poppett
01-Mar-11, 10:50
Thank you for the confirmation, Golach.

Darlings Regent Hotel on Waterloo Place was owned by the same family. From an old postcard it looks as if the Regent became part of the Council offices.

Such a pity the St Andrews hotel is no longer there, but all things move on.

The original honeymooner will be delighted with the information we have found for her.

golach
01-Mar-11, 10:57
Poppet, your in luck, the old Housing Dept has been turned back into a hotel

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/apex-waterloo-place.html?aid=314919;label=waterloo-place-bS66P6nwEaSG1bEsSrfA0AS3732117464;sid=d4696835dc6b d2fa8691a56a7a4d06bc

poppett
01-Mar-11, 14:22
Just goes to prove the old saying "Made round to go round".

Thank you for the link. It looks like a lovely refurbishment. Last time I was in that building was to see a housing officer about a flat in Leith circa 2000.... and it looked nothing like the photos you posted for us to share.

George Brims
01-Mar-11, 22:04
Thats correct, it is a Job Centre now
I got my first (though temporary) job after college through that Job Centre - across the street at Jenners! I also met a funny wee man who wanted to recruit me for something involving knots and rope. As I was explaining to him that no, I had never been a boy scout, but knew a few knots from growing up on a farm and fishing a lot, one of the Job Centre staff came over and chased him out. Then he explained what the wee weirdo was really after. One lives and learns!

golach
01-Mar-11, 23:09
I got my first (though temporary) job after college through that Job Centre - across the street at Jenners!!

Sorry George you mean Forsyths, now Top Shop, the Job Centre is in South St Andrews St, Jenners, now owned by the House of Fraser, are in South St Davids St, your just a block out :)