PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Banks,

Kodiak
28-Feb-11, 02:15
Being a Pensioner I save evey penney I get and I do meant every penny. I have several Banks and in one I save Pennies and Twopence's. In another I save fivr pence coins, ten pence coins, twenty pence coins and fifty pence coins. In a Third bank I save one & two pound Coins.

Now my question id this. I have about 50 to 60 pounds in change and this would be very useful to me. I could buy just over a weeks electric for one thing. But which bank I take it too who would be willing to change it into notes for me.

I asked in the TSB in Trail Street but I was told to get out! and not very nicely either I might add, as they did not want my sort in their bank. [evil] I presume they ment a Big Fat OAP with 2 walking sticks making their tidy bank look untidy.

When I asked what was ment by my sort the assistant manager told me in in a rather loud voice "Just to Get Out and dont come Back" So I Got out and I wont go back. I always thought that one of the Banks job was the exchange of money, it appears it is not though now.

So does anyone know a Bank where I could take my change to, so that I can get it changed into notes? I am a bit wary now after what happened in the TSB.

Phill
28-Feb-11, 02:36
TSB!!

Does this place still exist?
I kinda remember it, but it was referred to as the toytown bank at the time. Methinks you musta gone to a nursery or summit, but then you'd get better treatment!!!!

There is a word I could use but it may not be allowed here for fear of an infarction.

Seriously, you could do well by asking local shops to change it for you. As long as it is bagged up correctly you might find this easier, as some retailers struggle for change and will get charged by their banks for it.

Aaldtimer
28-Feb-11, 04:11
Being a Pensioner I save evey penney I get and I do meant every penny. I have several Banks and in one I save Pennies and Twopence's. In another I save fivr pence coins, ten pence coins, twenty pence coins and fifty pence coins. In a Third bank I save one & two pound Coins.

Now my question id this. I have about 50 to 60 pounds in change and this would be very useful to me. I could buy just over a weeks electric for one thing. But which bank I take it too who would be willing to change it into notes for me.

I asked in the TSB in Trail Street but I was told to get out! and not very nicely either I might add, as they did not want my sort in their bank. [evil] I presume they ment a Big Fat OAP with 2 walking sticks making their tidy bank look untidy.

When I asked what was ment by my sort the assistant manager told me in in a rather loud voice "Just to Get Out and dont come Back" So I Got out and I wont go back. I always thought that one of the Banks job was the exchange of money, it appears it is not though now.

So does anyone know a Bank where I could take my change to, so that I can get it changed into notes? I am a bit wary now after what happened in the TSB.

I really can't imagine any bank treating anyone in such a disgraceful fashion!:mad:
I would imagine any local business would be happy to change your pennies and small change for notes willingly, as I believe they are charged by the banks for the same service.
You would probably have to bag them up in appropriate demoninations though.:confused

lindsaymcc
28-Feb-11, 09:18
When we did this, we took ours to RBS. No problems there.

I think new rules are that you need to change them with the bank that you bank with - if that makes sense.

Am disgusted with TSB on you behalf.

golach
28-Feb-11, 09:33
I go to my bank on a regular basis, doing a similar task, with 1p, 2p, 5p, & 50p coins, but I have a collection on money bags, and I count the coins and sort them into the appropriate amounts and bags, I have never been turned away from my bank, they take my monies, put the cash into the account I wish, and give me a receipt, never had any problems

poppett
28-Feb-11, 09:41
I bank with the Clydesdale and they have changed bagged coins for me in the past without charge. Usually I offload excess to Frasers shop as it saves them paying the bank for change.

If try not to spend a nice new note if I get one and that means I use the change rather than save it.

I am disgusted with your treatment at Lloyds TSB bank, Kodiak. Next time I am down the street I will toddle in and make the place look untidy, just to annoy them, just for you!

theone
28-Feb-11, 10:34
I'd go to whatever bank you have your main account with, then tell them you'd like to make a deposit.

It'd probably be polite to get the little bags first though and sort the coins out.

orkneycadian
28-Feb-11, 10:55
Try a business you know and they know you first. Banks charge businesses an obscene amount of commission to move cash in and out of bank accounts, and businesses always need change. Get some coin bags from the bank first (they will happily give them out), then count your change into the amounts written on the bags. Most businesses would be delighted to find a way of getting change at no commission!

Best tried first of all with a business you know and they know you, as there will be an element of trust that the bags contain the right amount of change, unless the business is used to weighing change bags to check they weigh the right amount.

I always try and spend my change, rather than empty it into bottles and things at home. Businesses are always grateful to be getting the right money rather than having to buy more change from the bank on a regular basis.

"Cashback" is also a good way to help businesses avoid the swindling bank charges to pay in their bigger denominations, i.e. £20 notes, in. It costs many businesses a lot more to deposit the cash with the bank than it does to process your debit card transaction and give you £50 in cash back. Meanwhile, it costs you, the consumer, no more to get your cash this way!

Beat Bug
28-Feb-11, 11:14
"Cashback" is also a good way to help businesses avoid the swindling bank charges to pay in their bigger denominations, i.e. £20 notes, in. It costs many businesses a lot more to deposit the cash with the bank than it does to process your debit card transaction and give you £50 in cash back. Meanwhile, it costs you, the consumer, no more to get your cash this way!
Cashback also helps stores to keep their insurance premiums lower, as part of their insurance covers cash held on the premises.

Shabbychic
28-Feb-11, 13:32
We changed loose coins into £80 worth of notes in TSB about 2 weeks ago, with no problem, and no cost. We do have an account there, and the coins were counted into bags. Have also done it in the the past with Clydesdale with no problem there either.