PDA

View Full Version : Diet ideas?

Dadie
28-Feb-11, 10:14
Need some ideas to get me back on track.
Since the scales broke...not due to my weight or anything, I think they got wet and shorted the battery or loose wiring inside, I have put on a few lbs and need to get back down to where I was.
Bit of a shock when I finally got round to getting a new set!
Its only 6lbs but its more than I thought.:eek:
I am 8st 11 at the mo and usually hover around 8st 5lb (give or take a lb)
Going to start eating soup again for lunch!

The Flea
28-Feb-11, 10:29
Your worried about being 8st 11!!!!!

ShelleyCowie
28-Feb-11, 10:30
Dadie, if i was 8st 11, i would be over the moon LOL! Iv been going to the gym regularly and have to say i really enjoy it. I dont dread going, i actually cant wait! Its only 45 minute sessions, but its 45 minutes to myself :)

I have to really cut out the fizzy drinks though! Thats my mega downfall.

What soups do you eat? Im wanting to steal ideas off you :) My target is to loose 1stone before July, im too scared to weigh myself just now though haha!

orkneycadian
28-Feb-11, 10:57
Eat less?
Exercise more?

Just a couple of thoughts! ;)

_Ju_
28-Feb-11, 11:04
Eat less?
Exercise more?

My Goodness Orkneycadian. What a great helpful comment!!!!!! You are totally wasted on here!!!!!!! You should go write a book and make millions!

orkneycadian
28-Feb-11, 11:11
Too late. I think bookshelves are already full of publications that recommend eating less and exercising more in order to lose weight. Another one would simply be a waste of good trees...

Vistravi
28-Feb-11, 13:17
I've been going to the gym reguarly for a month or so and i'm noticing a big difference. My legs are harder and my arms have a definte shape. I try to do as much cardio as possible be it just pushing my son up the springpark hill very fast keeping a straight back. I also try to get out and about every afternoon. My cardio has suffered a bit last week due to getting out driving as much as i could. There are days when i'm out three times a day to get jobs done and i feel like i've had a good day exercise wise then.

oldmarine
28-Feb-11, 13:55
Eat less?
Exercise more?

I subscribe to this one. It does take perseverance and self-control.

Dadie
28-Feb-11, 14:54
No im not worried, but, I am only 5'4".
And I dont want to put on any more weight as I had gestational diabetes(which gives you a greater risk of getting type 2 diabetes later on) when I was pregnant with Euan and if I keep my weight down the risk of me getting diabetes later on is lessened!
Plus my parents and other family members have type2 diabetes as well.
So thats the main factor in keeping the weight off for me!
I hate needles..and pricking my finger 8-10 times a day when pregnant was bad enough...but the blood tests too:eek:

Shabbychic
28-Feb-11, 15:11
Try either cutting out or reducing your consumption of dairy.

Penelope Pitstop
28-Feb-11, 15:32
My tip is. cut down dramatically on things containing sugar, it causes your pancreas to produce insulin which then stores the sugar/carbohydrate as fat....so I believe ! Won't do your diabetes any harm to cut down on sugar anyway (presuming you eat any sugar at all !!) :)

Dadie
28-Feb-11, 16:03
Thanks penelope.
I dont do sugary stuff much and dont drink fizzy juice fullstop.
I dont eat cereal, just toast if anything in the morning, whatever the kids have at lunchtime(sandwiches fruit fishfingers etc) and dinner.
Drink loads of tea, just milk or if white tea without milk.
Though Im going through strepsils and cough medicine like there is no tommorrow since friday..but they cant be the cause ..but they probably wont help!
I dont eat proccessed food much, as I cook from scratch most of the time.
(had a chinese takeaway on friday as I felt awful, and hubby isnt a great cook, which was my 1st for months)
I dont have diabetes and Im trying to keep it that way!
Cutting out dairy would be an option to try...I use butter a lot on my toast.

georgen
28-Feb-11, 21:40
Here's a few things that's worked for me:

Avoid junk food. Eat plenty of lean protein and vegtables. Avoid too much starchy carbs ( potatoes, white rice ) in the later part of the day. Never skip breakfast as this can stall your motabilism. Avoid too much alcohol and drink plenty of water.

Trying to stay active, i.e: walking, running, swimming, weight training will really help.

Good luck ! :-)

The Bruce
01-Mar-11, 16:12
Drink water.

Loads of it.

It'll help the flow of everything else you consume go through your body before it can grab hold of it and store it. You'll also get loads of exercise going for a wee so often!

Also, if you really want to lose weight, don't exercise. Exercises will reduce fat but will also increase muscle which is denser than fat leading to you being heavier.

Or you could just chill out. 8 st 11 isn't bad unless your about 4 foot tall...

Having said that I'm sixteen stone....but I'm trying to increase my weight for the battlefield ;)

Dadie
01-Mar-11, 17:15
I will try to take on board the tips!
I will get out and about more with the buggy (though its walking at 1/2 snails pace with the girls both wanting to walk everywhere) but it must be using extra cals to push it around even with only Euan in it .
Skipping breakfast often happens, Im too busy running after the kids (getting them fed and dressed, looking for that special toy etc..)to make myself another round of toast after mine wanders off!
But considering going to a keepfit class after this cough/cold clears up to tone up as well...no point in getting into my thin jeans and to have a muffin top spilling over!
As for drinking water, I usually add 1/2 fresh OJ to sparkling water or drink tea, so willl have to try to drink more water!
Im not a big one for tatties, but have fallen into the trap of having mac cheese once or twice a week (everyone eats it) as its such an easy dinner, I will have to go back to tomato based sauces.
Didnt realise how many bad habits I have slipped into.....:eek:
Though I do refuse kids leftovers and secondhand cakes/sweets!

oldmarine
01-Mar-11, 19:24
I will try to take on board the tips!
I will get out and about more with the buggy (though its walking at 1/2 snails pace with the girls both wanting to walk everywhere) but it must be using extra cals to push it around even with only Euan in it .
Skipping breakfast often happens, Im too busy running after the kids (getting them fed and dressed, looking for that special toy etc..)to make myself another round of toast after mine wanders off!
But considering going to a keepfit class after this cough/cold clears up to tone up as well...no point in getting into my thin jeans and to have a muffin top spilling over!
As for drinking water, I usually add 1/2 fresh OJ to sparkling water or drink tea, so willl have to try to drink more water!
Im not a big one for tatties, but have fallen into the trap of having mac cheese once or twice a week (everyone eats it) as its such an easy dinner, I will have to go back to tomato based sauces.
Didnt realise how many bad habits I have slipped into.....:eek:
Though I do refuse kids leftovers and secondhand cakes/sweets!

Dadie: Appears to have learned a lot. I wish that I had learned early enough to avoid too many sweets. I became a diabetic and all the problems associated with being one. I am now on far too many medications all because I did not learn soon enough during my 85+ years.