PDA

View Full Version : Councillor's subsistence rates [Highland]

Puzzled
25-Feb-11, 14:50
Does anyone else think these are rather generous? How do they equate to what HC employees can claim?

From: http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9E9AF2BB-C822-437D-BAF9-2940A6520A87/0/membersremunerationexpenses0910.pdf
(http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9E9AF2BB-C822-437D-BAF9-2940A6520A87/0/membersremunerationexpenses0910.pdf)
Appendix 3 – Members Expenditure and Maximum Rates
1. Motor Mileage
The rate for travel by private motor vehicle is 40p per mile.
2. Motorcycle Mileage
The rate for travel is 24p per mile
3. Passenger Supplement
The passenger rate is 5p per mile (per passenger on official Council business)
4. Bicycle Mileage
The rate for travel by bicycle is 20p per mile
5. Meals
Breakfast Allowance (only where no overnight re-imbursement is claimed) £ 8.00
(before 12 noon)
Lunch Allowance £12.00
(between 12 noon and 16.00hrs)
Dinner Allowance £25.00
(after 16.00 hours)
A receipt is required for any claim made and re-imbursement will be made at the
receipted amount up to the above maximums. Entitlement to claim is dependent on
the member being away from home for over 3 hours.
6. Overnight Accommodation
Overnight from the usual place of residence for Bed & Breakfast £ 110
Overnight in London for Bed & Breakfast £131
A receipt is required for any claim made and re-imbursement will be made at the
receipted amount up to the above maximums.
Family and Friends rate £25
No receipt required but the name and address must be provided.

Beat Bug
25-Feb-11, 15:32
The travelling allowance is average. 40p per mile is the maximum amount that can be paid tax free, up to 4,000 miles per year. The allowance for meals and overnight accommodation is a bit high, but anything over £10 (I believe that's still the limit) for overnight accommodation is taxable. Lunch and dinner allowances are also a bit high, but alcohol, even a glass of wine or a beer with a meal, is taxable, and shouldn't be claimable, especially as the tax payer is funding it!

charlie
25-Feb-11, 15:33
These are typical HMRC scale rates for subsistence payments,etc.

I would assume that if HC employees incurred subsistence expenses while travelling on
an allowable business journey, them HC would be able to pay these expenses amounts
tax-free.

The important clause here is "A receipt is required for any claim made and re-imbursement will be made at the receipted amount up to the above maximums.

golach
25-Feb-11, 15:43
This does not seem excessive to me, check other large establishments for their expenses, you will find they are about the norm

Alice in Blunderland
25-Feb-11, 15:47
Not excessive to me similar to some other organisations.

Dadie
25-Feb-11, 15:55
not excessive.
And has limits set as for the maximum they can claim.
And apart from the mileage they can only claim for the actual cost, up to the maximum.
How many places can you actually get a decent meal for £25?
Rather than the multi chain places where you know your meal is ready by the beep of the microwave?
And as for accomodation, the costs can vary depending on how much notice for the room etc..and £110 is not unreasonable when you consider a travellodge room (no breakfast) can cost £70+

picturegifts
25-Feb-11, 16:15
Is there any way of finding out what each Highland councillor is claiming in expenses per year?
This would then enable us to compare different councillors expenses

charlie
25-Feb-11, 16:20
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/yourcouncillors/councillorsconduct/membersexpenses.htm

seadog
25-Feb-11, 16:35
I would expect that these figures are pretty average.

I would question the milage allowance for a motorcycle is a bit low as bigger bikes are as expensive to run as a car and a lot less milage out of a back tyre so believe this should also be 40 ppm. Small bikes and scooters are a lot cheaper to run.

Venture
25-Feb-11, 16:45
The travelling allowance is average. 40p per mile is the maximum amount that can be paid tax free, up to 4,000 miles per year.

Highland Council employees are paid 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter.

theone
25-Feb-11, 17:07
Not excessive for me.

I've worked for several companies and most of the rates are pretty standard. The milage rate matches what I get but the hotel room allowance is less.

poppett
25-Feb-11, 17:35
When travelling to hospital the mileage rate is 15 (fifteen) pence per mile. £27.50 towards bed and breakfast accommodation. This is considered to be reimbursement of travel costs.................comes nowhere near it.

The court rate is the same for witness attendance for mileage and if overnight stay is required the crown office arrange this through an agency and there is a £15 voucher included towards an evening meal.

Puzzled
25-Feb-11, 18:33
Highland Council employees are paid 40p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter.

For staying overnight with a friend employees can claim £15 - councillors £25

There are other discrepancies - dinner £10 employees/£25 councillors. Why isn't there one list that all have to abide by?

burstbucker
25-Feb-11, 19:06

Employees only get 40p a mile up to 75 miles per day, it then reduces to 11p, and no lunch or dinner allowances.

gollach
25-Feb-11, 19:44
I've only got 11p per mile on my expenses :(
Why isn't it one rate for everyone who has to travel on council business?

theone
25-Feb-11, 21:34
For staying overnight with a friend employees can claim £15 - councillors £25

There are other discrepancies - dinner £10 employees/£25 councillors. Why isn't there one list that all have to abide by?

Maybe not fair, but not abnormal.

Senior figure/managers often have higher allowances.

theone
25-Feb-11, 21:35
I've only got 11p per mile on my expenses :(
Why isn't it one rate for everyone who has to travel on council business?

I would refuse to use my own car at that rate.

It wouldn't cover fuel, let alone wear and tear.

gollach
25-Feb-11, 22:52
I would refuse to use my own car at that rate.

It wouldn't cover fuel, let alone wear and tear.

Problem is that nobody in Inverness schedules meetings or training events to start at a time that allows you to take the early train or bus. It is a disgrace.

Puzzled
25-Feb-11, 23:33
Maybe not fair, but not abnormal.

Senior figure/managers often have higher allowances.

Why should they - they have higher salaries! Time that managers/councillors accepted that 'cuts' and expenses are all part of one big problem. If we are 'all' in this together start making it transparent!