PDA

View Full Version : What did the Mod do for you?

gleeber
28-Feb-11, 12:24
http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon1.png The Mod...did it benefit you?

What did the Mod do for you?

Despite the multi-million £ boost, the Mod gave Caithness,(see "report reveals that...") there were some commercials sections complaining, afterwards, that they didn't profit from the Gaelic festival, as much as they had expected. Tell the forum how you fared.

The above was extracted from Doanalsins diary.

The Mod strengthed my opinion that Caithness has no connection with the Gaelic culture or Gaelic language that was so well presented by the Gaelic community when they visited Caithness. That doesnt mean that it couldnt change though. After all they have an act of parliament to enforce that change. The Highland Council are intent on carrying out the Gaelicisation of the Highlands with little thought of the opinions of the people of caithness or of the evolved history of the area.
I had no financial interest in the Mod although I paid my money at the door on a couple of occasions and was proud when my daughter played her fiddle in one of the competitions. She won a gold badge along with her group. There can be no higher acclaim than to compete at the Royal Mod.
The massed choirs at the Town Hall square on Saturday morning was a unique experience and one I hope will happen again in years to come.
There's nothing naturally Gaelic about Caithness. Gaelics gone.
Caithness should not be on any Gaelic map other than as a freindly ally.

Beat Bug
28-Feb-11, 12:47
What surprised me about the Mod was the fact that hardly anyone spoke Gaelic! Even more so that it isn't taught in schools. I grew up in Ireland, where Gaelic was taught in schools from day one! On leaving school at 17, I was fluent in the language. (sadly now a bit rusty!) Both Scottish and Irish Gaelic are similar, with many words the same, so I was able (over 40 years later) to translate most of the Gaelic on the signs without having to look at the English version.

The Highland Games, wearing the kilt, playing the bagpipe, and probably several other Scottish cultural elements, are all part and parcel of life here in Caithness, so why not the language as well? Teach it in schools. It's part of Scottish heritage!

Immigrants to the UK bring their language and culture with them, so why shouldn't we keep ours?

Gronnuck
28-Feb-11, 12:55
For me the Mod gave me the opportunity to learn a little about the Gaelic language and culture; and I realised there was more to it than a strange 'hull-mucka-doo' way of expressing oneself. I feel it does have a place in modern Scotland however I am very much against enforced Gaelicisation. I feel the money earmarked for promoting Gaelic should be proportionate to the needs of the Gaelic speaking population and there are effective ways of determining this. To do otherwise smacks of discrimination. Education through the medium of Gaelic should be available for those who have a real desire to follow that route.
My real concern is that enforced Gaelicisation will polarise opinion and possibly futher alienate Gaelic language and culture. The Scottish government and Highland Council have to realise that 'the Highlands' has a much more diverse population than perhaps it is prepared to acknowledge.

Gronnuck
28-Feb-11, 13:09
The Highland Games, wearing the kilt, playing the bagpipe, and probably several other Scottish cultural elements, are all part and parcel of life here in Caithness, so why not the language as well? Teach it in schools. It's part of Scottish heritage!

These are but elements of Scotland's heritage. The widespread use of the Gaelic langage gave way to the wider use of the Scots language in the 15th and 16th century. At that time the use of Gaelic was pushed to the west of the country. Other languages and dialects were in use too so IMHO it is difficult to establish which language should have pre-eminence.
There is no denying the importance of Gaelic however it should not be forced upon anyone.

weeboyagee
01-Mar-11, 14:58
Well - after what can only be called hibernation after being absent from these boards for some time, try not to fall over with the shock of weeboyagee being back during a coffee break!

I was made aware in Fort William at the weekend, of a newspaper article in the Herald referring to the millions that the county benefited from. I had a chat with the papers today when they phoned asking me for a comment in respect of the same.

Safe to say that the £3m to the county is on par with the "traditional" hosting towns of the Mod - and a true testament to the local community for being great hosts. With nearly 7,000 visiting, well, there were those who WERE prepared to make the effort to come so far north! 30% of them first timers - so a Caithness experience being a good one will surely get them back at the Mod again, here or in other places. So that left the others who didn't come wanting to come the next time after they heard of what a great Mod it was - one of the best.

But a Mod doesn't make Caithness any more Gaelic than it ever was or ever will be. What it did, was educate and bring matters to the fore to be debated about the Caithness heritage and culture. Surely we don't still have those in denial about that? Regardless of what changes modern culture exists in the county today? Let those who wish to sit in the debating chambers of the HC and take their little tantrums out v Gaelic, v Education, v Hospitals and School closures, cut-backs etc, continue their debates. But let the rest of us get on with life and be thankful for that which made us what we are - Norse, Gaelic, Scots, whatever.

I have also been asked if it would be good to have the "after" debate, in the similar fashion as we had the "afore" debate. What say you Gleeber - we're definitely a lot older, are we a lot wiser? :D You've got to admit - you were a bit of a star on the panel - and I'm sure Murdo would love to get the craic wi' ye again biye!!! ;)

WBG :cool:

nicnak
01-Mar-11, 15:08
Well not a Thing! was it supposed to or is it one of those things made to look like it is important for everyone but really about a select few! Personally I think it was a complete waste of money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Each
01-Mar-11, 16:56
From the Highland Council Web Site...

A survey of people visiting the Mod in Caithness 2010 has shown that over £2million was generated in direct expenditure and an additional £1million generated indirect expenditure for the area. More than half of this expenditure remained within the Caithness economy.

These were the headline figures of a report presented to members of The Highland Council’s Gaelic Committee on behalf of Mod organisers An Comunn Gàidhealach, by David MacIntyre of Value8 Research and Consultancy.

Mr MacIntyre added that 6,673 people (half of which were competitors and half spectators/visitors) were attracted to the Caithness Mod.

The return in Caithness, on investment of £133,000 by The Highland Council and Event Scotland’s £36,000 was 9 to 1 and 31 to 1 respectively for every pound invested.

Results of the Mod visitor survey showed that:

23% of people said that they would definitely return to the area for a holiday;
78% would not have taken another break in Scotland at that time outwith the Mod; and
30% of Caithness competitors were competing in the Mod for the first time while the other 70% were repeat Mod competitors.

Mr MacIntyre demonstrated that the National Mod had raised the profile of the Caithness area within Scotland through the wide media coverage that it attracted including a visit from HRH The Duke of Rothesay, Prince Charles.

gleeber
01-Mar-11, 23:28
Welcome WBG and Each. Good to see you both back on the org. The mere mention of the Mod gets your toes tappin or in this case your fingers.
The debates not about the Mod. The Mod could be held almost anywhere in the world and you would get thousands there.
Mind you there's not much of a debate happening at the moment although in my opinion, since the Gaelic Act became law in 2005 there is no debate. Just a lot of snarling every now and again and low salvos of bigots and anti Gaelic coming flying back. :eek:
The debate in Wick was pretty civilised but it was little more than entertainment. You give me too much credit for my involvement and I refuse to be drawn into a false sense of security.
I still think Caithness has a valid argument against Gaelicisation so one of these days the powers that be will need to talk.

Kenn
02-Mar-11, 01:54
It brought music that stirred the soul, I do not have a word of gaelic but followed The Mod with great interest and attended several of the fringe events which were most enjoyable.
Any celebration of music is to be applauded and I know that many local folk were involved and spent alot of time in their rehearsals.
I do not see that it was in any way a means to turn Caithness into a gaelic community merely a celebration of the traditions and music that belong to The Gael, long may it continue.

MusicWicker
02-Mar-11, 09:18
From the Highland Council Web Site...

A survey of people visiting the Mod in Caithness 2010 has shown that over £2million was generated in direct expenditure and an additional £1million generated indirect expenditure for the area. More than half of this expenditure remained within the Caithness economy.

These were the headline figures of a report presented to members of The Highland Council’s Gaelic Committee on behalf of Mod organisers An Comunn Gàidhealach, by David MacIntyre of Value8 Research and Consultancy.

Mr MacIntyre added that 6,673 people (half of which were competitors and half spectators/visitors) were attracted to the Caithness Mod.

The return in Caithness, on investment of £133,000 by The Highland Council and Event Scotland’s £36,000 was 9 to 1 and 31 to 1 respectively for every pound invested.

Results of the Mod visitor survey showed that:

23% of people said that they would definitely return to the area for a holiday;
78% would not have taken another break in Scotland at that time outwith the Mod; and
30% of Caithness competitors were competing in the Mod for the first time while the other 70% were repeat Mod competitors.

Mr MacIntyre demonstrated that the National Mod had raised the profile of the Caithness area within Scotland through the wide media coverage that it attracted including a visit from HRH The Duke of Rothesay, Prince Charles.

I seriously doubt these figures are accurate. I assume 'spectators' are people who live in the area / happened to be walking by a venue when there was something MOD related going on inside / just here on holiday but counted anyway.

SunnyChick
02-Mar-11, 12:03
I went out for a night during the MOD with some girlfriends. Gaelic isn't something that really interests me, but I wanted to show some community spirit and join in some of the fun.

Thurso was just heaving that week-day night, with some really excellent cheery music (among some more maudlin/slit your wrists music in one or two places). There was a great atmosphere in town, with a good mix of people about. There was a real community feel to it all. Everyone bar hopping, so all publicans/hoteliers would have benefitted from increased trade I'd hope.

neilsermk1
02-Mar-11, 13:39
What did the Mod do for you?

Short answer, not a thing

Each
02-Mar-11, 14:13
Theres only one thing worse than the gaels.... and that the romans.... so which group started started this thread,
Was it....

The Peoples Front of Caithness (PFC)
or
the Caithnessian Peoples Front (CPF) ?

Just remember...

Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...

Alba.gu.brath
02-Mar-11, 14:57
The atmosphere the mod creates is nothing like the real atmosphere you get in the West highlands go to a pub in Skye or Lewis and you have a great atmosphere with lively music not the set in stone depressing style that the Mod promotes ....i belong to Skye and i have competed at the mod but the mod dose not show the true Gàidhlig culture of the west coast and only promotes the views of a few

Alba.gu.brath
02-Mar-11, 14:58
I went out for a night during the MOD with some girlfriends. Gaelic isn't something that really interests me, but I wanted to show some community spirit and join in some of the fun.

Thurso was just heaving that week-day night, with some really excellent cheery music (among some more maudlin/slit your wrists music in one or two places). There was a great atmosphere in town, with a good mix of people about. There was a real community feel to it all. Everyone bar hopping, so all publicans/hoteliers would have benefitted from increased trade I'd hope.

The atmosphere the mod creates is nothing like the real atmosphere you get in the West highlands go to a pub in Skye or Lewis and you have a great atmosphere with lively music not the set in stone depressing style that the Mod promotes ....i belong to Skye and i have competed at the mod but the mod dose not show the true Gàidhlig culture of the west coast and only promotes the views of a few

gleeber
02-Mar-11, 16:38
Theres only one thing worse than the gaels.... and that the romans.... so which group started started this thread,
Was it....

The Peoples Front of Caithness (PFC)
or
the Caithnessian Peoples Front (CPF) ?

Just remember...

Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...
Well at least your not sure which group I belong to. It saves me from the usual anti-Gaelic, bigot remarks reserved for Councillor Rosie when he dares question the motives of a small minority of the population of Scotland and a much smaller one of Caithness when they insist Gaelic should have equal status to English.