PDA

View Full Version : Dyson hoovers

robby50x
28-Aug-06, 07:30
I have a dyson hoover they are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, I don't think so.After about 4 to 5 minutes it cuts out every time without fail all pipes are clear so it is not that that is wrong Has anyone else got this problems with the dyson and is their a way to bypass these incessant horrible really annoying cutouts

percy toboggan
28-Aug-06, 07:48
They have an excellent help line which might be able to give you some assistance. They also have good coverage with engineers who are prompt and very helpful.
We have just had a new motor fitted -after six years, and fully expect to get another six years from this machine. They are a cut above the rest in my opinion.

Good luck.

lassieinfife
28-Aug-06, 08:04
I had a dyson and thought it was the worst machine I ever bought...gave it to my daughter, she hated it .[evil]
I boughta Hoover Hurricaine... no that a great machine would buy another if one I have conks out

Ricco
28-Aug-06, 08:06
We have a Dyson and have had around 6 years excellent service out of it. Have you changed your two filters? If these get clogged there will probably be a safety cutout somewhere and this may be kicking in. Try taking both filters out, run the machine for a while, then out one filter back at a time to find oout which one is causing the cutout. Hope this helps; also, try their helpline.

Naefearjustbeer
28-Aug-06, 09:04
We had a dyson for about 6 years when it started to play up, we found it to be heavy and unweildy to dash about with. When pricing the new parts it required the man in the shop told us that the new dysons wouldnt last 3 years let alone 6 as they had a list of things that went phut on them. So after some carefull thought we went for a new panasonic cleaner which was cheaper than the price of the parts required. It is lighter and better in every way to the old dyson and it goes right up to the edge of the carpet which was one of my pet hates about the dyson.

Whitewater
28-Aug-06, 09:40
My daughter had a Dyson, didn't like it. We have never had one ourselves. At one stage, we used to use upright models all the time, but found that we were wrecking them after 2 to 3 years. About 15 years ago we bought a 'Nilfisk' it has been great, never broke down and works as well as when it was new. Just need to replace the filters and bags when reguired. Can recommend it to you all.

unicorn
28-Aug-06, 09:42
I just bought a new one as cables were hanging out of my old one of 6 years I think I must have stood on cable once too often while hoovering.

Venture
28-Aug-06, 09:58
I had this problem and apparaently its because the motor is over heating and cuts out due to a thermostat safety valve. It wont come back on until it cools down. I found this really annoying and it always happened when I needed to have the hoovering done in a hurry.

Ann
28-Aug-06, 10:07
I think Ricco's post covers this; if a filter is clogged, the machine will overheat and will trigger a cutout.

golach
28-Aug-06, 10:08
I bought Mrs G a Dyson for her birthday, to make her life easier [disgust] she does not like it...too heavy she says....who uses it now.....Me:confused

The Judge
28-Aug-06, 10:16
Mrs Judge and I have bought our second Dyson recently. The first one eventually went to vacum heaven after years of bad use. The new machine is called the animal, so we do not use it near the cats as it will suck all in its path. So superb machines in our household and if ever any problem, as mentioned, great helpline and spare parts.

lassieinfife
28-Aug-06, 11:00
I bought Mrs G a Dyson for her birthday, to make her life easier [disgust] she does not like it...too heavy she says....who uses it now.....Me:confused

Serves you right for buying her a vacuum in the first place... hahaha

changilass
28-Aug-06, 12:03
We have a Miele cat and dog hoover. We bought it after seeing it recommended in Which magazine.

We hovered th living room carpet with our old vax and then rehoovered it eith the Miele, it looked like a new carpet, seriously impressed.

Would recommend Miele to anyone:D

katarina
28-Aug-06, 13:33
I love my dyson! I'm on my third. (vacumns in any make never last very long with me) but I have found the dyson to be the best yet as far as upright vacumns go. By the way, you can't have a dyson hoover. They are two different companies.
ps. We had a Nilfisk at work. expensive at the time but it lasted seventeen years - well worth it.

lynne duncan
28-Aug-06, 13:47
on our previous dyson I had the same fault, what I found it to be was where the power cable enters the dyson had been pulled once to often and there was a broken wire which was touching ever now and then, ie power off then power on. took it to pieces and rewired it and it worked ok for another 3 years until the motor went. so it maybe worth getting somebody to check the cable.

unicorn
28-Aug-06, 13:49
I cant get into it lol..

bigpete
28-Aug-06, 14:50
Hi Had a dyson for years, I know it may sound rather obvious, but is it a sealed plug? the fuse is kept in by a piece of levered plastic, sometimes this loosens and the power goes off and on intermittently - took my wife ages to work out why the thing kept stopping and starting..

Just a thought

Buttercup
28-Aug-06, 16:15
I've had my upright Dyson for approx 7 years and would hate to go back to the Electrolux we had before ~ there's just no comparison. The Dyson has far better suction. And the parts are very easily available on line.

Tristan
28-Aug-06, 16:27
We have a Miele cat and dog hoover. We bought it after seeing it recommended in Which magazine.

We hovered th living room carpet with our old vax and then rehoovered it eith the Miele, it looked like a new carpet, seriously impressed.

Would recommend Miele to anyone:D

I would agree having had an electolux and a dyson the Miele Cat and Dog is an outstanding vacume.

George Brims
28-Aug-06, 17:24
I have a question for all you Dyson users. How do you empty it? Do you just tip the dust into your dustbin? If so, how do you avoid inhaling all the stuff you just sucked out of your carpets?

Our machine is a US model Hoover, with HEPA filtration. It's the first vacuum cleaner I've ever been able to use without sneezing. If I'm careful I can dispose of a full bag without a sneezing fit also.

rainbow
28-Aug-06, 17:28
I had a Dyson and thought it was nothing special. People say 'It picks up more stoor', but this is only because they can see it in the clear body of the machine. How can they compare it to a 'closed in' hoover? Once my Dyson died on me after several years I replaced it with a Henry and it is much better than the Dyson. One solution is to ban the husband and kids from the house and then you will never have to hoover again!!!!???

porshiepoo
28-Aug-06, 17:57
I've had Dysons for years now and wouldn't switch to any other make.

I phoned for a couple of spare parts a few months ago as the hose split and I'd lost the attatchment nozzle and brush, and they sent them out to me FOC.

If you have a problem with a Dyson then ring em up and arrange for them to pick it up (via post van) and they'll service it for £55. That includes the picking it up and dropping it back off to your door and any necessary repairs, all new filters etc etc. In fact it covers everything except the motor.

Woolie
28-Aug-06, 21:24
I have a dyson and love it would never go back to any other now they have a brill help line on their web site try that but as some one has said try washing your filters as mine did that and when i cleaned them it was fine .

Geo
28-Aug-06, 23:32
We got a Dyson DC07 Animal a few years ago. When we first used it it was brilliant. However it quickly went downhill with a few hose splits and finally a motor burn out. Dyson customer services have always been excellent, sending new parts within a few days, however to my mind for an item that cost so much at the time it is extremely unreliable. I would never buy another.

Full review here:
http://www.hookeslaw.com/dyson.htm

Ricco
29-Aug-06, 14:22
I have a question for all you Dyson users. How do you empty it? Do you just tip the dust into your dustbin? If so, how do you avoid inhaling all the stuff you just sucked out of your carpets?

Our machine is a US model Hoover, with HEPA filtration. It's the first vacuum cleaner I've ever been able to use without sneezing. If I'm careful I can dispose of a full bag without a sneezing fit also.

Hi, George. I take the cylinder outside and empty it into the dustbin, giving it a few slaps to knock out any extra dust. One in a while I pull the cyclonotron thingey out and give all parts a wash and dry. You can wash the flat dust filter in the sink and dry it for reuse. Can't do the same for the Hepa filter, though... but it does last 12 months.

Whitewater
29-Aug-06, 14:48

Hi George, we can get HEPA filtration here as well, but not usually on sale in the normal domestic stores. They are used in the Nuclear industry to ensure that no radioactive particles will be levitated through blasting out through the exhaust.

Earlhickey
29-Aug-06, 19:28
I have just replaced my Dyson with another one the first one lasted 9 years. Wouldn't think about another make. Parts are cheap and easy to get off the internet if you need them.

obiron
29-Aug-06, 19:35
One solution is to ban the husband and kids from the house and then you will never have to hoover again!!!!???

LOL wouldnt that be just great imagine how tidy a house would be.[lol]

Naefearjustbeer
29-Aug-06, 20:57
Hi George, we can get HEPA filtration here as well, but not usually on sale in the normal domestic stores. They are used in the Nuclear industry to ensure that no radioactive particles will be levitated through blasting out through the exhaust.

Our one had a hepa filter in it. I didnt realise you were meant to change it every 12 months ours must of been in for 6 years :eek:

Fran
30-Aug-06, 00:08
I have a dyson hoover they are supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, I don't think so.After about 4 to 5 minutes it cuts out every time without fail all pipes are clear so it is not that that is wrong Has anyone else got this problems with the dyson and is their a way to bypass these incessant horrible really annoying cutouts

If it is still under guarantee take it back to where you got it!!:Razz

Victor Vendetta
30-Aug-06, 18:56

We had 2 dysons and they are definitely over rated plus the price of spares is pretty steep.
The second one kept cutting out and I traced it to where the cable goes into the machine.It's not secured properly within the machine and the constant working back and forwards as you use it breaks down the cable inside.
At about £250 a hit we just bought a £90 panasonic instead and you can hoover it into the ground.
They are awkward to get into but if you can just cut off the last couple of inches of cable and remake it.
Best of luck.

emszxr
30-Aug-06, 19:12
i have a dyson animal , had it for 4 years now. its broken down a few times and was cutting out, but hubby takes it apart and cleans it and its like new again. but i do hoover a lot, twice a day, so i cant complain.

squidge
30-Aug-06, 19:15
I have had my dyson for two and a half years and it is great. I havent had onemoments problem with it although it didnt like the shake and vac lol