PDA

View Full Version : Land Of the painted caves

_Ju_
27-Feb-11, 10:27
Is anyone else looking forward to the end of march, to get their hands on "The land of the painted caves" by Jean M Auel?
I read Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 13/14 ( I was and am an avid reader. If my parents had it on the book shelf, I read it!). I was hooked. I have re-read the series many times, with my favorites being Valley of the horses and the clan of the cave bear. I am wishing for March to rush by and hope that this, the last book of the series ( or that Auel will write) will not be a disapointment.

Dadie
27-Feb-11, 10:59
Have it on pre order..just waiting now!
I read the whole lot while still in primary school, then re read them about 5 years ago...must dig them back out and re read them before thr shiny new one comes home.
I read as much as I can (3 small children dont make it easy to get the time) but my hubby hasnt had a book that hasnt been pre read by me as I cant wait for him to finish a book so I can get it!

Razz
27-Feb-11, 11:19
Cant wait, we have waited so long for this.

gunnlass
27-Feb-11, 11:37
I never knew about this, thanks for letting me know, haven't read a book for ages so will def make time for this one, I too enjoyed the other ones and look forward to see what comes next.

lynne duncan
27-Feb-11, 21:52
talk about coincidences _Ju_ i'm reading the last one at the moment,
i also starting reading them when they came out originally, also when i was 14/15 used them for my "o" much to the teachers disgust still can remember them saying use canna use THAT for your exam how i wish i could get a hold of that teacher now and say "told you so!", they are a fascinating series, would love to travel and see the caves where the series is set on, my son would also love to come we were discussing the cro-magnon people when i was reading the book. hope she ties up the loose ends if this is to be the last in the series. (I had honestly thought she had died, thankfully she hasna, and ten out of ten to her for continuing with this series

_Ju_
28-Feb-11, 09:08
I actually listened to the audiobooks of this series last summer while quilting a bunch of projects ( my other hobby).
I believe that the books were quite scandalous when they came out, Lynne. They tended to be quite graphic at a time when people were still (apparently) quite conservative. They certainly have stood the test of time, and while Auel did play with time lines a little, and did embelish with a wonderful imagination, she did great research and did not stretch historical fact too far.
I am not so worried that loose ends get tied up, but that the last book have a weak storyline, or that it feels like it was written by someone else. I remember buying James Herriots last book hot off the press and for some reason it felt like an american wrote it. I must read it again, to see if I feel the same. It is the only James Herriot book I never re-read.

Liz
28-Feb-11, 13:34
I've never heard of this author so had a look on Amazon and like the look of these books.

How many are there?

_Ju_
28-Feb-11, 13:38
There are 6 books counting the new one. You can often find the first few in charity shops/book sales:

The Clan of the Cave Bear, 1980
The Valley of Horses, 1982
The Mammoth Hunters, 1985
The Plains of Passage, 1990
The Shelters of Stone, 2002
The Land of Painted Caves, 2011

Liz
28-Feb-11, 13:39
Thanks _Ju_ Will see where I can find the best price.

_Ju_
28-Feb-11, 13:41
have a look at book depository. Their prices already include postage and quite often you can find pretty good deals there.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=auel&search=%3CSPAN%3E%3CEM%3EFind%26nbsp%3Bbook%3C%2FE M%3E%3C%2FSPAN%3E

Liz
28-Feb-11, 14:17
What a great website! Thanks ever so much _Ju_.:D

nicnak
28-Feb-11, 15:04
i cant wait, loved the rest of the series so i will be getting this for my kindle as soon as it is available!

Moira
28-Feb-11, 15:38
Thanks _Ju_ Will see where I can find the best price.

Another Jean M Auel fan here.

Liz, if you want to save your pennies, all the titles are available in the Highland Libraries area. You can also download the Audio versions if you logon to the HL website using your member's card number and PIN. I'm sure you will enjoy the series. :)

sandyr1
28-Feb-11, 16:11
Is anyone else looking forward to the end of march, to get their hands on "The land of the painted caves" by Jean M Auel?
I read Clan of the Cave Bear when I was 13/14 ( I was and am an avid reader. If my parents had it on the book shelf, I read it!). I was hooked. I have re-read the series many times, with my favorites being Valley of the horses and the clan of the cave bear. I am wishing for March to rush by and hope that this, the last book of the series ( or that Auel will write) will not be a disapointment.

Wow you have brought back memories...Also read them and the first two were particularly good. Was a wee bit older than you !!!!! when I read them.
Also recently read several of Ken Follett's books e.g. Pillars of the Earth....Excellent! You have me interested in Auel's new one. Tks.

lynne duncan
28-Feb-11, 23:31
got number five from amazon for a £0.01 plus £2.80 postage thought that was a good bargain

Liz
28-Feb-11, 23:45
Another Jean M Auel fan here.

Liz, if you want to save your pennies, all the titles are available in the Highland Libraries area. You can also download the Audio versions if you logon to the HL website using your member's card number and PIN. I'm sure you will enjoy the series. :)

Cheers Moira.:D

got number five from amazon for a £0.01 plus £2.80 postage thought that was a good bargain

That certainly was Lynne!

_Ju_
01-Mar-11, 08:15

That was an excellent bargain, but with the new book coming out those prices will go out the window! Saying that though, everytime a new Harry Potter book came out, the older ones were at a very good price at Tesco's.