PDA

View Full Version : Another sad road death in Caithness

Chrisf1961
26-Feb-11, 10:58
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12587013

My condolenses to the family ...such a sad story to start the weekend........

Droopy
26-Feb-11, 11:36
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12587013

My condolenses to the family ...such a sad story to start the weekend........

What purpose does this thread serve Chris?
Please lock it while I report it to the admin to be removed.

The Music Monster
26-Feb-11, 11:45

Really, Droopy - What is wrong with this thread?! How does it break the forum rules?! Here is someone trying to offer comfort and support to a grieving family and you want to close it down?! Odd choice!

I also offer my condolences to those who have lost someone in this tragedy, irrespective of whether I offend the other people on here.

emb123
26-Feb-11, 11:48
Aye true. Shame on the BBC for ever reporting it.
Now it has been mentioned on here even the papers are going to print about it.

My condolences to the families involved.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:00
Aye true. Shame on the BBC for ever reporting it.
Now it has been mentioned on here even the papers are going to print about it.

The past case history on here on threads of this nature is that they get closed down as soon as someone dares to raise the issue of social acceptability of certain driving practices on Caithness roads and streets.

Gizmo
26-Feb-11, 12:01

It's been officially reported in the 'Donalsin's Diary' section of the Org, so i don't see any problem with it being mentioned in the general section as well.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:06
It's been officially reported in the 'Donalsin's Diary' section

Since when has Noel 'No News' Donaldson become the county's "official" oracle? He read it off the news from the comfort of his armchair the same as the OP of this thread did.

Chrisf1961
26-Feb-11, 12:10
You know something my wife said to me the other day why do you bother posting ANYTHING . What purpose do a lot of posts on here serve,im like anyone else expressing my opinion and im truely saddened by hearing of the death of someone who have lost their life in a car crash.
I will take my final leave off the forums totally as like a lot of folk i guess who used to post wont now for the fear of saying something out of turn or merely expressing ones opinion.....

Gizmo
26-Feb-11, 12:13
Since when has Noel 'No News' Donaldson become the county's "official" oracle? He read it off the news from the comfort of his armchair the same as the OP of this thread did.

I never implied that he was the county's official oracle, but he has been given his own personal news reporting section by the Org owners to report official news.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:18
It's been officially reported in the 'Donalsin's Diary' section

I never implied that he was the county's official oracle

If you can sort out that contradiction then you're a better man than I am.

The Music Monster
26-Feb-11, 12:25
OK... Let's bring this back to what it should be about....
Someone has died in a car crash - this is a tragedy - why do you feel the need to make everything so vindictive. If you don't find this news sad and you don't want to offer comfort to the family involved, DON'T POST!! There is no need to gripe on about someone you don't like (who is just doing their job), nor is there any want for it... Go find another thread to annoy!

Gizmo
26-Feb-11, 12:26
If you can sort out that contradiction then you're a better man than I am.

He's the OFFICIAL news reporter for the Org...not the County. You're just being awkward, and you seem to have a bit of chip on your shoulder regarding Noel Donaldson.

golach
26-Feb-11, 12:27
I will take my final leave off the forums totally as like a lot of folk i guess who used to post wont now for the fear of saying something out of turn or merely expressing ones opinion.....

For goodness sake you have only been on the Org for a short time, and you are already going to throw your rattle out of your pram. Get a grip, its the Org, we all get criticised at some time or another, bide your time, then get back at them at a later date [disgust]

Chrisf1961
26-Feb-11, 12:31
Ive enough jip in my life Golach one doesnt need anymore........ take care and all the best

chordie
26-Feb-11, 12:32
He's the OFFICIAL news reporter for the Org...

What does that mean? Copying a news story off the web and posting it in a thread? At least the original poster on this thread had the common decency to acknowledge the source.

Gizmo
26-Feb-11, 12:38
What does that mean? Copying a news story off the web and posting it in a thread? At least the original poster on this thread had the common decency to acknowledge the source.

http://www.adelekirby.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Missy Wick
26-Feb-11, 12:47
This topic is something that is very close to my heart as many of you know that I lost my little brother 2 years ago.

I dont see the problem with the original post as Northern Constabulary have it on their own news page and their own facebook page so they see it as information and as far as I am concerned the OP mentioned no names etc just heartfelt condolences so there is no harm in that. Also HGV traffic has been diverted via Wick so therefore this needs to made public in order to minimise disrution and to allow the traffic police to carry out their fantastic job.

dragonfly
26-Feb-11, 13:10
condolences to his family, such a shame another young life taken early and like missy wick I lost someone, my husband, to an RTA but agree that if its in the public arena and no names are being given what harm can it do to pass on condolences to the family

I think that with so many young lives being lost something has got to be done to make young drivers aware how easily a life can be taken by an accident

chordie
26-Feb-11, 13:21
I think that with so many young lives being lost something has got to be done to make young drivers aware how easily a life can be taken by an accident

Totally agree. The root of the problem is that irresponsible, dangerous and reckless driving is still broadly socially acceptable. "they're only young and having fun" is the usual argument trotted out until the next round of hand wringing over deaths.

It was interesting to read the recent Wick Community Council minutes where the owner of the Norseman Hotel is at his wits end with the childish and loutish driving everynight outside his hotel. The Police do vey little about it and the only suggestions are stupid things like closing the public carpark at the Riverside. You could be sure however that if there was a report of drink driving at the hotel then the Bobbies would be down there like a shot, and probably the hotelier would have his drink licence queried for not discouraging drunk drivers.

jac1791
26-Feb-11, 13:37
A lot of the posts here could / should be on a seperate thraet RE: young and driving but this i think was only started to show consideration and thought for the family, friends and loved ones of the young person that tragically lost their life in the early hours of this morning - and unless im mistaken who are we to decide if spead was involved-- is that the only was an accident happens?? i think not so maybe we should leave this threat for the reasons it was opened....

and although I dont know the individual involved - my thoughts are with his family, friends and loved ones as i can not imagine the heart ache they will be feeling at this time...

Corrie 3
26-Feb-11, 13:41
Are you the "Official" judge who decides what can or cant get posted on here?...Have you been promoted to Moderator status?
Have you ever thought that by posting road deaths like this it may just make one or two people think about how they drive on the roads in Caithness and hopefully save a life or two!!!
My condolences to the Family and friends also !!
C3.

Fran
26-Feb-11, 14:11
You know something my wife said to me the other day why do you bother posting ANYTHING . What purpose do a lot of posts on here serve,im like anyone else expressing my opinion and im truely saddened by hearing of the death of someone who have lost their life in a car crash.
I will take my final leave off the forums totally as like a lot of folk i guess who used to post wont now for the fear of saying something out of turn or merely expressing oInes opinion..... cI

I completely agree with you. this is the main reason i am not on here very often. the news is public, it is in the papers, on the news etc so i do not see why it cannot be on a forum. Please dont leave because of this, i have been through all this myself.

Doreen
26-Feb-11, 14:42
Are you the "Official" judge who decides what can or cant get posted on here?...Have you been promoted to Moderator status?
Have you ever thought that by posting road deaths like this it may just make one or two people think about how they drive on the roads in Caithness and hopefully save a life or two!!!
My condolences to the Family and friends also !!
C3.
Agree with you corrie who does he think he is My condolences go to his family also.

Thumper
26-Feb-11, 15:36
Playing a bit of devils advocate here,but perhaps Droopy is somehow related to this young man who died? If so then yes he would probably be upset,and perhaps over sensitive to the post. Thats said i agree that it is nice to put condolences on here,but NOT to pick apart the whys and wherefors of what happened,thats another discussion completely and in rather bad taste to talk about it on this thread IMO,however the accident happened,the simple fact is that a young man,who i must say was a lovely lad has died,talking about road safety will not change that,perhaps in a few days then open a new thread to discusss drivers in the county,but please not on this thread x

porshiepoo
26-Feb-11, 15:46
Have to agree with you Corrie3. This forum is now so policed by jumped up individuals who have nothing better to do but scour the org for something to complain about.

We all have a right to freedom of speech and to discuss any subject we wish to. No one has the right to dictate what we can and can't talk about - if they don't like the thread they can ignore it and trot on.

Thumper perhaps this person is connected in some way but the opening thread was not insensitive in any way whatsoever. This forum is for the local community to connect and road issues are a priority as far as I'm concerned. With so many deaths on our roads I don't think we can talk enough about the subject - we need more awareness and sending condolences to a family that have lost a loved one is not a topic that should be removed.

I lost a cousin to a RTA not so long ago and community spirit can help parents etc so much in the following months. This forum is some peoples only way of getting their voice heard and no one has the right to take that away.

To the family who lost a loved one this morning, my thoughts go out to you. x

Walter Ego
26-Feb-11, 15:47
The past case history on here on threads of this nature is that they get closed down as soon as someone dares to raise the issue of social acceptability of certain driving practices on Caithness roads and streets.

You are really not getting it, are you?

A thread about passing on condolences to the recently bereaved is no place for dragging out your soapbox.

Is that simple enough for you or are you so stupid you can't see it? Start a thread on road safety if you're that bothered - but I notice you didn't do that last time you tried this obnoxious trolling on a thread about condolences.[disgust]

donnick
26-Feb-11, 16:09
my condolences to the young lad family and all his friends .

gleeber
26-Feb-11, 16:35
Listen the whole o ye. Yer all as bad as one another.

debimac
26-Feb-11, 16:46
Listen the whole o ye. Yer all as bad as one another.

well said. At such a sad time for the families and friends involved a bit of thought wouldn't go amiss!

sandyr1
26-Feb-11, 17:53
You are really not getting it, are you?

A thread about passing on condolences to the recently bereaved is no place for dragging out your soapbox.

Is that simple enough for you or are you so stupid you can't see it? Start a thread on road safety if you're that bothered - but I notice you didn't do that last time you tried this obnoxious trolling on a thread about condolences.[disgust]

Cheese Whiz WE... Are there no nicer words......

annemarie482
26-Feb-11, 19:33
such sad news to wake up to :(

my thoughts go out to the familys and friends at such a terrible time. xxxx

Walter Ego
26-Feb-11, 20:31
Cheese Whiz WE... Are there no nicer words......

Not sure what you mean, Sandy - your post's a bit ambiguous.

If you mean that I should cut Chordie some slack - then no way. Could you imagine (being ex - Plod) lecturing the bereaved about road safety after you've just scraped their son off the road after he's died in an RTA? You'd be lucky if you left the house with any teeth still on your head, wouldn't you?

If you mean I haven't really offered my condolences on here - then you're right. Nothing personal, but it doesn't mean that I think any less about what has happened.

chordie
26-Feb-11, 20:35
... after you've just scraped their son off the road after he's died in an RTA....

Well isn't that the most wonderful language to use in a thread like this ?!?

Walter Ego
26-Feb-11, 20:37
Well isn't that the most wonderful language to use in a thread like this ?!?

QED.

No more from me on this thread out of respect. I know when to pick a fight or back off.

Godbye.

shazzap
26-Feb-11, 21:09
First of all, my condolences to the family on their sad loss.

From some one who has had pesonal experience of this kind, i can honestly say that the first post would not of offended me. Infact it would give some comfort to think that others were thinking of me and my family.

But it seems some on here are just IMHO out to cause trouble and stress, were it is not needed or warranted. Bullies. Infact i could swear

Dadie
26-Feb-11, 21:48
Wont say this often.
But in defence of Walter Ego for the use of his discription of an RTA, most emergency service personnel will use words like that if not worse to dehumanise the victim (if thats the right terminology) so they can get on and do what they have to do, which is not a nice part of their jobs.
Doesnt mean they dont feel it, but it helps keep them apart from the grim reality of what they are doing at the time, and it may make them seem callous or unfeeling but thats the way they keep control as they have to.
I will stop there before I hit a backlash...besides im tangling myself up in what I want to say without a load of red boxes on my rep.

But its a very sad thing that happened and a lot of people will be hurting at the moment.
2 families and lots of friends have had their lives turned upside down by this tragic accident, dont forget that.

sandyr1
26-Feb-11, 22:20
QED.

No more from me on this thread out of respect. I know when to pick a fight or back off.

Godbye.

Walter E........Nothing personal...just thinking of the situation....everyone treats things differently..I know that.
Ex Plod.. I just luv the British way....reminds me of....long ago!
And Dadie.... I understand that Emergency Services are sometimes in another World having to deal with these things....'been there...done that'.... BUT that should be left where it belongs..at the scene, in the Amb or Hosp!

Generally the Original Post wasn't bad...It's just the 'Robust' way that everyone got involved.......

Dadie
27-Feb-11, 00:54
I disagree.
If talking helps no matter how earthy the language is its good!
There is nothing worse than someone on the frontline bottling up feelings and thoughts for later...and not dealing with what they have seen.
Therefore I am all for them expressing their thoughts on here if need be to let off steam and get some support!
Its needed as much as the families involved need support!

doodlebug
27-Feb-11, 01:28
I just wonder wot kind of life u all lead???? Have u nothing better to do than tittal tattle on the org????? Believe u me, I think its absolutely terrible that u have nothing better to do with ur time. I really mean BELIEVE YOU ME!!!!
PLEASE REMOVE ALL THIS FROM THE ORG!!!!!!!

sandyr1
27-Feb-11, 04:30
I disagree.
There is nothing worse than someone on the frontline bottling up feelings and thoughts for later...and not dealing with what they have seen.
Therefore I am all for them expressing their thoughts on here if need be to let off steam and get some support!

Wowee...I'm out of this one.

oldmarine
27-Feb-11, 06:02
A lot of comments with people expressing their opinions. I find no problem with any of them.

Corrie 3
27-Feb-11, 10:09
I just wonder wot kind of life u all lead???? Have u nothing better to do than tittal tattle on the org????? Believe u me, I think its absolutely terrible that u have nothing better to do with ur time. I really mean BELIEVE YOU ME!!!!
PLEASE REMOVE ALL THIS FROM THE ORG!!!!!!!
Yep, lets start by removing your post!!!!!
If you hadnt noticed its not tittle tattle, its people showing concern that yet another life has been lost to our Caithness roads and another family in mourning and another set of friends who have lost a Pal!!
You strike me as yet another who would like to sweep things under the carpet and pretend it never happened. Well I'm sorry, it does happen and it happens far to much here in Caithness.
Now, havent you got something better to do with your time?....:mad:

Corrie 3........:eek::cool:

Torvaig
27-Feb-11, 12:01
I disagree.

I fully support and agree with what you are saying Dadie but the point some of us are trying to make is that THIS THREAD was set up as a condolences thread and meant to give support and sympathy to the tragic families involved.

Instead it has descended into blame and beratement which the families do not need to read on a thread supposed to be sending them support and sympathy regarding their loved ones. I sincerely hope no-one directs them to this one.

Let people start another thread on the subject of the proliferation of road accidents that has blighted many Caithness families lives if that is what they wish to do....

chordie
27-Feb-11, 12:14
Let people start another thread on the subject of the proliferation of road accidents that has blighted many Caithness families lives if that is what they wish to do....

But everytime we do it gets closed down and deleted because of the overly excitable minority who complain we shouldn't discuss the reasons behind road deaths for fear of offending someone. Which is incredible given the tasteless terminology used in a post further up in this thread by AlterEgo.

Gizmo
27-Feb-11, 13:08
But everytime we do it gets closed down and deleted because of the overly excitable minority who complain we shouldn't discuss the reasons behind road deaths for fear of offending someone. Which is incredible given the tasteless terminology used in a post further up in this thread by AlterEgo.

Good grief man, give it a rest. You're like a broken record.

sandyr1
27-Feb-11, 16:01
I fully support and agree with what you are saying Dadie but the point some of us are trying to make is that THIS THREAD was set up as a condolences thread and meant to give support and sympathy to the tragic families involved.

Instead it has descended into blame and beratement which the families do not need to read on a thread supposed to be sending them support and sympathy regarding their loved ones. I sincerely hope no-one directs them to this one.

You have hit the nail on the Head! Well said.